Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I will cook supper tonight. Tina is at the uncles today, and she picked up three small baby eggplants

Fist size. I will make eggplant and ground beef meatballs. baked in crushed tomatoes...

bethk likes this post

52What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I hate when the meatloaf crumbles when slicing it. I like the way Norm makes his meatloaf with the lattice bacon on top. He listed a recipe on a post of his recipe for the basic meatloaf mix, but I can't find it.
It was a long time ago, and it may have been on old cooking. com ?

Nothing I love more than a good game of " I SPY! " .................  took me about 2 minutes to go way back in Norm's posts to find his recipe.  

But if you ask me to tell you what month & year I found it in I don't remember.......short term memory lapse sucks!  LOL (actually, if you want to see the pics on his post go to his blog and go to July 30, 2018......that's where I copied this for you.)

(from Norm's blog:)

Meatloaf
3 slices white bread, crusts removed
 1/2 c. milk
2 tblsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced  (3 or 4 cloves)
2 carrots, peeled & finely grated
1 lb. 80% lean hamburger
2 bratwurst casings removed
2 large eggs
2 tblsp. Dijon mustard
1 tblsp. coarse salt & more to taste
1/2 tblsp. freshly ground pepper & more to taste
1/2 lb. thinly sliced smoked bacon

1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tblsp. Coleman's yellow ground mustard
1 tsp.  catsup

Heat the oven to 375F. Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a small
   bowl. Pour milk over it & set aside for 5 minutes.
   Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery & garlic; cook until
   soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes.
   Place carrots in a large mixing bowl. Ad the milk-bread mixture, meat, eggs,
   parsley, Dijon, salt, & pepper. Add onion mixture. Combine well using your
   hands or a rubber scraper.
   Place mixture in a large ungreased baking dish or roasting pan. Shape into a 5
   X 12 inch loaf. Overlap bacon across the top, covering meat. Place vegetables
   around loaf. Season with salt & pepper.
   In a small bowl, combine sugar, ground mustard & tomato paste to make a
   glaze. Brush meatloaf all over with glaze.
   Bake, brushing every 15 minutes or so with glaze, until juices run clear when
   loaf is pierced with a 2 pronged fork & the bacon is crisp, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let
   cool 10 minutes before slicing.

53What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I hate when the meatloaf crumbles when slicing it. I like the way Norm makes his meatloaf with the lattice bacon on top. He listed a recipe on a post of his recipe for the basic meatloaf mix, but I can't find it.
It was a long time ago, and it may have been on old cooking. com ?

Nothing I love more than a good game of " I SPY! " .................  took me about 2 minutes to go way back in Norm's posts to find his recipe.  

But if you ask me to tell you what month & year I found it in I don't remember.......short term memory lapse sucks!  LOL  (actually, if you want to see the pics on his post go to his blog and go to July 30, 2018......that's where I copied this for you.)

(from Norm's blog:)

Meatloaf
3 slices white bread, crusts removed
 1/2 c. milk
2 tblsp. olive oil
2 carrots, peeled & finely grated
1 lb. 80% lean hamburger
2 bratwurst casings removed
2 large eggs
2 tblsp. Dijon mustard

1 tsp.  catsup

Heat the oven to 375F. Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a small
   Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery & garlic; cook until
   Place carrots in a large mixing bowl. Ad the milk-bread mixture, meat, eggs,
   parsley, Dijon, salt, & pepper. Add onion mixture. Combine well using your
   hands or a rubber scraper.
   Place mixture in a large ungreased baking dish or roasting pan. Shape into a 5
   X 12 inch loaf. Overlap bacon across the top, covering meat. Place vegetables
   Bake, brushing every 15 minutes or so with glaze, until juices run clear when
   loaf is pierced with a 2 pronged fork & the bacon is crisp, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let
   cool 10 minutes before slicing.

That's it!....thanks Beth ( and Norm ).'''' Dummy Me. I forgot to look at his blog!

bethk likes this post

54What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I hope these eggplant meatballs come out ok.... they were L O A D E D with seeds.
I scraped a ton of them out with a grapefruit spoon. The one with a saw teeth to saw into the sections of the fruit.

bethk likes this post

55What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:28 pm

NormM

NormM

This is probably the one. OOPS I see it has already been posted

4 slices white bread, crusts removed
  2-3 Tbs. milk
  2 tblsp. olive oil
1/2 large red bell pepper,  finely chopped
1 lb. ground sirlion
2 1/2 hot bratwurst, skinned
   2 large eggs
   1/4 c. roughly chopped parsley
   2 tblsp. Dijon mustard  ( honey dijon_
   1 lb. of potatoes cut in 2-inch pieces, oiled, salted and peppered
   1 tsp. tomato paste  Or catsup, honey dijon mustard and brown sugar)
   Heat the oven to 375F. Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a large

To bread mixture, add  meat, eggs, parsley, Dijon, salt, & pepper,onion mixture. Combine well.
   Place mixture in a large ungreased, foil lined baking dish or roasting pan. Shape into   a 5 X 12 inch loaf. Overlap bacon across the top, covering meat. Place potatoes
   Bake, until juices run clear when loaf is pierced with a 2 pronged fork & the bacon is    crisp, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with potatoes or mash them coarsely  and make peas and gravy.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

56What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahahaha ~ Norm, your site is so easy to navigate it took me no time at all!

And you'll note, please, I DID NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THE RECIPE!

LOL

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

57What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't hear any complaints about supper.......

But, (darn it!), there are leftovers.

So, a repeat some other night...............

(( sigh ))

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_12_12

It's kind of funny that there are so many different variations of the meal called Salisbury Steak. My mom used to make something with pounded top round steak. It got browned and then a tomato sauce was used as a braising liquid. She called that Salisbury Steak.

The Salisbury Steak TV dinners are flat, formed patties of beef (at least I assume they're beef....) and there's a gravy.

So, no matter what, I can call my football shaped meatloaf patties anything I want ~ and tonight I called them Salisbury Steak!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

58What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I didn't hear any complaints about supper.......

But, (darn it!), there are leftovers.    

So, a repeat some other night...............

((     sigh    ))

It's kind of funny that there are so many different variations of the meal called Salisbury Steak.  My mom used to make something with pounded top round steak.  It got browned and then a tomato sauce was used as a braising liquid.  She called that Salisbury Steak.  

The Salisbury Steak TV dinners are flat, formed patties of beef (at least I assume they're beef....) and there's a gravy.  

So, no matter what, I can call my football shaped meatloaf patties anything I want ~ and tonight I called them Salisbury Steak!

LOL

I love the Swanson's hungry man Salisbury steak TV dinners.

59What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The eggplant / ground beef meatballs were ok. At least Nobody got sick.... Razz Razz

60What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

It's kind of funny that there are so many different variations of the meal called Salisbury Steak.  My mom used to make something with pounded top round steak.  It got browned and then a tomato sauce was used as a braising liquid.  She called that Salisbury Steak.  

LOL

Beth, would you share a good Salisbury steak recipe? Thank you. I'm going to visit my family next month, and pretty soon I'll need to cook some meals for their dinner, now I have 6 lbs ground beef and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage in my freezer. Meatloaf, meatballs, lasagna, shepherd pie are already on the list, I'll get more meat later

61What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:54 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The eggplant / ground beef meatballs were ok. At least Nobody got sick.... Razz Razz

My MiL loves eggplant, I'll cook some for her soon

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

62What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:19 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pickerel/walleye fillet and an heirloom tomato, onion and broccoli micro green sprouts."

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_12_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

63What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Beth, would you share a good Salisbury steak recipe? Thank you. I'm going to visit my family next month, and pretty soon I'll need to cook some meals for their dinner, now I have 6 lbs ground beef and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage in my freezer. Meatloaf, meatballs, lasagna, shepherd pie are already on the list, I'll get more meat later [/size]

Imelda ~ here's the basic recipe I use for both my meatloaf and Salisbury Steaks.....as usual, it's not so much a 'recipe' as a method for you to customize to your tastes.

Meat Loaf (and Salisbury Steak Patties)

1 ½ lb. Lean Ground Beef (85% lean)
1 lb. Bulk Breakfast Sausage (tube pkg such as Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean brand)
1 c. Dry Bread Crumbs – plain or seasoned
2 Eggs – beaten
1 – 8 oz. can Tomato Paste
½ c. Chopped Onion
½ c. Grated Carrot
½ c. Chopped Celery
1 ½ t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
1 t. Dried Thyme
1 t. Dried Marjoram

Saute onion, carrot & celery in evoo until tender ~ sometimes I need to add a bit of water & a lid to speed the process. Cool.

Add all ingredients to large bowl. Mix together until all incorporated. (easiest if you use your hands – I wear food-grade disposable gloves). Free form loaf on a foil or parchment lined rimmed baking pan or press into a 9 X 4 X 3 loaf pan. Top with glaze if desired. Bake @ 350* for 1 hour – 1 ¼ hour or until internal temperature reaches 165*.

Glaze: Mix 3 Tbs. Brown Sugar, 1 t. Dry Mustard, 1 t. Dry Ginger, ¼ t. Ground Nutmeg. Stir in ¼ c. Ketsup. Spoon glaze over top of meat before baking.

Salisbury Steak with Gravy

Meat mixture can be formed into patties to make Salisbury Steak & Gravy. I often mix up, form into patties and freeze on plastic lined sheet tray until frozen, then store in zip loc plastic bag and remove/thaw only what I need for a meal.

Dredge thawed patties in a bit of seasoned flour. Brown patties in hot evoo. When browned (but not cooked through) remove from pan and brown some sliced mushrooms & a sliced onion, deglaze pan w/1/2 c. red wine. Reduce for a few minutes and scrape bits from pan. Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and mix. When combined and a disgusting pink color, add 1 c. beef stock (I use it from a box or a can of beef consommé thinned with 1 can water) and add the meat patties back to the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning patties over a couple times. If gravy (after 30 minutes it turns a much more appealing dark brown) isn’t thick enough, remove the lid and continue over medium heat until reduced.

Serve with mashed potatoes or hot buttered noodles or rice.

Imelda HL likes this post

64What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:24 am

NormM

NormM

Imelda, I came across this recipe for Salisbury steak recently, tried it and we both like it. I have made it three or four more times and will probably make it again soon.

Sea's Salisbury Steak

2 cans French onion soup (condensed, 10 1/2 oz each)
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 lg egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp mustard powder

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef with 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper.

Shape into 6 oval patties. Brown both sides of patties in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour off excess fat.

In a bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder.

Pour over meat in skillet. Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The longer you let simmer, the thicker the gravy becomes.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

65What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to play 'I Spy' in the freezer again this morning.....

NO INSPIRATION !!!

But, the first thing I saw was the package of chicken breasts.....so, one got pulled out to thaw.

Then I had to go back through a bunch of pictures from the last couple years in my files ~ I have them sorted by month so if I need ideas I can find hot weather selections easily ~ and in August 2017 I made a faux Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad.

Ta Da!

That'll do......that'll do just fine. I don't have any romaine lettuce but it'll work just fine with ice burg. I do have red cabbage and carrots, as well as sliced almonds and LaChoy rice noodles. The dressing is a simple mix of mayonnaise, honey, toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar & a touch of dijon mustard.....easy.

I think tonight, instead of plain grilled chicken I'll make panko crusted chicken fingers to cut up on the salad.....

or maybe not........

(to be determined)

66What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did end up coating the pieces of chicken breast in panko and browning them off. They add just a bit more crunch to the salad, which I enjoy a lot.

But when I went to the refrigerator to get my can of LaChoy Rice Noodles (I keep them refrigerated so they don't get stale or rancid in the pantry) and it WASN'T THERE !!!

I don't know who ate them ~ or tossed them out or gave them to one of the neighbors......but I had to make a last-minute run to Publix (6 blocks away so no big deal) to get a couple cans ~ one for tonight and one to keep in the pantry to be used at a later date.

Dane's not crazy about them so he only gets a bit of a sprinkle on his salad ~ but I LIKE them so my salad is nice and crunchy with them.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_13_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

67What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a disaster. The soup was tasteless, and we each had a bowl, and I flipped the rest into the woods for the animals to eat.
The carrots were like eating bamboo shoots. The celery was yellow. ( OLD )?
I told The girls, try and get potatoes, carrots, and celery from Canada Produce.
For some reason, they are more earthy and sweet. We do buy from the local farms, but the
stores are less costly. Usually from California producers.

bethk likes this post

68What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had difficulty with celery lately, too, Jimmy. And I normally use a LOT of it.....goes in so many things I make.

But, like you, when I think I've got a nice fresh stalk of celery I find the inside is soft and yellowed. It's as if they have found some way to keep the external stalks nice and new looking and then store it either too cold (as in freezing) and it rots from the inside out.

And, of course, everyone is blaming 'the pandemic' and 'supply chain problems'.

(( sigh ))

69What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've had difficulty with celery lately, too, Jimmy.  And I normally use a LOT of it.....goes in so many things I make.

But, like you, when I think I've got a nice fresh stalk of celery I find the inside is soft and yellowed. It's as if they have found some way to keep the external stalks nice and new looking and then store it either too cold (as in freezing) and it rots from the inside out.

And, of course, everyone is blaming 'the pandemic' and 'supply chain problems'.

((     sigh    ))
There are no more smells
I find the same thing with celery. I was snapping off the dead yellow ribs, and there was no smell. Even with onions. I don't cry ( tear up ) when chopping onions. Garlic doesn't even smell anymore, and carrots don't even snap when they are bent in half. They are like rubbery. I know this because I will snap off a raw piece to chew on while I'm prepping. hahahahaha

bethk likes this post

70What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight.

The refrigerator needs to be cleared out.........

UGH!

71What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight: Salisbury Steak w/mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes & the beans & corn heated together for a mixed up veg.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_14_19

72What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It started out with a bagel for breakfast. Tina picked it up, but it was HUGE!
It was as big as a soft ball.....

Supper was spaghetti with meat sauce. The kids came over for supper...

Check out the bagel ball./  What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Bagel_10

bethk likes this post

73What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! That's one gigantic bagel! But I'll bet it tasted great.

I'm getting started on a pot of French Onion Soup.....it just got in my head and I haven't been able to shake it. So, 7 big onions got sliced and they're cooking down now. I know it'll take quite a while so that's why I'm starting this morning.

I'm going to try to recreate the Roasted Corn/Spiced Bacon Flatbread I ordered at Seasons 52. It will probably be a bit different (I'm guessing on what to use.....) but no matter what I'm thinking it'll be fine with a nice bowl of onion soup along side.

74What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It didn't take as long as I anticipated.....must be because I used my gigantic 'chicken frying pan' to get the onions browned.  It's one of those pots that came with the 'set' I bought when I first got my induction range.  It's really too big to be used regularly but seemed just right for today's task.

I got the onions nice and golden, even remembered to add some thyme sprigs & a couple bay leaves.  Then I added some of the Pinot Grigio and let it cook down so the flavor was there and the onions weren't sticking to the pan.  Finally, I added the homemade chicken stock and boxed beef stock.

I'll let it simmer for a couple hours.

I'm going to go to Panera for a nice baguette to brown up to hold my cheese before I brown it under the broiler.

I'm suddenly excited about supper!

(added:) I decided to grill my toasts that I'll cut into croutons to hold up the cheese on the top of the soup as well as grilling the corn for the flatbreads ~ chili lime brushed on prior to grilling that I changed to Cajun seasoning & lime because we like that flavor better.....

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_15_14

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_15_15

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_15_16

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 08_15_17

Last edited by bethk on Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

75What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Tina wants to cook a chuck roast braised with onions and potatoes.. .....

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum