Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now?

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty. I was so happy to have found the delicata squash (finally) at Fresh Market yesterday. It's the first I've seen any this year. The pork steak just got browned & then braised, first on the stove and then in the oven when the cut slices of squash went in to bake.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_13_13

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_13_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

The store had whole brisket for sale for 5.99/lb. I got one and cut it into 5 smaller roasts and froze them for later. I braised one today with beer and vegetables. October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 20211015

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

hAD LEFTOVER sausage and peppers tonight.

I had the task of dividing up 1 Lb packages of ground beef today also, from the 5 Lb pack DD picked up from the butcher shop yesterday.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:I found some Kalbi in the freezer and it got grilled.  The hot dog was incase we ate all the ribs and were still hungry.  There were leftover kalbi.
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 20211014

Norm, I'm wondering how to cook that ribs, I tried once and they turned out tough Shocked

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Tonight (finally) was the baked spaghetti squash with marinara (mine is half/half with butter and s&p).  I had some leaf lettuce so I made Grandma's 'everyday' salad with a dressing of sour cream and vinegar syrup, with the addition of some slivered onion.

D grew spaghetti squash in out yard, since this summer we have about 10 spaghetti squash, yesterday D picked the last 4 squashes, we have been eating them, I steamed them, sauteed them. Today I baked spaghetti squash boat. I cut the squash in half, took out the seeds, then added a bit water in the squash, microwaved them for 6 minutes, they were softened, so I could dig out the squash's meat, I had cooked sausage and with some onion and 1 jar of pasta sauce, I mixed them, added some olive oil, cheese, put them back in the squash shell, baked for 30 minutes, they were so taste

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 4ca37110
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 52428810
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 06334f10

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Imelda HL wrote:
NormM wrote:I found some Kalbi in the freezer and it got grilled.  The hot dog was incase we ate all the ribs and were still hungry.  There were leftover kalbi.

Norm, I'm wondering how to cook that ribs, I tried once and they turned out tough  Shocked  

Hi Imelda. If you are talking about slab ribs, I use the following method. The ribs in the picture above was grilled over hot coals for about 7-10 minutes per side. The Korean marinade helps tenderize them but they will not be as tender as slab ribs cooked like below.

When I smoke them, I first put a BBQ rub on them and cook as close to 250 degrees for two hours.  Every 15 or 20 minutes I moisten them with apple juice.  I also have a container of water near the fire so there will be some steam in the cooking chamber.  After two hours, I take them out, brush them with a mix of melted butter and honey.  Then I wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and put them back in the smoker for one or two more hours, depending whether they are spare ribs or baby back.  Baby back ribs can cook faster but if you want them to be falling off the bone, cook them for two hours.  Finally I take them out of the foil and brush them with BBQ sauce and put back in the smoker for just as long as it takes to set the sauce.  Just brush on as much sauce to moisten the ribs.  I never just pour it on.  If you want, after the ribs get wrapped, you can move them to the oven in the kitchen.  They don't need any more smoke. If you don't have a smoker, a bbq grill will work. Put the charcoal on one side of the grill and ribs on the other side so the heat from the charcoal in not directly under the ribs.  You will need to add more charcoal during the cook.  When I used a Weber, I got a special grate that had hinges on the side so they could be lifted up to add more charcoal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner. Morelake Erie pickerel from the grocery store today. On a bed of rice and mushrooms and steamed broccoli. Yumm!"

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_14_12

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't make any supper tonight. I heated leftovers for Dane ~ He was happy with his choices.....

Lyn & I went to Bountiful Farms Bistro in Leesburg (south of us, about 30 minute drive). It's a small, family run farm market with the addition of a 'temporary' kitchen in a mobile trailer. The tables are all set up under a gigantic Live Oak tree with Spanish Moss dripping from it. If it's not too warm it's really quite comfortable, although outdoor dining is not a favorite of mine or Lyn. But we had read good things about the food so we decided to give it a try.

And the food was excellent. They make their own bread for sandwiches and everything we had was fresh & tasty.

Lyn had a Mediterranean Chicken Sandwich with a grilled marinated chicken breast and something that looked like a chunky olive tapanade that came on a Sun Dried Tomato Bread. She ordered the potato salad as a side and it was really tasty and fresh.

I ordered the Fried Green Tomato BLT with Avocado on Sourdough Grilled Bread and I chose the slaw as a side (as recommended by our waitress).

Both sandwiches were excellent (much too large but we ate just until we got to the "I'm-about-to-burst" stage.....

There were many items on the menu that sounded interesting to try so we'll probably return sometime this fall.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_14_13

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_14_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Marie Callenders frozen TV dinners.
Chicken for Tina, and Salisbury steak for me.
Tina is walking around Gaaking.... She doesn't think it is gonna stay down.
..... Poor thing !

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Navy Beans, ham shanks and collards

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 20211016

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed one of my Provencal London Broil Steaks this morning. I decided to use up any leftover sides in the refrigerator so it was a kind of hodge-podge meal.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_15_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just finished cod for me, and sole for Tina. Zucchini and rice.
Ready for coffee and a cookie .... ( s ) alien tongue

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork tenderloin with a spicy ketchup brown sugar glaze. I cut slits in the meat so the glaze went into it. Hasselback potato and some butternut squash all baked in the oven."

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_15_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed two half-size racks of ribs this morning. I texted neighbor Jim to ask him if he'd like to join us for ribs (one of his all time favorites) but he had already accepted an invitation to another neighbor's for supper tonight.

I had picked up the interesting looking Red Kuri Squash at Fresh Market when I bought the Delicata Squash I had earlier in the week. They seem to be the only market in my area to stock 'out-of-the-ordinary' vegetables. Both were fairly pricey, as vegetables go, but I was interested in giving this one a try. It was very tasty ~ almost a hubbard squash like flavor, but more moist. I can remember my Grandmother (dad's mother) grew hubbard squash. They were like boulders! And very hard. She would take them out to the wood pile and split them with an axe!

The ribs were some baby backs I picked up at Sam's Club or Costco ~ they come packaged 3-racks/package. These were VERY meaty. I was shocked when I took two nice ribs that Dane ended up eating the rest of a half rack. That's really unusual for him to eat so much. I asked him if he liked them (LOL) and he just replied, "NO, I'm just trying to figure out what I DON'T like about them!" Hahahahahahaha!

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_16_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Stir Fry Dinner Tonight. Onions mushrooms,red pepper, broccoli , shrimp and scallops in a cream sauce on tagliatelle. Yumm!"

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_16_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dogs from Hot Dog Johnny's on wax paper. ( The dog, pickle, and onions wrapper ).
That... x2... washed down with chocolate milk. Ummm!!!! It was a treat. Not for my breath though.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 Hot_do10

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

Norm, I'm wondering how to cook that ribs, I tried once and they turned out tough  Shocked  

Hi Imelda.  If you are talking about slab ribs, I use the following method.  The ribs in the picture above was grilled over hot coals for about 7-10 minutes per side.  The Korean marinade helps tenderize them but they will not be as tender as slab ribs cooked like below.

When I smoke them, I first put a BBQ rub on them and cook as close to 250 degrees for two hours.  Every 15 or 20 minutes I moisten them with apple juice.  I also have a container of water near the fire so there will be some steam in the cooking chamber.  After two hours, I take them out, brush them with a mix of melted butter and honey.  Then I wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and put them back in the smoker for one or two more hours, depending whether they are spare ribs or baby back.  Baby back ribs can cook faster but if you want them to be falling off the bone, cook them for two hours.  Finally I take them out of the foil and brush them with BBQ sauce and put back in the smoker for just as long as it takes to set the sauce.  Just brush on as much sauce to moisten the ribs.  I never just pour it on.  If you want, after the ribs get wrapped, you can move them to the oven in the kitchen.  They don't need any more smoke. If you don't have a smoker, a bbq grill will work. Put the charcoal on one side of the grill and ribs on the other side so the heat from the charcoal in not directly under the ribs.  You will need to add more charcoal during the cook.  When I used a Weber, I got a special grate that had hinges on the side so they could be lifted up to add more charcoal.

Thank you Norm, I'll give a try next time I cook my ribs

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The leftover London Broil grilled steak got turned into Steak Salad tonight ~ hard cooked eggs, tomatoes, carrots, celery, radishes, iceburg lettuce, canned rice noodles on mine (HE doesn't like the crunchy stuff) and a few black olive slices.  Just used bottled dressing.  Oh, and a toasted Walmart bakery roll......

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_17_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was ho-hum leftover beef stew. Cookies for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I put my dinner on one of my favourite red plates and realize that it does not make my food appetizing so, white again tomorrow But tonight’s was delicious anyway pork, breaded schnitzel, oven roasted Potato chuncks, and sauerkraut fried with some bacon."

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_17_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was Ribs 'Re-Do'.......baked acorn squash and made cut-off-the-cob corn.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_18_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Darlene had a birthday party to go to ~ a sort of 'pot luck' where everyone is happy to contribute something.  She asked what the hostess would like and her friend suggested a fruit salad.  OK, she thought ~ but when she was telling me about it she was moaning because she can never seem to purchase ripe cantaloupe, watermelon and the California strawberries we have available right now are tasteless.  

So I suggested a grape salad ~ still a 'fruit salad' but WAY easier and always a hit.  She didn't know what I was talking about so I told her to look on allrecipes.com and search 'grape salad' for a bunch of recipe ideas.  I said some won't sound good and some might sound like it will be sweet but just look the recipes over and decide on one.  I said she could always put the dish on the table and if no one ate it just don't admit you made it!  LOL

Well, the party was last night and she was SO excited to text me and tell me HER dish was the only one emptied at the end of the evening!  And it WAS easy to make so she was thrilled about that.  She even got asked for the recipe by two of the other ladies.  That's always a confidence booster, for sure.

I think she used the recipe for the dressing of 1-8 oz. cream cheese, 1 c. sour cream, 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla ~ beat together until smooth.  Stir into bowl of whole seedless grapes until covered.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans and a little brown sugar at serving time.

She brought me a small dish to try and it was perfect.  It's been years since I've made it but it's always a huge hit that goes over really well with a group.  Somehow people think if it's fresh fruit it's healthier than a dessert........and it's called Grape SALAD.......LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was tomato sandwiches with salami, cheese, and lettuce.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made the Chicken & Stuffing w/Mushrooms & Gravy tonight ~ I've got pics of the cooking so I can 'teach' DD#2.....she does better with a photo essay to refer to.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_19_11

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 3 10_19_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was beef stew tonight and beef soup for lunch.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum