Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen?

+3
NormM
Cookin Lore
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Beth.

We had the Corned Beef on Monday; so tonight will be Tina's chicken soup.
We need a cleanout after that Corned beef dinner. LOL
Oh....It's not over.! .... T's got a small pot with a top round roast simmering on low.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Pork tenderloin with mushroom sauce, German cabbage/potato salad, and steamed carrots and sprouts for dinner for me and my couple in the building here for tonight. No picture yet! LOL

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I cut the fat off the top of the corned beef and sliced it for sandwiches. Too crumbly to use the meat slicer.

Stimulus check arrived today but it hasn't cleared yet. Going to pay property taxes with it.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Saint Patty's day!

Here are two slabs I sliced with a carving knife. There were 2 leftover.....

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 Corn_b11

bethk, NormM and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

And leftovers from the leftovers could be made into Corned Beef Hash for breakfast with some over-easy eggs!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim joined us for St. Patrick's Day supper ~ no complaints heard from either him or Dane.....

Everyone loved the colcannon mashed potatoes with the cabbage/onion added.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 03_17_19

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Pork tenderloin, carrots and sprouts, and a German combination salad of potatoes, onion and cabbage. That’s the closest this German will get to making an Irish st. Patrick’s day meal!"

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 03_17_20

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

My DD#1's family doesn't care for cooked cabbage so she roasted Brussels sprouts & carrots to have with her corned beef. The colors are so vibrant!

NormM

NormM

It was just the two of us for dinner tonight. Homemade corned beef of course and all the usual stuff that goes with it.March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 20210318
March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 20210317

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meal looks fantastic, Norm. Did you do carrots, rutabagas & parsnips to go with the meal? It really does look like an Irish feast!

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth.  Yes, carrots, rutabagas, and parsnips.  I did the accordion cut baked potatoes instead of boiled.  We really like them that way.  We had Irish scones instead of soda bread.  There isn't a lot of difference except scones are sweeter. We also had an Irish recipe for mustard and Irish recipe for butter but truth be told, I didn't have any Irish whisky so I used Scotch.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Hate parsnips. Not sure if I Have ever had rutabegas, Looks like a mighty fine spread Norm.

Joe has corned and Swiss on rye and it kept him up all night. Thank goodness he has an appointment with the gastro today.

My surgery is scheduled the 25th. Hope things go well. If I die on the table that's ok with me. Better that than rotting away in some bed in pain.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's a week away, Bugs.....you'll be in my prayers. Try to keep a positive attitude ~ it helps.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Hate parsnips. Not sure if I Have ever had rutabegas, Looks like a mighty fine spread Norm.

Joe has corned and Swiss on rye and it kept him up all night. Thank goodness he has an appointment with the gastro today.

My surgery is scheduled the 25th. Hope things go well. If I die on the table that's ok with me. Better that than rotting away in some bed in pain.
Think Positive Debbie. They gotta keep us going; how else are they gonna make money? LOL

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

rutabagas are a kind of turnip but I think they taste better.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some pork shoulder steak thawed out.....pounded it a bit to even / tenderize & seasoned with whatever I happened to put my hands on in the pantry. I dusted them in a little flour and browned in the cast iron skillet. When crusty & browned I dropped in a cut up onion and added some chicken stock and put on a lid.....braised low & slow until tender and the onions were mush.

I also made some skillet roasted potatoes in a non-stick skillet. Washed yukon gold potatoes, cut about 3/4" thick. Browned on both sides in olive oil ~ again a lid and turned down the heat. When they were just about tender I raised the heat to keep them a bit crispy on each side.

Steamed the asparagus in the microwave with about 1 Tbsp. of water.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 03_18_11

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was 'meat department sale day' at Winn Dixie today. I picked up a pork tenderloin, 2 for 1 chicken thighs (now I have 10 huge chicken thighs in the freezer), a nice London broil that I have cut in half and marinated in the freezer and a thin ribeye that caught my eye. When I saw the ribeye, even though it was thin, it was what I wanted for supper.

Earlier I had made a pot of braised kale with cannolini beans & rotel tomatoes. I thought it would make a nice side dish. Turns out Dane would have made a meal of just that. But I cooked another picking of green beans from the patio pots and reheated the leftover colcannon mashed potatoes.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 03_19_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

I love to read of you picking veggies from patio pots at this time of year. We have such a short growing season here and I am actually amazed what our farmers are able to produce. I love to shop by our roadside farmers places. First will be asparagus and radishes!

I was in Florida in 2013, last vacation with my hubby, and he was not well any more. It was January, and there was/were still fresh veggies available. Unfortunately, we were hotel bound, so no opportunity to check out the local yummies' Maybe another time.

NormM

NormM

We had our Rueben sandwiches today.March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 20210319

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thinking that sandwich will be in Dane's near future, too.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

My SIL flew to Colorado to visit her daughter and family. She had a wonderful time for 5 hours until her SIL came home, called the house from the driveway saying he had lost his sense of smell and felt funny. My SIL couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough. SIL, daughter, baby all tested positive for Covid. She had her 2 doses of vaccine. It probably is the reason she didn't catch it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I used to get them at Friendly's, or if not, It would be a Tuna Melt.

#######################################

Supper for me, was peel and eat shrimp, Unsalted, and pepperoni and crackers. Tina had mashed potatoes with butter.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

A couple of our dear friends from our previous neighborhood came and had lunch with us, Terry is our hiking buddy, we used to hike together a lot, we ( she and I ) supported each other, when we had a hard hike, we would cheered us until we got to the top, I really miss hiking with her, she also is my shopping and lunch friend, she would drive us to the neighbor town, we would walk around the stores, and end up with light lunch. Last Sunday she and her husband came, her husband is a deacon at our church, and a good friend, they wanted to take us out for lunch, but D was concerned with Covid, esp if his mom went with us, so I decided to cook. It was a good idea, we ate at the backyard, talked, and chatted, a lot to catch up, Terry said "why did I suggest us to have lunch at a restaurant, your food is much more delicious". They like my spicy foods, in the past we had invited them several times to have dinner at our house.

I cooked Salmon with curry sauce, I panfried salmon then poured curry sauce on top of the salmon then cooked until it's done. I also cooked spicy eggplants, I had made some potstickers and egg wrapped the day before, so I heated them up, I also cooked some fried noodles

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 16062410
March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 16095910
March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 16131110

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 Dscn8110
March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 Dscn8112
March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 6 Dscn8111

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, you cooked a FEAST! I know it's wonderful to go out for a meal on occasion but I can see your friend's point ~ ~ no restaurant can compare to the meal you made and the comfort of the backyard to sit and enjoy the meal and great conversation with your friends.

Great job!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I love to read of you picking veggies from patio pots at this time of year.  We have such a short growing season here and I am actually amazed what our farmers are able to produce. I love to shop by our roadside farmers places.  First will be asparagus and radishes!

I was in Florida in 2013, last vacation with my hubby, and he was not well any more.  It was January, and there was/were still fresh veggies available.  Unfortunately, we were hotel bound, so no opportunity to check out the local yummies'  Maybe another time.

After growing up in Ohio with a large garden when I was a child and then another garden when we married, growing food was always something we just naturally accepted. I still miss the fabulous fertile soil we had there.

Gardening is definitely different here in Florida. The growing seasons are strange ~ not so much 'spring' planting but 'fall ~ winter' planting instead. The soil is awful for growing. That's why we use patio pots....more of a chance to keep some nutrients in the soil to support the crops.

And now it's more of a 'hobby' and just for a few fun meals. Dane loves to grow his radishes ~ but it got too warm too fast this year and he ended up with really spicy ~ and WOODY (ick!) ~ radishes. So, they got pulled out and composted. The Swiss chard that we planted with seed in Ohio gets purchased as small starter plants here. It wasn't doing really well for a while and then the weather cooled off after a hot spell in January and is growing nicely again.

But our favorite, to be sure, are the Blue Lake Green Beans. We usually get enough of them from what grows in 3 large patio pots for 5 or 6 meals, sometimes more.

I just wish I could figure out how to grow a decent tomato here. We've tried for many years and if they grow and produce fruit it gets too hot and it rots or, if it does grow to be picked, the tomatoes just don't have the flavor we like. I wish I could bring fresh truck loads of Ohio soil down to grow in!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum