Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

"Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Yep! It's Jingle Bells again.

The kids will be here with us. Same as Thanksgiving.
Food will be plenty...
Turkey
Ham
Lasagna
Kielbasi ( fresh and smoked )
Mashed potatoes / sweet potatoes
Potato Salad ( Tina has to have that with her ham ) Rolling Eyes
Sausage and Meatballs....

All Home made cookies... Tinas' and DD's and DIL's.... All the girls are baking. Very Happy

Plus veggies and salads.

2 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 am

Barbara101

avatar
I am thrilled Beyond measure I do not have to do that..

I am going to buy myself a standing rib roast.Small but mighty..A great bottle of red wine..And have no one to bother me or get drunk or push me to do anything "I" do not want to do...

3 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:56 am

cookingirl

avatar
For Christmas Eve, I am going over to my cousin's house. He has an "Open house" for his family, his wife's family and just a few close friends. Close to 50 people!! Yes, that is correct!!! There are 4 cousins, spouses, they all have 4 kids, plus their partners/friends--and that is just my side of the family. When you add in his wife's side of the family--it adds up to somewhere between 40-50 people.
lots of homemade food...eggplant parm, meatballs, ham, salad, apples, chicken parm, cookies..brownies, and of course the alcoholic beverages...

It is usually a late night, especially since one cousin and her kids do not get there until around 11-midnight....

Christmas Morning: Up early for Church. I am an usher. I was also asked to give out Communion that morning. I am a Eucharist Minister in this Church.

Christmas Day: Off to my best friend's house for Christmas Dinner..It will be Italian..that is all I know. All adults. Just 5 of us.. a quiet day.
I do not know what to expect since I never had a holiday with them.

I had invitations to 2 other cousin's but, My friend really wanted me to be there with them this year. I think it will be her brother's last Christmas where he will be able to get out of the nursing home. He has a disease that is similar to Lou Gehrigs Disease. He asked my friend to cook all his favorite foods..so It will be semisweet....But they are all such nice people....I could not offend my friend when she asked me for the second time, saying; "I would be honored if you would spend Christmas with me and my family"....I could not turn them down....

4 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
cookingirl wrote:For Christmas Eve, I am going over to my cousin's house. He has an "Open house" for his family, his wife's family and just a few close friends. Close to 50 people!! Yes, that is correct!!! There are 4 cousins, spouses, they all have 4 kids, plus their partners/friends--and that is just my side of the family. When you add in his wife's side of the family--it adds up to somewhere between 40-50 people.
lots of homemade food...eggplant parm, meatballs, ham, salad, apples, chicken parm, cookies..brownies, and of course the alcoholic beverages...

It is usually a late night, especially since one cousin and her kids do not get there until around 11-midnight....

Christmas Morning: Up early for Church. I am an usher. I was also asked to give out Communion that morning. I am a Eucharist Minister in this Church.

Christmas Day:  Off to my best friend's house for Christmas Dinner..It will be Italian..that is all I know. All adults. Just 5 of us.. a quiet day.
I do not know what to expect since I never had a holiday with them.

I had invitations to 2 other cousin's but, My friend really wanted me to be there with them this year. I think it will be her brother's last Christmas where he will be able to get out of the nursing home. He has a disease that is similar to Lou Gehrigs Disease. He asked my friend to cook all his favorite foods..so It will be semisweet....But they are all such nice people....I could not offend my friend when she asked me for the second time, saying; "I would be honored if you would spend Christmas with me and my family"....I could not turn them down....

Wow cookingirl, you will have a great time , I'm sure. Sounds like a lot of great food on Christmas Eve, and Christmas day at your Best friends will be an honor, I'm sure! Great... Have a swell time.

5 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Barbara101 wrote:I am thrilled Beyond measure I do not have to do that..

I am going to buy myself a standing rib roast.Small but mighty..A great bottle of red wine..And have no one to bother me or get drunk or push me to do anything "I" do not want to do...

Sounds like a great meal and peaceful day Barb. It's like I said to Tina,"When are we just gonna sit down to a holiday dinner and not have to cook a stitch?" .... She said,"Well the kids have no room !" So I said, that's OK.. We can do take out!" ... "Drive to their house with our containers, and take what we want and bring it home!" Haaaaaa

6 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Barbara101

avatar
I love having to do nothing

7 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:13 am

Niagara Visitor


We don't do turkey, so it's going to be chicken wings, shrimp, Beef rouladen, oven roasted potatoes, veggies and dip, quinoa salad, Asian vegetable salad, rabbit and German "studel"; (It's a pasta, not sweet.); Cheesecake for dessert.

And, the occasional glass of wine or beer.

8 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:54 pm

NormM

avatar
We didn't have a traditional dinner for Christmas when I was a kid. Not that I remember anyway but I have planned for this year to have a rib roast, popovers, scalloped potatoes, salad, a shrimp appetizer and ice cream with a cherry topping.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Niagara Visitor


There will be 13 of us, two vegetarians, two gluten free, niece is bringing the rabbit. Rabbit has been served at many family dinners here! I am also making a cheese, spinach terrine. It sounds very similar to spanakopita without the filo!

10 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Well,..... Christmas day dinner is completed, and we all pushed away from the table full.
The sad part, was Tina was sick. She tried preparing, but her legs gave out to weakness.
DD came, and between DD and I, we took up the slack. The problem, was Tinas uncle from West Orange, and hour away, was coming to celebrate with us. At a dinner time set at 2:00 pm.
Only because he has to be home before driving in the dark....
The night before on the Eve. We had a massive amount of food. Mainly called, the feast of seven fishes.

That was a filling meal, and that was over at around 10:00 pm.

Christmas morning, I had the turkey stuffed and in the oven at 7:45.
Thank goodness I was able to get the hood exhaust fan motor installed and running just in time for the heavy cooking. We had the two ovens on all day, and the 6 cooktop burners in operation.

We kept Tina isolated by serving her in the living room. She didn't want her uncle to be subjected to her germs, as much as possible. Plus anyone else, even though we were all recently sick with the same colds.
Uncle left at 4:00 and was home safe at 5:15.

One good thing, is there are plenty of leftovers to feed whomever is hungry.

DD cleaned up everything, and put everything in containers, and has them stowed between the three refrigerators. God love her, she even washed all the plates and pots and dishes, and put everything away. She even spot cleaned the cooktop on the stove. Tomorrow , the cleaning woman will be here to scrub the floors; vacuum, and clean everything else, so that's great. Tina can relax. And so can I.

11 Re: "Christmas Plans and Meals" 2015 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:36 pm

cookingirl

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
The sad part, was Tina was sick. She tried preparing, but her legs gave out to weakness.
DD came, and between DD and I, we took up the slack. The problem, was Tinas uncle from West Orange, and hour away, was coming to celebrate with us. At a dinner time set at 2:00 pm.
Only because he has to be home before driving in the dark....
The night before on the Eve. We had a massive amount of food. Mainly called, the feast of seven fishes.

That was a filling meal, and that was over at around 10:00 pm.

Christmas morning, I had the turkey stuffed and in the oven at 7:45.
Thank goodness I was able to get the hood exhaust fan motor installed and running just in time for the heavy cooking. We had the two ovens on all day, and the 6 cooktop burners in operation.

We kept Tina isolated by serving her in the living room. She didn't want her uncle to be subjected to her germs, as much as possible. Plus anyone else, even though we were all recently sick with the same colds.
Uncle left at 4:00 and was home safe at 5:15.

One good thing, is there are plenty of leftovers to feed whomever is hungry.

DD cleaned up everything, and put everything in containers, and has them stowed between the three refrigerators. God love her, she even washed all the plates and pots and dishes, and put everything away. She even spot cleaned the cooktop on the stove. Tomorrow , the cleaning woman will be here to scrub the floors; vacuum, and clean everything else, so that's great. Tina can relax. And so can I.


Thank God Maria was there to help you..
Tina needs to take care of herself!!

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum