Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

26What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My Chicken Pot Pie tasted fine.....I guess I didn't let it sit long enough after baking ~ I DID let it sit for 15 minutes ~ but it fell apart when I tried to serve it in pie shaped pieces.

I also threw together a small salad at the last minute.....

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_07_13

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_07_14
;

Mom used to say when some foods crumbled or broke, " Eat IT, It's gonna break up in the stomach anyway!"

27What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I goofed and burned the ham I was frying. We had 3/4 pound of smoked ham that was 5 days in the fridge. The limit we keep deli lunch meats.  I got side tracked talking to the neighbor, and it burned. Oh Well...... No
I guess it will be the leftover pea soup I found in the freezer....

bethk likes this post

28What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:29 pm

JanaAZ

I had my annual girls weekend this weekend. I made ziti, cheesecake, salad for dinner but the star, I think, was our appetizer. I used toasted bread with fig jam, goat cheese, prosciutto and topped with arugula. I make homemade crystal bread but you could use a baguette if you want. So good and very easy

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 F94dce10
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 8bbcfd10
What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 A985e910

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

29What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I watched a re-run of Sara's Weeknight Meals on PBS and her guest cooked jambalaya.

So.....that was my inspiration to make something similar.

I don't care for the 'authentic' jambalaya with the rice cooked with the meal ~ I prefer making a saucy meat filled topping to spoon over white rice.

So, that's what I'm going to make.

I have andouille sausage, chicken and shrimp to use and I've already cut up my onion, celery & bell pepper (I happened to have red available), as well as a couple of the hot banana peppers we like from the patio pots for flavor. I'll have it all in a tomato based sauce.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

30What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina stopped at the farm, and bought 3 small eggplant and 3 big tomatoes.
Have to decide what to cook with that.

bethk likes this post

31What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My 'faux' jambalaya is smelling SO good! I'm so happy I finally found a brand of andouille sausage sold here that I like. I've had some that I tossed as soon as I tasted it ~ and many times I just resorted to smoked beef brats just because it was more to what I wanted in taste.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use a bit of cornstarch to thicken my sauce or if I should just let it be loose and run over/absorb into the rice on our plates.

So many decisions........

(( sigh ))

LOL

32What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was delicious. The spice level was just where I wanted it.

Only down side is there are leftovers......

Now I have two days to reheat meals (which is NOT my favorite).....chicken pot pie and 'faux' jambalaya.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_08_14

33What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm

NormM

NormM

Crab legs were on sale for the first time since ChristmasWhat's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Unname14

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

34What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina got her shingles vaccine shot today. Then she had to high tail it to her uncles.
She is assisting him when his caregiver leaves after her shift.
I feel so sorry for her. So tonight, she had leftover tuna with spaghetti.
I had a can of sardines with crackers, and a plain dunkin doughnut for dessert.

bethk likes this post

35What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Crab legs were on sale for the first time since Christmas

Lucky YOU! The price I keep seeing is way too high for me.....and nothing like the size I saw before. I guess I'll just wait it out a bit more.

OR ~ ~ Maybe MY numbers will come in on the lottery!

LOL

NormM likes this post

36What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina got her shingles vaccine shot today. Then she had to high tail it to her uncles.
She is assisting him when his caregiver leaves after her shift.
I feel so sorry for her. So tonight, she had leftover tuna with spaghetti.
I had a can of sardines with crackers, and a plain dunkin doughnut for dessert.

Poor Ms. Tina ~ she pushes herself so much!

But I'll bet you enjoyed that tin of sardines! Dane had some for his lunch......I went as far from the table as I could......the SMELL!!! But he does enjoy them so I'm fine with hiding out in the bedroom away from him while he eats. At least he's considerate and rinses the can with hot soapy water and tosses it.

37What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:07 pm

JanaAZ

I had a pork shoulder in the freezer I needed to use so I made 2 things….first I made a shredded pork shoulder in a gojuchang/miso/hoisin sauce. I’m going to keep that in the freezer until I bring back some Gonnella rolls from Chicago. The second is called a Pennsylvania Dutch pot roast using the slow cooker. It’s still in there now and I hope it’s good. I’ve never done a pork “pot roast”

38What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I had a pork shoulder in the freezer I needed to use so I made 2 things….first I made a shredded pork shoulder in a gojuchang/miso/hoisin sauce. I’m going to keep that in the freezer until I bring back some Gonnella rolls from Chicago. The second is called a Pennsylvania Dutch pot roast using the slow cooker. It’s still in there now and I hope it’s good. I’ve never done a pork “pot roast”

Dane's grandmother was from Pennsylvania and regularly made a beef & pork roast, side-by-side in a Dutch oven, for Sunday Dinner. It was always delicious. My family, being beef cattle farmers, only did beef roasts. We would get half a hog in the fall to go into the freezer but I really don't remember having much in the way of pork roasts.....Hmmmmm ~ we MUST have had them, I just don't remember them.

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

39What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftover chicken pot pie tonight......

As usual, no pics of LEFTOVERS!!!

LOL

40What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Plans were burgers, corn, and baked beans. Well, that ended when DD got back from the farms with corn, so she could bag and freeze it cut off the cob. She had the kitchen in a shambles.
I called Tina on her way home, and asked her to pick up some taco's. That was supper.

bethk likes this post

41What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Day #2 of LEFTOVERS.........Ugh!

But I of course made too much ~ how can you make 'faux' jambalaya for two servings????

So, fresh rice is in the microwave as I type......There's still a 16 oz. container of rice and one of the leftover sauce for a lunch for one of us (gee, I sure hope it's not MINE!).

I'm already looking forward to something different tomorrow.

Don't know what it'll be ~ maybe we'll go out! ~ that would make me happy.

42What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's burgers for sure. I am just finishing up making potato salad. Tina is still al her uncles, and she will get him ready for bed soon. He's 100 yrs old, so he needs to sleep a lot.

bethk likes this post

43What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The 'faux' jambalaya looked the same but here's a pic of the leftover cucumber onion salad with the cute little 'sweety drop' peppers I pick up at the olive bar at Fresh Market....

The salad was as good (if not better) than it was the other night.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_10_13

44What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:23 pm

NormM

NormM

I smoked some pork ribs today and made some potato salad to go with it.What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Unname15

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

45What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Simple oven roasted chicken leg, baked potato which was so big, I could only eat half. Steamed cauliflower. I have no ambition to do anything fancy. But it was yummy!"

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_10_14

46What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

What to fix? What to fix?????

I was at a complete loss this morning. Nothing in the freezer caught my eye.

Then I sat here and stared at Lore's post......chicken leg w/thigh...........Suddenly I decided on chicken thighs under a brick (actually just a pot of water to weigh down on the thighs & keep them flat in my little cast iron skillet) with some baby potatoes & corn cut from the cob.

(Thanks, Lore!)

There!

Decided..........

47What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chicken thighs under a brick (or a pot of water that was foil covered to keep it from getting all greasy.....) was a success. The potatoes were par-cooked in some salted water before being dumped in the skillet with just a bit of the chicken fat to season them with. The thighs were put on top of the potatoes and then all was finished in the toaster oven until the chicken was cooked through and the potatoes were nicely browned.

What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 08_11_13

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

48What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Each of us are on our own. Tina and DD are in a _issy & moody way today.

I backed into neutral, and had a can of mackerel and crackers for lunch so far.
I have no clue what I WILL have later.

bethk likes this post

49What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up ground chuck on Tuesday at Fresh Market and froze it in 1# packages.  Last night I pulled 3 out of the freezer along with a 1# tube of Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage.  That'll be the base for a meatloaf for the freezer and a bunch of Salisbury Steak patties ~ some for tonight and some for in the freezer for another night.

I like a lot of veg in my meatloaf so I chop everything and then saute it until soft ~ let it cool and then mix with my ground meat and the spices.  And I DO add egg ~ last time I forgot my meatloaf fell apart when I wanted to slice it for supper and the next day for sandwiches.  

I won't make that mistake again!

I just gave neighbor Jim a call to let him know I was making Salisbury Steak w/Mashed Potatoes for supper.

He'll be here at 5:00 sharp!

50What's Cooking AUGUST 2022  - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Cooking AUGUST 2022 Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I picked up ground chuck on Tuesday at Fresh Market and froze it in 1# packages.  Last night I pulled 3 out of the freezer along with a 1# tube of Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage.  That'll be the base for a meatloaf for the freezer and a bunch of Salisbury Steak patties ~ some for tonight and some for in the freezer for another night.

I like a lot of veg in my meatloaf so I chop everything and then saute it until soft ~ let it cool and then mix with my ground meat and the spices.  And I DO add egg ~ last time I forgot my meatloaf fell apart when I wanted to slice it for supper and the next day for sandwiches.  

I won't make that mistake again!

I hate when the meatloaf crumbles when slicing it. I like the way Norm makes his meatloaf with the lattice bacon on top. He listed a recipe on a post of his recipe for the basic meatloaf mix, but I can't find it.
It was a long time ago, and it may have been on old cooking. com ?

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum