Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now?

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though the $$ of chicken WINGS is way too high ($4.49/lb) I still broke down and bought a package of 6 ~ I walked past the meat counter 4 times before I finally decided I wanted them for sure.  I decided to make them the way I saw Alton Brown do on 'Good Eats' years ago.  He steamed them to cook through and remove the excess fat from the skin ~ and, wouldn't you know.....IT WORKS!  I just browned them up on the gas grill (amazingly they didn't stick....yea!) and then I rolled them around in a large bowl to add HIS sauce (Caribbean Jerk) and my sauce (Asian Sweet Chili).  

I also picked up some butternut squash that was on sale ~ normally $1.69/lb. and this week was on sale for $.99/lb. ~ and it was excellent.  I think I need to go back and get another one and maybe a couple acorn squash while they're on sale.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_06_13

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew last night when I roasted off a HUGE butternut squash that my favorite Butternut Squash Soup was going to be made today. Man, I just crave that stuff ~ and I should make it regularly because it's so easy.

But I'm happy it was my lunch today ~ garnished with faux creme fraiche (sour cream with half & half stirred in) and toasted pecans.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_07_11

NormM

NormM

We had Gumbo for lunch.  It was frozen in a boil-in bag.  Charlie could tell right away that I had not made it.  I seldom get prepared soup because it always disappoints.  What is so difficult about making soup?  Also I remember reading that if you get a bowl of gumbo and it has rice in it, it isn't gumbo.  It is served with rice but not cooked with rice.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 20211011

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went to have supper with 'the guys' so I was happy enough with a reheated bowl of pasta.....

Last edited by bethk on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover meatballs with spaghetti. Shrimp as a side, and garlic toast as a pusher. Chocolate bark with nuts. for dessert. ( cashews )

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was bagging up the wrapped pork ribs I had put into the freezer in the garage on a quarter sheet pan ~ they are all 'double wrapped' in plastic wrap and needed to be stashed into gallon size plastic zip bags. I like to be sure everything is safe from freezer burn as I never know how long it will sit in the frost-free freezer with the breeze blowing around them.

That's when I came across the last of the 'prime' rib eye steaks I bought a while ago (no, I don't date the stuff in the freezer as I should.....I guess I'm just too lazy or don't want to know I'm going to cook something that's 7 months old.....

So, the ribeye steak got thawed, then salted and stashed in the refrigerator to let the salt season away. It got cooked over a hot charcoal fire. I par-cooked a couple russet potatoes and cooked up some fresh red beets with stems/greens added.

I had a box of crimini mushrooms in the refrigerator and decided to cook them up to go along with my steak slices ~ a certain 'HIM' doesn't care for them but I like the added flavor along with the steak.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_08_13

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Tina's shepherds pie.... It was good.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Sweet potato, red cabbage and a London broil."

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_08_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Lore!

What was your prep for the red cabbage? I'm always looking for a 'new' way to cook a vegetable.

Cookin Lore

I shred the cabbage, sautee a half a Spanish or Vidalia onion in a bit of oil, add cabbage and about a cup of water, start that simmering, peel, chop a couple of apples, add them to the pot. Add a fair amount of black pepper, a bay leaf or two, a couple of cloves, some salt and simmer until it tastes good to me. Simmer until it's done, about 35-45 minutes. Apples in red cabbage are a real "German" thing. I have cheated and used a can of applesauce. It works great. JUst make sure you check occasionally that it's still got moisture. Burnt red cabbage is NOT GOOD! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup.... Chicken soup. Tina made it the way I do N O T like it.
Why ???... cuz the carrots were whole, and way way too soft.
Celery was whole ribs. And the onion was whole. I like my stuff cut up bite size.
Oh, and the celery had to be cut up in order so the long strings would not gag me. She did pick the strings off but missed a few.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking so I 'suggested' we go to Farmshed for supper. He decided to go with my 'suggestion' because he wanted something to eat! LOL

He had the Lamb Burger and I had the Bone-In Pork Cutlets with roasted potatoes. The pork was topped with Crispy Sage & Prosciutto. There was a 'swoop' of pureed roasted garlic that I didn't care for but other than that, it was pretty tasty.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_09_13

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 Getatt15

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Soup.... Chicken soup. Tina made it the way I do N O T like it.
Celery was whole ribs. And the onion was whole. I like my stuff cut up bite size.
Oh, and the celery had to be cut up in order so the long strings would not gag me. She did pick the strings off but missed a few.  

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like that soup too much either. I like my veggies cut up in soup also. But then there is an invention called a knife to cut things up! LOL.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

On Friday I fried shrimps with the Louisiana seafood seasoning, it did not look good but tasted so good, then on Saturday I made some croissant/ham/cheese sandwiches for them while I enjoyed my spicy fish with rice

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 365bca10
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 Dd991b10
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 Sandwi10
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 Ikan_b10

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Soup.... Chicken soup. Tina made it the way I do N O T like it.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like that soup too much either.  I like my veggies cut up in soup also.  But then there is an invention called a knife to cut things up! LOL.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673 October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673 Wha Wha What??... that's too much work!

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like that soup too much either.  I like my veggies cut up in soup also.  But then there is an invention called a knife to cut things up! LOL.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673 October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673 Wha Wha What??... that's too much work!

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673 October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 2876911673

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made chowder today. It had corn, potatoes, ham and bacon. I made creamed corn with whole corn kernels because the last time I got a can of creamed corn, it was pieces of corn and didn't look or taste as good as I expected. I added ham to the recipe so it would be a more of a meal. October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 20211013
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 20211012

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love a good potato soup.....with any number of things added! Ham, corn, seafood, you-name-it ~ it's all so good and comforting.

I didn't know what to make so I did the old, "First-Thing-You-See-When-You-Open-The-Freezer" game.

Turned out to be Johnsonville smoked beef brats with steamed cabbage & boiled potatoes.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_10_12

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Today was our Thanksgiving. Kids came about 4, and are gone again.  I made a turkey breast, a goulash, the Strudel pasta dish and potatoes that I talked about some time ago, red cabbage, corn straight out of the can, homemade cranberry sauce, and extra oven roasted potatoes.  Kids took basically all the leftovers, no one wanted the cranberry sauce.  They all said they don't eat it, so that's going down the toilet.  Son Danny said mom you can freeze it.  I said "sure, then I will give it to you again at Christmas so that you can say "no thanks" again???

DIL Lisa brought pumpkin pie and whipped cream for dessert.  Lisa took pictures, I'll try to forward them.  Fun day.  Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend from my B&B days for lunch.  She lives in British Columbia, but has been visiting her daughter near Toronto, so I'm driving there to meet her for lunch.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_10_10

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_10_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs ~ trimmed & cleaned then browned and added some Korean BBQ bottled sauce. Made my vegetable heavy fried rice to go under it.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_11_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a big pot of beef stew. Carrots, potatoes, and button mushrooms.
It was great!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight (finally) was the baked spaghetti squash with marinara (mine is half/half with butter and s&p). I had some leaf lettuce so I made Grandma's 'everyday' salad with a dressing of sour cream and vinegar syrup, with the addition of some slivered onion.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 10_12_13

NormM

NormM

I found some Kalbi in the freezer and it got grilled. The hot dog was incase we ate all the ribs and were still hungry. There were leftover kalbi.
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 2 20211014

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a naked burger, and grilled zucchini for supper.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'meat packing' day......I picked up some ground chuck at Fresh Market yesterday (even though they've raised the price from $2.99 to $3.99/lb) because it's the best tasting and freshest ground beef around here. But I just stashed it in the bottom of the refrigerator and got busy with something else. So, this morning I had to deal with it.

I wanted some 1# packages in the freezer to use for chili or goulash or whatever so I broke the pre-packaged 1-1/2 lb packs. Ended up with 4 one-pound packages and then had 11 1/2 ounces leftover ~ easy enough to make 2 'almost' 6 oz. burger patties. DONE!

Tonight I'm making some BBQ Pork Steak to go with the delicata squash I picked up yesterday. I've got some fresh green beans cleaned already to cook tonight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum