Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

51April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, it's so good to have you back!

My Kindle is in need of charging and I don't have a book to read right now so it was great to read YOU.

LOL

By the way, I think the 'who-knows-who' of the forum sent that newsletter out, or maybe it was Facebook.....I had nothin' to do with it.  Way too technical for me, believe me!

Ha Ha Ha Ha -- I really laughed at your crack, Beth. Indeed a good one. For a change, I actually went on and on about food though -- well, in that one post anyway.

And I forgot to ask you in your message about your Sweet & Sour Pork. What the heck did you do with that leftover meatloaf? I know you took one out of the freezer and had it one night -- what happened to the rest of it in the No Leftover Household.

I guess the Forum did it -- I thought it was some new feature they told you about that they'd added! Wow -- how nice of them to pick two recipes I posted. And your photos, too! Does this mean we're famous? I hope they only went out to the people here as I'd die if my "books" got posted elsewhere -- they'd send the word police over to take me out!!!

52April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

And Beth? Thank you for the welcome back. Loved that it came BEFORE your Kindle crack...

What are you reading anyway? I'm on Book 2, "The Sins of the Father," in Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles. Stupid me, I read the first book recently and then ordered the rest of the series yesterday from Amazon. This morning I reached in a little bag I have with "stuff" in it and found Book 2 in there -- forgot I bought it when I bought Book One!  So now I'll have two of the same book. Nothing I haven't done before but usually it's years before I forget I've read a book and purchase it again. Just proves I should leave all my "stuff" visible and hanging around the bedroom taking up valuable real estate.

I just LOVE anything written by Jeffrey Archer. Anyone else out there like him? Anyone else a regular reader?  I'm getting back into it as I got out of it when I started experiencing so much back pain -- I couldn't concentrate.  But I'm boosting my pain pills between pills with a lesser pain pill my doctor prescribed a while back that never seemed to help. The opioids worry me a lot and they work much better the more you can stretch them out. So I had a full bottle of the lesser pills and started taking them between the biggie pain pills. It may be mind over matter but who cares if it works?! So I'm back into reading.  I'm a very impatient person when I have to wait -- wait in the doctor's office, wait at the drug store, wait in line, etc. I'm peaceful as all get out when I have a book in my purse.  

Ordered the rest of the books so they'd hurry and come as I have jury duty beginning Monday. I will spend my days  reading if I don't get picked for a jury. I ALWAYS get picked so I presume I will again. Don't know why I'm always picked but I have my ideas. It's a lot less boring if you're selected for a jury but reading is a lot less stressful. I just wish I was still working as THEN I would be paid to sit there and read or serve on a jury. Now I have to do it for free -- well, they send you a small check if you serve, I think $5 a day. And now they provide free parking, too. Yippee!  Brian's already worrying about missing me but he'll get over it -- I just hope he doesn't like it too much when I'm gone!  

If anyone out there is a big reader, we can start a reading thread here, too. You're probably all out being active...  April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 2790317363

53April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sorry, Michelle, but I retain NOTHING of what I read. That's why the Kindle is so good for me ~ I read a book (usually some insipid Danielle Steele or such) and then, 6 months later I pick up the Kindle and go back and read it again. Sometimes when I finish a book I'll page back to about 1/3 of the way and then close it. That way, when I open it I THINK I'm in the middle of a chapter and just start reading. It usually takes me until about 3/4 of the way to realize that I have, indeed, read it once or more.

I do the same thing with cooking magazines ~ read them and then put 'em in a pile and when I'm bored I pick one from near the bottom of the stack and see if anything looks interesting. Of course, there are some recipes that I really love but don't make often. I can practically SEE the recipe in my head, or how it was situated on the pages of the magazine. And when it gets really bad, I have to go sort through the really old ones until I find the recipe and decide it's too much work to do right now ~ but now it's on the top of the stack just in case I change my mind.

((Gee, do you think I have a case of OCD? Actually, I refer to it as 'CDO', which is the same exact thing but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order.......))

54April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jimmy went for a nap this afternoon, and awaken to such an aroma of onions cooking with ground beef. Tina made Shepherds Pie for supper. Gravy / mashed potatoes, and corn. All topped with cheddar cheese, and baked till bubbly.
OMG.....it was fabulous. April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 3593629538 .

55April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 am

NormM

NormM

Those tacos sound really good Beth.

Last edited by NormM on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

56April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Decision is....... H O T D O G S !!

I have chili sauce frozen too! .....

57April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Those tacos sound really good Beth.

Norm, I was thinking of you and Charlie the entire time I was prepping for supper!

I love the taste of the Korean Beef BBQ ~ not too sweet, but still a sweet note on the tongue. And paired with the plain finely shredded (by hand, I might add ~ LOL) topped with Charlie's Bahn Mi pickled vegetables.....well, it was a treat to eat! I'm sure we'll have them again just because I liked them so much. And just about anything in a flour tortilla (our fave over a corn tortilla) is just plain fun to eat.

58April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Decision is.......  H   O   T     D    O   G   S   !!

I have chili sauce frozen too! .....

There you go, Jimmy! I knew you'd come up with something you were really hungry for.

Funny thing ~ I had a couple cut up hot dogs heated with a bitty can of the Bush's Baked Beans for my lunch today. I browned the cut hot dogs with some chopped onion, using the chunk-o-fat that floats in the can and then added the beans. Boy, it was a BLAST * FROM * THE * PAST !!

And YOU were my inspiration for supper tonight. I kept thinking, what might Uncle Jimmy be hungry for?

I came up with chicken parmesan on bucatini noodles (I thought I had angel hair pasta, but turns out it was the complete opposite ~ bucatini.....big, fat spaghetti with a hole in the middle).

But it was really tasty. I intended to make just a bit of marinara with some of our home grown tomatoes that are now in need of being used and ended up with a BIG kettle. I've got two 16-oz. containers to go into the freezer after they cool in the refrigerator tonight. I didn't want to use any meat so I finely chopped a package of porta bella mushrooms that I browned and almost carmelized with the onions before I started adding the chopped tomatoes and then a can of crushed tomatoes. The mushrooms add a bit of texture and meatiness without being beef.

I use to make breaded chicken cutlets but have found we much prefer just pounded, seasoned & floured chicken, quickly seared and then a bit of the sauce into the pan and a topping of mozzarella. I just popped the skillet into the oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 04_11_10

59April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Spaghetti and macaroni's all have a different taste, and each compliment different sauces and to go withs.
Tina made some chopped tomatoes that were really ripe, and fried mushrooms and onions. I had that for a taste around 4:30. It was so good over regular #8 spaghetti, I was so stuffed,couldn't eat the hot dogs I was wishing for, and planning for supper.
There is always tomorrow.

60April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a ripe avocado that needed to be eaten so I made wrap sandwiches for dinner: jumbo flour tortilla, ranch dressing, sunflower seeds, shredded carrots, Muenster cheese, avocado, tomato, watercress and sprouts. Very green tasting but very good.

I was just watching the news. A woman I bought a chair from a few years ago was arrested for her sister's murder. Oh joy. She was also charged with 3 counts of animal cruelty and arson. She was a TV producer on Rosie, Jerry Springer and one other. Her sister was blind and disabled and I guess it got to be too much for her. Still, she could have just handed her over to the state for care. Sad.

61April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I had a ripe avocado that needed to be eaten so I made wrap sandwiches for dinner: jumbo flour tortilla, ranch dressing, sunflower seeds, shredded carrots, Muenster cheese, avocado, tomato, watercress and sprouts. Very green tasting but very good.

I was just watching the news. A woman I bought a chair from a few years ago was arrested for her sister's murder. Oh joy. She was also charged with 3 counts of animal cruelty and arson. She was a TV producer on Rosie, Jerry Springer and one other. Her sister was blind and disabled and I guess it got to be too much for her. Still, she could have just handed her over to the state for care. Sad.

Such a sad story Deb!

62April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wanted Pizza... ( Blue Tube crust, and her tomato sauce ) .....

I wanted chili dogs and baked beans.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Img_0829
April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Img_0830

63April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie had a can of Amy's vegetarian chili with beans. I gave it a taste and it wasn't half bad. There was something in it that felt like ground beef. She said it was soy.

64April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Katie had a can of Amy's vegetarian chili with beans. I gave it a taste and it wasn't half bad. There was something in it that felt like ground beef. She said it was soy.

Yeah! some of that stuff is not bad. I used to make my brother meatballs with tofu and buckwheat .... He was battling cancer, and couldn't have meat in his diet!

65April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I met Dane and his golfing group for a late lunch yesterday....

After eating a large lunch we don't bother with any supper.

Today I've got the Friday Ladies' Luncheon at the Country Club down the street. Knowing I'll be going out for another big lunch makes me think I'm right in planning to have leftovers for supper. We've got tacos for one, meatloaf for one, spaghetti w/marinara for one and stir fry for 6.....

I think I'll save the stir fry for tomorrow in hopes of having a real meal and not just 'get and go'.

66April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I made shrimp and vegetable tempura today. It's too messy to make very often but too good to not make at all.  Charlie thought I'd made too much but there was hardly any left over.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 20180410

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 20180412

67April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I want to live next door to you!

I NEVER do anything deep fried.....way too much mess for me.

Well, I take that back ~ IF the electric skillet will do and the weather is nice with no rain, I'll do a little bit out on the patio. But I practically have to wash down the kitchen cabinets from all the grease that's floating in the air. It probably has to do with me not having the correct temperature.

((sigh))

68April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:45 pm

NormM

NormM

Clean up isn't too bad but doing it outside would be even better. I used the cast iron chicken fryer because it is easier to clean up that the electric deep fryer. It uses less oil for one thing and I use thisApril, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 20180413 to keep the temperature under control. I'll do the clean up in stages too. All the mess is wiped up and in the dishwasher and tomorrow I will mop the floor.

69April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking here today, I had a salad of romaine, red pepper, tomato, parsley, snap peas, cucumber, shrimp and feta............... not cooked, but I baked a cake.  My sis has had two days of radiation for the breast cancer which has spread to her spine, and she loves poppyseed cake.  So, I baked one for her.

70April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You know those hot dog buns that we have from yesterdays chili dogs?
They made great buns for sandwiches. I had a ham and swiss on a bun, with mayo.
Then.....another, with salami. A cold beer and a doughnut and coffee for dessert.
Today was a hot wave that hit for two days. It's 72 out now, and I got some sun helping my neighbour next door pulling out the engine so we can rebuild it, on his sons Subaru Forester. Wow! .... thank God there was a little breeze.

I had the A/C running in the kitchen and dining room. That is where we gather during the day. We have central air, but It was less costly to run the small systems instead of the whole house. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 78, but Sunday 60 and rain with low 50's overnight. Much Much Better.

71April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We have had some heat too. 95 a couple of days ago. Today was 85. Today was the start of the Cochella Music Festival out in Indio, CA. That is next to Palm Springs. I don't know how those kids can take the heat. I would love to have gone but I am not sure there is seating except for VIP's and I am too old to sit on the ground with no shade. They would have to take me out in a body bag.
We had Honey Baked ham sandwiches on croissants. Ham, Swiss, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet gherkins, mayo and honey mustard. Really nice cool dinner.

72April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:47 pm

NormM

NormM

I took Beth's idea for Korean Bahn Mi Tacos and gave it a try.  Some of the tacos were made with left-over shrimp tempura from yesterday and the rest were made with bulgogi. I added some chopped apple to the shredded cabbage.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 20180416

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 20180414

73April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love food in your hand.....an my Mom isn't here yelling at me to use a fork!  LOL

The sweetness of the beef with the pickled vegetables was really good!

No cooking ~ just reheating.  Last of the leftovers.

I had the 3/4 c. of leftover bucatini (had to add some additional marinara 'cause it soaked up all the sauce that was there when I put it into the deli container).

Dane had the leftover tacos.  I was going to have a bit of the guacamole but when I saw he had not bothered to press plastic wrap on the top and it was a lovely "olive drab'' color ~ well, he was welcome to it all.

He'll eat anything unless I say it's got mold on it.

One day last week he was going to make a toast & cheese sandwich and put his bread into the toaster.  I was sitting at the kitchen counter across the room and as his toast was just starting I got the unmistakable odor of mold.  I told him, "That bread is moldy....throw it away."  And he answered that he saw some 'fuzz' but figured it would be OK.

GROSS.

I swear, the man would kill himself and then claim it was an accidental food poisoning caused by me.

74April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:You know those hot dog buns that we have from yesterdays chili dogs?
They made great buns for sandwiches. I had a ham and swiss on a bun, with mayo.
Then.....another, with salami.

Dane has a FIT if I try to get him to use a hot dog bun for anything other than a hot dog or brat.

He must have had a terrible experience with hot dog buns when he was a child.......     LOL

My dad use to love, Love, LOVE making a 'baked bean' sandwich.  He would come in to take a break from plowing or planting and would want a fast lunch.  He would open a can of Van de Camp beans and spoon the beans on a couple hot dog buns.  That was it ~ straight out of the can and nothing added.

75April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was Chinese take out. Fried rice, and egg rolls.
Just cooling off here. It was 78 degrees this afternoon, and now it's windy, and 56 degrees. Great!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum