Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just love when a meal idea I get in my head works out just as I hope it will!

Tonight I served Asian Pork Tacos ~ with cabbage & spicy marinated vegetables.

The pork was pork shoulder steaks that I sliced and marinated in Norm's Kalbi marinade (with the addition of some microplaned apple because it helps break down the tough meat). Then I braised the pork in the marinade in the toaster oven for a couple hours to be sure it was tender. Finally, I drained the braised pork and browned/crisped it up in a skillet with a bit more of the fresh marinade for a nice glazed flavor.

The pork got put on soft flour tortillas and topped with thinly sliced red & green cabbage and some spicy pickled vegetables: carrot, onion, radishes & cucumber. I even used some of the cabbage topped with the marinated vegetables as a sort of slaw salad because I had so much of it.

All in all, it was a very tasty supper. HE didn't have any comments or complaints so I figured it was a win!

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_19_15

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_19_16

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_19_17

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

102What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I got a boneless rib roast at Costco today. I was going to cut two steaks off of it but we both decided that one split between us would be plenty. I also got some tomatoes at the Farmer's Market this morning. We split a stuffed tomato too.What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image12

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

103What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did a couple burgers on the grill......pretty tasty.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_20_14

104What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made chili cheese burgers with Greek style chili sauce that we portion freeze in little zip lock baggies.

bethk likes this post

105What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I usually use those little KFC side dish containers for my 'Jimmy's Coney Sauce'.....

they're just the right size for a couple hot dogs.

106What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Just a salad, cucs, pepper, tomato, parsley, onion and marinated seafood. Simple lemon and oil dressing."

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_20_15

107What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a small mention of Jimmy putting the Coney Sauce on burgers and HE was intrigued....not to have the sauce on a burger but, instead, for me to make chili dogs for supper.

So, any inspiration is better than what I had planned (NOTHING.....) ~ so, Chili Dogs it is! I've got a baby can of Bush's Baked Beans I'll heat up after I crisp up a slice of bacon in the skillet. I just finished making a bowl of macaroni salad (which is all I really need for a meal.....hope there's leftovers for me so I can have it for breakfast tomorrow......)

108What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chili dogs was well received....he could only eat one but he'll have the leftover one for lunch tomorrow.....

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_21_14

109What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We were supposed to have city chicken, but it never happened.....
Tina bought apple turnovers, and twinkie's, so she ate that, and got sick,, and I ate a salami sandwich that filled me up.

bethk likes this post

110What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, if my morning is any indication of how the rest of the day will go for me......you won't hear from me until tomorrow!

I woke up sneezing ~ not once, not twice, but over and over. At first I thought maybe I had forgotten to take my nighttime meds. But, no, I took them. I take an allergy tablet every night. I've been bothered by this sort of thing since we moved to Florida. It might be the pollen, it might be the damp, it could just be that I'm allergic to being around Dane all day ~ day in and day out. Whatever ~ so that's why I take the meds. And normally I'm just fine.

Except for this morning.

Then the runny nose started. Made it difficult to enjoy my morning coffee out in the courtyard. And to top things off, tissues are on the grocery list and I'm down to one half-full box to get me through the morning.

I was in the bathroom to get my allergy pills and suddenly there was a gigantic moth flying around the ceiling lights. Not just a little, ordinary flitting moth ~ a Jurasic Park GIANT moth. I turned off the light & closed the door. I figured when Dane got home from playing golf he could take the vacuum in and dispatch the creature.

Which he did. (Thank goodness HE'S not afraid of giant moths!)

THEN.....I was just sitting outside and suddenly got bitten by an ant. A big black ant on my wrist ~ felt like a wasp sting! I swatted it off my arm and noticed the red spot and the swelling that happened almost immediately. I went in to get some cortizone and ANOTHER ANT WAS ON MY OTHER ARM! I don't know where they were but they were on ME!

I don't like bugs. I don't like ants, I don't like flys, I don't like spiders......I DON'T LIKE BUGS!!!

So, I have cortizone on my wrist, I've taken a second allergy pill (which will most likely cause me to sleep off and on all day) and I keep feeling like something is crawling on me (crazy thoughts) just because I know there were TWO evil ants touching me this morning.

So, if there's no more posts from me today you all know why.

I'll be hiding in my bedroom with the drapes drawn and the ceiling fan on high to blow any bugs away from me!

111What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, if my morning is any indication of how the rest of the day will go for me......you won't hear from me until tomorrow!

I know there were TWO evil ants touching me this morning.

So, if there's no more posts from me today you all know why.

I'll be hiding in my bedroom with the drapes drawn and the ceiling fan on high to blow any bugs away from me!

I feel for you Beth. It's the same with me. I will NOT go to sleep if there is a mosquito or flying bug in the bedroom. I will sit up for hours till I kill it.
That giant moth you had confronted, sounded like "MOTHRA". ( the sci fi movie )

bethk likes this post

112What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHhhhh!

Way to scare me, Jimmy!

LOL

113What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spent over an hour at the grocery store today (spent way more than I intended....) and when I got home I still didn't have a clue as to what was going to be for supper.

No inspiration to be found at all.

I did, however, get what I will need to make Chicken Tetrazzini tomorrow or the next day. I've been looking at the little jar of pimentos sitting in the pantry knowing I bought them to make that dish. I finally decided this will be the week I make it.

But, for tonight, we'll be having a bowl of chili. It's pouring rain and absolutely nothing sounds good to me. So, freezer meal it is!

114What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was just right for a rainy night.......now I'm thinking it's time to make more soup.....maybe a sausage/kale/white bean soup......

We'll see.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_23_15

115What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 pm

NormM

NormM

I cut up the rest of the rib roast from Costco for bulgogi and grilled it. We had it with a side made with bean sprouts as well as two kinds of kim chi.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image-10
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image-11
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image13

116What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm.

The grill mat makes it so easy to keep the grill grates from becoming stuck on messes.  Still get lots of good char.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

117What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had a birthday celebration meal today. Tina hit the 77 yr mark today....:blowcandle:
We got 2 turkey breasts, mashed potatoes, stuffing ( stove top ) and corn on the cob.
Dessert was pastries and cookies instead of a cake.

bethk likes this post

118What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My supper is prepared for tonight. It's so much easier to deal with cooking when you have a meal plan in your head. I've been thinking of making this Chicken Tetrazzini for a long while and just kept putting it off. But, today is the day! And I'm happy to have half the recipe in a casserole dish in the freezer for another time in the future.

It's been years since I've made this but it always went over well with Dane.....comfort food from long ago. I see I originally got this recipe from Southern Living Magazine (2009) and it replaced one I had made before that I didn't care for as much.

Chicken Tetrazzini with Marsala and Fresh Mushrooms
Adapted from Southern Living, January 2009

Yield: 6 Servings

2 Tbsp. Butter
1 – 8 oz. Pkg. Mushrooms, sliced (I use crimini / baby bellas)
1 – 7 oz. Pkg. Spaghetti, cooked to al dente
3 c. Cooked Chicken, shredded
1 c. Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1 – 10 ¾ oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 – 16 oz. Alfredo Sauce (I use a local frozen brand)
1 c. Chicken Broth
½ c. Dry Marsala Wine
¼ c. Pimento or Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
¼ c. Butter, melted
1 c. Panko crumbs
½ c. slivered or sliced almonds

Melt butter and sauté mushrooms 4-5 minutes or until liquid is released and cooked off.

Put cooked spaghetti into large bowl and add mushrooms, chicken, Parmesan cheese and peppers. Mix well. In bowl mix Alfredo sauce, mushroom soup, chicken broth and Marsala wine. Pour sauce over spaghetti mixture and mix well. Place into casserole dish. *

Mix melted butter with Panko crumbs and almonds. Spread evenly over casserole. Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

*This recipe may be divided into smaller freezer tins to be baked later.

I do increase the amount of slivered almonds because I really like them in this dish ~ and instead of my Italian Deli alfredo sauce I ended up picking up a container of the Rana brand Alfredo Sauce (sold in the deli area by their refrigerated pastas). I'm hoping it's as tasty as my old Toledo store made sauce.

I started my prep with a rotisserie chicken ~ I ended up using all but half a breast that Dane likes to slice up for lunch sandwiches. All the chicken carcass & skin is simmering away on the stove to make a nice quart or so of flavorful stock ~ always good to have in the freezer.

I did grate from my chunk of parmesan cheese but I've made this with the pre-shredded (refrigerated) parmesan and it was just fine. And if you have marsala, be sure it's DRY marsala wine and not the sweet one.

I'm thinking of just tossing together a small side salad to go with this and then supper will be done!

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_24_12

119What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was good.  It was somewhat different from what I remembered.  The taste of the Marsala Wine was much more pronounced than I recall.  MAYBE I cooked it down with the mushrooms the last time I made it.....but it had a much more 'raw' taste tonight.  

Or it could be I usually made it in a much thinner layer that allowed the wine to reduce as it baked.  That could be the difference.

Whatever......

So, my suggestion is to cook down the wine with the mushrooms.

(Or maybe my Marsala isn't the same brand as I've used in the past.....it's not like I remember!)

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_24_13

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 08_24_14

120What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:35 pm

NormM

NormM

When I was about 8, there was this guy who sold chili dogs out of a street stand. He was down the block from our church only a few times that summer. Jimmy's chili sauce reminded me of that chili dog and today i tried to create it as best as I could remember. Charlie said it was the best Chili dog he'd ever had.What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image14

121What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Great compliment from Charlie, Norm!

Jimmy's sauce is just like the Greek immigrants who opened 'Coney Island Hot Dog' stands around Toledo.  I love it!

By the way ~ I noticed those gorgeous tomatoes on your counter......I'm SO jealous!

NormM likes this post

122What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:When I was about 8, there was this guy who sold chili dogs out of a street stand. He was down the block from our church only a few times that summer.  Jimmy's chili sauce reminded me of that chili dog and today i tried to create it as best as I could remember. Charlie said it was the best Chili dog he'd ever had.What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Image14

Thanks Norm. I've been batting that recipe around for years. Finally, eliminating and adding different amounts and flavors; I came really close to what I and others had enjoyed as a chilidog / burger would suit most peoples taste. Mom had a recipe for Texas wieners that I really never made much of, but I will try it some day.

Another Hamburger sauce my moms best friend had, was from a secret hamburger onion and ??? Spices ??? that n o one ever knew how to make.
They owned a luncheonette in town.
After a few years, moms friend closed the diner.... and went to live with her daughter right after her husband Joe died. My mom asked her friend if she would be willing to give her the secret recipe....silent
She told mom that she will take the recipe to the grave. Mad After that comment, my Mom and her became enemies, and had not spoken to each other for years.....

123What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is what Tina and I did today. Tomatoes. Three more cases to do. This is only 1 case...so far!

Supper was Chili over rotelli pasta.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Tomato10

bethk likes this post

124What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those canned tomatoes will be fabulous in January & February!

I'm so jealous!!!

125What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 5 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Those canned tomatoes will be fabulous in January & February!

I'm so jealous!!!

We use a lot of tomatoes, and Tina was listening to the news, and they said there will be a shortage of tomatoes due to the extremely hot weather, and lack of rain. So, she went to the farmers market, and bought 4 cases( 2 bushels) 100# Lbs. When we finish, there will be 82 Quarts in total!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum