Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

126What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"Freezer Diving" last night before bed ~ came up with boneless beef short ribs. I stashed them in the refrigerator to start the thaw so I could deal with them today.

I knew I had to cut the silver skin off the bottom before I did anything with them. I'm going to treat them much like a braised beef pot roast ~ only let them cook in the oven for a good 3 hours or so because I want them super 'fall-apart' tender.

I'll probably toss a couple potatoes & some carrots on top about half way through the cook.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

127What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for supper. I had a fried egg on rye with hot peppers for breakfast. Tina had hair day
at the beauty parlor.

bethk likes this post

128What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I may be crazy for having an oven meal tonight ~ actually used the range oven instead of the toaster oven so I could keep the vent on to pull out the hot exhaust (as well as a/c air.....sigh.....) as our supper roasted for 3 1/2 hours.

But, it was delicious!

Sometimes you just have to make that sacrifice and do it.

I made a 'Grape Salad' for supper ~ truth be told, it's really a dessert but I'll stick with the name because I don't make desserts.....

LOL

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_25_15

129What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, stir fried onions, red pepper and frozen little seafood creatures. Shrimp, mussels, calamari, and some I may not have recognized. Finished with a bit of cream and served on a broad egg noodle. Enough for lunch tomorrow. Yumm!"

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_25_16

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

130What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was wishing for just a tomato sandwich on rye; so that's what I had. I asked tina for a tomato, and
Tina grabs one handy in reach. I put my mayo on the rye bread, and cut the slices of tomato, but noticing the tomato was soft. Well the answer to that, was that tomato was one that was blanched in boiling water, and not small enough to fit in the canning jar. So Tina just left it on the counter.
It was mushy and half cooked. I had to quit eating it, and had some olives and cheese with crackers instead.

bethk likes this post

131What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote: I tasted the Minestra I had cooking on the stove. ( Escarole and beans ) actually with a little piece of diced pepperoni for flavor.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Minest10

[size=16]I've been wanting this since I saw yours, Jimmy!

So I just got back from the store.  Man, escarole is difficult to locate around here!  (might not be considered a 'southern' thing.....)  But, I found some (bought a nice bit of green kale ~ just in case I couldn't locate any.....).  Instead of diced pepperoni I'll be adding some andouille sausage.  I even got a nice baguette to toast up and have with it.

132What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, Jimmy ~ time to discuss this pot of soup!

I took the time to read through a bunch of different 'recipes' (which I prefer to call 'methods' because I most generally add the ingredients I prefer to something like this) and many suggested browning some bacon (I prefer the andouille sausage to brown a bit and render the flavorful fat) and then adding the cut escarole. It's supposed to reduce the bitterness of the greens.

It sounded good to me so I gave it a try. After tasting I'm wondering if it took out too much of the natural bitter taste....... it almost tastes like leaf lettuce wilted in broth...... Hmmmmm, maybe next time I'll do half & half so I get a bit more of the taste I'm expecting.

The sausage tastes good and adds good flavor to the broth. I also added some red pepper flakes and a small shallot....why not? I drained & rinsed my cannellini beans and wonder now if I should have left that can 'goo' in to add to the broth. I don't add any red beans because I don't care for their texture.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_26_12

133What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper seems to have been a huge success......after much discussion where HE insisted he's never eaten anything called escarole before in his life.......kept calling it escargot (which he loves) as a way to be funny.....and kept asking, ''WHAT does it taste like?"

TAKE A TASTE AND DECIDE WHAT IT TASTES LIKE.......IT TASTES LIKE ESCAROLE!!!!

LOL

Well, after TWO bowlfuls he deemed it good enough to eat......

Geesh!

It was pretty tasty.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_26_13

134What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, Jimmy ~ time to discuss this pot of soup!

I took the time to read through a bunch of different 'recipes' (which I prefer to call 'methods' because I most generally add the ingredients I prefer to something like this) and many suggested browning some bacon (I prefer the andouille sausage to brown a bit and render the flavorful fat) and then adding the cut escarole.  It's supposed to reduce the bitterness of the greens.

It sounded good to me so I gave it a try.  After tasting I'm wondering if it took out too much of the natural bitter taste.......  it almost tastes like leaf lettuce wilted in broth......   Hmmmmm, maybe next time I'll do half & half so I get a bit more of the taste I'm expecting.

The sausage tastes good and adds good flavor to the broth.  I also added some red pepper flakes and a small shallot....why not?  I drained & rinsed my cannellini beans and wonder now if I should have left that can 'goo' in to add to the broth.  I don't add any red beans because I don't care for their texture.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_26_12

Looks good Beth. I believe I forgot to mention, you can use any greens, like romaine or even iceberg lettuce. When gram made it, she often times would add cabbage to the greens. Spinach will work too!
I like the cannellini beans too. I also add fennel seeds, if I make it for me, because Tina doesn't like fennel taste.
Growing up, I was surrounded by predominately Italian families. There was always Minestra cooking on a simmer every day. My gram would say, the reason to eat Minestra, was to keep the intestines working, and it works like medicine..... She lived to 96 yrs old. What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 2876911673

bethk likes this post

135What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My supper is already cooked.......grilled brats with macaroni salad.......

The macaroni salad I made earlier, as I always do. The brats are my usual Johnsonville original brats that I simmer for an hour in inexpensive beer. I do NOT care for the flavor of the 'Beer Brats' that have the flavor infused in the sausage mix. So, I simply use the cheap leftover beer that has been brought to our house by Dane's friends that HE has no intention of drinking. LOL

I told Dane I wanted to have the gas grill uncovered so I could grill & brown/crisp the brats and he said I had better plan to do that before 4:00 because there's a (typical) summer storm heading our way ~ a clashing of the clouds from the east and from the west that comes together right over our house!

So, my brats are now nicely browned and will get a short reheat in the toaster oven to bring them back to temperature just before we eat.

I also made a foil pack of grilled onion slices for myself ~ a guilty pleasure, you could say. I use non-stick foil, place 1/2" slices of onion, top with just a bit of 'Better Than Boullion' and a pat of butter, seal up the foil pack nice and tight and place on the grill next to the browning brats. Hopefully (since I haven't opened the foil pack) the onions got some good char on them.

136What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The rain hasn't started......go figure......

But, supper was pretty tasty. Unfortunately, my onions didn't get the char I had hoped, but they were pretty tasty. The addition of the chicken flavor Better Than Boullion was a nice addition.

And, even though you know I'm NOT a fan of leftovers, I'm happy there's leftover macaroni salad. I can always have it for breakfast tomorrow! LOL

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_27_12

137What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, those brats and onions look fabulous.
Our supper consisted of string beans cooked in onions and tomato sauce and olive oil.
We just ate some French bread buttered as a soaker of the juices....

bethk likes this post

138What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know it's not Tuesday.....but I had two lovely, ripe avocados and it was time to get them used before they ripened more than I wanted.

So......today is TACO SUNDAY !!!!

I had a taco salad with guacamole and HE had soft flour tortilla tacos......

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_28_16

139What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made chicken fried steak. We nibbled on that, and had corn on the cobb.
It was good!...

bethk likes this post

140What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftover meatloaf, sweet potato and steamed cauliflower topped with a package gravy. Yumm meatloaf is one of norm’s posted here. Delish!"

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_28_17

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

141What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK ~ So this is just to prove that I approve of posting stuff that's NOT about cooking.

Andrea sent me a shot of Tori's Senior Soccer Poster.  She's been playing since she was 4.

(Millers is the name of her team this year.....) 

whenever I had the opportunity to watch her play (which wasn't as often as I would have liked) I could always pick her out on the field by the way she ran and the way her ponytail bounced!  (she was also the smallest one on the field most of the time......)

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Tori__10

142What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That is precious ..... God Bless her. You can be proud of her, for sure.

bethk likes this post

143What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is planning on making a tomato sauce with Italian sausage for spaghetti tonight.

bethk likes this post

144What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:That is precious ..... God Bless her. You can be proud of her, for sure.

Awwww, Thanks, Jimmy!  She's a real sweetheart ~ raised right, as my Mom used to say.....

145What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I soaked some garbanzo beans last night (thanks again, Lore, for the 'heads up' on how good cooking your own garbanzos could be!). When they're soaked they only take about 30 - 35 minutes to get tender the way I like them, adding salt for the second half of the cooking if you like to add it.

I had some inexpensive curly kale I picked up to use for soup later in the week and decided to use about 5 stems to add to the salad I planned to make with the garbanzo beans. We'll have leftovers tonight so I wanted something 'fresh' to add to the meal. I also used up the rest of the lonely little veg in the drawer: 3/4 of a cucumber (seeded), 3 radishes and 2 green onions.

This is the first time I've 'massaged' kale to get it broken down and a bit more tender for a salad and I think it did make it so it will be more pleasant to eat. I drizzled some olive oil on my cut & dried kale and sprinkled it with Kosher salt. Then I just smushed it around with my hand for about 3 minutes. When I made the dressing I just left out the oil because I figured there was enough on the kale.....I used lemon juice, rice vinegar, honey, pepper and just a few drops of sesame oil because I like that flavor. I stirred the lemon juice/vinegar mixture over the oiled kale and stirred it well so it got mixed up really well and then added the other chopped vegetables & mixed them in.

It's now in the refrigerator to let the flavors come together before supper tonight.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_29_13

146What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to go to the dentist at noon today to have a cavity taken care of. It's been YEARS since I've had a cavity and, unfortunately for me, all those old ideas of the pain and fear (from years of having the same dentist who never learned 'new' methods) came back in my head.

My dentist here is a wonderful young woman ~ Morgan.....such a trendy name ~ is the sweetest thing. She's got to be all of 30 years old (way younger than my own daughters....). She's NEVER hurt me. But I was expecting the absolute worst as I sat down in that dreaded reclining dental chair.

She said she was going to numb the area (it was a front tooth) so I kept my eyes shut so I didn't have to see the giant needle coming at me......turns out I never felt a thing! It was ABSOLUTELY painless. The procedure took less than 10 minutes and she was done and I was free to go.

Of course, the effects of the dreaded novocaine has lasted most of the day ~ from noon until even NOW......although I do feel as if I'll be able to eat without having food drop out of my mouth.

I even resorted to drinking my Scotch from a straw because it was easier than letting it dribble down my chin.......

I'm such a baby.

But I survived and that's all that's important!

LOL

147What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though I don't like leftovers I 'suffered' through the serving of leftover Chicken Tetrazzini......AND rather enjoyed it. The kale / garbanzo salad was a hit with HIM....which surprised me. It was good ~ the massaged kale WAS more tender and really added to the complete salad. It's something I'll do again for sure. The dressing had a nice balance with the lemon juice, rice vinegar, honey & oil.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_29_14

148What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There are some 'LEFTOVERS' that my daughter likes to refer to as 'a-meal-cooked-too-soon'......

Tonight's supper was just that ~ Hot beef & gravy sandwiches. It's the reason to make a pot roast or boneless beef short ribs with gravy.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 08_30_13

149What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had popcorn chicken from Kentucky fried chicken for lunch.
Supper ..... DD coked bay scallops and fried chopped zucchini.
I ate that, but Tina had a dish of strawberry flakes cereal. Her stomach was in a tizzy.

bethk likes this post

150What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well....Slap My Mouth! ! !.... I lost the pic of the yesterdays supper of the
sausage and tomato sauce over Bowtie Pasta.
It never dawned on me that the pic went to my SPAM folder. So Here it is!
BTW.... I spent 1/2 hour trying to find and re-Send this picture.
SOooo! Here it is...

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 6 Sausag12

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum