Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

76What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was delicious.....

BUT THERE WERE TOO MANY MOVING PARTS ~~~ I guess that's why it's important to think, "Is it worth this much effort???"

LOL

I have only myself to blame for being exhausted.....AND too full. I should have had either soup OR flatbread. IF I want soup AND flatbread.......ORDER IT AT SEASONS 52 !!! Hahahahaha!

I mean, I started working on this meal at 9:30 this morning. I wasn't working the entire day but I was putzing around with one thing or another most of the day. I did have the bacon in the freezer. When I made BLT's I had used the leftover slices to precook for this meal.....they were seasoned with a good sprinkle of the Cajun seasoning and cooked to just about half way, knowing the bacon would crisp up on the flatbreads when I got around to making them.

I will say the lavash flatbread I picked up in the deli at Publix was just the thickness & crispness I was looking for. That was a lucky guess! The flatbread got a brushing of olive oil then a sprinkle of microplaned parmesan cheese. Then the char-grilled corn & onions got sprinkled on as well as a little bit of shredded mozzarella. Then the sliced moz went on top and finally the precooked spicy bacon.

It went into a 450° oven for under 10 minutes, just until everything was melted & crispy. I baked it all on parchment so I could easily put it on the preheated roasting pan and pull it off to a cooling rack.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_18

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_19

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_20

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_21

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_22

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_23

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_24

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

77What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Supper was delicious.....

BUT THERE WERE TOO MANY MOVING PARTS ~~~  I guess that's why it's important to think, "Is it worth this much effort???"    

LOL

I have only myself to blame for being exhausted.....AND too full.  I should have had either soup OR flatbread.  IF I want soup AND flatbread.......ORDER IT AT SEASONS 52 !!!    Hahahahaha!

I mean, I started working on this meal at 9:30 this morning.  I wasn't working the entire day but I was putzing around with one thing or another most of the day.  I did have the bacon in the freezer.  When I made BLT's I had used the leftover slices to precook for this meal.....they were seasoned with a good sprinkle of the Cajun seasoning and cooked to just about half way, knowing the bacon would crisp up on the flatbreads when I got around to making them.

I will say the lavash flatbread I picked up in the deli at Publix was just the thickness & crispness I was looking for.  That was a lucky guess!  The flatbread got a brushing of olive oil then a sprinkle of microplaned parmesan cheese.  Then the char-grilled corn & onions got sprinkled on as well as a little bit of shredded mozzarella.  Then the sliced moz went on top and finally the precooked spicy bacon.  

It went into a 450° oven for under 10 minutes, just until everything was melted & crispy.  I baked it all on parchment so I could easily put it on the preheated roasting pan and pull it off to a cooling rack.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_18

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_19

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_20

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_21

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_22

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_23

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_24

Wow! What a nice presentation. Very Happy

bethk likes this post

78What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is what happens when the chef falls asleep when cooking. The steak was tender, but a little dark. the onions turned to coal.
All and All, I am glad she got to take a nap. She does so much for everybody. She deserves the rest.
I have a pic and also, a pic of DD clearing out the cabinets with old expired stuff. I will come back after I get it downloaded.....  

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Img_2211
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Img_2212
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Img_2213

bethk and NormM like this post

79What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Not very hungry, as I snacked earlier. And I’m lazy! So, I opened a can of chicken, added some radishes, micro greens and mayo. Boiled an ear of corn. Yummy!"

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_15_25

80What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, the pot roast still looks good!

Tell Maria she can drop by here and do MY pantry anytime she'd like. She did what I need to do. But I'm too lazy to deal with it.

81What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked Dane to decide on somewhere to go for supper.

He then decided he didn't want to go out.

So.......no supper here tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

82What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had sloppy Joes that Tina made.....

bethk likes this post

83What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane said his friend is planning to stop by around 4:00 and to hold off on supper.

Well, I have news for him......I don't cook after 5:00.

So IF we have any supper at all, it'll be carry-out.

I have a small rib eye steak thawed in the refrigerator that I got out last night to thaw in the refrigerator. It'll be fine until tomorrow.

But there's no way I'll start cooking at 6 p.m. when that's the usual time HE goes to relax in bed.

And if he'd let me know earlier I could have had another steak thawed and prepared supper for all of us.

84What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:55 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Beth, would you share a good Salisbury steak recipe? Thank you. I'm going to visit my family next month, and pretty soon I'll need to cook some meals for their dinner, now I have 6 lbs ground beef and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage in my freezer. Meatloaf, meatballs, lasagna, shepherd pie are already on the list, I'll get more meat later [/size]

Imelda ~ here's the basic recipe I use for both my meatloaf and Salisbury Steaks.....as usual, it's not so much a 'recipe' as a method for you to customize to your tastes.

Meat Loaf (and Salisbury Steak Patties)

1 ½ lb. Lean Ground Beef (85% lean)
1 lb. Bulk Breakfast Sausage (tube pkg such as Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean brand)
1 c. Dry Bread Crumbs – plain or seasoned
2 Eggs – beaten
1 – 8 oz. can Tomato Paste
½ c. Chopped Onion
½ c. Grated Carrot
½ c. Chopped Celery
1 ½ t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
1 t. Dried Thyme
1 t. Dried Marjoram

Saute onion, carrot & celery in evoo until tender ~ sometimes I need to add a bit of water & a lid to speed the process.  Cool.

Add all ingredients to large bowl.  Mix together until all incorporated.  (easiest if you use your hands – I wear food-grade disposable gloves).  Free form loaf on a foil or parchment lined rimmed baking pan or press into a 9 X 4 X 3 loaf pan.  Top with glaze if desired.  Bake @ 350* for 1 hour – 1 ¼ hour or until internal temperature reaches 165*.

Glaze:  Mix 3 Tbs. Brown Sugar, 1 t. Dry Mustard, 1 t. Dry Ginger, ¼ t. Ground Nutmeg.  Stir in ¼ c. Ketsup.  Spoon glaze over top of meat before baking.

Salisbury Steak with Gravy

Meat mixture can be formed into patties to make Salisbury Steak & Gravy.  I often mix up, form into patties and freeze on plastic lined sheet tray until frozen, then store in zip loc plastic bag and remove/thaw only what I need for a meal.

Dredge thawed patties in a bit of seasoned flour. Brown patties in hot evoo.  When browned (but not cooked through) remove from pan and brown some sliced mushrooms & a sliced onion, deglaze pan w/1/2 c. red wine.  Reduce for a few minutes and scrape bits from pan.  Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and mix.  When combined and a disgusting pink color, add 1 c. beef stock (I use it from a box or a can of beef consommé thinned with 1 can water) and add the meat patties back to the pan.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.  Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning patties over a couple times.  If gravy (after 30 minutes it turns a much more appealing dark brown) isn’t thick enough, remove the lid and continue over medium heat until reduced.  

Serve with mashed potatoes or hot buttered noodles or rice.

Thank you Beth, I'm making the meatloaf now, I mixed 3 lbs of ground beef, 2/3 for meatloaf, 1/3 for stuffed bell pepper ( I added some cooked and seasoned Quinoa ) for my stuffed peppers.

bethk likes this post

85What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Imelda, I came across this recipe for Salisbury steak recently, tried it and we both like it.  I have made it three or four more times and will probably make it again soon.

Sea's Salisbury Steak

2 cans French onion soup (condensed, 10 1/2 oz each)
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 lg egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp mustard powder

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef with 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper.

Shape into 6 oval patties. Brown both sides of patties in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour off excess fat.

In a bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder.

Pour over meat in skillet. Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The longer you let simmer, the thicker the gravy becomes.

Thank you Norm, I'll try it, first, I need to get the French Onion soup

bethk likes this post

86What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:55 pm

JanaAZ

I’m trying to clean out the fridge before we go away. I had some prosciutto and olives I had to use so he got a white pizza with prosciutto artichokes olives basil and 3 cheeses. I thought it could use something red but he wanted it this way. What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 997fec10
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 A2088f10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

87What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Had one hot dog on a hamburger bun. That held me over till I tasted the Minestra I had cooking on the stove. ( Escarole and beans ) actually with a little piece of diced pepperoni for flavor.
I had a little dish of that. Tina had cake with icing.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Minest10

bethk likes this post

88What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I’m trying to clean out the fridge before we go away. I had some prosciutto and olives I had to use so he got a white pizza with prosciutto artichokes olives basil and 3 cheeses. I thought it could use something red but he wanted it this way.

Your 'clean out the fridge' pizza looks amazing!

What did you use for your white base, if I may ask?

89What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had one hot dog on a hamburger bun. That held me over till I tasted the Minestra I had cooking on the stove. ( Escarole and beans ) actually with a little piece of diced pepperoni for flavor.
I had a little dish of that. Tina had cake with icing.

[size=16]Boy, Jimmy ~ ~ Your soup looks really good!  It's just like the 'old days'!

90What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I'm going to char grill my Sam's Club Prime Beef steak......I've been thinking about this meal for two days!

I have a baked sweet potato to crisp up on the grill and some lovely, sweet Florida corn cut from the cob and ready to go.

Did I mention I've been thinking of this meal for two days??????

LOL

91What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was delicious! I did slightly overcook the steak ~ but a good prime beef can still be delicious even when the cook messes up!

We loved every bite!

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_18_17

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_18_18

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 08_18_19

92What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm

NormM

NormM

I grilled some ribs in a Korean marinade. They cooked much faster than the recipe said they would. I need to do some more grilling to re-learn how to do it better.What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Image11

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

93What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made chicken meatballs baked, and then cooked in gravy, mashed potatoes, and a tomato salad.
She also made us chocolate chip cookies with the mini chocolate chips. I don't like too many chips in the cookies.

bethk likes this post

94What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

A week ago my Breville toaster oven quit working.....I pushed the 'ON' button and....''POP" ~ Nothing!

I told Dane and he said he'd take a look at it. Meanwhile, I got on the internet and inquired about 'Breville Toaster Oven Suddenly Quits Working' and follow the suggestions to a link that stated it was most probably a thermal fuse and gave a link to ordering one on Amazon....for only about $15.

So, Dane dismantled the back of the machine.....there must have be 50 or 60 itty bitty screws....and did a check of the fuse....Yup! that was the problem. It took 5 or 6 days for the part to arrive and he put it in yesterday.....IT WORKS!!!

So, he's a mechanical GENIUS! And he just saved about $250 because I would have gone out and bought another one. I use that toaster oven every day......just love it!

Horray for Dane!!!

95What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:A week ago my Breville toaster oven quit working.....I pushed the 'ON' button and....''POP" ~ Nothing!  

I told Dane and he said he'd take a look at it.  Meanwhile, I got on the internet and inquired about 'Breville Toaster Oven Suddenly Quits Working' and follow the suggestions to a link that stated it was most probably a thermal fuse and gave a link to ordering one on Amazon....for only about $15.

So, Dane dismantled the back of the machine.....there must have be 50 or 60 itty bitty screws....and did a check of the fuse....Yup! that was the problem.  It took 5 or 6 days for the part to arrive and he put it in yesterday.....IT WORKS!!!

So, he's a mechanical GENIUS!  And he just saved about $250 because I would have gone out and bought another one.  I use that toaster oven every day......just love it!

Horray for Dane!!!

He IS a Wizard. What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 940422454

bethk likes this post

96What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And he only had to refer to a couple YouTube videos to get inspired to start the job!

He absolutely LOVES getting on the computer and finding video assistance for just about any job he has to do. I can't even count the number of times he's referred to YouTube when he was fixing something on his golf cart or something to do with the irrigation system.

97What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:24 pm

NormM

NormM

i have a Breville toaster oven and I probably use it more than any other small appliance excepting maybe the rice cooker... Nope I probably use the toaster more. I went on line yesterday to figure out how to solve a problem too but it wasn't as complex as fixing something electrical. I had to figure out how to fix the stopper in the bathroom sink because it stopped working. It was a pretty simple job but I ended up sweating as much as if I'd mown the lawn. LOL

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

98What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My daughter was the one who advised me how nice the Breville TO was....so when Lyn was looking for one I shared the information.  Lyn bought one and loved it ~ but when Lyn decided to purchase an air fryer/toaster she gifted me her Breville.  I replaced a very nice Delongi toaster oven that still worked ~ mainly because the Breville is large enough to be able to use a quarter sheet pan in it.

And IF Dane had not been able to fix it I would have gone and purchased another one just like it ~ I don't need the air fryer feature as my Frigidare Induction Range has the most amazing air fryer oven I've ever used.

I never realized how much I used the toaster oven until I didn't have one to use for a week.

Right now I've got a small casserole of sliced marinated pork in it to cook before I brown it up for Asian Pork Tacos tonight for supper.

BTW ~ I'm using YOUR kalbi marinade recipe on the pork, Norm. Love that recipe!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

99What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Has anyone used a 'new' item from the store.....Chili Crisp?

Apparently it's a hot chili oil with crispy bits of peppers and onion & garlic.

I've seen different varieties at the store (WalMart) ~ Mandarin Chili Crisp (with orange), etc. But since it's fairly pricey ($6.50 - $7.50) and I don't know anything about it, I've hesitated to purchase any.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and for what.

100What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, do you ever think you're losing it? Maybe your mind isn't working the way it should?

For some reason I thought it was 4:45 p.m. ~ ~ and, NO, it's just 3:45 p.m.

I thought it was time to put the spicy dressing on my vegetables to marinate for 10 minutes before it was time to assemble our pork tacos for supper.

We usually eat at 5:00 p.m. ~ ~ or close to that time. It's the time Dane likes to eat our evening meal. And today, since I was putzing around with stuff most of the afternoon, time got away from me and I got confused......

I must be getting old.....or I'm especially hungry since I've been smelling the pork that's been braising in the kalbi marinade in the toaster oven for an hour and a half......IT SMELLS SO GOOD!

And, YES, I'm hungry. I forgot to eat lunch. Stupid me.

Now I have to wait an hour and the vegetables will probably be wilted from sitting in the dressing for an hour instead of 10 minutes as I planned.

And I'll bet in an hour I'll be even MORE hungry and I won't care!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum