Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April Breakfast/Lunch meals.....

+2
bethk
Barbara101
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:02 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Straw%20scones6

Strawberry scones..

2April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Scone%20collage

3April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

did you put in basil or mint, Barb? Those look really tasty. Were your strawberries from Plant City, FL? I got some this week and Tori has eaten them one right after the other....really good.

You just reminded me of the strawberry banana muffins I made.....got to do those again!

4April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

It is basil.lol There is rhubarb too.

i bought these a t a Upick it farm by my house. I posted some pics somewhere lol...

They have peas now.

They get cleaned out of strawberrys fast.I will go next week.Store biught are really tasteless they are the worst.
If I am not sick of them I will get the Plant City ones..

I will make a sauce and jam and chop some and freeze for Ice cream and smoothies.Pie ..bought some jello and heavy  cream  ha....

5April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby asked, "She's so cute! I remember her making scones with you and picking out her favorite apple rose. What a doll. What's her name again?

Beth, do you knead your scones before patting or rolling them into a shape? How thick do you make them? And one more thing: Do you cook yours touching or do you separate them? I've been collecting recipes -- your basic one included -- for not only sweet ones but savory ones, too. Got ready to make some the other day and the darn oven conked out again. But I have some time now to ask you some questions, as I know you make them often."

Her name is Tori (short for Victoria)....she loves making scones with her Grandma! (such a smart girl...LOL) I usually just use my Cream Biscuit Recipe with some added sugar for scones, especially with Tori. She like to make Cinnamon Sugar ones best. So, with that dough (since it's just 2 1/4 c. White Lily Self Rising Flour, 1/4 c. sugar, 1 c. Heavy Whipping Cream & 2 Tbsp. melted butter ~ I adjust and change at will!) I usually just mix it in the bowl and then knead a couple times just to be sure it's all combined and no huge pockets of flour. Then I'll pat out into a 1 1/2" thick round and cut into wedges. I put them on a parchment lined sheet pan separated so the edges get crispy. They usually get a brush of cream and a healthy sprinkle of sugar (the big crystal kind you use for sugar cookies is the best for a great crunch).

I could only find one pic in my photobucket album. I know I've taken more. Oh, well ~

Lemon (dried) Cranberry Scones w/lemon glaze:

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Scones

6April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tori made her own breakfast this morning.....scrambled eggs with bacon & cheese, an extra piece of bacon on the side and toast with honey....oh, and hot chocolate with whipped cream! The breakfast of champions, for sure!!!

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160403_091103945

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160403_091202028_HDR

7April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Quiche-lorraine-586x586

Cute lol..

Quiche Lorraine aka Barbs got to much time on her hands cheers

8April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That is one lovely egg pie, Barb!

((such a pity it has cheese in it ~ Hahahahahaha!))

9April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to a place called 'PDQ' for lunch ~ just about all chicken.

3 Pc. Chicken finger lunch w/blueberry coleslaw, zucchini fries on the side:

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160403_125057356

This morning Tori made a layered jello, red & orange. For dessert she cut the jello into little rounds with a small biscuit cutter and gave it a shot of ReddiWip.

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160403_133927896

10April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:36 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

That little Tori is cute the chef! She takes after grammy!!!

11April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh nice

Blueberry slaw??

12April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Oh nice

Blueberry slaw??

Yes, apparently a 'signature' item. It was a slaw with a poppyseed dressing and fresh blueberries mixed in.

13April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:52 pm

NormM

NormM

I made some chicken soup for lunch with leftover chicken. Some left over Old Chicago pizza will probably be calling my name before supper time.

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... DSCN3417_zpsn9btagmn

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

14April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:40 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks, Beth, for the scone info.  I was leaning toward separating them to bake for that exact same reason -- crispy edges.  Pic was nice, too.  

I have some things picked out for the savory ones, too -- Kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes and some gorgonzola, though I know you can do without the cheese.  

Had to go to the doctor yesterday -- it's a HUGE hospital/clinic where my pulmonary hypertension doc is and where I enter the place is like a small mall.  On my way out after my labs and my doc appointment, I sat down to listen to a man playing the baby grand piano in there and bought an apple cinnamon scone (only two left of that one "flavor," as it was the end of the day) at this coffee place we usually stop at along with a mocha cappuccino.  Just love listening to someone playing the piano, though I probably wouldn't have stopped if no scones were available.  They don't make them in-house but they sure are good.  If Brian is with me, I usually let him pick out the scones we have.  He's into them, too, lately...

15April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... 12963863_599660463524947_7547126560492653646_n

avocado mash,poached eggs.

16April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good! I had a blob of yogurt in a small bowl.....((sigh ~~ LAZY))

Off for the day in Orlando. Don't know if we'll be back before supper or not. If not, Mr. Amazing will just have to make do with leftovers he can recognize in the refrigerator. He'll survive! LOL

17April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I finally made scones for breakfast this morning. Hurray -- the oven worked! I made a recipe with butter in it (wanted to try them with cut in butter first) but after I added the liquid, I did as you suggested and waited about 5 minutes for the dough to "settle," for lack of a better word. I did end up adding another tablespoon of heavy cream as the mix looked a little too dry. It was the right decision, thanks to you.

The resulting scones were good and bad -- they were moist, kind of crunchy on the outside, beautiful, and tasted delicious. The bad part was I was making brown sugar, toasted walnut and raisin scones (my own concoction). I should have added the walnuts and raisins with the cream and totally forgot to add them! I even had them out as I assembled my mise en place first, but I didn't even think of them until I was cutting the scones prior to baking. But I brushed them with some heavy cream and dusted them with some sugar (table sugar was all I had) and they tasted delicious. We both loved 'em! I served some apricot preserves with them but they were so good, I ate my first one plain.

Next, I'm going to try them without the butter tomorrow. And I already have the walnuts toasted and the golden raisins measured so guess what I'm adding to them?!

At any rate, thanks for your tips and your guidance.

18April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:38 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby, when you are going to make the kind with butter....one great hint.

Use a stick of frozen butter and grate the butter on a box grater right on top of the flour. It then just needs to be 'finger fluffed' into the flour (to coat the little bits) and is ready to be mixed with the buttermilk or cream. So much easier and less mess than cutting in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives.

19April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Crybaby, when you are going to make the kind with butter....one great hint.

Use a stick of frozen butter and grate the butter on a box grater right on top of the flour.  It then just needs to be 'finger fluffed' into the flour (to coat the little bits) and is ready to be mixed with the buttermilk or cream.  So much easier and less mess than cutting in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives.

Thanks. I do remember (now, of course) you saying that. Standing up for so long (I should've sat down at the table but I stood at the island) was tough but cutting in that butter really took a while. I was whipped afterward, though the result was delicious. Brian likes to grate so he will love that idea and will probably volunteer to be my chief grater!

I do want to try the kind like you make, though, without lots of butter. I'm using recipes that convert my AP flour to self-rising but I have a converter so I can convert any recipes using self-rising. I hate to purchase 5 lbs. of it as I don't do that much baking. I hope to change that soon, though, when I buy a new oven. And Brian wants me to price the KitchenAid standup mixers at the naval base he shops at to see if there's a big discount. Always wanted one of those but now that I run out of steam so fast, seems like it would be a smart purchase for us. Plus, he's starting to make brownies and stuff from a mix so I think he might get more interested in baking if I get one of those bad boys!

Thanks so much, Beth, for your scone coaching! It really helped me. I figured if Tory can do this, I can do this (big stupid complimentary grin!). Really. I knew to knead a couple of times and I liked your advice on thickness, too. Now I'm going to grate the frozen butter if used. You're a doll, Beth.

20April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday Lyn had her final check-up on her knee replacement (all went well and she's healed just fine). Her other knee gets fixed in August.

So, since we were in the Orlando area we decided to celebrate with lunch out. Actually, we ALWAYS go out to lunch given half a chance but we did find some place new. We drove a short distance to Winter Park, FL and went to an 'artsy-fartsy' restaurant. The food was excellent.

We shared a gaspachio soup lunch ((I KNOW, I don't know how to spell.....but it was a cold vegetable soup.....) Lyn had a fried chicken thigh sandwich with a side salad and I had what was listed as a 'spring salad'.....chicken ribbellets (was a couple shaped scoops of what I would have to refer to as a loose rabbit mouse), some spring veg (asparagus, carrots, morel mushrooms) and some microgreens and some sort of gastro-something bacony-tasty powder stuff. It was VERY tasty. And, since the place was called The Ravenous Pig we shared a dessert of 'Pig Tails'. What a hoot!

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_125948375_HDR

Appetizer soup:

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_114631028_HDR

Lyn's marinated and fried chicken thigh sandwich with salad:

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_120424859

My 'artsy-fartsy' spring salad:

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_120501722

And their 'signature' dessert: PIGS TAILS (like a churro with a chocolate/mocha sauce)

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_123540762_HDR

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... IMG_20160413_123636964_HDR

21April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

The one and only reason I would go there would' be to eat ..lol

22April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The food was really good....our waiter was a lot of fun. We like to go for lunch because #1, it's usually cheaper and #2, we can usually take longer without being stared at for sitting too long at a table they want to turn over. There were a lot of empty tables so we could take our time.

23April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beautiful salad greens, too. Everything looked delicious.

24April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:42 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... 1933862_998442380240959_5966450671091562143_n

Really like my new cheap waffle maker..

25April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Empty Re: April Breakfast/Lunch meals..... Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:31 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those turned out lovely. I have my original (wedding present) single round Sunbeam. After close to 50 years it's still working like it always did ~ of course, I've probably only used it a couple dozen times. Maybe if I had a larger surface I'd make waffles more often. As it is, it's just for when I'm the one who's hungry for them and then I only make one or maybe two.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum