Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ??

+4
cookingirl
Cookin Lore
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

151It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:02 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I see a can of salmon on the counter, and I hope not
for salmon patties. It's just not a Sunday meal for me!
So as it stands,.....we are in the limbo mode!

Interesting that you mention that Salmon patties are not a "Sunday meal". I had a rather lively discussion with a friend a while ago because I said that roast beef is not a Sunday meal. She said that it's traditional etc., etc. I said "not in my family" For a few years homemade pizza was the Sunday special, then for another while, King Crab.

Tonight's Sunday meal for me was the leftovers from Friday night's delivery Chinese seafood and vegetables. And a tomato, avocado/onion and feta as a side. Yumm!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

152It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:  I had a rather lively discussion with a friend a while ago because I said that roast beef is not a Sunday meal.  She said that it's traditional etc., etc.  I said "not in my family"  

I have to agree with your friend ~ well, at least I would have when I lived at home with my parents and brothers.

When Mom & Dad married he had been raised in a strict Catholic home. Mom was raised as a Lutheran. She 'converted' to his religion so they could marry in his church, which was VERY important to his mother (so she would accept their marriage). Seems as if, within 3 years, Dad decided he wasn't going to attend church any longer (we never figured out why, just that he didn't go to any church on Sunday) so Mom went back to the Lutheran Church and raised me and my 3 brothers in our neighborhood Lutheran Church. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's that I discovered I had been baptized in the Catholic Church.

Ah, but I digress......

Back to Sunday roast beef. When we would go off to church and Sunday school Dad stayed home and he made a beef pot roast EVERY Sunday. There was nothing better on a cold winter day than to come rushing into the house, starving after the 3 hours or so of Sunday services to the smell of that pot roast with potatoes, carrots & onions coming out of the oven. All that had to be done before we ate was to change out of our 'Sunday' clothes and make the gravy.

So, yes, to me roast beef IS a Sunday meal......

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

153It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't recall mom making roast beef every Sunday but when she braised brisket it was always on Sunday and I really loved that dinner.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

154It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Every Sunday was spaghetti of some sorts; along side with breaded fried steak cutlets, or pork chops. Two different vegetables was a must. If someone was to join us for dinner, it was a salad and cold antipasto of salami and cheese, etc.
Always had olives and hot peppers.
............... darn!......I'm getting hungry thinking of it.

bethk likes this post

155It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner tonight"

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_27_13

156It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:09 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner tonight"

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_27_13

Thanks again. That dinner was the last of my Chinese delivery on Friday. Steamed rice , the veggies were snow peas, celery, lots of king oyster mushrooms. There were shrimp, scallops and that white cylindrical looking thing which I figured out was pieces of calamari tube, put through some sort of thing which cuts those designs in it. I added a bit of soy sauce to the whole thing and voila, great dinner. The side was a large tomato, avocado, onion and feta. a bit of oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.

Regarding the roast beef, we didn't have an oven until I was I think 14. Electric or wood burning stove top only, so my mom never learned to make roasts. And, even once she had an oven, money was very tight, and all meats had to be carefully rationed. My mom also never made a whole chicken. She cut them up carefully (we raised our own mostly) so a chicken went a long way. I have said many times that my mom made crispy chicken wings before that chef at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo knew that chickens had wings! LOL I remember getting them at a local butcher shop for about $.20/lb.

When my children were very young (sons now 53 & 54) many Friday nights were at my mom and dad's house. Dinner was always chicken wings and rice. She would put the rice into the cookie sheet that had the wings, stirring it all around so the rice picked up all the spices and crispy bits from the wings. I still do my wings the same way. Just dredge in seasoned flour and bake in 375 degree oven.

157It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Having Jake in the house gives me a lot of help in deciding what to fix. He actually has an opinion when I ask what he'd like or when I give him options and he actually chooses 'A' or 'B' instead of saying, "I don't care..."

Tonight was marinated steak on the grill with boiled potatoes & fresh, cut from the cob, corn.

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_28_15

158It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was the pasta and tomatoes / butter sauce. DD also made Taco's and a baked tomato feta cheese salad.

bethk likes this post

159It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. The first of the fresh Lake Erie catch this year! Bass, they didn’t catch any perch. Side of mushrooms, onions and broccoli. Fish was inadvertently blackened! Yumm anyway!"

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_28_16

160It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane & Jake were planning on playing golf this afternoon but that was cancelled because of an hour long shower.....

I think they ended up playing darts in the garage instead.

While they were entertained I cut up vegetables for a chicken stir fry. It's always been something I could fix that Jake enjoys.

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_29_12

161It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Cookin Lore

It sounds to me like you are having a really nice relaxing visit.

162It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a garden salad, and a naked burger that DD cooked on the grill. Had a cheese Danish for dessert.

bethk likes this post

163It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:04 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Howdy? Smile  I'm back since last week, but my computer quit on me, I ordered a new PC tower from Costco, it arrived last week, then we found out we need an adaptor to connect to my old monitor, had to order from Amazon, it arrived today, then D spent a few hours to set it up. After that, I got on this site but I forgot my password, on my old computer I never logged off, so I reset my password, now here I am.

I had a good trip, spent good time with my sister and her family, watched all the Harry Potter movies twice, they have a theater room with big screen and cinema kind of chair, really felt like we were in a cinema. We dined out several times, all good food.

I haven't read all the posts yet, I'll stop by again soon.

I hope everybody is doing okay

bethk likes this post

164It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Welcome back, Imelda!

We can't wait to hear about your trip. I'm sure Dirk & your mother-in-law are happy to have you home!

165It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 am

Cookin Lore

Welcome home, Imelda! I look forward to all the pictures of your amazing food!

166It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you Beth, Lore, it's good to be back, though vacation was also very fun. Before I left I cooked some food for them, put some in the freezer, I talked to D every night and he reported to me what they had for dinner, some times he said he had no idea what to eat, so he went to Eegee's to get sandwiches. Now he knows it's not easy to prepare meal daily meal, some times I was stuck, no idea what to cook, fortunately they are not picky eater.

167It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The cooks are in limbo here.
What to cook ???? Nobody knows!

bethk likes this post

168It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Cookin Lore

I am in cooking limbo also. I'm still not really comfortable walking with this cumbersome boot on my leg, and by the end of the day am tired. So, I try to just do things I can do in the oven. And I'm tired of delivery.

169It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:00 pm

Cookin Lore

Decided that I will try something different.  Hauled out my Indian cookbooks, and found a recipe for a Goan Pork Curry that looks relatively simple.  I have all the ingredients.  Haven't decided whether to make some rice, or just eat with some naan which I have in the freezer.  Stay tuned!

Dinner Tonight. Goan pork curry over rice. I had some dehydrated chanterelle mushrooms, added them and some fresh pea pods. It was really good, but I overdid it with the chilies! I do love spicy, so really not a problem.

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_30_10

170It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Gonna have beef taco mix that DD made, with chips, and a garden salad.

bethk likes this post

171It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake wanted to go out for calamari tonight. So, up to Amerikano's Grill we went.

NO calamari available......((sigh))

But they have great gyros and chicken souvlaki and we all like their house made tzatziki sauce. There was enough extra that Jake should have a good bit for his 'from-now-until-bed' snack time.

172It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:29 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Our Happy 18th Birthday Boy!

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 06_24_11

Happy Birthday to him, it's nice of him to spend his 18th birthday with you and Dane.. Sweet...

173It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:34 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Shepherd's Pie today, I like double crusts, I added some grated nutmeg and cheese on the potato, I added some chopped kale in the sauteed veggies, some chopped boiled eggs

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 20607710
It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 20739510

174It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:58 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Shepherd's Pie today, I like double crusts, I added some grated nutmeg and cheese on the potato, I added some chopped kale in the sauteed veggies, some chopped boiled eggs

It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 20607710
It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 20739510

I love crusts. Tina makes shepherds pie with only mashed potatoes on top, and then cheese. I like crust, so next time I will ask her to make it with crusts...

bethk likes this post

175It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? - Page 7 Empty Re: It's "JUNE 2021"...What's Cooking ?? Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am

Cookin Lore

Today is Canada Day! A day to celebrate our great country. HOWEVER, today I hang my head in shame. Shame for what was perpetrated by our past governments, continued and run by several churches (Mostly RC) to our indigenous children to teach them about the "Real God". If you haven't heard about it, google Canadian indigenous residential schools. I am too sad to say more.

But, this is a cooking site, and in honour of Canada Day, I have some moose in my freezer. Very thin steaks which I am going to use to combine my German and Canadian roots. Going to make some moose "Rouladen". Or stuffed, rolled steak. I have the requisite red cabbage in my freezer, and of course there will be a potato.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum