Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens!

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had two Nathans hot dogs with mustard and onions on split top buns.
Tony Packo's sweet hot pickles and peppers on the side.
Tina had mashed potatoes plain. DD just made the cookie dough for making
shark shaped cookies. This week is shark week.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I've seen ads for it, but what is Shark Week about?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:I've seen ads for it, but what is Shark Week about?

Shark week is a series of documentaries on sharks. It is very educational,
and explains safety when and where sharks may be present.
We watched the movie "Jaws" last night.

Goli is just vinegar gummy bears. GOLO is the one specifically for weight loss, and is advertised on the tv. Crying or Very sad
My fault, and Tina was misinformed. The apple cider is still good though.
It does help, and doesn't have bad chemicals in it. So they say! hahaha Razz

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up pulling a pork tenderloin out of the freezer for supper.

Then it struck me that a fresh peach salsa would be really good with the pork ~ as well as a snack with tortilla chips!

I still had the zucchini Lyn brought back from her sister-in-law's so that's going to be turned into 'vegetable spaghetti' with some strips of carrot & onion.  The two ears of corn in the drawer will get sauteed up with some of Miz Kathie's Dixie Dust and a tiny bit of half & half.

and that will be supper!

And supper came out just as I planned!

Dane gave it 2 thumbs up.....

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_11_15

Last edited by bethk on Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper will be stuffed shells .... cheese filling that were frozen from the cheese family factory in Flanders NJ
Maria is baking shark cookies. ( pressed butter cookies )

We are having a heat wave in the kitchen. I have the A/C on to cool the kitchen a little.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man.....

I haven't made stuffed shells in an eternity!

But it's too hot right now but it'll be in my head for quite a while until I finally make them.

(thanks a lot, Jimmy..........)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, man.....

I haven't made stuffed shells in an eternity!

But it's too hot right now but it'll be in my head for quite a while until I finally make them.

(thanks a lot, Jimmy..........)

You're welcome Beth. Actually, we haven't had them in a while either.
Maria is here, and cooking up a storm. Breaded shrimp just came out of the air fryer. Ummm!

Cookin Lore

Never made or had stuffed shells!  I made stuffed mushrooms today, look for the email, Beth!

Dinner Tonight. I had some mushrooms I was going to fry, and then I thought about stuffing them So, I did. Had a bit of cooked rice in the freezer and used that as a sort of filler. Made up a mixture of chopped up squid tentacles and some salmon. Added some rice, mozzarella cheese, fresh dill, pepper, garlic, thyme and melted butter. That was for three of the mushrooms. The other three I used some kolbassa, fresh red peppers, parsley, rice and also mozzarella. Lots of black pepper and garlic! Delicious.

I had thought it would be a side, but they ended up being dinner.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_11_10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I've seen ads for it, but what is Shark Week about?

Shark week is a series of documentaries on sharks. It is very educational,
and explains safety when and where sharks may be present.
We watched the movie "Jaws" last night.

Goli is just vinegar gummy bears. GOLO is the one specifically for weight loss, and is advertised on the tv.  Crying or Very sad
My fault, and Tina was misinformed. The apple cider is still good though.
It does help, and doesn't have bad chemicals in it. So they say! hahaha Razz

We get programming from the USA, but not your commercials. That is why I may sometimes be asking a question which seems silly. I have seen a couple of ads about shark week and thought they were silly.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I grilled chicken thighs on the gas grill. I trim a lot of the fat off and start them in a foil pie plate, skin side down, to render the excess fat and crisp up the skin. Then I finish them on the hot grates without any flare-ups or burning.

Dane had a little baked potato and I had the leftover vegetable spaghetti from last night.

I made enough lima beans to have it mixed with the leftover corn and it'll be succotash ~ one of my favorites (especially if I have some potato to spoon it on top of!).

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_12_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had corn that Maria cooked in the wok that she cut off the first pick cobs. First pick is ok, but a little on the starchy side.
She added feta cheese and a hint of garlic, and cherry tomatoes.
Then, she heated up fried rice she bought made at the store.
We had shark shaped cookies for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I made a NY strip steak on my grill, a bunch of mushrooms and onions (Burned them) and some small roasted potatoes. Definitely not picture worthy! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:I made a NY strip steak on my grill, a bunch of mushrooms and onions (Burned them) and some small roasted potatoes. Definitely not picture worthy! LOL

Haaa... Lore, anything you burn, just pass it over to Jimmy here.
I love burnt hot dogs, onions, toast, and pancakes. I will eat chicken if it's burnt also.
Thank you for reminding me, that we have mushrooms to cook.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, is Ms. Tina still at Uncle's?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy, is Ms. Tina still at Uncle's?

Today she is. Every 3 days basically, she does the food shopping
for him and his 24 / 7 live in care giver. He is 99 now, and has all his marbles.
He makes the checks, and pays the bills; everything in order, and balanced to the penny.
He is more alert than I am. hahahahaha. Still though, poor Tina is exhausted after all she does.
He is an hour away from here, but Tina gets a chance to shop in stores that we don't have here in the mostly rural places that roll up the roads and close the doors at 7:00 PM.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight salmon for DD, and cod for us.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane painted neighbor Darlene's bedrooms today (he's really good at painting walls!) and I was helping Lyn empty her kitchen because they're going to start her remodel tomorrow.

So I planned a supper that could be cooked and kept warm. Dane didn't get done until 5:00 (our usual meal time) so I ended up eating at 5:30 and he ate when he got done with a hot shower and a couple drinks....

Ham steak, boiled potatoes (I know I shouldn't have ~ but I DID!), succotash spooned on top and carrots.

Not bad for a colorful supper.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_13_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Chicken leg, Brussels sprouts (one of my favs) and a couple of cream cheese stuffed jalapeños to add spice."

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_13_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Instead of cod today, we had big portabella mushrooms, baked in the toaster oven with a drizzle of olive oil and pepper.
DD was baking more shark cookies for her work tomorrow, and she had the kitchen in a tizzy.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had to pick neighbor Jim up at the airport after his trip to his hometown of Pittsburgh.

I suggested we go to our closest country club and we ended up at one of the nicest (not far) for him to treat us with the twin lobster tail special this evening. Dane ended up having lamb chops.

It was a nice treat ~ he likes to take us out for meals every once in a while because he comes here for dinners of things like kielbasa and cabbage or pot roast. I guess twin lobster tails is a fair exchange. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cod fish today. A lot of bones unfortunately.
Especially in the thinner cuts. July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 Fish10

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had salmon, buttered noodles, garbanzo/spinach salad. I air-fried my salmon, it came out perfect, crispy skin ( I like the skin, so everybody gave the skin to me), juicy meat, as for noodles, I boiled spaghetti, and added some butter when they were still hot. it was a good dinner meal, we all enjoyed it

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 5d4a5a10
July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 328b2d10

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I stopped at a local Asian/carribean Market in my neighbourhood and picked up some Jerk Chicken for lunch, that was a big portion, so no cooking for supper. Market has interesting yummy takeout for lunch. They make one thing only, Tuesdays it's Jerk Chicken, and Saturday it's Roti. (Don't know what the other days' feature is. They are ready for takeout at 11, sell until sold out, and that's it. They seem to have a loyal following.

Their kitchen is at the back of this small space, tiny, tight space, I saw three large slow cooker type containers and bowls and things stacked against the wall pretty well to the ceiling. It reminds me of places that I saw in Mexico years ago. I have no idea if the health department approves it, but I ate, and I'm still alive today.

The reason I mentioned roti is because my nephew (who bought my mom's house) loves roti which he learned to love when he lived in Trinidad. He is renovating mom's/his house and I'm going to see the progress on Saturday. So, I'll bring him lunch!

bethk

bethk
Admin

In my never ending quest to rid the refrigerator drawers of 'eat-em-before-they're-bad' vegetables, tonight's supper is Haluski.......cabbage, onion, carrot (for color, don't you know), smoked sausage and some egg noodles.

I have enough leftover for another lunch, which Dane is happy about.

At least tonight I didn't overcook the cabbage.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_15_13

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:In my never ending quest to rid the refrigerator drawers of 'eat-em-before-they're-bad' vegetables, tonight's supper is Haluski.......cabbage, onion, carrot (for color, don't you know), smoked sausage and some egg noodles.

I have enough leftover for another lunch, which Dane is happy about.

At least tonight I didn't overcook the cabbage.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 4 07_15_13

Thanks for the idea, tomorrow I'm going to cook some for my MiL, cabbage/carrots/spaghetti noodles and her leftover salmon. As for me... I'm going to cook my homestyle tofu and I'm not sure if she'd enjoy eating it, I know Dirk likes it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum