Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 2:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I figured I may as well start the new Months Thread...

Have no clue what to make for todays meal.
Something with pasta like with Alfredo sauce.
I could really go for chili over spaghetti ( angel hair ).

We shall see. No

bethk likes this post

2It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 9:17 am

Cookin Lore

I haven't had much seafood lately, so I think it will be something with shrimp or scallops, or BOTH! Time to open my Indian cookbooks and see if I can find something interesting in one of them.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

3It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 10:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I haven't had much seafood lately, so I think it will be something with shrimp or scallops, or BOTH! Time to open my Indian cookbooks and see if I can find something interesting in one of them.  

Seafood seasoned with your newly discovered Indian spices would be a great way to do a fusion of Mediterranean & Indian.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

4It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I haven't had much seafood lately, so I think it will be something with shrimp or scallops, or BOTH! Time to open my Indian cookbooks and see if I can find something interesting in one of them.  

Seafood seasoned with your newly discovered Indian spices would be a great way to do a fusion of Mediterranean & Indian.....

Great idea! I also have a book called "The Meditteranian Diet". I have used the Madras Masala mix that I bought in a couple of other recipes. I made a leek/potato/onion soup a few days ago and used some of the Indian spices in it. I am feeling confident enough to try adding new spices. Basically the only negative thing I have found in the Indian recipes is that basically everything is done in one pot.

5It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to do some 're-arranging' in the freezers to fit my now-frozen fish filets. I have two LARGE freezer bags, one with salmon filets and the other with grouper filets. The 5 pounds of shrimp I picked up stayed frozen in the cooler on the drive home and is in the garage freezer. I knew I had a small amount of shrimps left from the last time I made a 'fish run' and I really wanted to locate them so I could get them on a menu.

While I was checking for the small bag of shrimps I came across the trimmings from the beef tenderloin I had cooked for Easter. There were 4 very small filet chunks of beef ~ and the inspiration for tonight's supper.

SURF & TURF !!!

I love when I have an actual plan and don't stew around all day trying to come up with a good idea of what to cook.

6It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 2:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks like a day of whatever one can gather from the foodstuffs in tge house. Tina is down at the hospital near her uncles. He fell thursday night, and is in for finding why he gets dizzy. It may be his vertigo kicking in.
Poor Tina. It's a nightmare, for sure.
He is stubborn, and refuses to use the walker to get around. Mad
So that is why there is no desire to cook a really nice meal.

bethk likes this post

7It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Cookin Lore

Plan B for me today.  No seafood.  I went to my favourite butcher shop and bought a few things.  One of them is a stuffed pepper..  The stuffed peppers I have made for years, everything was basically pre-cooked, stuffed into the pepper and then only re-heated.  This one is ground beef, some of their sausage meat and rice.  I am going to examine the stuffing a little more before I put it into the oven. Uncooked

PS. It's now about four hours later, stuffed pepper was eaten, and I think better than what I used to do. I hope my son and daughter-in-law will also like these better, because that's how I will make them from now on. Way less work for me! LOL

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

8It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I cooked ( drum roll ) .......
I made Bolognaise with anger hair.
I had two drinks.....not water, but ginger ale and Maker's Mark ?Whisky.
An Ya know what? I am relaxed.

bethk likes this post

9It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I'll drink to that! (I'm having my ((very little)) Scotch & water)......

Supper was AMAZING! I think I've shot myself in the foot ~ I can't think he'll be all that excited to take me out to a restaurant when I serve him a meal like this at home.....

The filet mignons, seasoned with salt and the marinated shrimps (sour cream, sambal oeleck & sweet chili sauce) ready to grill ~ brought to room temperature so they don't 'shock' on the hot charcoal.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_01_12

Blanched carrots & green beans, seasoned with some butter & Penzey seasoning, ready to heat to temperature.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_01_13

Filets grilled to 123° and put to the side while the shimp skewers get cooked over the coals.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_01_14

And, finally, a meal fit for a king! I couldn't finish everything but it was really excellent. And I didn't hear any complaints so I have to assume HE enjoyed every bite, too.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_01_15

10It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner tonight. Stuffed pepper, baked potato and a wonderfully flavour full heritage tomato."

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_01_16

11It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I find it interesting that we all seem to make our stuffed peppers a little differently.

I make mine with more rice & veg and less meat.....usually with a tomato/marinara sauce along side.

I do like to use the yellow or red or orange peppers instead of the green ones. I think they have less acidity and are almost a sweet taste when cooked until tender.

And, I agree ~ that tomato does look fantastic!

12It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 02, 2021 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

After last night's 'special' supper, tonight seemed like an after thought......

But if I made 'special' suppers every night they would cease to be 'special' !

So, tonight was braised pork w/onions, leftover beans, corn & onions and leftover rice-a-roni.

But it was quite tasty. Oh, and I added a cucumber/onion salad with a dressing of sour cream & Grandma's vinegar syrup.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_02_13

13It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Sun May 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Cookin Lore

Looks/sounds pretty special to me!

14It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was sausage and peppers tonight. Tina threw it in the oven in a foil pan for 4 hours.

bethk likes this post

15It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw the last 1 lb. package of ground chuck in the freezer and suddenly had a hankering for lasagna.

So, first it was make the sauce. Dane likes when I 'bulk' the sauce with a bunch of vegetables. So I grated 2 carrots, chopped a couple stalks of celery, chopped a good sized onion, chopped a zucchini and also a whole container of crimini mushrooms. I added a bottle of the Trader Joe's organic marinara and also a large can of the San Marzano whole tomatoes ~ that I hand crush and remove the tomato cores and tough/firm parts. The sauce simmered away most of the afternoon.

I wanted a couple things from the store so while I was there I picked up a 1 lb. block of whole milk mozzarella to grate. I couldn't believe I ended up using all of it! I also made my 'faux ricotta' (because I don't like the texture of ricotta). It's small curd cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan & an egg that get blitzed in the mini food processor until it's a thick 'sauce'.

I used a large bread loaf pan ~ I like that I can get 5 or 6 layers and I don't have to use a whole box of lasagna noodles. Even freezing the leftovers is too much for the two of us. As it is, I have enough to share with neighbor Tom when he gets back from visiting Darlene at the hospital this evening and we'll still have a meal for us another day.

I'm glad I put the loaf pan on a foil lined 1/4 sheet pan when I baked it in the oven for an hour or so. I just KNEW it would overflow.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_13

I got 5 layers!

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_14

I just made a small salad to go with it ~ thought about toasting a couple rolls but decided against it.

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

16It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Good method .....
I love your recipe for the cheese sauce in the chopper / blender.
I always add eggs to my ricotta.

bethk likes this post

17It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 7:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Empanada's that DD made.
Lunch I had eggplant parmesan.

bethk likes this post

18It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Empanada's that DD made.

What did she fill the empanadas with? I make mine with the Cuban Picadillo (Cuban Sloppy Joes with green olives.....)

19It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was at Wal Mart this afternoon I saw this HUGE display in an 'end cap' at the frozen food aisle.

All I can comment is ~ ~ ~ WHY ????

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_16

Does anyone here eat 'Simulated Chicken' ?????

(If so, I'm sorry, but........Ewwwwwwww!)

20It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Empanada's that DD made.

What did she fill the empanadas with?  I make mine with the Cuban Picadillo (Cuban Sloppy Joes with green olives.....)

Some with ground beef / Rotel tomatoes, and cheese with
taco seasoning. She buys the Goya brand pre made shells, and she rolls them out bigger; then fills them. Some, she used cooked chicken instead of the beef. Oh! I forgot; she adds frozen corn to the filling too.
Speaking of c o r n. Lenny planted the corn yesterday. Most of it feed corn for the sheep.

bethk likes this post

21It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I do the same thing with my empanadas.....Goya frozen 'discos', packaged and separated with a thin piece of plastic/parchment. Rolled a bit thinner, brushed around the edges with egg so they seal well. Then I've discovered if I use a fork to seal all around the half-moon shape I also flip it over and press with the fork on the other side. Since I've started that method I haven't had a 'blow-out' since!

I've taken to baking them instead of crisping in hot oil. Less mess. I brush with a watered down egg wash and sprinkle with just a bit Kosher or flaky sea salt and pepper.

22It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I do the same thing with my empanadas.....Goya frozen 'discos', packaged and separated with a thin piece of plastic/parchment.  Rolled a bit thinner, brushed around the edges with egg so they seal well.  Then I've discovered if I use a fork to seal all around the half-moon shape I also flip it over and press with the fork on the other side.  Since I've started that method I haven't had a 'blow-out' since!

I've taken to baking them instead of crisping in hot oil.  Less mess.  I brush with a watered down egg wash and sprinkle with just a bit Kosher or flaky sea salt and pepper.

Exactly the way she makes them. No frying; so they are not greasy. She seals them with egg at the edges, and brushes egg wash on each one before the baking in the oven.

23It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last year, just after we started the remodel of our home, Sweet Michelle sent me some Mung Bean and Spicy Salad Sprouts seed. I had been talking about how I wanted to grow some Mung Beans to use in stir fry meals and she had been growing salad sprouts for her and Brian to have on salads & sandwiches. She did love her sandwiches!

It was such a busy time, I just stashed the packages of seeds in a kitchen drawer and, quite honestly, forgot about them. When I discovered they had passed away it hit me like a rock ~ I had to get those seeds from the drawer and actually start growing them!

So, here's to Michelle!

Day 2 of the Mung Bean Sprouts and Spicy Salad Blend Sprouts:

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_17

It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? 05_03_18

24It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 am

Cookin Lore

OH, thanks for posting those sprouts, I forgot that I bought some mung beans, and have them in a drawer too! Will do it today!

25It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Empty Re: It's MAY 2021...What's cooking? Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:OH, thanks for posting those sprouts, I forgot that I bought some mung beans, and have them in a drawer too!  Will do it today!

It's thrilling! The mung beans sprouted in just the first overnight soak...by day 2 there were little 'tails' starting!

I have mine sitting on the countertop, next to the sink for the daily 'rinse-drain-repeat' process and then tilted in a paper towel lined pan.

Today is day 3 and some of the spicy salad sprouts have started to sprout ~ glad I watched a couple 'you-tube' videos to get some pointers on how to roll them to have them distributed around the jar.

I'm looking forward to my first stir fry with FRESH bean sprouts!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum