Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now?

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

101October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It was carryout from Toscana's tonight. I had fish, and the others, kids and Tina, had meatballs, calamari, and all sorts of cookies and cannoli.
It was all great, and everyone was full.

Happy Birthday Dinner!

Woo Hoo!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

102October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight for uncle’s birthday tomorrow. Rainbow trout stuffed with a rice, mushroom, shrimp and scallop mix; fingerling potatoes and butternut squash; heirloom tomatoes and olives; tartar sauce; lemon cake for dessert. Stuffing was really good. There’s leftovers for lunch tomorrow."

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_24_13

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_24_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I made a recipe for Ranch Fried Chicken. When I was posting the recipe, I noticed some of the original recipe was missing and I didn't remember where I had found it. It took quite a while to find out that someone had posted a Cooks Country post without giving them credit. I didn't find that recipe again but I found it posted by someone else and they did give credit for it. We really liked it. If I had known ahead that it was from Cooks Country, I probably would not have liked it so much Razz October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 20211017
October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 20211018

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made a recipe for Ranch Fried Chicken.  When I was posting the recipe, I noticed some of the original recipe was missing and I didn't remember where I had found it. It took quite a while to find out that someone had posted a Cooks Country post without giving them credit. I didn't find that recipe again but I found it posted by someone else and they did give credit for it.  We really liked it. If I had known ahead that it was from Cooks Country, I probably would not have liked it so much Razz

That's funny, Norm! But sometimes Cooks Country & Cooks Illustrated had some really good recipes ~ we just have to get over it! LOL

(I know my all time favorite cole slaw recipe was from Cooks Country.....a Memphis Cole Slaw recipe with a hot dressing that gets poured over the cabbage......I think....gee, now I don't remember. I guess I'll have to go look it up.)

Your chicken does look really good, however.

NormM

NormM

Beth, I know they often have good recipes.  They got on my wrong side a long time ago with their deceptive marketing, biased evaluations of products and lack of understanding of regional foods outside of New England. It also irks me how they want money for everything.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I had my Annual Eye Exam (I was only 11 years late in scheduling it.....).  I wore glasses for years but when we moved to Florida and I wasn't working any longer I found I really didn't need them so much.  So, I passed my Driving Test Exam without them and just stopped wearing them.  Turns out I wasn't wrong ~ instead of 20/20 vision I have 20/25, which the ophthalmologist says is fine for going without correction, even driving.  Cool.

However, my appointment was at 1:00 in the afternoon and my eyes stayed dialated ALL DAY!  Light was painful! I had hamburger patties thawed for supper and fresh beans trimmed.  It was all I coul do to wear my sunglasses in the house & out to grill the burgers and sit at the table to eat.  I spent most of the afternoon/evening in the darkened bedroom.

But, this morning all is good.  No more 'Surprised Cat !!!' eyes.  Everything is back in focus.

I decided to make some Mrs. T's Pierogies for my lunch.  I picked them up last week and have been thinking about them every time I opened the freezer.  With some sauteed onions in butter they sure hit the spot.

We're going out with neighbor Jim tonight to one of the Country Clubs.  So, no more cooking for me today.  I've already started the dishwasher so I have a clean coffee pot for tomorrow morning!

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_25_12

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_26_12

NormM

NormM

I have never failed an eye test at the DMV but got prescription glasses years ago because I didn't like not being able to see distance objects as well as I wanted to as an art teacher. I had prescription polarized sunglasses because the glare of the sun on the windshield bothered me. Four years or so ago I noticed things looked hazy while driving and I figured after all these years I was ready for a new prescription but when i too them off to clean them, I could see just fine. Later the eye doctor said my eyesight was 20/20 again and that happens sometimes.

NormM

NormM

I made Buffalo Wings today. I used Alton Brown's recipe. First they were steamed then dried in the refrigerator and baked in the oven for 40 minutes. Charlie said they were perfect.October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 20211019

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made Buffalo Wings today.  I used Alton Brown's recipe.  First they were steamed then dried in the refrigerator and baked in the oven for 40 minutes. Charlie said they were perfect.

How do you top that tomorrow????

I've also done the 'steamed' method ~ ~ watched the episode of 'Good Eats' where he screwed multiple vegetable steamers together to layer chicken wings in a deep pot to steam.  Pretty ingenious!  I just used one vegetable steamer basket in a skillet.....It made sense to steam the wings to render the fat and then brown in the oven.

Last edited by bethk on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had grilled burgers and spaghetti squash. Brussels sprouts DD made, but they were too tough for Tina and me. DD had salmon ....
Apple slices baked in apple cider is cooking for dessert in a little bit.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salad of spring mix, orange pepper, onion, grape tomatoes, half an avocado, feta, Turkey breast pieces, and the last of the tartar sauce I made for Sunday’s fish as a dressing. Never used tartar sauce as a salad dressing before. But it was pretty good!"

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_26_13

112October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 am

NormM

NormM

Beth, someone else said this recipe also works well.

Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings
★★★★★Author: Lyndsay BurgingerPrep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 20 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 25 minutesYield: 20 wings 1x
Ingredients 10 whole chicken wings, cut into flat and drumettes. Discard tips or use for stock. That leaves you with 20 wing pieces total.
1 Tbsp. aluminum-free* baking powder (NOT baking soda)
½ tsp. salt
Sauce or dry rub
Instructions
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a oven-safe rack on top of cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, use your hands to toss the flats and drumettes with the baking powder and salt until chicken is evenly coated. But do not add extra baking powder. Just mix them so they all have some.
Place wings on the rack in single layer. Transfer rack and cookie sheet to oven and cook for 30 minutes. This baking at a low temperature dries the wings out and allows the baking powder to penetrate.
After 30 minutes, leave the wings in the oven but raise the heat to 425°F. Continue to cook until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
Take wings out and let rest 5 minutes. Toss in a delicious sauce like this one and serve.
Notes
As stated at the top of this article and in the comments below, some baking powders contain aluminum and some people (maybe 10%) can really taste it and it tastes bitter to them. To make sure that your wings do not taste bitter, please use an aluminum-free baking powder such as Rumford brand. And as noted everywhere, please make sure you’re using baking powder and NOT baking soda. And please make sure that you’re just using a little bit of baking powder, like the 1 tablespoon called for. You are not trying to create a breading or coating for the wings. You are just putting a little bit because that little bit changes the ph of the wings which is what makes them crisp up so well. Who knew there was so much to say about baking powder??? lol
Adapted from Cook’s Country. The science behind it all can be found here on Serious Eats.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue for supper tonight. Tina had to go to the garage workshop for the oil change for the car. She is at a diner, and will bring me something.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Beth, someone else said this recipe also works well.

Crispy Oven-Baked Chicken Wings
★★★★★Author: Lyndsay BurgingerPrep   Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 20 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 25 minutesYield: 20 wings 1x
Ingredients 10 whole chicken wings, cut into flat and drumettes.  Discard tips or use for stock.  That leaves you with 20 wing pieces total.
1 Tbsp. aluminum-free* baking powder (NOT baking soda)
½ tsp. salt
Sauce or dry rub
Instructions
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a oven-safe rack on top of cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, use your hands to toss the flats and drumettes with the baking powder and salt until chicken is evenly coated. But do not add extra baking powder. Just mix them so they all have some.
Place wings on the rack in single layer. Transfer rack and cookie sheet to oven and cook for 30 minutes. This baking at a low temperature dries the wings out and allows the baking powder to penetrate.
After 30 minutes, leave the wings in the oven but raise the heat to 425°F. Continue to cook until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
Take wings out and let rest 5 minutes. Toss in a delicious sauce like this one and serve.
Notes
As stated at the top of this article and in the comments below, some baking powders contain aluminum and some people (maybe 10%) can really taste it and it tastes bitter to them. To make sure that your wings do not taste bitter, please use an aluminum-free baking powder such as Rumford brand. And as noted everywhere, please make sure you’re using baking powder and NOT baking soda. And please make sure that you’re just using a little bit of baking powder, like the 1 tablespoon called for. You are not trying to create a breading or coating for the wings. You are just putting a little bit because that little bit changes the ph of the wings which is what makes them crisp up so well. Who knew there was so much to say about baking powder??? lol
Adapted from Cook’s Country. The science behind it all can be found here on Serious Eats.

I'm sure those wings are deliciously crisp, but it seems like a lot of work/bother. LOL

NormM

NormM

Lore, this is a recipe I have not tried. Someone said it worked well. The one I actually used was even more work that this one.

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Lore, this is a recipe I have not tried.  Someone said it worked well.  The one I actually used was even more work that this one.

Well, my children and friends are happy with my simple way of making them so I will definitely not be doing them any differently. I only make wings when my children ask for them, never make them just for myself. I'm happy to make some things that take a lot of time and effort, don't like wings enough for that.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some pork steak pulled out to thaw this morning ~ thought of doing a braise with BBQ sauce but then saw a fresh head of cabbage and decided on sauerkraut instead.

I've been playing around with mixing a tiny tin of sauerkraut with a good amount of sliced cabbage and a bit of onion. Tonight I think I got the mix just about right ~ it was still 'sauerkraut' but it was tamed a bit.....oh, and I grated in a very small apple to take the edge off the tart fermented taste.

And I didn't feel like making spaetzle so it was mashed potatoes.

As long as I had apples out today I thought a small bit of Waldorf Salad sounded good, too. Funny, but we both just had it as 'dessert'. It's been a long while since I've made that.

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_27_11

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

118October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and I had BLT's.... minestrone soup, and coleslaw.
Rice pudding for dessert.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

One of the recipes I thought I might try is one for cheeseburger soup. I decided not to make it but Charlie saw it and wanted to try it, so it was our meal today.October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 20211020

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very pretty, Norm

*even though I'm pretty sure that looks like cilantro......but in MY mind I'm making it parsley & chives, for sure! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

from Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftovers of the stuffing I made a few days ago for the rainbow trout. It was a rice mixture with shrimp and scallops. Yummy as a sort of casserole."

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_28_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some Johnsonville brats at the store the other day. Tonight I decided to grill them (after the rain stopped) and I made red beets with the stems & greens and also some Brussels sprouts with bacon, onion & red grapes (it's an idea I got from Barb a long time ago ~ thought it was crazy until I tried it and found the grapes cook down and really just lightly sweeten the sprouts in a good way). Oh, and I reheated the leftover mashed potatoes from last night.....

October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 10_28_14

123October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:21 am

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:[size=16]Yesterday I had my Annual Eye Exam (I was only 11 years late in scheduling it.....).  I wore glasses for years but when we moved to Florida and I wasn't working any longer I found I really didn't need them so much.  So, I passed my Driving Test Exam without them and just stopped wearing them.  Turns out I wasn't wrong ~ instead of 20/20 vision I have 20/25, which the ophthalmologist says is fine for going without correction, even driving.  Cool.

However, my appointment was at 1:00 in the afternoon and my eyes stayed dialated ALL DAY!  Light was painful! I had hamburger patties thawed for supper and fresh beans trimmed.  It was all I coul do to wear my sunglasses in the house & out to grill the burgers and sit at the table to eat.  I spent most of the afternoon/evening in the darkened bedroom.
][/url]

Beth….not to preach but don’t ever do that again. The year we bought this house we were juggling a bunch of crap. Steve was going to cancel his eye doctor appt for,glasses because we were so busy but he went. Thank goodness he did.  His eye,pressure was so high that they wondered why he didn’t lose his vision. If he would have skipped his appointment, he’d be blind now.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made spaghetti; meatballs, and sausages. Pumpkin pie DIL made, for dessert.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

125October, 2021   What's in the kitchen now? - Page 5 Empty Re: October, 2021 What's in the kitchen now? Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a couple containers of chili thawing for supper tonight. Must be back in a 'meal-planning-funk' because absolutely nothing comes to mind.....

((sigh))

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum