Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

bethk

Admin
I made chicken breast chunks, marinated in the Korean BBQ Sauce with zucchini and onions. Andrea made some sweet coconut rice to plate under it. Tori decided she prefers plain rice so she had a packet of "ready rice" heated just for her. The coconut rice was a really nice compliment to the Korean BBQ chicken. Forgot to take a picture.....I must be getting old.

NormM

This Jerk Pork Tenderloin Kebabs is from the Korean BBQ book, but he thinks of his food as Korean American and Puerto Rican. He was born in Korea but grew up in America and his wife is from Puerto Rico. This recipe was inspired one winter when he and his wife vacationed in Jamaica, so it is pretty much a mixture of a lot of different traditions.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Norm, your empanadas not only looked delicious but cookbook pretty, too!

Beth, glad you're enjoying homemade dinners made by someone else with your family. Don't blame you for forgetting to take pictures -- enjoy every minute you can!

Jimmy, sorry to hear about your fridge problems. God knows we can relate. I think this is our sixth refrigerator in the 20 years we've been in this house. I tried every brand under the sun (first was a Kenmore as it was the only side-by-side that would fit there; then I took down the short wall on the side of the fridge so we could get a bigger one). They all started out good but something big would break like on yours after a couple of years and I'd just get another one after getting a couple of them fixed and the fix didn't last very long. The last one was a G.E. and I swore I wouldn't get another one; they came out and fixed it twice but you could see it was going to keep freezing up in the same place and the repairman said it was definitely a design flaw. Rather than have him come out and unfreeze that same darn thing again (I had to empty the fridge each time he had to work on it!) Brian called the extended warranty co., fussed and they gave us $1600 and change towards a new one and included another $50 for delivery, too.

But after researching all brands before replacing the last one and reading what seemed like a thousand reviews of each brand (every single brand had at least a couple of reviews that said "Don't buy this brand!"), I got another GE, this time a Profile. Another French Door style with the freezer drawer on the bottom as we liked that style; like Norm said, the freezer wasn't wide enough in the old side-by-side style and though I worried about having to dig in the French Door freezer, with the pull out shelf and a little organization, it has worked out beautifully for us. I knew the icemaker in the GE Profile didn't hold very much from reading reviews but decided against getting an optional icemaker you could put in the freezer drawer, as it took up too much freezer room. I bought two 4-cube silicone ice trays that make 8 HUGE ice cubes which has totally solved THAT ice problem. Every morning when I go downstairs to get us coffee, I empty those 8 cubes out into a freezer bag and refill them so we always have tons of ice for our needs. This fridge is the biggest one we've ever had (27.8 cu. ft. like yours) and it's heaven as it has so much room in there -- we love it. Knock on wood!!

bethk

Admin
My last evening here.....we're going out for Tori's favorite, PASTA! It's a restaurant we've been to before where they make their pasta fresh. Last time I had a beet pasta with a prosciutto and fig sauce. It was delicious. Can't wait to make another selection tonight.

bethk

Admin
I'M HOME! My flight got in at 4:30 and traffic was horrendous, took us over 2 hours for a normally 1 hour, 10 minute drive.

I ended up baking off some pepper bacon for BLT's for supper....ate the last of the Ohio tomatoes Dane brought home last week...delicious!

bethk

Admin
Spent the day doing laundry, putting away clothes from suitcases, going grocery shopping and starting to sort through the accumulated mail ~ GEESH! We get a ton of 'junk mail'!

Dane said he wanted chicken so I figured it was a good time to bake off the gigantic butternut squash my brother grew and to put a few seasoned chicken thighs in the oven.  Made some steamed broccoli to go with it.

((somehow my file disappeared.....I'll see if I can find it later.......))

OK, I had to download my pic a second time ~ it's floating somewhere on my computer but I'm not going to look for it.

Last edited by bethk on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

Admin
I do have the pics downloaded of some meals at Andrea's......

First, Jim's Birthday Dinner: Filet of Beef topped with crabmeat and hollandaise, green beans (also with hollandaise), Ohio homegrown tomatoes & herb knot rolls:

Andrea's Lemon Greek Chicken (recipe on allrecipes.com), baby potatoes & zucchini/summer squash "spaghetti":

And three meals we had at a pasta restaurant in Carmel, IN ~ Tori with Fettuccini Bolgonaise (sp?), Andrea's Shrimp w/Lemon Cream Sauce and Brocollini and my Gnocci with Wild Mushroom Marsala Sauce:

Niagara Visitor

I just finished a piece of bison tenderloin spiced with The Keg's steak spice, and some fingerling potatoes.  Potatoes in chunks, a little avocado oil, salt/pepper, some garlic, cayenne.  Yummy.  BUt, I'm not sure the bison is worth the extra $$$$

bethk

Admin
They say bison is leaner and better for you than beef ~ but, I agree, it's really pricey and I'm not sure it's worth the price they ask.

I have had some bison burgers that were VERY delicious ~ don't know if it's how they were seasoned or that they were cooked to a perfect medium rare over a wood fire.....but YUM!

bethk

Admin
We had to go to a 'Celebration of Life' service for one of our dear neighbors this afternoon. Didn't get home until a little while ago. They served a small luncheon after but Dane said he's going to want something more. Decided on some bacon, heated leftover squash and lima beans.

He sounded happy about the 'impromptu' supper-on-the-fly I came up with......

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:They say bison is leaner and better for you than beef ~ but, I agree, it's really pricey and I'm not sure it's worth the price they ask.

I have had some bison burgers that were VERY delicious ~ don't know if it's how they were seasoned or that they were cooked to a perfect medium rare over a wood fire.....but YUM!
I'm afraid mine was a little overcooked, but I can't blame anyone other than myself.  It was still delicious.  Think I'll stick to ordering regular beef fillet in a restaurant from now on, though.  Not worth the $$$.

bethk

Admin
My daughter grilled some prime beef filets for son-in-law's birthday. Perfect medium rare and so, SO delicious. She topped with crab cake and hollandaise sauce....as good, if not better, than a restaurant meal. She said, even with the price of prime beef it was still so much less than going out with four of us. We don't eat like that often but it's nice when the meal comes to the table perfectly done.

bethk

Admin
OK, dear friends.....CALL TO ACTION! We need prayers for Jimmy! I just got a message from Tina:

" Hi Beth just got your message on my way to hospital having a good cry for myself Jimmy had a heart attack Sunday of course he’s been sick for a few weeks with chest pain‘s and won’t tell anybody they had to medevac him from our town to Morris town by car is an hour away Sunday night when they got in there they put two stents in Tuesday they put another one in so now he has seven they’re trying to get his heart rate steady as of yesterday they were going to increase his medication."

Please pray like we've never prayed before......

NormM

He is in my prayers.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

cookingirl

Prayers going... also will light candles, ask a friend to help pray, and send a request in to St Anthony....

Poor Tina...

knew something was amiss.. Jimmy has not posted for a bit.. and he has been feeling poorly, over the past couple weeks.. not cooking much, and not eating much..

Crybaby

Prayers are also coming from New Orleans for both Jimmy and Tina.

bethk

Admin
OK, so Jimmy's going to need some stuff to scroll through when he gets home......somehow I have a feeling Ms. Tina will have her hands full with him as her patient!

So, we need to make sure he has stuff to comment on:

Tonight I rummaged through the freezer and found a couple containers of chili to thaw and heat for our supper.

Yesterday I got my annual flu shot ~ and the same as last year I feel crappy today. I woke up with a stuffy nose and the injection site is inflamed and hot. Then the sneezing started, and the 'faucet' runny nose. Hopefully the symptoms will abate by tomorrow. If not, I'll just be a crabby face all day!

cookingirl

Got my flu shot, a week ago. It did make me very tired, a bit feverish feeling, but no fever.

Since I am on a soft diet, due to dental surgery~ this past Monday; still with stitches; I just roasted up a couple fo sweet potatoes in my new oven..

Yes, Renovations are OVER!!! Now, to deal with putting my things back, and purging.

The cabinets are much smaller. sigh....  I have too many things I do not use. Seriously, Who needs 8 cereal bowls and 10 mugs???? just for one person, who does not entertain??  

I have a large plastic tote, labeled: Salvation Army. I am donating all that I am not planning on using. This includes all the old sheets, towels I used to cover furniture with. I am just throwing the things in there. They can empty the tote; not giving that to them-----will probably end up just giving then the whole thing.

I have 2 large trash bags of sheets and towels to wash. I will purge when I pull them out of the dryer.

Jimmy, hope you catch up with this update....

Yes, new stove, refrigerator, microwave.. all stainless .... not happy with workmanship of the counters and cabinets, but Property Manager is ok with all the defects.. I only rent... sigh...

Why do I bother to say anything.. It is pointless... sigh..

My apartment is about 70% back to normal.. I am exhausted..
Pots and pans to put away tomorrow.. and laundry.... busy 3 days....
Linen closet, about 3/4 done..

Need to find a drawer for my kitchen towels. They shorted me a drawer!!! and they are much smaller!

bethk

Admin
Good News!

I just got a message from Tina (about 7:45 Saturday Evening):

"I just left the hospital and I’m on my way home
I have an hour drive so that’s why I’m leaving now
Thank God Jimmy is doing good he ate he’s on a renal diet And a low-cholesterol diet."

She's hoping he'll get released to go home on Monday or Tuesday.

Keep up the prayers, friends, and may God watch over Jimmy & Tina so he gets home and gets to complain to all of us about his stay in the hospital.

Bugster2

Prayers are being sent to Jimmy and Tina from California.

Niagara Visitor

Maybe the Canadian prayers have helped also!

I'm down to my final prep for dinner tomorrow. (Canadian Thanksgiving) Last minute shopping today, clean the condo, set the tables with dishes etc.   I think the silver needs cleaning!

There will be 14 of us.  Menu is: smallish (12 pounds) turkey with stuffing/dressing; two rabbits; mashed potatoes; large pan of oven roasted root vegetables; red cabbage; creamed corn; home made cranberry sauce; chutney; pickles etc; crusty bread/butter; Spiralized salad of cucumber, radishes and leeks.

Daughter-in-law is bringing veggies, dip, cheese crackers for nibbling before dinner; Vanilla,chocolate and mango ice cream for dessert with chocolate, strawberry or caramel sauce (straight from the Smuckers' bottle) Mango and fresh raspberries for either putting on the ice cream or separate.  Coffee/tea.......................... Have I got enough?

bethk

Admin
Good Grief, Lore! You better hope the Canadian Mounties are planning on showing up! LOL

I know your meal is going to be delicious. Try not to work too hard and just enjoy the day.

Happy Thanksgiving!

bethk

Admin
Message from my exchange with Tina:

(Me) "Tell Jimmy we all miss him and want him to get home. We'll play a game with him on all the ways to cook cabbage so he can stick to his correct diet!"

(Tina) "Sounds good to me he just got washed up he sitting up in the chair he’s exhausted but I told him he has to move to get better and cook for me LOL"

(Me) "I predict some stuffed cabbage rolls in his near future! We may have to make some adjustments but home cooked food definately trumps hospital food any day of the week! (we'll save yellin' at him for ignoring symptoms until much later ~ I have a feeling he's learned his lesson.....OLD DOGS CAN LEARN NEW TRICKS!)"

(Tina) "He could have cabbage I think yes - he can’t have tomatoes so I will have to cook them the way my grandmother cooked them. can’t have bacon LOL will find a new way. right now he stuffing his face. he had scramble eggs cholesterol free a bagel with cream cheese and coffee and he’s enjoying every morsel of it."

So now we have to come up with foods that will help him stay on his 'renal diet' and 'low cholesterol diet' ~ let's use all our resources to come up with some tasty dishes for him!

Bugster2

Krispie Kreme donuts are probably off the list too.

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Good Grief, Lore!  You better hope the Canadian Mounties are planning on showing up!  LOL

I know your meal is going to be delicious.  Try not to work too hard and just enjoy the day
 I have told my family and friends to bring containers for leftovers! LOL

I saw my one neighbour yesterday, borrowed some TV tables from her and told her to stop by also.  Told her I was making rabbit, and she started to salivate.  She and boyfriend were in Spain recently where they had rabbit the first time and just loved it.  I have also taught her to love chicken livers and headcheese! LOL (Not making those today, though.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum