Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens!

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

bethk

bethk
Admin

You're welcome, Imelda.

Somehow the sauteed cabbage really hits the spot to bring a dish together. (and it's easy!!) LOL

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I found a burger in my freezer. Have no idea how long it’s been in there. But I fried it up ,also fried up some mushrooms including some chanterelles that I found in the grocery store. Then I cooked some lentils. Added yellow pepper, a lot of parsley, an avocado, some oil, juice of a lemon, lots of salt and pepper.
The mysterious burger was delicious!"

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_15_14

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, I fried peppers and eggs. I topped it with pieces of provolone cheese. Tina didn't want it, but she asked me to make a batch of fried Italian meatballs.
She had to see the Dr. today for a pain in the chest. Last week she had a cardiogram, ant a nuclear stress test, and all was good.
I told her it was pleurisy and the Dr. said I was correct in my diagnosis.
She is on prednisolone and rest. It's an infection of the pleural sack around the lungs.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was the super inexpensive Walmart $4.50 Rotisserie Chicken.

HE eats the legs & thighs and I eat the wings with a bit of the breast cut with it. The rest of the breast meat will get turned into chicken salad for two or more lunches along with some grapes and lots of chopped celery.

I steamed some asparagus and had panko coated air fried zucchini along side.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_16_14

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked homestyle tofu with veggies and deep fried some shrimp rolls, everybody enjoyed the meal. I felt like having dinner in my hometown.

I flash-fried tofu, set aside, then I sauteed some minced garlic, when it browned I added some ground pork, homegrown carrots, and Taiwan Napa cabbage, some fish sauce, sesame oil, salt and blackpepper, I thickened it with some cornstarch, before I turned off the heat, I added some shrimps. My MiL tried one piece of tofu, and no complain from her, she ate some of the veggies and some shrimp rolls ( I bought them from a friend of mine )

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 20f77011

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 D12adb10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll bet your mother-in-law is thrilled to have someone cooking for all of you and she's probably enjoying the new variety in meals. I know, from experience, I don't cook as much variety as I did when I was younger, sticking to the 'same-old ~ same-old' because it's easy and I have everything in the pantry.

You're so sweet to be there to help care for her.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I looked in the freezer I decided it was time for a beef supper.

I thawed a small ribeye after checking the forecast and seeing there wasn't rain in our near future.

So, a charcoal grilled ribeye, baked sweet potato & green beans with Penzey seasoning sprinkled on top.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_17_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.......

When I ran the dishwasher after supper last night I noticed water coming from under it.....again.  I had seen water on the floor one other time but just figured it was because I had opened the door during the cycle.  But last night I slid a paper towel under the dishwasher and it wicked out lots of water.

So, this morning I asked Dane to look at it.  

He dismantled the thing and when he pulled it out from under the countertop there was water pooled on the tile and it had been leaking for quite a while ~ it had turned to rust on the floor!  So, upon further inspection he saw there was a leak between the motor and the pump and no way to 'fix' it.

So, after a kitchen clean up and taking the machine out to the garage, we went off to Lowe's to look at Bosch dishwashers.  I was sure that was the brand I wanted.  I didn't care for my inexpensive Kitchenaid since I bought it but it worked so you put up with it.  I bought it right after we bought the house so it was just about this time in 2013 ~ so I guess 8 years isn't such a 'terrible' dishwasher, just not the 'lifetime' I always seemed to get in earlier years.

Well, Lowe's carries the Bosch 800 Series I wanted.  But it's out of stock.  MAYBE available late August or mid-September......Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!

Now, I'm not a Princess, exactly, but I DON'T LIKE WASHING DISHES!

So, I asked what they had that might be close in cycles.  They said they had Samsung (NO, thank-you!) and they had Kitchenaid.

So, my new Kitchenaid dishwasher will be delivered tomorrow.

Dane will install it and all will be right with my world.

Here's a link to the one I will get: https://www.lowes.com/pd/KitchenAid-44-Decibel-Filtration-Built-In-Dishwasher-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-in-Actual-23-88-in-ENERGY-STAR/1001880830

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.......

When I ran the dishwasher after supper last night I noticed water coming from under it.....again.  I had seen water on the floor one other time but just figured it was because I had opened the door during the cycle.  But last night I slid a paper towel under the dishwasher and it wicked out lots of water.

So, this morning I asked Dane to look at it.  

He dismantled the thing and when he pulled it out from under the countertop there was water pooled on the tile and it had been leaking for quite a while ~ it had turned to rust on the floor!  So, upon further inspection he saw there was a leak between the motor and the pump and no way to 'fix' it.

So, after a kitchen clean up and taking the machine out to the garage, we went off to Lowe's to look at Bosch dishwashers.  I was sure that was the brand I wanted.  I didn't care for my inexpensive Kitchenaid since I bought it but it worked so you put up with it.  I bought it right after we bought the house so it was just about this time in 2013 ~ so I guess 8 years isn't such a 'terrible' dishwasher, just not the 'lifetime' I always seemed to get in earlier years.

Well, Lowe's carries the Bosch 800 Series I wanted.  But it's out of stock.  MAYBE available late August or mid-September......Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!

Now, I'm not a Princess, exactly, but I DON'T LIKE WASHING DISHES!

So, I asked what they had that might be close in cycles.  They said they had Samsung (NO, thank-you!) and they had Kitchenaid.

So, my new Kitchenaid dishwasher will be delivered tomorrow.

Dane will install it and all will be right with my world.

Here's a link to the one I will get:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/KitchenAid-44-Decibel-Filtration-Built-In-Dishwasher-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-in-Actual-23-88-in-ENERGY-STAR/1001880830

Ouch, that's a lot money for a dishwasher. I like washing dishes, usually while I'm doing it, my mind wanders around, I find it's soothing, we have a window right on top of the sink, I can look at the backyard, the birds, plants. I still use the dishwasher once in a week, to avoid mold built up there. My MiL dishwasher is an old one, so far it's still working good, hopefully it lasts forever. Enjoy your new toy Beth

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I'll bet your mother-in-law is thrilled to have someone cooking for all of you and she's probably enjoying the new variety in meals.  I know, from experience, I don't cook as much variety as I did when I was younger, sticking to the 'same-old ~ same-old' because it's easy and I have everything in the pantry.

You're so sweet to be there to help care for her.

Yes, she really appreciates it, she said she owed me a big thank you. I said no big deal,  I usually cook for 2, now I cook for 3 persons, it does not make a big difference, I enjoy cooking.

Today D is going to BBQ ribs, I thought I bought a pack of back ribs, it turned out they are bone in country style ribs with lot of meat, so we'll see how they turn out, I have never cooked them on the grill. I marinated them with dry rub ( brown sugar, paprika powder, onion/garlic powder, salt and blackpepper.  

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:When I looked in the freezer I decided it was time for a beef supper.

I thawed a small ribeye after checking the forecast and seeing there wasn't rain in our near future.

So, a charcoal grilled ribeye, baked sweet potato & green beans with Penzey seasoning sprinkled on top.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_17_12

Beautiful meal.. the steak was perfectly cooked

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking ~ probably the thought of then having to do dishes.....LOL

So we went to the little place in Leesburg so Dane could have a Cuban Sandwich (pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles & mustard on Cuban bread, pressed in a panini griddle) and I had the empanadas.

Now I'm so full I'm ready to fall asleep in my chair.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, Hasselback potato, sprouts and carrots and salmon with a tartar sauce. Yumm. Haven’t had fish for a few days."

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_18_11

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I made a list of everything I made so far this year that I thought Charlie liked and asked him to pick something he would want to make again. He picked a Philly Cheesesteak casserole and an appetizer made with kicked up Crab Rangoon filling and put in egg roll wrappers. They don't go together but we will probably have one tomorrow.July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 20210711
July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 20210712

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, those dishes do, indeed, look like 'Charlie Favorites' ~ ~ of course, I think just about anything you cook could be put into that list!

Lore ~ you're my inspiration for tonight's supper. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to fix and then I went over the last few pages here and 'FISH' was decided!

I watched the American Test Kitchen marathon this weekend and caught an episode on 'Blistered Green Beans', similar to the Chinese Fried Green Beans at an American-Chinese restaurant. But these were not deep fried, so that was a plus! When I made green beans for supper the other night I just cooked the entire package (it was a lot of beans!) and pulled half out of the simmering water when they were just blanched. I let them dry a bit and then wrapped them in a couple layers of paper towels and put them in a plastic deli container in the refrigerator. I just took them out and put them on dry towels to allow them to warm to room temperature and dry the moisture off so they don't sputter and spatter when I blister them in a little oil in a non-stick pan.

I don't know that Dane will enjoy the crispy toasted panko topping but, so be it, he'll eat them anyway. LOL

And since the beans reminded me of the Chinese beans I decided to make some teriyaki sauce to drizzle on my fish (Dane can decide if he wants it on his salmon or not when we're at the table) and I made some rice (which is cooling in the refrigerator now) that will become a sort of 'fried rice' with the addition of vegetables.

So, THANKS LORE !!!

You gave me the idea!

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My dishwasher was delivered promptly this morning ~ I was shocked how soon they got here.

Dane's spent most of the day installing it.....

He thought it was all done, we did a test cycle and it worked fine so he pushed it into the cabinet space and secured it to the wood.

Then I went to open the silverware drawer (at a right angle to the dishwasher) and the drawer hit the handle on the dishwasher and wouldn't open.

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I hated to even tell him ~ but he hadn't put his tools away and there's no time like the present!

He's got some modifications to make and then it'll be fine.

((I hope ~ ~ sigh))

Cookin Lore

I'm always happy if I inspire someone. It doesn't happen too often. For tonight I've got some ribs in the oven. Don't know yet what I'll make to go along. But, I do have a lot of parsley and maybe some tabbouleh would be good. Or a rice of some kind.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Teriyaki Grouper with 'fried' rice and blistered green beans was really good.  Dane even put some of the teriyaki sauce on his salmon.  I do think I prefer my grouper with homemade tartare sauce, but it was good with a drizzle of the soy based sauce for a change.

The Teriyaki Sauce recipe was 1/2 c. Dark Soy (I used Black Soy, thicker & sweeter than La Choy), 1/2 c. Sake, 2 T. Mirin, 1 T. White Sugar ~ heat to dissolve sugar.  I boiled it down to about half to have a thicker sauce.  I have leftovers stashed in a 'squirt bottle' in the refrigerator.

The blistered green beans were excellent!  I'll definitely be making them again.  They are topped with some crushed panko browned in a bit of oil & butter (my addition for flavor) and simply seasoned with some kosher salt.  The beans weren't overcooked and soft but still had some 'toothsome' bite to them.  I think on the TV program they blanched the damp (washed) beans in a bowl in the microwave for about 6 minutes, then dried as much as they could, and browned in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat without moving for about 4-5 minutes, then turned to get more of the 'char' or browning.  The buttery panko crumbs were just enough to add to the nuttiness of the browned beans.  Next time I think I'll let the beans get a little brown-er, with more char.  It didn't taste burned, just kind of nutty.

My 'fried' rice is just a good amount of chopped onion, celery & carrots cooked in a bit of oil/butter in a skillet until tender crisp.  Then I stir in the cooled rice (works great with leftover Chinese take-out rice) and then some thawed baby peas added at the end just so they heat through.  Tonight I added a bit of hot chili sesame oil to the rice as well as just a bit of soy sauce.  HE thought it was pretty good.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_19_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I glanced out in the courtyard a little while ago and saw this guy walking around.

I startled him when I opened the patio door and he flew up to the wall between our house and the neighbors.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_19_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I glanced out in the courtyard a little while ago and saw this guy walking around.

I startled him when I opened the patio door and he flew up to the wall between our house and the neighbors.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_19_13
Watch he doesn't eat the plants. If he does, then catch him, and cook him.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our little friend returned this evening ~ about the same time as last night......

He must like us!

(or we have bugs he's checking out..........)

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_20_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was grilled burger night. Dane had his with cheese & on a bun, I had mine with a grilled onion plank. I sauteed some zucchini & onion and reheated leftover green beans with a crisped slice of bacon and just a bit of slivered onions. Made a salad of cucumber, onion, tomatoes & carrot ~ drizzled in some Italian salad dressing that usually sits in the refrigerator door.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_20_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Chicken on skewers and couscous with tomato, parsley, oil, spices. Yumm!"

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 5 07_20_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made us a tomato salad. I ate mine with wads of torn bread. This morning, she made a pot of split pea soup. Diced small potatoes, carrots, and ham.
We also picked on peel and eat shrimp.
Shark cookies for dessert. Very Happy

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made us a tomato salad. I ate mine with wads of torn bread. This morning, she made a pot of split pea soup. Diced small potatoes, carrots, and ham.
We also picked on peel and eat shrimp.
Shark cookies for dessert. Very Happy  

Jimmy, do you have the picture of shark cookies, I'm curious how it looks like

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum