Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

126April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:What? No mineral oil?

Haaaaaaaaa! NO. Not today!    I don't know what the heck I was thinking of when I wrote that.  No

You were probably thinking of the cod liver oil she made you and brother swallow so you wouldn't get sick........YUCK!!!

My mom said she had to take that as a child for a while. She said that reason alone was the reason she'd never make us kids take it!  I was an upchucker, too (still am), so it would've probably come right back up if she had.

Reminds me of the original "mother's little helper" -- Geritol!!!

Yeah!.... and don't forget "Serutan".... ( That's "Natures" spelled backwards ).

127April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We ate like Sharks today. Whatever was in front of us, we snapped up and ate.

I had a leftover slice of pizza in a ziplock bag I found in the reefer.
Tina had an open faced grilled cheese.
Some cookies, and chips.
I made egg salad and tuna salad for tomorrow. T goes shopping for her uncle tomorrow, so I have some in containers fr him.
I have a pot of chicken soup simmering on the stove too! Just a small pot; with skinless / boneless thighs.
It's soup weather, and with 34 degrees and snow flurries, there is no cooking on the outside grill yet.

128April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:07 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I saved oil I used in a glass jar with a snap ring closure after it cooled.  With leftover oil that I need to dispose of, I put a very big squeeze of detergent in it and turn on the water so it mixes with it and makes it all water soluble, and let it go down the drain a little at a time.  I don't know if that is OK or not but they add detergent to oil spills to make them less 'oily'.

I've read you're not supposed to put it down the drain either, Norm, but I know that's what people did when I was growing up -- always with hot water so it didn't clog your pipes. I always figured it had to cool off somewhere (grin) but I didn't worry about it back then.

I think you might have something, Norm, as I know detergents help to break up oil and wash it away -- they never really "get rid" of the oil after a spill or clean it up; I've read they just break it up into smaller pieces that sink, flow onto land or cover other stuff. So it would follow I guess that breaking up the oil before puting it down the drain probably is better than just putting the oil down on its own.

The way I look at it, there should be a proper way for us to dispose of it. If you sell it to us, tell us how the heck to get rid of it once we use it.

129April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Michelle wrote:Reminds me of the original "mother's little helper" -- Geritol!!!

Jimmy wrote:Yeah!.... and don't forget "Serutan".... ( That's "Natures" spelled backwards ).

I do remember that!

130April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's soup weather, and with 34 degrees and snow flurries, there is no cooking on the outside grill yet.

Wow, Jimmy!  It was 75 here today, with partly cloudy blue, blue skies and plenty of sun between clouds with a decent breeze. We had some tall ships sailing into port this morning (we're nearing the 300th birthday of New Orleans) so Brian and I sat out on the balcony with the field glasses and enjoyed the day while waiting for them. Several people gathered on the levee to watch as well. Only one has its sails out -- gorgeous though the top sails weren't out -- but they were pretty nonetheless.  Brian would blow his stadium horn a couple of times and the guys on deck on the ships would look over and everyone around our area of the levee would be hooting, hollering and waving to them.  As they traversed the almost 45 degree left turn the river makes and headed to the cityfront docks, there were fire boats in that part of the river blowing huge cannons of water up in the air to welcome them.

Then about a half hour after the tall ships, when the Steamboat Natchez passed our house, as it does twice a day every day, Brian blew the stadium horn a couple of times and the Captain tooted his horn right back at us twice!  It was great fun and I loved it! Brian kept saying, "What a town!" one minute and "What a house!" the next Great fun and a super day to be retired, too!

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

131April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Laughed, Beth. I think I remember your saying you'd only had Minute Rice, too, and thought that was just "rice" -- and I'd never ever had Minute Rice until I was in my 30s, I rink. I think it was you, wasn't it? My mom spoke of it once when we saw an ad for it on TV and asked her why her rice took about 20 or 25 minutes. She told us it was pre-cooked rice and said she didn't care for it because it didn't absorb as much gravy as real rice.

Yes, Michelle, that was me talking about Minute Rice ~ and I found out the difference when I tried to make a chicken and rice casserole recipe I got from my aunt when I was 13 years old. She had made the casserole and I thought it was SO good, I wanted to make it for our family. Unfortunately, my casserole came out like chicken and SOUP. And what was really crappy was my mom knew I was making it and didn't say anything about Minute Rice being different from regular rice. But, hey, maybe she didn't have a clue either. I think I mentioned Mom wasn't known as the most inventive cook when I was young ~ I don't think she really enjoyed it and was happy when Dad took over the majority of the planning and cooking.

The charcoal grill is a re-make of our 'dead' Char Broil gas grill. The interior workings rusted through and the base was showing signs of falling apart, too, so it wasn't worth it to purchase another set of parts. Lyn gave us their Weber gas grill (which we haven't used yet since we both like the charcoal better). When I want to cook a whole chicken or something that takes a long time I'll use the gas. But for steaks, burgers & shrimp, which cook in minutes, charcoal flavors so much more.

132April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Niagara Visitor

Another day of no cooking for me.  Got tickets to a local wild game dinner.  The Lions Club and the Anglers and hunters Association puts on a fund raiser dinner every spring.   I am looking forward to it.  Uncle Ernie and a friend of his are coming also.  Yumm!  Will post tomorrow about what we get.

133April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Another day of no cooking for me.  Got tickets to a local wild game dinner.  The Lions Club and the Anglers and hunters Association puts on a fund raiser dinner every spring.   I am looking forward to it.  Uncle Ernie and a friend of his are coming also.  Yumm!  Will post tomorrow about what we get.
Boy, God bless that uncle Ernie. He is a moving around kind of guy.
Enjoy the dinner.

134April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good for you, Lore ~ I assume there wasn't a problem with you, a woman, purchasing tickets to your anticipated wild game dinner. I know you're going to enjoy!

135April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Actually, there was another one in a town close by which was advertised as "men only".  I toyed with crashing that one, but then found this one.  My hubby, our son and daughter-in-law have been to this one before a few years ago.

136April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some sliced pineapple leftover in the refrigerator and every time I opened the door I would see it and think, "I sure wish I had a pineapple upside down cake".

So, I made one!

I'll cut 1/4 (two pineapple rings) out for Dane and me and the rest will go down to Jeanie's ~ Kermit is a 'sweets freak' and her sister and her S/O are visiting for the month. I know it won't go to waste if it ends up there.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 04_20_11

137April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:I saved oil I used in a glass jar with a snap ring closure after it cooled.  With leftover oil that I need to dispose of, I put a very big squeeze of detergent in it and turn on the water so it mixes with it and makes it all water soluble, and let it go down the drain a little at a time.  I don't know if that is OK or not but they add detergent to oil spills to make them less 'oily'.

I've read you're not supposed to put it down the drain either, Norm, but I know that's what people did when I was growing up -- always with hot water so it didn't clog your pipes. I always figured it had to cool off somewhere (grin) but I didn't worry about it back then.

I think you might have something, Norm, as I know detergents help to break up oil and wash it away -- they never really "get rid" of the oil after a spill or clean it up; I've read they just break it up into smaller pieces that sink, flow onto land or cover other stuff.  So it would follow I guess that breaking up the oil before puting it down the drain probably is better than just putting the oil down on its own.

The way I look at it, there should be a proper way for us to dispose of it. If you sell it to us, tell us how the heck to get rid of it once we use it.  

Having lived in the country for most of my life, I have seen what oil and grease do to a septic tank.  It collects at the top and forms a crust that can't be removed easily when the tank needs to be emptied.

138April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just wait till the grease cools and either pour it or scoop it into a plastic bag and toss it into the trash.

I was trying to make a small batch of mac and cheese today. The recipe calls for cheddar, Swiss or gruyere. I had some pre-sliced Swiss and cheddar so I thought I would use that. Not a good idea at all. The stuff would not melt smoothly and the sauce looked and felt curdled. Had to toss the sauce. I waited till it cooled and poured it into a zipper bag and wiped out the pan with paper towels. Melted cheese gums up my brushes and scrubbies. Even using cold water to clean up, it gums up the works, so I wipe everything down before washing.

Yesterday we were supposed to have people start working on our roof. They came but there was some brief rain so they said they would come back today. They didn't show up. It just reinforces my belief in this quote:

"95 percent of the people in this world are basically inert. 3 percent do what they say they can do and the other 2 percent are crazy".

139April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally had the supper I've been wanting to cook for a few days. Even though I enjoy going out with friends to eat I have lots of time when I just want a particular meal and tonight was just one of those meals......

Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce.

I know, it's not for everyone. But once Dane found out it's pretty darn tasty and has almost '0' calories he's all for it.

I had a serving of the squash with just some butter and s&p before I had a small amount with the marinara. Now I'm a happy camper!

And since it was such a low calorie meal Dane was the first to reach for the pineapple upside down cake for his dessert. LOL

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 04_20_12

140April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Having lived in the country for most of my life, I have seen what oil and grease do to a septic tank.  It collects at the top and forms a crust that can't be removed easily when the tank needs to be emptied.

Boy, I've always been glad I never had to deal with a septic tank. They're whole different animals from what I'm used to, Lore. What did YOU used to do with leftover oil back then? What do you do with it now?

141April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:The charcoal grill is a re-make of our 'dead' Char Broil gas grill. The interior workings rusted through and the base was showing signs of falling apart, too, so it wasn't worth it to purchase another set of parts. Lyn gave us their Weber gas grill (which we haven't used yet since we both like the charcoal better). When I want to cook a whole chicken or something that takes a long time I'll use the gas. But for steaks, burgers & shrimp, which cook in minutes, charcoal flavors so much more.

So how did Dane remake it if the innards were rusting and the base, too, Beth?

I'm with you -- I like the flavor of charcoal. If I had tons of room and tons of money, I'd have a gas grill too but we don't have a garage or any outdoor storage so I wouldn't have any place to store backup cans of gas. Plus 1 Weber grill and 2 Weber water smokers are enough! But in warm climates, it's nice to have that gas one to do a whole chicken or something like that so you don't have to turn the oven on when it's in the 90s!

142April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Okay, I found this in the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated and immediately thought of all the dishes Imelda uses these on and was tickled to find I could actually make them in the microwave. I also thought of Beth, too, as she likes these little crunchy things as well. Brian too -- he'd like me to use them on just about anything.  

Can't wait to try making these. Also, I would have never thought of saving the oil for dressing either!

Reminds me of when I found out you could make a roux in the microwave -- changed my life, as I don't use gravy or sauce mixes and normally only use corn starch to thicken Asian dishes I make. (Not only can I make a big roux for something like gumbo a lot quicker without 30 minutes of stirring and standing, but I usually have about a half cup of roux in a ramekin in the fridge for pan sauces and the like.) Making fried shallots this easily means I will use them a lot more often; can't wait to make Brian a nice roast beef sandwich and surprise him by putting some fried shallots on it.

Fried Shallots (Microwaved)
Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, May/June 2018

3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Place shallots in medium bowl with 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat stirring and microwaving in 2-minute increments until shallots began to brown (4 to 6 minutes), then stir and microwave in 30-second increments until shallots are deep golden (30 seconds to 2 minutes).
2. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towel-lined plate; season with salt. Let drain and turn crisp, about 5 minutes, before serving.

Tips! Sprinkle on salads and sandwiches; use cooked oil in dressing.

143April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your pineapple upside down cake turned out really pretty. Lucky neighbors again. Laughed that Dane went for some after his spaghetti squash meal -- you can't blame the man!

We're going out to dinner tonight, as we're co-hosting a dinner for a good friend of ours, Pete, with my BIL, Ed. Pete's grown daughter and one of her sons, an 18 year old, came with her from Iowa, and Pete hadn't seen Shelby in years and hadn't seen his grandchild since he was really young. (Her 17-year-old bailed on the trip the day before so poor Shelby got stuck with a non-refundable ticket and the airline wouldn't let her change the name of the passenger either.) So Brian, Ed and I are taking them all out to Bon Ton. It's a super old line N.O. restaurant serving lots of seafood (steak for Brian) and you just can't get a bad meal there. Plus we knew that kid was going to eat Pete out of house and home so we figured we'd give him a break and feed everyone! The last time I saw Shelby she was in grammar school -- she's probably 40 or close to it now. Man, I'm old!!!!

We waited too long to make reservations just anywhere as last weekend was French Quarter Festival and the next two weekends are Jazz Fest -- the city is PACKED with people. But luckily Bon Ton could squeeze us in at 8:15 p.m. It's not a really big restaurant so I was thrilled to get in.

I'll fill you in on what I have tomorrow. It's probably going to be Crabmeat Au Gratin as theirs is the best I've ever had -- definitely the best in N.O. But you can make book on my getting soup and an appetizer, too. They have lots of crawfish dishes and crawfish is in season right now and are really nice this year after a slow start (the late really cold weather we had made the crawfish go back into the mud for a while; but they came out and started eating again so they fattened up! Plus the price was really high in the beginning; people here bought them anyway as big crawfish boils are something people love having). I bought a couple of pounds of peeled crawfish for the freezer already before you can't get them anymore. If it's not crawfish season, you can only purchase peeled Chinese crawfish and this Southern girl doesn't do that -- plus you can taste the difference. The flavor tastes kind of tinny and not half as good as Louisiana crawfish.

Any of you ever had crawfish before?

144April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup and sandwich tonight. Eggplant Moussaka tomorrow.
plus breaded fried eggplant.

145April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Okay, I found this in the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated and immediately thought of all the dishes Imelda uses these on and was tickled to find I could actually make them in the microwave. I also thought of Beth, too, as she likes these little crunchy things as well. Brian too -- he'd like me to use them on just about anything.  

Can't wait to try making these. Also, I would have never thought of saving the oil for dressing either!

Reminds me of when I found out you could make a roux in the microwave -- changed my life, as I don't use gravy or sauce mixes and normally only use corn starch to thicken Asian dishes I make. (Not only can I make a big roux for something like gumbo a lot quicker without 30 minutes of stirring and standing, but I usually have about a half cup of roux in a ramekin in the fridge for pan sauces and the like.) Making fried shallots this easily means I will use them a lot more often; can't wait to make Brian a nice roast beef sandwich and surprise him by putting some fried shallots on it.

Fried Shallots (Microwaved)
Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, May/June 2018

3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Place shallots in medium bowl with 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave for 2 minutes. Repeat stirring and microwaving in 2-minute increments until shallots began to brown (4 to 6 minutes), then stir and microwave in 30-second increments until shallots are deep golden (30 seconds to 2 minutes).
2. Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towel-lined plate; season with salt. Let drain and turn crisp, about 5 minutes, before serving.

Tips! Sprinkle on salads and sandwiches; use cooked oil in dressing.

Michelle, I made these.....after much trial and error. I made them on the stovetop ~ really didn't take long once you got the hang of it.

The key for me was starting the thinly sliced shallot, all nicely separated into rings and not clumped together, in COLD oil. The second tip is TAKE THEM OUT AS SOON AS THEY START TO LOOK JUST SLIGHTLY TAN. If you wait until they look brown and crisp to take them out of the hot oil they will continue cooking on the paper towels you drain them on and when you look back at them they will be BLACK. It's really a 'learn as you go' sort of garnish.

HOWEVER:::::

You missed the post where Imelda said she buys her crunchy fried onions! I just keep my jar in the refrigerator (and usually forget it's there......sigh.....) I really like them on breakfast eggs with runny yolks ~ YUM!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 04_21_10

146April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

So how did Dane remake it if the innards were rusting and the base, too, Beth?

I'm with you -- I like the flavor of charcoal. If I had tons of room and tons of money, I'd have a gas grill too but we don't have a garage or any outdoor storage so I wouldn't have any place to store backup cans of gas. Plus 1 Weber grill and 2 Weber water smokers are enough!  But in warm climates, it's nice to have that gas one to do a whole chicken or something like that so you don't have to turn the oven on when it's in the 90s!

The base was just starting to show some 'rust-through' on the back of the grill by the hinges so it's still pretty OK to use for a while ~ beats spending $$ on a cheap, thin charcoal grill. He just used some of the left-over parts to hold up a couple of the grill racks to put the charcoal on and then I still have a couple grids to grill on. I may measure the size I need for grill grates and buy a new one since the original cast iron grates are really showing wear and pitting.

We had never used a charcoal chimney starter before so Dane was REALLY impressed how well it works and how fast the charcoal gets going with just one piece of newspaper as a starter. No more lighter fluid (Ewwwwww!) and no more waiting 30 or 35 minutes for the pile of charcoal to be ready. The hardwood chunks are really the way to go ~ although it doesn't make sense to me that I'm spending $$ on 'already-burned-up-wood'......LOL

147April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

148April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Home alone today. ( Again )
TINA is up at the church working at the soup kitchen.
Supposed to have eggplant tonight. We shall see??

149April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, pretty soon we will see ..... AMAZON Gas stations;
Banks, Airlines, Sporting Goods, and a whole bunch of things! ...... Wouldn't be surprised to see AMAZON Funeral's! hahahahaha

150April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 6 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 am

NormM

NormM

Michelle, I have seen Korean BBQ sauce in grocery stores. I think it is called House of T'sang Korean Teriyaki sauce. I tried it and I think it tastes just like the one I make from scratch except when I make mine you can tell it's got fresh grated ginger. It is in a Worcestershire shaped bottle and has a black label.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum