Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Where did the year go???

Not that I'm complaining that 2022 is now practically all behind us.....

Worst thing is I still don't know what's for supper............

(sigh)

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had gone to lunch with Lyn ~ she needed a break ~ and after eating Chinese for lunch I really had no desire for any more meals. But HE was expecting something.....

So, chicken chunks and zucchini. It was fine. At least he got his fill.....

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_01_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Food eats today was pickings of whatever one wanted.... I had a stick of soprasata; a piece of cheese, and a slice of bread
Just don't know what to cook anymore.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Just don't know what to cook anymore.

Boy, I understand THAT, Jimmy! With just the two of us the job of coming to a decision of WHAT to fix is 5X more difficult than when I was cooking for our family of 4. The girls would often come up with ideas of what sounded good to them and then the decision was made.

I've always said if someone would just come up with the idea I'd have no problem preparing any meal (as long as I had the ingredients). But to try to come up with an idea, check for availability and then cook....it's sometimes really difficult.

But, on a bright side, Dane is going out for a 'guys' night' and I don't have to cook tonight. I'll either find something in the refrigerator or have a bowl of cold cereal....I won't starve, I'm sure!

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was having dinner with Jim & Patrick (no girls allowed!) and that meant I didn't have to cook! Woo Hoo!!!

I ended up taking the golf cart over to go through the Chick-fil-A drive-thru and got some chicken fingers and a kale crunch salad (kale with a very light dijon dressing and a sprinkle of chopped almonds).

So we both were happy campers.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was Dr. Day for me. Got home at 12:00 and had Coffee and a cookie.
Supper was a steak; peppers, and onions, fried and piled high on lightly toasted white wonder bread and a slice of cheese.
Right now, I'm planning what to cook for tomorrow. I was thinking minestra. Spinach and canneloni beans and potatoes with fennel seeds. We have 4 bags of baby spinach. Then, I have shrimp;so I could make shrimp scampi to have also......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. Lindbergh broil fro my favourite butcher shop and Prato, carrot, mushroom and onion Roasted together."

(from Beth ~ I think the 'auto correct fairy' helped Lore out....maybe London Broil and Potato, carrot, mushroom & onion.............)

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_02_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

This week's "Ladies' Lunch" was at an Italian Steakhouse in Brownwood, a Villages town center about 20 minutes drive from our house. Most of the ladies in the neighborhood think it's 'too far' to drive so they don't go there. Truly, it's an easy drive on main streets and isn't a problem. HOWEVER.....trying to get 9 ladies all into a restaurant at the same time is like herding cats! Every time I organize an outing like this, asking for R.S.V.P. of who'd like to go and arranging drivers....it's always more work than I care to do anymore. So I think we'll go back to just lunching in the two town centers near us that everyone is familiar with and can get to without car pooling.

Lunch was lovely. The restaurant had a nice brunch menu ~ even had a 'Bloody Mary Bar' where you could add any number of garnishes to your bloody mary ~ and reasonably priced (same as most other restaurants in the area) at $7 each). They even provide disposable gloves for everyone to wear to go through the buffet style line to add garnishes.

I had crab cake benedicts, came with potatoes or mixed fruit. It was a very ample serving and very tasty, full of lots of crab and no filler that I could detect.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_03_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today We did Grazing. No appetite for me, and maybe it is an aftershock after I got the Flue shot yesterday at the doctors.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today We did Grazing. No appetite for me, and maybe it is an aftershock after I got the Flue shot yesterday at the doctors.

Every year I get my flu shot. And EVERY YEAR I end up in bed for 95% of the day after. My doctor says it's all 'in my head' and there's no reason for me to feel ill ~ but it's the same every year and if she doesn't believe me then the 'bad' is on her.

It still doesn't deter me from getting it ~ I do NOT want to have a really bad case of flu and be sick for weeks.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was Scalora e fagioli ( escarole and beans ).Only I used baby spinach instead
of escarole. I grew up on that.
I am getting ready to have a 1/2 cup of ice cream as soon as I close out.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a chicken breast and then had to come up with an idea of what to make with it. I decided on chicken cutlets ~ a half breast sliced across and pounded to make it all the same thickness......seasoned, dredged in flour, then egg and finally in panko and allowed to sit in the refrigerator for the panko to absorb the moisture of the egg. And, Ta Da!, the breading stayed put and didn't fall off in the skillet! Green beans were from the ones grown in the patio pots ~ the ones that are pole beans (flat & with string that have to be stripped off....yuck!) but with a really good taste and, surprisingly, no strings once eaten.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_04_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Definitely not inspiring, but I have to use what I have. It’s Salmon, some Delicata squash and baby potatoes. I’ scrounging, because I am in quarantine. I’ve got the blankety blank virus. Don’t know how long I have to stay home. I’m ok, it’s basically like having a nasty cold. My stomach muscles are soooo sore from coughing."

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_04_19

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, goodness, Lore.....I hope it's a short illness. Do you have any homemade chicken stock? It's really good to sip and helps with any congestion & cough.

I'm sure you have someone who can drop supplies/food off at your door.

Get plenty of rest, lots of fluids and call for help when you need it.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Feel Better Lore. Like Beth said,......Rest and drink chicken broth or bouillon.
Mucinex cold and flue is a good OTC cough syrup is also good.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Today's dinner was spaghetti with meatballs, pull-apart garlic bread and pecan cobblerDecember, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Image19December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Image-28
December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Image-27
December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Image-28

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a package of Johnsonville Brats in the refrigerator and thought it was a good night to have them. So I hard cooked some eggs (Norm's steaming method that produces perfectly lovely peeled eggs every time), cut up some celery and boiled the elbow macaroni. My dressing is a combination of Miracle Whip, Hellmann's Mayo, Sour Cream and assorted herbs from the garden pots. A certain someone had second helpings so I have to assume it was tasty!

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_05_13

NormM

NormM

Great minds? We also pineapple bratwursts for dinner tonight. Steamed our then browned them in the skillet December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Img_0411
December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! Img_0410

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had tortellini with marinara sauce. No desire to even eat today.. I still blame it on the flue shot I got on Friday.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just in case you want to 'Copy Cat' me again tonight, Norm, I'll let you know I'm going to make Alton Brown's oven chicken wings.......

Hahahahahahaha!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soppy Joes tonight. It's cooking on the stove right now. December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 3470128989

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was shocked to be complimented tonight on the crispy quality of the Buffalo Wings! It's always nice to have that happen. I did mention that it's thanks to my friend from Kansas, Norm, for alerting me to the cooking method because he was the first to give it a try.

They really did turn out nice and crunchy tonight. I think my air fry convection oven helps a lot but they're as crispy as if they were deep fried ~ without that deep fry mess.

We finished up the leftover macaroni salad and I used the last of a head of cabbage to make some Asian Slaw to go with the Buffalo Wings.

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_06_18

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_06_19

December, 2022 ~ Yikes! the year is almost over!!! 12_06_20

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Shout out to Lore if you check in without anything cooking.....I hope you're feeling better and your illness is short and not hard on you. I know you're getting care from friends in your building and your 'close-by' son.

Feel better soon!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Again I'm struck with the 'what-should-I-fix-for-supper' syndrome.....

Nothing sounds good. I'm tired. I tried to take a nap but that wasn't successful. So I finally settled on a rotisserie chicken, along with some corn cut from the cob as I have 2 ears of corn in the refrigerator.

And I think that'll be it.

I know there won't be much cooked in the next few days ~ DD#1 is coming for a short 2 day visit. I know tomorrow we'll be going to lunch with Lyn so supper will be cheese & crackers.....maybe some thawed & heated until bubbly Buffalo Chicken Dip from the freezer. Friday Dane will be going to lunch with Andrea & me at the new seafood restaurant just opened by us so there won't be any supper that night, either. And Saturday we'll be taking her back to catch her flight in Orlando and having a late lunch with Jim & Tori.

Maybe on Sunday I'll scramble some eggs.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was leftover minestra ( cooked spinach ) and tortellini. Ginger snaps for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum