Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

76April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

Met my son for the best burger ever today............ Jalapeno, bacon, great beef, cheese, onions.  There simply is nothing better!  And the company was great.  DIL is visiting her sister in California for a few days.  We're having freezing rain, ice pellets and snow................. Spring will come eventually, I think!

77April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Met my son for the best burger ever today............ Jalapeno, bacon, great beef, cheese, onions.  There simply is nothing better! 

Mmm, sounds good. Reminds me of the pre-made burgers we've been buying from the grocery, Lore -- they have all those things (jalapeno, bacon and cheese) ground up and mixed in with the beef except for onions. And we put those ON the burgers of course.

When you're having a super burger, there really does seem like nothing is better.

78April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Tonight was a WINNER Dinner!  I'm calling it a Korean BBQ Beef Bahn Mi Taco......

It's my invention and I can call it what I want!  LOL

I sliced up some of the Beef Flap I got at Costco and marinated it in a tiny bit of the Korean BBQ sauce for a few hours.  I made some pickled vegetables with cucumber, radish, carrot, green onion and a small red jalapeno pepper ~ all julienned very small.  Then I made a pickling mixture with rice vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, sambal oleck chili paste, fish sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. The vegetables only marinated about an hour because I didn't want them to get too wilted.

I also shredded some green cabbage to have a bit of crunch in my taco.

I heated some flour tortillas, stacked on some of the grilled beef, added a bit of the cabbage and topped with the marinated vegetables.

A real fusion of cultures and really, really tasty!

Oh, I also stopped at my local Chinese restaurant and got a pint container of sticky rice ~ only ate half so it was really economical (it was $1.05 for the box of rice).

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_06_10

This looked so good that I copied it and put it in my recipe files. I also posted it here in the Forum Recipes (in the Meats, Poultry, Seafood category).  I have everything but the beef and the Korean BBQ Sauce but you can be sure I'm going to get both really soon.  I even saved the picture in the recipe, too, cause it looked soooo good!

79April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:58 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Here's another recipe I copied today from a local food writer/critic who has a radio show, too. His name is Tom Fitzmorris and he's known as Mr. Food. He's quite a character and used to be a partner for a short time with my late sister in a small ad agency that specialized in print production. Tom used to print a monthly publication NOMenu but now publishes a daily email "publication" of sorts about the local restaurant scene and he almost always includes a recipe.

Anyway, there used to be a restaurant for YEARS on Bourbon Street called Toney's Spaghetti House. My father used to go there for lunch when I was a kid just to get a few of their dishes that he loved, maybe even this one since it was a house specialty.  You can tell how old it must be considering they called it stuffed "macaroni" instead of pasta! Anyway, I saw this and even if you make your own sauce, which I plan to do, and your own filling, it not only sounded good but different from the regular Italian things I make. Plus I recently saw the grocery is carrying fresh pasta sheets now so I've been wondering what I wanted to make with them. .

Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney
Serve two each for an entrée/Recipe by Jay Bonomolo, Toney's last chef (via Tom Fitzmorris)
Stuffed macaroni was a major house specialty at Toney's Spaghetti House on Bourbon Street. It's essentially a very light, soft mixture of the same things you'd use to make meatballs, but in different proportions. Many customers ordered it with meatballs, in fact. The macaroni part was the biggest tubular pasta available. You could also roll it up in sheets of pasta, like cannelloni but smaller. Or in large pasta shells.

Sauce:
2 28-oz. cans tomato puree
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Stuffing:
1 1/2 lbs. ground round
1/2 lb. ground pork
1 medium onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 8-oz. boxes pasta shells, manicotti sheets, or large pasta tubes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1. Make the sauce first. (Or use your own recipe.) Pour the tomato puree into a large saucepan over medium-low heat. When it comes to a boil, lower to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper.
2. Simmer the sauce, covered, stirring every twenty minutes or so (and scraping the bottom as you do), for six hours. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste. (No kidding-this is how they made the basic sauce at Toney's.)
3. To make the stuffing, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the ground round and ground pork. Add a tablespoon or two of water and cook, using a kitchen fork to stir the meat and keep it from clumping up.
4. When the ground meat is completely browned. drain any excess fat from the saucepan. Lower the heat to the lowest possible.
5. Add all the other stuffing ingredients. Stir to blend everything uniformly. Cook for twenty minutes, stirring now and then. Taste it and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (You may do it up to this point and refrigerate.)
6. Cook the pasta until al dente (soft but still firm). Drain, then fill the pot you cooked the pasta in with cold water and 2 Tbs. olive oil. Set aside.
7. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the sauce in each of two 11x9x3-inch casserole dishes. With clean hands, scoop up enough of the stuffing to fill one piece of pasta, and roll it like a sausage. Push it into the pasta tube, or roll it in the pasta sheet. If using shells, use a spoon for all this.
8. Lay the stuffed pasta in the casserole dishes, one layer deep. (You can stack a few on top if necessary. Ladle enough sauce to cover the stuffed pasta. Cover with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
9. Bake the stuffed pasta in a 350-degree oven until the sauce is bubbling-about twenty minutes.

80April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I know it is all about the tomatoes with Italian sauces but how does the sauce taste with just salt and pepper? Just doesn't seem like it would taste like much without some basil and oregano and garlic, but maybe the six hour cook does something. Tell me more about the sauce taste. I am really curious.

81April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have never been able to make a sauce as good as Newman's Own.  I don't try any more.  I like to leave some stuff to the experts.

82April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sometimes you just can't make something as good as store-bought. Here are some things I don't even try to make:

puff pastry
Dickenson's marion blackberry jam
Buittoni fresh pasta
Buittoni fresh marinara sauce
marshmallows
graham crackers
ketchup
mustard

83April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

This looked so good that I copied it and put it in my recipe files. I also posted it here in the Forum Recipes (in the Meats, Poultry, Seafood category).  I have everything but the beef and the Korean BBQ Sauce but you can be sure I'm going to get both really soon.  I even saved the picture in the recipe, too, cause it looked soooo good!

This is one I think you and Brian would enjoy as a change of pace meal. I originally got started making the Bulgogi or Korean Beef after Norm posted pics and recipes of his. I've tweaked his original recipe for the marinade to suit our tastes and then I found the bottled one at the Asian Market and now that's what I use. But, just like a good marinara, I'll often 'doctor-up' the sauce, maybe adding more sambal oeleck chili paste or maybe a tsp. of molasses to change the complexity of flavors.

The basic recipe has the sweet, sour, spicy flavors that go so well with beef. When Norm & Charlie made bahn mi sandwiches and I saw the mix of julienned vegetables it was an instant hit with me. So it made sense to me to mix it all up into an easy and quick 'eat-with-your-hands' meal. And let's face it, how many things can you wrap a tortilla around and not be happy? (tuna salad, chicken salad, fried shrimp.....anything is good with that neutral cover!

84April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I jus wonder about cooking the sauce for 6 hours... Two hours is the max for me... the patent without garlic, oregano, ?onions, concerns me....

Wonder how it tastes....

Anyone Try it?? sounds good otherwise..

@Niagra, I love Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Sauce... much better than Newman's... less sodium.. and a fresher taste...got this tip from someone who worked there, in the sample area....

85April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was planning to make chicken/zucchini/onion kebobs to put on the grill.

Then the wind started.

Then the rains came.

So, on to 'Plan B'......

Chicken chunks & onion sauted with a bit of the Korean BBQ sauce just to give it a little flavor.

Thick slices of zucchini and onion in the cast iron skillet until tender crisp.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_15_10

86April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Niagara Visitor

cookingirl wrote:I jus wonder about cooking the sauce for 6 hours... Two hours is the max for me... the patent without garlic, oregano, ?onions, concerns me....

Wonder how it tastes....

Anyone Try it?? sounds good otherwise..

@Niagra,   I love Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Sauce... much better than Newman's... less sodium.. and a fresher taste...got this tip from someone who worked there, in the sample area....

We don't have Trader Joe's here.  I am really not brand loyal in those kinds of sauces.  Rarely use them anyway.

87April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I know it is all about the tomatoes with Italian sauces but how does the sauce taste with just salt and pepper? Just doesn't seem like it would taste like much without some basil and oregano and garlic, but maybe the six hour cook does something. Tell me more about the sauce taste. I am really curious.

I've done sauce cooking up to 6 hr's, but mainly to thicken it. Sauce cooking changes the taste the longer it cooks. Sort of like caramelizing it.

My mother in law, rest her soul, made a great tomato sauce and meatballs. The critic, was besides me, was my father.
All she used, was OLIVE oil, and canned tomato sauce, and puree! Salt and pepper, and always in a porcelain pot. She peeled a whole head of garlic, and dropped them in the sauce. That was like 6 or 7 cans of 28 oz tomatoes.
Her meatballs were salt / pepper / beef / egg ,and cracker meal added to the meatball mix. She cooked it slow and low, with the top adjar.
The meatballs were added to the simmering tomato sauce raw, and not fried! ..... The meatballs now, can absorb the flavor of the tomato / garlic sauce. If the meatballs were baked, or fried,they would be sealed, and hamper the ability to absorb that flavor.

My dad loved it so much, he said, "Mary, your sauce is so good, I could drink it from a glass!" hahahahahahaha

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix oil type!)

88April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper today was a Chinese soup cup of noodles HOT and spicy for me.
Tina had a cup of dry honey crisps cereal.
Dessert for me, was toasted raisin bread and butter.

It's 1:00 AM already, and time for a snack. I need something cheesy! I know......an open faced grilled cheese.

89April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I know it is all about the tomatoes with Italian sauces but how does the sauce taste with just salt and pepper? Just doesn't seem like it would taste like much without some basil and oregano and garlic, but maybe the six hour cook does something. Tell me more about the sauce taste. I am really curious.

I've done sauce cooking up to 6 hr's, but mainly to thicken it. Sauce cooking changes the taste the longer it cooks. Sort of like caramelizing it.

My mother in law, rest her soul, made a great tomato sauce and meatballs. The critic, was besides me, was my father.
All she used, was mineral oil, and canned tomato sauce, and puree! Salt and pepper, and always in a porcelain pot. She peeled a whole head of garlic, and dropped them in the sauce. That was like 6 or 7 cans of 28 oz tomatoes.
Her meatballs were salt / pepper / beef / egg ,and cracker meal added to the meatball mix. She cooked it slow and low, with the top adjar.
The meatballs were added to the simmering tomato sauce raw, and not fried! ..... The meatballs now, can absorb the flavor of the tomato / garlic sauce. If the meatballs were baked, or fried,they would be sealed, and hamper the ability to absorb that flavor.

My dad loved it so much, he said, "Mary, your sauce is so good, I could drink it from a glass!" hahahahahahaha

You aren't serious Jimmy? Mineral oil? That isn't for cooking. Have you ever tasted it? It is bitter.

90April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

All she used, was mineral oil, and canned tomato sauce, and puree! Salt and pepper, and always in a porcelain pot. She peeled a whole head of garlic, and dropped them in the sauce. That was like 6 or 7 cans of 28 oz tomatoes.

I hope that this is a typo, surely she didn't use mineral oil!  

91April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I hope that this is a typo, surely she didn't use mineral oil!  

Oooops! thank you Lore! hahahahaha..... Had a Senior Moment. No

92April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK.... fresh day, and Supper is cooking slowly in the lectric fry pan.
I call it...Hamburgers Soy, honey, and carrots onions and peppers! All served up, with Bavarian Potato Dumplings.
It's all seasoned by whatever I could find. I even threw a couple cabbage leaves chopped. Tina just took the Baby for a ride, and to get gas. Hope it tires him out; so he will nap. He is so good. God Bless Him!

93April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What? No mineral oil?

94April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What? No mineral oil?

Haaaaaaaaa! NO. Not today! I don't know what the heck I was thinking of when I wrote that. No

95April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Haaaaaaaaa! NO. Not today!    I don't know what the heck I was thinking of when I wrote that.  No

You were probably thinking of the cod liver oil she made you and brother swallow so you wouldn't get sick........YUCK!!!

96April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making the Korean BBQ Bahn Mi Tacos again tonight.....

Gonna do the beef strip on the grill ~ I found my flat vegetable grill pan so it should be easy and keep all the mess outside.

Refer to the pics from the other day.....Hahahahaha

97April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm

NormM

NormM

I had those tacos today too. I had leftovers.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

98April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Haaaaaaaaa! NO. Not today!    I don't know what the heck I was thinking of when I wrote that.  No

You were probably thinking of the cod liver oil she made you and brother swallow so you wouldn't get sick........YUCK!!!

We got cod liver oil for tummy ache, but for a cold, it was a tip of a tsp. of Vicks Vapo Rub.

99April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I asked Dane what he wanted for supper he was the one to suggest, "Those beef strip tacos you made....." So, I guess he liked them

Tonight I cooked them on the 'gas-grill-made-into-charcoal-grill' ~ so nice to have the mess outside and it took no time at all!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_16_10

I can't eat more than 1 and 1/2 ~ but on soft flour tortillas they are really tasty.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_16_11

100April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When I asked Dane what he wanted for supper he was the one to suggest, "Those beef strip tacos you made....."  So, I guess he liked them

Tonight I cooked them on the 'gas-grill-made-into-charcoal-grill' ~ so nice to have the mess outside and it took no time at all!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_16_10

I can't eat more than 1 and 1/2 ~ but on soft flour tortillas they are really tasty.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 4 04_16_11
They look good Beth. Leave it up to you to improvize a cooker grill! I like that idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum