Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's April Fool's Day AND Easter......

What's for supper? Scalloped Potatoes & Ham!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_01_11

2April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

New month opened......

3April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you Beth.
The new month is going to be a ???????????..... "L00King for different foods to make!" Tina started a list for her requests, and adding mine.

I'm L00King at her list here, and see two I would like for a change....
Rice & Beans / Bowties and cabbage / City Chicken ( ground pork and veal on skewers, and breaded and fried. Apple sauce on the side.

My list of .... Liver and onions. Plain ole Hamburgers and or Hot Dogs.
Foil pack / pouch Potatoes done on the grill.

Note!... Spaghetti is NOT on my List! hahahahaha

4April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had roasted turkey, lots of gravy (I had a big bag of turkey necks in the freezer so I browned half of them up along with the giblets in order to make a lot of gravy), Jasmine rice, homemade cranberry orange sauce (the kind with whole berries), and pearl onions in cream sauce.

It was a delicious meal and it was just the two of us, so we ate when it was ready, with no rushing to get everything together. We love just the two of us!

Brian made chocolate pudding early in the day (he makes pudding for four and puts it in two stemless wine glasses so the portions are huge!) and I took them upstairs when he was done to put them in the little fridge in the guestroom. I knew we'd be too stuffed to eat them after dinner. He also handed me a can of whipped cream that he'd bought so I brought that up too. Gotta love that stairlift!

There was no way I could finish that pudding when he decided it was time for dessert -- I think that's his gameplan when he makes those huge portions, as he knows I won't be able to eat it and then he can finish mine off, too!

The good news is Brian went to the doctor last week and he gained 10 pounds, which is wonderful. He's up to 184, still thin for someone 6'4" but a lot better than 174. His doctor was tickled pink, too. And his PSA went down again and is at its lowest since 2016. That radiation is working, as are the new cancer pills he's been on for a while now.

The radiation really helped his back pain, too, but did nothing for his hip, knee and leg pain like they'd hoped. But the stairlift has helped his mobility for sure, which is super. So we're smiling in New Orleans!

5April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I loved seeing all the pics you posted in last month's thread which I read earlier today. That was so sweet or your daughter's ex to make that detour to let Jake visit for a while, too. I cracked up when he asked what you'd made for dinner the night before -- I love a kid that likes to eat!

Torey does indeed look a lot more grown up than your last pics of her making apple roses, as did Jake. You and Dane looked good too! The last picture I saw of Dane -- I think you posted one of you both on your anniversary -- I seem to remember his hair being salt and pepper. A lot more salt this time, I see. I'm a gray hair lover so you both look good to me!

Thanks for posting all the pics for us, Beth. It's so much fun to actually see those you hear about all the time.

6April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You're very welcome, Michelle...although Dane's hair hasn't changed in 20 years.......he's just got it longer now (I think he THINKS it covers the crown.....) so it's more 'yellow', which is a problem with silver hair. I don't care what my hair looks like.....but I'd love to have my face thin out (which would mean I've lost 50 pounds!). Somehow, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

ESPECIALLY considering that I used the bananas I bought 'just-in-case' Tori wanted to eat them ~

I made banana bread......the good kind with sour cream and walnuts! So far I've not cut into either loaf. One is in the freezer and the other is on the counter top, waiting for supper to be over and the kitchen cleaned up so I can have a night time snack.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_02_10

7April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

What is April going to be???? I am going to keep repeating this every time I am near a grocery store............... "You don't need anything, your freezer needs to be emptied"  Repeat , repeat, repeat. 
I found a small package of ribs, they are in the oven right now.  It smells good and I have asparagus to go with it.

8April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think my freezer is breeding again, too, Lore! Every time I think I've made some progress on getting some space I do something stupid like buy the Beef Flap Meat from Costco and the rib eyes from Winn Dixie. And today I had to stuff and rearrange to get the one loaf of banana bread in a spot. Stupid me!

However, tonight I charcoal grilled one of the rib eye steaks.....it was SO good! So, that's my excuse for filling it up again. Even though I had the choice of the Weber gas grill or the charcoal, the choice was a no-brainer for beef as far as I was concerned. The hardwood chunks get so hot and impart just a bit of flavor on the crust of beef.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_02_11

9April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

Ribs were great, I had made a sauce using pineapple juice, chunks, some ketchup, soya sauce and just poured that over the ribs.  My 85 year old Uncle Ernie (the one where my sons and friends used to go fishing all the time) stopped by, there was enough for both of us, so no leftovers.  YEAY!

10April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How wonderful, Lore! It's always fun to share a meal.

11April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:We had roasted turkey, lots of gravy (I had a big bag of turkey necks in the freezer so I browned half of them up along with the giblets in order to make a lot of gravy), Jasmine rice, homemade cranberry orange sauce (the kind with whole berries), and pearl onions in cream sauce.

It was a delicious meal and it was just the two of us, so we ate when it was ready, with no rushing to get everything together. We love just the two of us!  

Brian made chocolate pudding early in the day (he makes pudding for four and puts it in two stemless wine glasses so the portions are huge!) and I took them upstairs when he was done to put them in the little fridge in the guestroom. I knew we'd be too stuffed to eat them after dinner. He also handed me a can of whipped cream that he'd bought so I brought that up too. Gotta love that stairlift!  

There was no way I could finish that pudding when he decided it was time for dessert -- I think that's his gameplan when he makes those huge portions, as he knows I won't be able to eat it and then he can finish mine off, too!

The good news is Brian went to the doctor last week and he gained 10 pounds, which is wonderful.  He's up to 184, still thin for someone 6'4" but a lot better than 174.  His doctor was tickled pink, too. And his PSA went down again and is at its lowest since 2016. That radiation is working, as are the new cancer pills he's been on for a while now.  

The radiation really helped his back pain, too, but did nothing for his hip, knee and leg pain like they'd hoped. But the stairlift has helped his mobility for sure, which is super.  So we're smiling in New Orleans!

Oh Boy! You surely know how to get flavorful gravy Michelle. Chicken necks. The best. Also, for spaghetti sauce. Haven't had that since I lived home, and then joined the Navy.
Mom made sauce with chicken necks and backs. It was great, but she never strained the sauce. She said,"As brother sat at the table blue faced, and dad holding him upside down to dislodge the neck bone in brothers throat!" hahahahah..... It was funny back then, and there was no Heimlich maneuver.

All mom could say, was, " I Told You to be Careful of the Bones!" No
April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ8dzrFfi693JEShcbRIk24sEXeoDnZg6xy-Qvg-nOYtRkq5ek

12April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Oh Boy! You surely know how to get flavorful gravy Michelle. Chicken necks. The best. Also, for spaghetti sauce. Haven't had that since I lived home, and then joined the Navy.

Mom made sauce with chicken necks and backs. It was great, but she never strained the sauce. She said,"As brother sat at the table blue faced, and dad holding him upside down to dislodge the neck bone in brothers throat!" hahahahah..... It was funny back then, and there was no Heimlich maneuver.

I never heard of chicken necks being used to make red sauce, Jimmy, but boy, I bet it was indeed good. I'm going to have to try that one time. Around Thanksgiving, the stores usually have really nice looking turkey necks on sale on the cheap and I bought a couple pounds of them. I brown them up really good, along with an onion I cut in half, before I start my turkey gravy in that pot. The flavor is not only good but the color of the gravy comes out so nice, too. I still have about four really good sized neck bones in the freezer for "next time."

My mom was a super cook but it seemed to me like she never made enough gravy. Of course, in her defense, the lovely things we get to choose from today like containers of chicken broth/stock, beef broth, seafood stock, etc., just weren't available to the masses back then. All her fantastic sauces and gravies were made with meat, bones and water so she was doing something right. I think that's why I make so much gravy today.

Speaking of beef broth, I just made a pot of beef stock last weekend, something I rarely do as to make it well, it takes sooo much beef and ends up being really pricey. I bought a couple of really meaty soup bones at the grocery a couple of months ago when it was really cold out and had them in the freezer. I didn't want to spend the money to buy a chuck roast, which is what I normally get to supplement the soup bone meat when making beef stock. So I bought a pound of beef stew meat to use instead. All those bones and beef usually only make a scant 2 quarts. And, of course, I put it on the simmer burner one morning after I'd scraped the congealed fat off the top and forgot it there for way too long! So I only got a quart out of it.

It tasted wonderful but it was way too much money to spend on beef and soup bones for just one quart of super beef stock. I'd planned to make beef vegetable soup but instead, I froze that quart of stock -- Brian said he was drooling it smelled so good -- and will use it for something where it will really make a difference.

I shredded the beef from the soup and mixed it with barbecue sauce for barbecue beef. Made a lot so got to freeze some of that, too, after we had barbecue beef on a bun. I've gotten much better about putting leftovers in the freezer ever since I got that FoodSaver, which was worth every penny and then some. With the problem that we're both having with pain, it's so nice to look in the freezer and pull out something that's already made and froze so nicely, whether it's red beans, meat balls, stewed chicken, gumbo, or whatever -- it's already made and just needs some defrosting and reheating and rice or pasta and a side dish and we've got a nice homemade dinner with little work to be done, you know?

I did well for a while making dinner from the meat I had in the freezer but now the freezer is packed again but this time it's full of homemade suppers in there, along with replenished chicken stock, beef stock, etc. I've also got smoked sausage in there, smoked andouille, and other things to defrost and add to the beans, gumbo, red sauce, etc., to beef up the leftovers.

13April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:You're very welcome, Michelle...although Dane's hair hasn't changed in 20 years.......he's just got it longer now (I think he THINKS it covers the crown.....) so it's more 'yellow', which is a problem with silver hair.

Try using Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless Shampoo, Beth -- that's what I use and my gray never yellows. It's great for gray or silver hair and provides shine and improve the texture of the hair while combating any yellow or brass tones. I've got Brian using it, too. They have conditioner, too, and a spray on, leave in conditioner I use instead of conditioner when I'm too lazy to put on conditioner in the shower and rinse it out. Some people find it drying but the trick is to not leave it on but a minute or so before rinsing it out. I shampoo my hair twice, too, since it's long and I still don't have a problem with it drying out my hair. I don't color my hair so I don't have to worry about sulphates, which bother treated hair I know and will dry out some peoples' hair. I've been using it for about 10 years now and love the stuff. I know it comes in a smaller bottle, too, if you want to give it a try before buying a larger bottle. I'm no shopper so I order it from Amazon, though I know it's available at those beauty supply houses many people do business with.

14April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Jhirmack is what I use. He has a similar purple 'silver-saver', but his hair is just too long to be attractive ~ that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! We've discussed it until I was blue in the face, as well as comments both our girls made ~ but it's his hair and, quite honestly, My Dear, I just don't give a damn.......

Old men can be SOOOOooooooo vain!

(To be fair, he doesn't like my short hair, but if it gets longer I start to 'drip' from the time I get up until I go to bed and that's just gross feeling.....)

15April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just a 'shout-out' to anyone who has liked Snapple Peach Tea.....

Simply Orange, the orange juice brand, has come out with a 'Simply Peach' juice that, mixed with cold tea, makes a really tasty Peach Tea. I always liked Snapple Peach Tea, as it wasn't as sweet as most purchased teas. However, it gives me horrible indigestion for some reason so I gave it up.

So now I mix my own using the Simply Peach juice and either homemade 'sun tea' or purchased, unsweetened iced tea. I like to make it 'my way', which is a large glass of ice, 3/4 filled with water and then a bit of the peach juice and a bit of the iced tea.

I don't like Southern Sweet Tea....WAY TOO SWEET for me. But I do like just a bit of sweetness. And since I found this mix I don't have nearly the problem with dehydration and leg pain I was experiencing. I'm not a huge fan of plain water, which is what I should be drinking (according to my Doc) so 'doctoring up' my large glass of filtered water with the peach flavoring and tea is just the thing for me.

16April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight was a '15-minute-meal'......

Panko breaded chicken cutlet, (mine with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce), Baked Sweet Potato & Green Beans. Easy Peasy. Quick & tasty.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_03_10

17April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I guess I will pull out the tupperware "Ham Taker" and with a knife, do some carving, being sure to not cut any fat or grizzle.
Leftover mac and potato salad.

18April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm right there with you, Jimmy.

Leftovers from Easter.....now a ham & scalloped potato casserole, along with the lima bean (favorite).

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_04_10

19April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm right there with you, Jimmy.

Leftovers from Easter.....now a ham & scalloped potato casserole, along with the lima bean (favorite).

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_04_10

L00KS Good Beth. Tina is making lima bean soup tomorrow.
My DIL loves it. I just cut the ham up so she can add it to the soup.
There was more meat on the bone, but it's a pain knifing out the good pieces. The animals can gnaw on it tonight. They are hungry from their hibernation.

All the snow is melted from the 6 inches the other day, and now we are awaiting another 2 to 4 on Saturday. Haaa!

20April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had some leftover ham, my MIL gave me 1/3 of her leftover ham to take home, yesterday I made some with it, I added canned beans, leftover corns, tomato, onion, celery, nutmeg, salt and lots of blackpepper, I added some fresh asparagus just before I served it.. the soup was so good

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Dscn9810

21April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

So often the leftover meal is better than the original!

Another colorful, beautiful meal to share with us, Imelda! Bet Dirk finished up the pot! LOL

22April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

L00KS Good Beth.  Tina is making lima bean soup tomorrow.
My DIL loves it.  I just cut the ham up so she can add it to the soup.
There was more meat on the bone, but it's a pain knifing out the good pieces. The animals can gnaw on it tonight. They are hungry from their hibernation.

All the snow is melted from the 6 inches the other day, and now we are awaiting another 2 to 4 on Saturday. Haaa!

The BONE is the best part of the ham......especially with all those extra little bits you didn't want to take the time to pare off.

No supper here tonight. (Dane just made himself a bag of microwave popcorn)

We went out for a bit lunch after his golf game with some of the neighbors. He had one of those gigantic Nathan's hot dogs and I had a huge piece of cod, pan fried (it was suppose to be a sandwich special but I ordered it without the bun). The restaurant was having a strawberry shortcake 'special' ~ for every $4.95 strawberry shortcake they sold, the entire cost plus a matching $ from the restaurant corporate office went to a local childrens' charity. That was reason enough for us BOTH to order one! LOL I was surprised Dane got one, too, but he wanted to do his share for charity......

23April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I know the bone holds the flavor, but I didn't want any too much more involvement, and as it stands.... she didn't make the soup YET! No

She did make American Goulash. A facebook recipe she found. It flushes really well!I just fried a small batch of Italian Meatballs for Tina; who was wishing for them.

I think I may have to see if the grocery store has canned Lima Bean soup. LOL

24April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lima bean soup is cooked. Had a little, and it was good.
I'll have a grilled cheese with a bowl of it tonight for supper.

25April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was a WINNER Dinner! I'm calling it a Korean BBQ Beef Bahn Mi Taco......

It's my invention and I can call it what I want! LOL

I sliced up some of the Beef Flap I got at Costco and marinated it in a tiny bit of the Korean BBQ sauce for a few hours. I made some pickled vegetables with cucumber, radish, carrot, green onion and a small red jalapeno pepper ~ all julienned very small. Then I made a pickling mixture with rice vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, sambal oleck chili paste, fish sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. The vegetables only marinated about an hour because I didn't want them to get too wilted.

I also shredded some green cabbage to have a bit of crunch in my taco.

I heated some flour tortillas, stacked on some of the grilled beef, added a bit of the cabbage and topped with the marinated vegetables.

A real fusion of cultures and really, really tasty!

Oh, I also stopped at my local Chinese restaurant and got a pint container of sticky rice ~ only ate half so it was really economical (it was $1.05 for the box of rice).

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? 04_06_10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum