Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 15]

1"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NO CLUE Yet!..... Just figured I would start the October thread....
Probably chicken soup from yesterday. Sandwiches....you know! Saturday stuff.

2"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian picked up a pork tenderloin yesterday at the Px so we're going to have one of our favorites, Bacon-Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin.  We're going to have a wild rice pilaf and crowder peas with it.  Yummy.  I think I posted this recipe before but it's so good, I'm going to do so again.  I don't have any chutney so I use apricot preserves and Zatarain's Creole Mustard.  The preserves/mustard sauce is soooo good that I double or triple the sauce so we have extra on the side with the pork!  

I've also made this with thick bone-in pork chops and boneless thick pork chops, too.  

Bacon-Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin
Serves 4.  Recipe from www.thekitchn.com

1 pork tenderloin (about 1-1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons brown sugar (or maple syrup)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular can be substituted)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 to 6 slices good quality bacon (I usually end up using more than 6 slices)
1 tablespoon canola oil (or other neutral high-heat oil)
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney (or Apricot Preserves)
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (or Dijon mustard)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the silverskin (the silvery-white connective tissue running along the top) from the pork tenderloin with a sharp knife. Pat the tenderloin dry with paper towels and set aside.
2. Combine the brown sugar, salt, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub all of the mixture into the pork tenderloin. Wrap the tenderloin with the strips of bacon, securing along the sides with toothpicks.
3. Heat the canola oil in a large cast iron skillet, or other oven-proof skillet, over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add the bacon-wrapped tenderloin and sear — do not disturb it while it's searing — until deep caramel brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the tenderloin and continue searing until the other side is browned.
4. Mix the chutney and mustard in a small bowl and brush generously over the top of the tenderloin. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook the tenderloin until a probe thermometer reads 140°F, approximately 10 to 14 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and loosely tent with foil. Rest for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the tenderloin to finish cooking and for the juices to redistribute into the meat. Remove toothpicks and slice into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces for serving. Serve with any leftover chutney on the side.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a note to recipe)

3"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just got the orders from Tina. She's on way to the South Jersey farm house ( her uncles )that we have on the sales market, and she asked me to make breaded pork cutlets for supper tonight.

Sounds good to me. Especially with applesauce.

Poor thing has to drive over 3 hours down, and three hours back, just to let some people in to take paint brushes and artists implements and books. She's got to get rid of all that stuff, so at least it won't all go to trash.

I'm sure she will have an appetite after that ordeal.

4"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

That pork tenderloin sounds really good. I owe my former neighbours a dinner, I think I'll make that!

5"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:That pork tenderloin sounds really good.  I owe my former neighbours a dinner, I think I'll make that!

It's really good, Lore. We've truly fallen in love with that recipe. I make it a point (grin) to count the toothpicks I use so I make sure I pull them all out when it's done!

6"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Niagara Visitor

I make Beef rouladen often, they are held with toothpicks. I just tell people that I'm not responsible for toothpick injuries!

7"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:04 pm

NormM

NormM

I have not used the smoker much this year but today I smoked some spare ribs. Last night I made some sourdough and we had both with store bought slaw, beans and potato salad.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER DSCN3768_zpsomtfahkr

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your ribs ALWAYS look so good with that smoke ring.....you do it right!

9"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, that looks sooooooo good! Yum!!

10"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth and cooking girl. I got myself tanned and clothes well smoked too.

11"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Does look great Norm. You are right now that I think of it. You haven't been smoking that much in the smoker. The heat of summer tamed a bit, so I'll bet you start smoking more foods soon.

12"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Bagged frozen Mrs. "T"'s Pierogies. Ho Hum, but they filled the belly

13"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:20 pm

NormM

NormM

I should have been smoking all summer. Cassie loved it sometimes, other times she said she didn't like BBQ.  It depended on her mood on any particular day so I should have been glad to smoke more after she left but now that there is just two of us, there are a lot of leftovers soI thought I'd do something when I could invite a lot of people over but never got around to planning that far ahead.

14"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I should have been smoking all summer. Cassie loved it sometimes, other times she said she didn't like BBQ.  It depended on her mood on any particular day so I should have been glad to smoke more after she left but now that there is just two of us, there are a lot of leftovers soI thought I'd do something when I could invite a lot of people over but never got around to planning that far ahead.

Ribs looked divine, Norm. Our weather has just begun to cool off a tad (we just had one GORGEOUS week) so Brian has been talking about smoking something. We've both been in the mood for turkey lately but the price of both turkeys and turkey breasts has been so outrageous that we're just going to wait until it comes down a bit.

Your ribs looked so good that I might ask him to pick some up. He's always up for ribs but he smoked them sooo often that I got sick of them for a while and asked him for a "rib vacation." He'll be tickled that you cured me of it and I know his second rack will be used to make his delicious smoked baked beans. Yum! That and some fresh grilled pineapple will make a lovely dinner.

15"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:24 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks. Last summer I finally got smoked brisket (East Texas style) down and I'd like to try it again but it's for a whole brisket and that's a lot of meat for the two of us. Plus it takes all day and Plus-Plus Charlie leaves tomorrow for Las Vegas to visit his mom and family for a week.

16"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You should have given notice to the neighbors, Norm. When you know you're going to cook too much you should raise the 'Pig / Steer Flag' and let them know a meal is in the works. Then they could call and you could tell them what time to show up.

But then again, a whole brisket is a whole lotta $$....I would imagine a tad (or more) above $100.

17"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie took the last of the ribs and beer over to our back yard neighbors and watched the football game with them. I'd be careful over which of my neighbors I'd want to invite though. Calling everyone within sight of a flag would not be a great idea, IMHO.

I got 2 briskets last year from two renowned meat markets. They are said to be places where BBQ contest participants go for their meat and both were over $100. Funny thing is they were both choice cuts and then I got a prime cut brisket from Costco and it was about $80.00

18"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, but NOW you know where to go! That was a good lesson.

19"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:04 pm

NormM

NormM

I keep my fingers crossed that they have them when I want one.

20"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I'm able to 'enlarge' the pics on my phone.....get ready to drool!

Chicken Meatballs. Angus Beef Italian Meatballs, Cheese Lasagna, Eggplant Parmigiano, Spinach Lasagna, Meat Lasagna, Sausage Lasanga ~ $8.99/lb

Veal Lasagna ~ $9.99/lb Baked Ziti ~ $6.99/lb Pasta Marinara ~ $5.99/lb

Spinach & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken ~ $8.99/lb Penne Caprese ~ $9.99/lb

Peas, Bacon & Leeks ~ $9.99/lb Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Sweet Potatoes ~$6.99/lb

Chicken Marsala, Chicken L'Orange, Coconut Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken ~ $9.99/lb

Salad & Olive Bar ~ $9.99/lb

Green Beans Almondine, Basalmic Vegetables, Green Beans & Sundried Cranberries ~ $9.99/lb

Mediterranean Kale Salad ~ $11.99/lb

Organic Wild Rice w/Walnuts & Chic Peas ~ $11.99/lb Chicken Salad ~ $11.99/lb

Crab (Surnami) Salad ~ $10.99/lb Southwest Black Bean & Corn Salad ~ $8.99/lb

Albacore Tuna Salad ~ $11.99/lb

I didn't get all the names or prices included in my pics (remember I had to be quick and stop when told.....LOL) but you get the idea. I didn't think the prices were bad at all. I could imagine stopping for some stuffed shells or manicotti or lasagna to reheat at the vacation condo and getting a fresh loaf of bread and tossing a small salad for a fairly inexpensive meal to share.

Given the location of the store and the looks of their food, I don't think the prices are bad either, Beth. I'm not used to buying prepared food by the pound but I think a pound of cheese, spinach, meat or sausage lasagna for $8.99 seems like quite a good deal. The olive bar looks particularly delicious and $9.99/lb. considering the price of good olives seems downright reasonable.

I certainly agree with you, Beth, that picking up an entire meal would be pretty inexpensive when you consider the amount of people you could feed. Considering how good everything looked and the reasonable prices, I would probably be stopping in there more days than not if on vacation.

Beth wrote:Since there were 5 of us it was much cheaper and (quite honestly) easier to fix meals at the condo. It was nothing fancy ~ chicken quesadillas one night, taco salad another.....could have easily done burgers/hot dogs. But everyone seemed to enjoy just hanging out and not having to get showered and changed in the late afternoon to leave for dinner.

I can understand that, too, as it's the time of day when you're kind of tired. Lounging around with cocktails or wine would be fun while somebody or a couple of somebodies cook. Did you guys take turns cooking or what? I know you made that taco salad but who else cooked and what did they make? Any picky eaters in the bunch?

It really sounds like you had a wonderful time. Did you just know your friend or did you know the other three ladies beforehand? It's nice that you all got along, a tall order in my book with FIVE women together for a week. Wink

Did Dane lose any weight while you were gone? I'm laughing but it would've been the perfect time for him to avoid the dreaded carbs! I know he missed you while you were gone but you sure set him up well in the food dept. before leaving!

21"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I keep my fingers crossed that they have them when I want one.

Briskets do take a long time to smoke if you're going for pull-apart done. We sometimes just smoke them until they're tender, which is a lot quicker. Lately I've been craving one from the oven. I had this recipe called "Madge's Damn Good Brisket" printed out in my stack of printed recipes for years and had never made it. A girl I worked with (who didn't cook but whose mom did along with owning a cooking implements store outside of Lafayette, LA) gave me the recipe around 1993 with a few personal comments added to her typed copy like, "Madge said a 10 pound brisket should cost about $____ a pound," "Madge said not to cut off the fat cap (?) and not to get the butcher to do it, whatever that means," and my personal favorite, "If you have any questions, call Madge at (her mom's phone number) because I sure and heck couldn't answer any question you may have."

About two years ago on a rainy weekend, Brian decided to make Madge's recipe. It was delicious and the house smelled good for hours while it cooked. Now that the weather is finally cooling off (our version of cool, that is), it will be nice to give my "new" oven a workout.

My girlfriend's mom that owned the store was a longtime alcoholic. Stephanie hated "fancy" food which is what her gourmet mom cooked all the time. The funny part is that she said when she was young, she and her siblings would get served dinner about 10 or 10:30 p.m., as her mom drank while cooking. I howled, as Steph said she knew I'd love her mom's food by what I ordered when we went out to lunch at a nice restaurant. She said her mom wouldn't care that they moaned and groaned while waiting, saying, "Oh, hush up, as that's why I made you appetizers" (also fancy food by Steph's standards). No matter how nice the restaurant was, Steph always ordered a hamburger with onions on the side!

Our next purchase might be a slow cooker. I've been wanting one for a while (storage space is an issue) and the other day, Brian said he'd like one, too. The man never asks for a thing so it's definitely on my agenda, especially since he's been doing most of the cooking for a while now. If anyone sees the Cuisinart 6-quart one on sale, please advise me, as I might be ready to take the plunge at that time. I just saw where it came out on top of another set of reviews of the cookers. Plus I like how Cuisinart stands behind their appliances -- they replace them with no problem if you've had a problem. I just love that.

22"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I just bought a Breville 6 qt slow cooker for 130.00. Regular price was listed at $250.

If you go to You Tube and look for BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket. He explains how to prepare a brisket for the smoker and he leaves a quarter inch of fat on the brisket. It is enough to keep the brisket from drying out and too much fat is... well too fatty. The fastest I have ever had a whole brisket get done in the smoker is 8 hours and it was very tender but not falling apart. He says (not on this tape) that if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil and hold it up, it should stay together but pull apart with a little tug.

23"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina just bought a 5 qt slow cooker with the high low setting. Manual ... used, but in good condition for $14.00 but 22.00 shipping priority class.

We have an electronic cooker, but if there is a power surge or glitch, the darn thing is digital electronic, and a couple times, during a storm, we had power dips like for a second. Well.....that sets the cooker back to a flashing power button; waiting to re-program the cooking high / low etc.

The one she bought was a 5 qt. manual high / low / off.

24"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I still cannot figure out how to get pics to or from my photobucket account.....I'm so lame when something changes from my 'usual'. So, picture this:

Hamburger patties on the grill, seasoned with my Hungarian Steak Seasoning, Haluski (cabbage, onion, carrot and cooked egg noodles w/bacon for seasoning) and Penzey seasoned green beans.

I could probably pick another (old) pic and you all wouldn't know the difference! LOL

But I'm too lazy to go through my 1,500 pics to find the right one.....

25"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I just bought a Breville 6 qt slow cooker for 130.00. Regular price was listed at $250.

If you go to You Tube and look for BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket.  He explains how to prepare a brisket for the smoker and he leaves a quarter inch of fat on the brisket.  It is enough to keep the brisket from drying out and too much fat is... well too fatty.  The fastest I have ever had a whole brisket get done in the smoker is 8 hours and it was very tender but not falling apart.  He says (not on this tape) that if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil and hold it up, it should stay together but pull apart with a little tug.

Those Breville products are top of the line products. They are made in Australia. I bought each one of the kids for Christmas, the Pannini griddle machine. They have it almost 2 years now, and they both love them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 15]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum