Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen?

+3
NormM
Cookin Lore
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Although I didn't know it until I was in my 40's, the church I grew up in was a branch of the Lutheran Church.

Sounds like me, Norm. I never knew until I was 30 that I had been baptized in the Catholic Church.......Mom always took us to the Lutheran Church and that's what I remembered. I think it had something about my father being raised in the Catholic Church but after he married he decided to stop going to church.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

When mom and dad got married, he was Presbyterian and mom was Baptist . Mom wanted to get married in church but neither of them would marry them because dad was divorced. They found a church called Zion Evangelical and Reformed that would marry them and they ended up becoming members. Later when I got married in a Lutheran Church the minister told me that church was a branch of the Lutherans.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

My son was baptized Lutheran, divorced obviously years later. His now wife is Catholic, and for them to get married he was supposed to get an annulment according to the Catholic Church................. She never wanted a church wedding, so they got married in a lovely chapel of the Church of Las Vegas at the MGM Grand!! LOL

Back to cooking.............. gonna do some chicken thighs, a lovely hasselback potato and a salad today.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane wants to go out for a Cuban Sandwich tonight.....only if the rain stops (which it probably will....).

But since I was hungry I decided to make a brunch for myself ~ a vegetable omelette with cream cheese bits and drizzled with taco sauce. It's been a long, long time since I've made one of these.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 3 03_06_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far, no clue. I was with bloated gas, but I made an omelet for lunch, with green onions and cheese. A light thin bagel for a pusher.
Tina had a slice of banana bread that I made last night.
It was a saved in a book; torn out from a Dr. office that Tina scarily brought home. I never ever even pick up or look at a magazine in a waiting room.
Gerrrms!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. Chicken thighs, asparagus and a very large potato. Cut into chunks like a Hasselback. I could not finish that!"

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 3 03_06_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was eggplant Parmesan from Giancarlo's Italian deli.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a couple burgers today. then I saw the head of cauliflower that I forgot about and decided to make a Cauliflower Pea Salad with Bacon. It was the best part of supper!

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 3 03_07_21

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cincinnati Chili over spaghetti & a side of breaded frozen shrimp cooked in the
air fryer.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Dinner at son and DIL's place after watching the new Coming 2 America movie. Meatloaf, oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Yumm!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, after seeing your scalloped potatoes and ham, I thoght I might make a batch. I haven't had them in over 40 years. What kind of potatoes do you use and do you use milk or cream?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Beth, after seeing your scalloped potatoes and ham, I thoght I might make a batch. I haven't had them in over 40 years. What kind of potatoes do you use and do you use milk or cream?

Normally I use yukon gold but this time I used russets.....they were the ones I had on hand. I make a bechamel sauce with whole milk but usually add some half & half near the end of layering just to have enough liquid. I like them 'runny'.

I wouldn't recommend putting the ham on top without heating it through in a pan first. There was so much liquid in the ham slice I used it really changed the dish this last time....got WAY too runny and was super salty with the ham juices.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do you prefer the russets or the golds?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Do you prefer the russets or the golds?

I prefer the yukon golds....they're creamier IMO.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Popeyes crispy chicken parts; they were frozen about a month ago. They are really well done, and that way, I will eat them.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Popeyes crispy chicken parts; they were frozen about a month ago. They are really well done, and that way, I will eat them.

Popeye's crispy chicken sandwich is really good....I think it's just chicken tenders on a bun with pickles.

I like to add my own tartar sauce ~ adds just the right condiment to take it over the top.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I intended to have spaghetti squash with marinara....a favorite for HIM. I cut a spaghetti squash in half to remove the seeds and bake and the inside wasn't good. Into the trash. I got the second (and last) spaghetti squash I had in the refrigerator (bought at the same time, of course) and it, too, was icky on the inside.

So, Plan B in effect ~ Linguini with marinara & freshly grated parmesan. I didn't pick up any bakery rolls at the store so I just toasted off some brioche buns. I threw together a side salad and called it all supper.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 3 03_08_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sounds like an excellent fix.

NormM

NormM

I wasn't thinking about dinner tonight because I was planning tomorrows. Charlie went out and picked up some Korean Chicken wings from a restaurant that is supposed to be popular in Korea and has opened a store here in Overland Park. He said the chicken was fried then grilled. It was sweet and spicy. A little sweet a LOT spicy. I needed to eat some ice cream after to tame my mouth down. He also ordered a dish with fish cake and rice cake along with some other vegetables and white radish kimchi. The cabbage kimchi and rice we already had.March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 3 20210312

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had Omaha's chicken and dumplings. It was awful. I couldn't eat it. The dumplings were solid rocks of raw dough. I am so glad I didn't pay for those meals.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dear lord..... now I know how Tina feels when the food will not pass in her stomach. I ate the popeye chicken, and it got stick in my stomach.
I could NOT get it down. You know like, I could feel it dropping, but it just stuck in one spot. Water sips did not help it down.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Dear lord..... now I know how Tina feels when the food will not pass in her stomach. I ate the popeye chicken, and it got stick in my stomach.
I could NOT get it down. You know like, I could feel it dropping, but it just stuck in one spot. Water sips did not help it down.

Oh, dear.....that sounds awful. I hope it finally got fixed and you're feeling OK.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Dear lord..... now I know how Tina feels when the food will not pass in her stomach. I ate the popeye chicken, and it got stick in my stomach.

Oh, dear.....that sounds awful.  I hope it finally got fixed and you're feeling OK.
Yeah, thanks. It just took time, and no more food swallowing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Late lunch in Orlando today.....no cooking by me tonight.

Dane made himself a quick omelette and he was happy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A can of smoked herring for me, and a can of mackerel for Tina.
A Kaiser roll, and coleslaw. Tina only ate a little, and gave the rest to me.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum