Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen?

+3
NormM
Cookin Lore
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll be having leftovers......again. Not my favorite thing to have but it's there and needs to be eaten instead of tossed.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

I don't like to do it either, but I tossed two meals of leftovers yesterday. My last, half stuffed pepper, and some chicken paprikash. I don't have much freezer space, and I just have to learn to cook smaller amounts.

There is a huge bookstore close to where I live which sells discontinued books, new, but not available in bookstores any more, at at least 50% off the reg. price. I will go and look for a book "cooking for one" when our lockdown eases. Don't want to order from Amazon, shipping is high.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You can read all the 'Cooking-For-One' recipes you want but old habits die hard. We continue to add a bit of this, a bit of that and next thing you know we have to put out the "FREE MEALS" sign.....

((sigh))

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:You can read all the 'Cooking-For-One' recipes you want but old habits die hard.  We continue to add a bit of this, a bit of that and next thing you know we have to put out the "FREE MEALS" sign.....

((sigh))

Unfortunately I think you're right. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I heated the last of the Italian Beef for sandwiches for supper. I paired the sandwich with some tri-color carrots......super sweet.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? 03_01_13

NormM

NormM

We will have leftovers. It was nice enough to grill outside today so I got some thick ribeyes and corn on the cob.  I had mine with a salad and baked potato and Charlie had mac & cheese with his.March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? 20210310

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? 20210311

Last edited by NormM on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

I've been nibbling all day, a little fruit, a croissant with peanut butter, a hand full of Brazil nuts, half a sausage, so I think my leftover beef from yesterday will be tomorrow's dinner.

March sure has come in like a lion here, severe winds, snow, there are ominous clouds above my building, the kind you see in a sci-fi movie just before the invasion from space!!  My sons went ice fishing about 180 miles north of here, and road conditions are really bad.  I hope they were smart enough to say, that they should just stay another night.  Tough to be a non -interfering mother sometimes, and trust their wives to let me know if there's a problem.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I don't like to do it either, but I tossed two meals of leftovers yesterday.  My last, half stuffed pepper, and some chicken paprikash.  I don't have much freezer space, and I just have to learn to cook smaller amounts.  

There is a huge bookstore close to where I live which sells discontinued books, new, but not available in bookstores any more, at at least 50% off the reg. price.  I will go and look for a book "cooking for one" when our lockdown eases.  Don't want to order from Amazon, shipping is high.  

Why bother with a book. Just do the math. I do this every time I cook because Joe doesn't like leftovers either

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
We will have leftovers. It was nice enough to grill outside today so I got some thick ribeyes and corn on the cob.  I had mine with a salad and baked potato and Charlie had mac & cheese with his.

And a week ago it was -20° ! So glad you got a break in the cold. I'll bet those steaks tastes really good being cooked outside.

My DD#1 in Indianapolis said it's been a lot warmer for them, too.

Her husband has been recovering from hip surgery at his parent's condo in Flagler Beach, FL. and it's been a pretty nice recovery for him with the temperatures in the 80's. But their daughter is happy that Dad's on his way home this weekend, on crutches on a plane, but coming back home all the same.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I don't like to do it either, but I tossed two meals of leftovers yesterday.  My last, half stuffed pepper, and some chicken paprikash.  I don't have much freezer space, and I just have to learn to cook smaller amounts.  

There is a huge bookstore close to where I live which sells discontinued books, new, but not available in bookstores any more, at at least 50% off the reg. price.  I will go and look for a book "cooking for one" when our lockdown eases.  Don't want to order from Amazon, shipping is high.  

Why bother with a book. Just do the math. I do this every time I cook because Joe doesn't like leftovers either

I like cookbooks. I read in them like other people read novels. So, getting a book specifically for meals for one, may give me some new ideas. I do not like to look for recipes on the net.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love books too. I just don't have the room to store them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has literally, thousands of cook books. She is trying to give them away.
She reads cook books like one would read a novel.
##########################################

Today was chili that I made with French's original chil o mix.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I love books too. I just don't have the room to store them.

I'm lucky. My bedroom is 16x22 ft, I could have a whole wall of bookshelves.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have boxes full of books. I have a whole set of original Nancy Drew books with their dust jackets, several fore edge painting books, a Grey's Anatomy from 1870 and a bunch more. I used to have a bedroom as big as yours when I lived in San Marino but no more. I may convert the guest room back into an office if I can find some great used bookcases. I could put them there. I shipped off a bunch to my sisters already and still have a bunch.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I put one of Omaha's meals in the slow cooker. Beef bourguignon and frankly I am not sure I will be able to eat it. It smells a bit like dog food.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I headed out by 8:00 a.m. to take her car to Orlando for service. It was just suppose to be a 'minor' appointment, maybe an hour or so, but there was a Lexus recall on a fuel pump part that they just happened to have in stock so they wanted to take care of that also and that took it to an estimated 5 hours. No problem ~ they give her a free loaner and we take off to go shopping!

We went out for brunch and then, when the mall opened, made a stop at The Container Shop and then Macy's at the mall. By 3:30 we were pretty well tired out, stopped for a cold drink, and she got a text from the dealership the car was finished. Perfect timing!

I had texted Dane to let him know I wouldn't be home to fix supper and he was on his own so when I got home earlier than expected ~ about 5:00 ~ he had the grill fired up, a burger patty thawed and a bun toasted. He simmered some lima beans before he put his burger on the grill. I've taught him well! He asked if I wanted a burger thawed but it didn't sound good to me. But since the charcoal was still hot I thawed out a couple hot dogs and let them get crispy over the coals......YUM!

I also picked about a dozen green beans that were ready to be picked off the little patio pots ~ not enough for a meal for the two of us but just right for one. So we were both happy campers.

Well, I would have been a happier camper IF there were graham crackers, Hershey Bars & big marshmallows to toast on a long stick.....

Hahahahahaha

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? 03_02_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is a good substitution for ground veal? I am trying a new recipe for lasagna that uses ground beef, pork and veal. Since I don't know if the sauce is any good and the cost of veal expensive, I hesitate to use it first time around. Should I just skip it entirely for the first try?

Bugster2

Bugster2

We watched the first two episodes of "The Salisbury Poisonings" last night. For those of you who don't know what it is about, it is about the Russian agent and his daughter that were poisoned by a nerve agent (by the Russians) in England back in 2018. After the first 15 minutes of trying to translate the English English language into American English we were able to cut through the accents and understand, sort of, what they were saying. As George Bernard Shaw said: two people separated by a common language. It is very interesting and I am going to watch the final two episodes tonight. I think I may put on closed captioning this time.

The Omaha beef stew didn't taste as bad as I thought it would but I still couldn't eat it. Joe didn't think it was bad.

NormM

NormM

Veal is never available here. I have compensated by increasing the ground pork or by adding ground turkey. I imagine it does not taste like veal but no one here (including me) would ever know.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is what I thought Norm. I will just use pork. Ground veal costs $10/lb.

Cookin Lore

Finished the last of my little prime rib roast from Sunday (I think)Heated it in the oven and I also baked a Russet potato, which I think is not as good as a baked Yukon Gold. Biggest difference is that the russet did have a nice crisp skin but I like the flavour of the Gold better. And fresh asparagus.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What is a good substitution for ground veal? I am trying a new recipe for lasagna that uses ground beef, pork and veal. Since I don't know if the sauce is any good and the cost of veal expensive, I hesitate to use it first time around. Should I just skip it entirely for the first try?

I would just skip it!

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was left over split pea soup, and an ice cream sandwich for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I put one of Omaha's meals in the slow cooker. Beef bourguignon and frankly I am not sure I will be able to eat it. It smells a bit like dog food.

How was the "dog food"??? I made beef bourguignon once using Julia Child's recipe. Hubby said "What did you do to the goulash, it tastes terrible". LOL. (Sorry Julia, I still love you) Neither of us was impressed using red wine. I prefer my wine in a glass while cooking, not in the pot!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I took one bite for a taste. Joe ate it for dinner. That one bite gave me a bad stomach ache - too much pepper.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum