Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens!

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

NormM

NormM

I have been trying to lose weight for three or four years.  I couldn't take any off until I got up to 220.  Then I decided the best way to lose weight was hunger. I stopped eating breakfast most days and when I did it was instead of lunch.  Eating less eventually got me to get full with less food and gradually it has come off.  The most I have lost is 50 lbs. but what I have managed to keep off for all of this year so far is  a little over 40 pounds.

I thought I could wear my fat clothes without any problem. I was hoping to wear them out first, but someone took a picture of me and Charlie at a restaurant on fathers day and the shirt was so big I looked like Jabba the Hut so I have been buying a few new clothes.  My pants waist size is a loose 36 now. It was a little snug at 40.  I think my shirt neck size has gone down a couple of inches.

bethk, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

My husband wears a 38. Doesn't seem interested in losing and weight.
High protein, low carbs seems to work
I feel pretty sick today from chemo. Gut pain and nausea. I have a session today and then have another 3 day round in 21 days. I am going to ask about some medicine I can take for the symptoms.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So sorry you're feeling poorly, Bugs. You've been in prayers and thoughts.

I hope you can get something to help with the symptoms for your treatment.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I made my shrimp on skewers, decided that instead of making fried rice, I turned it into a rice salad.  I had a half an avocado, a couple of radishes that had seen better days, some pea pods, parsley, red and yellow peppers, and think it turned out really great.  Oh, and feta.  

Also decided that my pictures look better on a white plate than the red I generally use!
Sending a picture, Beth!  Thanks.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_07_10

I've been having my mouth watering for your fish / salad combo ever since you posted the pic, Lore!

So, tonight I'm going to saute some grouper for me and salmon for him ~ and have that along side a big Greek inspired salad.

I boiled some garbanzo beans this morning (another thanks to you, Lore!) and put them in the refrigerator to cool. I've got the garbanzos mixed with some chopped celery, cucumber, onion, quartered grape tomatoes and halved kalamata olives. I made a dressing of lemon juice & equal part olive oil with a pinch of salt & pepper and some Greek oregano with just the tiniest bit of honey to round out the flavors. I poured some of the dressing on the garbanzo mixture and at supper time I'll dress some spring mix lettuces with the same dressing and then spoon the hearty mixture on top. Dane's salad will get a sprinkling of a bit of feta cheese.

It looks like I'll have more than enough for the two of us so I might have enough leftover to have for a lunch tomorrow or the day after.

Cookin Lore

Sorry to hear/read that also. Chemo is a bugger, I hope also you can get something to ease the side effects.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I made my shrimp on skewers, decided that instead of making fried rice, I turned it into a rice salad.  I had a half an avocado, a couple of radishes that had seen better days, some pea pods, parsley, red and yellow peppers, and think it turned out really great.  Oh, and feta.  

Also decided that my pictures look better on a white plate than the red I generally use!
Sending a picture, Beth!  Thanks.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_07_10

I've been having my mouth watering for your fish / salad combo ever since you posted the pic, Lore!

So, tonight I'm going to saute some grouper for me and salmon for him ~ and have that along side a big Greek inspired salad.

I boiled some garbanzo beans this morning (another thanks to you, Lore!) and put them in the refrigerator to cool.  I've got the garbanzos mixed with some chopped celery, cucumber, onion, quartered grape tomatoes and halved kalamata olives.  I made a dressing of lemon juice & equal part olive oil with a pinch of salt & pepper and some Greek oregano with just the tiniest bit of honey to round out the flavors.  I poured some of the dressing on the garbanzo mixture and at supper time I'll dress some spring mix lettuces with the same dressing and then spoon the hearty mixture on top.  Dane's salad will get a sprinkling of a bit of feta cheese.

It looks like I'll have more than enough for the two of us so I might have enough leftover to have for a lunch tomorrow or the day after.

Well, that's nice to read that I inspired you. I chat on a small chatline of people I have known for 20+ years through the B&B biz. One of the things we talk about is "what's cooking today" One of our members said that my meals are unimaginative and repetitive!

I went to the grocery store today, drove for the first time since breaking my ankle. I am out of the big boot, and just using a brace now. I looked at the seafood department, didn't buy any fish 'cause fishing son gave me some bass last weekend. But, the store had fresh Lake Erie perch..................$23./pound. I did not buy any.

I bought some pork ribs today, haven't had any for a very long time, think I will make them for tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

Well, that's nice to read that I inspired you.  I chat on a small chatline of people I have known for 20+ years through the B&B biz.  One of the things we talk about is "what's cooking today"  One of our members said that my meals are unimaginative and repetitive!

I hope you 'thanked' your fellow member for their thoughtful opinion!

Good grief ~ that's certainly not very cordial.

I think your meals are creative and plated in a very appetizing manner.

As someone who makes 'brown & boring' meals on a regular basis, I'm not going to be the one to throw stones at anyone.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! At least it was agreed by both of us that we'd enjoy the meal again.

He does enjoy his salmon! And, surprisingly, he has liked the garbanzo beans every way I've fixed them.

I'm so glad you gave me a clue on how to cook them, Lore, because I've not been a fan of the canned ones. The ones I cooked today were soaked overnight ~ about half a cup or so. Then I rinsed them well and just added water and brought them to a boil, then a simmer. After 30 minutes they were pretty tender so I added salt for flavor at that time and let them cook another 10 or 15 minutes. I let them sit to cool down somewhat and then drained them and put them in the refrigerator to cool completely.

They are really inexpensive and so tasty.....almost like a nutty flavor.

So, here's our plates that I prepped in the kitchen:

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_09_14

And here's a closer view of my plate with my grouper fingers cooked simply with a bit of olive oil/butter and seasoned with s&p.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_09_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

Well, that's nice to read that I inspired you.  I chat on a small chatline of people I have known for 20+ years through the B&B biz.  One of the things we talk about is "what's cooking today"  One of our members said that my meals are unimaginative and repetitive!

I hope you 'thanked' your fellow member for their thoughtful opinion!

Good grief ~ that's certainly not very cordial.

I think your meals are creative and plated in a very appetizing manner.  

As someone who makes 'brown & boring' meals on a regular basis, I'm not going to be the one to throw stones at anyone.....

I have never paid much attention to "plating" But I am aware that pictures in magazines and even on cooking sites are not neccesairily just the way something came out of the oven or frying pan. Many years ago, my recipe for rabbit was featured in a farm type magazine which was featuring domesticated rabbit. They sent a crew which including a food stylist. By the time they were finished with deciding how it should look, I surely did not want to eat it any more. They sprayed it with stuff to make it glisten.

By the Way. Apparently, statistically a family has about 20 meals which they rotate in their normal culinary lives. I think I have more.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Was Darch at the other old site? He always had artistically arranged food. I often wondered if any of his food was still hot by the time he took the picture. Also if he use tweezers to arrange it and what if he wasn't a very cook, just artistic.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Was Darch at the other old site? He always had artistically arranged food.  I often wondered if any of his food was still hot by the time he took the picture. Also if he use tweezers to arrange it and what if he wasn't a very cook, just artistic.

I'm not sure if he was on the cooking.com site or the next one with Rich the Mad Hunky guy.

I remember Archie posting pics of his sous vide cooker that he made with an aquarium heater, I think. And he did a lot of stuff with branding irons and amazing knife work.

He also grew vegetables on his patio with tomatoes to die for.

I'm still jealous.

LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Supper was a success!  At least it was agreed by both of us that we'd enjoy the meal again.

He does enjoy his salmon!  And, surprisingly, he has liked the garbanzo beans every way I've fixed them.  

I'm so glad you gave me a clue on how to cook them, Lore, because I've not been a fan of the canned ones.  The ones I cooked today were soaked overnight ~ about half a cup or so.  Then I rinsed them well and just added water and brought them to a boil, then a simmer.  After 30 minutes they were pretty tender so I added salt for flavor at that time and let them cook another 10 or 15 minutes.  I let them sit to cool down somewhat and then drained them and put them in the refrigerator to cool completely.

They are really inexpensive and so tasty.....almost like a nutty flavor.  

So, here's our plates that I prepped in the kitchen:

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_09_14

And here's a closer view of my plate with my grouper fingers cooked simply with a bit of olive oil/butter and seasoned with s&p.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_09_15

I'm going to Walmart later and will grab some garbanzo beans. I'll make garbanzo salad too

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I ran out of idea what to cook, last week was soup week, I boiled 3 and 1/2 lbs of chuck roast with lots of broth, divided 4 portions, then made 4 kind of soups, a couple of them I cooked using instant seasoning, 1 soup I made it lain, only with potatoes, carrots, some pasta, boiled beef. seasoned with nutmeg and cloves, I added lots of cabbage before serving it.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 Eb00f010

This one with coconut milk and spicy instant seasoning from my hometown

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 21332610

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

And, oh, I forgot to show off my beautiful Ham and cheese rolls I baked yesterday

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 21012310
July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 21208010

Banana Cheese Chocolate bread, I like it fo rmy breakfast

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 943c7910

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had pizza tonight. The kids came over after the stormy times we had. We had a plain, a sausage,, a pepperoni, and a Margareta large pies. Liam was cranky as ole heck. He bit son Jimmy ( Papia ) on the hand.
He slapped (Gee Gee).... DIL Sherrie on the back. His mommy ( our granddaughter ) finally had to get him in the car to get him to bed.
He was wound up like a Tasmanian devil. ..... We were all so full, none of us had dessert. I'm looking for something sweet now, but everything in the packaging is so crinkly and noisy. Ohhhhh! Tina hears that, and she comes in the kitchen saying, " Oh hon, MORE carbs?".... I said, " NO it's looking like biscotti to me!" July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 3447731902 July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 2825942945

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:Was Darch at the other old site? He always had artistically arranged food.  I often wondered if any of his food was still hot by the time he took the picture. Also if he use tweezers to arrange it and what if he wasn't a very cook, just artistic.

He is still floating around on anothe foodie forum. I forget which one but if I find him again I will let you know.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I found a site I used to see Dcarch posting on (gardenweb). The pics are OLD ~ but it brings back memories.....

Here's a link to some of his pics:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2411534/hoisin-sin#n=7

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Speaking of plating, this is a picture I took of a salad I had in Morocco four years ago. I did a fairly good replica of it once for a lunch for my sister and me."

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_10_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Beautiful, Lore!

Looks like pears, apples, walnuts, citrus, brie.....

Tell us more!

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Beautiful, Lore!

Looks like pears, apples, walnuts, citrus, brie.....

Tell us more!

I just sent you two more pictures of the salad partially deconstructed by me!  Trying to remember, I think there were pieces of smoked salmon.  It definitely was picture worthy!

I don't know if I mentioned it before, a cousin of mine met a Moroccan while both were working in Germany and married him.  She had studied Classic Arabic at University, and converted to Islam.  She met him through a website for single Muslims.  After they were married, they built a house halfway between Rabat and Casablanca, and will retire there.  Right now his parents and a sister live in one floor of the large house, Cornelia and her husband Jachsan have the upper floor.  I spent a week with them, then I took a bus tour of Morocco.

"Plating of part of the salad: there were grapes, nuts, red grapefruit, strawberries, a ruffled type of lettuce to fill in spaces. It was very challenging to copy because of all the ingredients. There was a dressing on the side and some crunchy pieces of a bread."

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_10_10

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_10_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be leftovers today. Pizza / roast beef shredded from the Philly
cheese steaks we had the other day. Salad, and whatever else we find.
Believe you me, there will be no fancy plating here. Cowboy style is
the preference. Everything placed in the pots they were cooked in.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:And, oh, I forgot to show off my beautiful Ham and cheese rolls I baked yesterday

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 21012310

Imelda, your breads are always so beautiful!

Wish we lived closer.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm still trying to stay on top of the stuff in the refrigerator.

Grilled some burgers and made sides of (1) medium sized yellow summer squash that I simply cubed and steamed, sliced up a quarter head of green cabbage and seasoned it with some of the Cajun Seasoning to give it a bit of flavor and finished off the rest of the garbanzo salad I made yesterday.

July, 2021 ~ Star Spangled Meals in our Kitchens! - Page 3 07_10_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, how are the goli gummies working for Ms. Tina?

If she is able to lose weight it will be my clue to go shopping for the same!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy, how are the goli gummies working for Ms. Tina?

If she is able to lose weight it will be my clue to go shopping for the same!

I don't know, and I DID NOT ASK !...hhahhahahahahaha
OOoops.... there she is, wiping the cookie crumbs off her face, and she says she will let us know in a week or so. Rolling Eyes
I vote for SO.... that could be a long long time!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum