Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen?

+3
NormM
Cookin Lore
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did burgers on the charcoal tonight.....decided to make some home fries (par-cooked potatoes & onions) and another picking of the patio pot green beans. I'm thinking the plants will produce one more small picking before being done for the season. (It's getting too warm for them)

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_25_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, it was angel hair with meat sauce..... and Pork loin chops braised and cooked with cabbage and onions, and peppers! in apple juice liquid.
Oh! It was good.
Boy did I eat.... ( a reward for being a good boy at the Dr's today.)

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

He's having hot dogs on the grill ~ chili & onions. A can of Bush's doctored up.

My stomach is giving me fits tonight so I'll be going to bed with a glass of ice water and hope I feel better in the morning. I don't think it's anything much - just don't want anything to eat.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina had mashed potatoes with meat sauce on top.
I had leftover pork and cabbage.
No appetite or enthusiasm.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some pork steak cutlets marinating in the recipe Norm made for Crispy Pork Chops.  Going to give it a try tonight.

Hey, Norm! Did you add the MILK to the sauce? Doesn't it curdle with the ketchup & wine? Just wondering......

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hoping all went well for Debbie....she said her surgery was scheduled for the 25th.....Praying all went well and she's on the mend.

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:I have some pork steak cutlets marinating in the recipe Norm made for Crispy Pork Chops.  Going to give it a try tonight.

Hey, Norm!  Did you add the MILK to the sauce?  Doesn't it curdle with the ketchup & wine?  Just wondering......

I did add whole milk and did not notice any curdling.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
bethk wrote:I have some pork steak cutlets marinating in the recipe Norm made for Crispy Pork Chops.  Going to give it a try tonight.

Hey, Norm!  Did you add the MILK to the sauce?  Doesn't it curdle with the ketchup & wine?  Just wondering......

I did add whole milk and did not notice any curdling.  

Okey Dokey ~ Thanks!

I don't have any dried apricots so I'm just making some of the Korean spicy marinated vegetables as a side salad (radish, carrot & onion). I was going to add a sliced jalapeno pepper from the patio pots but when I tasted it I thought it was WAY too spicy for my taste buds....I just dropped it into the trash. No sense in putting my stomach into a tail spin! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was fun to try something different for a change. Using Chinese Five Spices seasoning isn't something we normally eat. It wasn't quite to our tastes.....maybe the fact that I followed the recipe and a Tbsp. of it was too much for us.

The 'dipping sauce' was really quite tasty and complimented the marinated pork nicely. I wasn't sure how the ingredients would fit and was happily surprised.

By far, the best part, for us, was how tender the pork was due to being pounded thin and marinating for a couple hours (truth be told, I think it actually marinated for closer to 3 hours). The panko coating, which I did early enough to let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to absorb the moisture and stay attached to the pork when it fried, was super, SUPER crispy. I'll be using that method again, for sure. It was one of the 'crunchiest' tender pork products I think I've ever made.

Dane had seen me bring a jalapeno in from the patio and asked what dish it was in.....I had to tell him it ended up in the trash because just touching it to my tongue left a burn mark (not really). He laughed and laughed...... Hahahahaha There's a slew of them on the plant that I think are going to get gifted to our neighbors who enjoyed them last fall.

Here's the Chinese Five Spice seasoning I used. I don't think it's all that tasty ~ I don't think it's going to stay in the pantry long.....

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_27_11

And here's supper ~ I think you can even see how crispy the panko crust is on the pork ~

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_27_12

NormM

NormM

The most assertive taste in 5 spice powder is anise which is a licorice flavor. You could substitute allspice, fennel or a mix of tarragon and caraway seeds to get a similar but milder taste.

Cookin Lore

Stir fry of onions, yellow pepper, snap peas, jumbo shrimp and some left over rice tonight.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_28_10

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah Norm. Anise is a very overpowering spice. Ground fennel is a better choice for me.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I haven't felt ambitious in the kitchen lately. But, I'm going to try baking rye bread today. It's a dark, drizzly, cold day, bread should cheer me up! Fingers crossed

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane came up with the idea for fish for supper......I had one piece of salmon in the freezer ~ a 9 oz. piece. I don't eat salmon so I made hot dogs for me.

Dane said if he had noticed how big the thawing salmon was he wouldn't have eaten such a large lunch. But he has some leftover to eat with crackers for his lunch tomorrow.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_28_11

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_28_12

Cookin Lore

I didn't bake bread, but found a recipe which makes a "starter" in 24 hours.  So, I have that sitting in a bowl on my kitchen counter for tomorrow.  But, wanted to do something different, so I made a stuffed aubergine.  First and definitely last time. LOL  Digging the center out to use in the stuffing is a pain, I used (sort of) a vegetarian recipe, but added some hot Italian sausage meat.  Cheese, breadcrumbs, spices.  It was OK, but the actual eggplant is at the very most complimentary, ho-hum! The added cheese as a crust made the filling OK, but not worth doing again.  I needed something to go on the side, so I made some tabouleh.  That was great!

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_28_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Finished the cabbage and pork. Thank god it's all gone.
Puffed rice snack cake for dessert. I'm still hungry, so I may have
an English muffin buttered and jellied.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:It was fun to try something different for a change.  Using Chinese Five Spices seasoning isn't something we normally eat.  It wasn't quite to our tastes.....maybe the fact that I followed the recipe and a Tbsp. of it was too much for us.

The 'dipping sauce' was really quite tasty and complimented the marinated pork nicely.  I wasn't sure how the ingredients would fit and was happily surprised.

By far, the best part, for us, was how tender the pork was due to being pounded thin and marinating for a couple hours (truth be told, I think it actually marinated for closer to 3 hours).  The panko coating, which I did early enough to let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to absorb the moisture and stay attached to the pork when it fried, was super, SUPER crispy.  I'll be using that method again, for sure.  It was one of the 'crunchiest' tender pork products I think I've ever made.

Dane had seen me bring a jalapeno in from the patio and asked what dish it was in.....I had to tell him it ended up in the trash because just touching it to my tongue left a burn mark (not really).  He laughed and laughed......  Hahahahaha  There's a slew of them on the plant that I think are going to get gifted to our neighbors who enjoyed them last fall.

Here's the Chinese Five Spice seasoning I used.  I don't think it's all that tasty ~ I don't think it's going to stay in the pantry long.....

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_27_11

And here's supper ~ I think you can even see how crispy the panko crust is on the pork ~

I don't really like Five spices too, like you said, it's too strong, I'd add a bit, maybe 1/2 tsp in the recipes that call for it. One time I gave my good friend some fried rice, she liked it very much and asked for the recipe, so I told her how I cooked it, then she said what else did I add in it, she said she could taste/smell some spices, then I remembered, I added Chinese BBQ pork I cooked with that spice, she liked it very much, so when I went to the Asian Store, I grabbed 1 small jar for her, her sister who was visiting from German ate my fried rice and liked it too, now they can cook it at their home.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did the pan fried chicken thighs again ~ such an easy Jacques Pepin method. I baked a good looking butternut squash ~ it smelled good & looked nice and orange when I cut it in half. After it was baked and on our plates we both agreed it had absolutely no flavor of squash....so disappointing! But I did pick the last of the green beans from the patio pots ~ it doesn't look like there's much more on the plants and no blossoms to be seen. I added last night's leftover lima beans to a can of corn for my favored succotash ~

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_29_12

Cookin Lore

One more dinner from my freezer tonight. A bowl full of bean soup made with the last of the meat from a smoked turkey thigh I had a while ago. It was so thick it was like a stew. Yumm!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ravioli ..... bought / frozen ... tough, and hard; even after boiled twice the time, or more.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Ravioli ..... bought / frozen ... tough, and hard; even after boiled twice the time, or more.

I've heard (since I don't personally buy stuffed pasta because of the addition of cheese in most) that once you find a brand you enjoy you need to stick with that one because there are so many that do not get tender when cooked.

That said, there is a 'recipe' that's circulated on the internet for a 'lasagna' made with frozen ravioli that sounded good to me ~ just wondered if you've ever tried it ??

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I pulled one of my marinated Provencal London Broil steaks out of the freezer to thaw. I really like the way the marinade is sucked into the meat, flavoring it, as it thaws. I brought it to room temperature before I grilled it over charcoal, most of the cooking time away from the heat of the charcoal.

March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 03_30_15

Cookin Lore

No cooking today. I was just about to take some fish out of the freezer, and son texted. "Its a great day, how about a driveway beer and some sausage on the bun, mom""? Sounded like a good deal to me!
There's always tomorrow for cooking, right?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had stir fry beef, and peppers.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made Mongolian Beef for dinner. Charlie said it was good.March, 2021 ~ What's workin' in the kitchen? - Page 8 20210321

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum