Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

26 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Took the lamb roast that was going to be Easter dinner out of the freezer today.  Dinner tomorrow.  I have a recipe for a marinade/rub for it  for tomorrow.  It will be interesting, I've never made a lamb roast before............. lamb chops, lamb shish-ka-bobs- Lamb on a spit on the farm............... they were all good, I imagine the roast will be delish also.

27 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 pm

bethk

Admin
Had a late lunch with some neighbors before they head back up north.

28 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina picked me up a super sized corned beef on rye. I ate that at around 2:30 and am still full.
She had lunch at the church soup kitchen.
We will have grilled cheese and tomato later tonight for snack time.

29 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm

bethk

Admin
Even though the Korean BBQ Beef tacos were really good, it still wasn't REAL tacos......

So, to keep him from whining about it, tonight was Taco Night with guacamole.

30 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Niagara Visitor

Dinner's done, dishes in the dishwasher, some left that need hand scrubbing.  They're soaking till tomorrow morning.

Lamb roast was amazing.  I gave some of the leftovers to sis to take home.  I called Uncle Ernie, figured there was always enough for one more.  It's been a good day. 

My sis has been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.  This is her third round, and it's not good news.  It is in her spine, radiation will hopefully slow it down, but that's pretty well all we can expect.

31 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina slopped some spaghetti sauce together with 6 meatballs. It was a 5 cheese jar sauce. Ragu Brand.
We ate it...( Like two robots programmed to chew )!"
I don't know how to explain it. ? It's like, nothing we can think of to eat lately, is something we desire cook. It's like we are turning into finicky & fussy cats!

32 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 am

bethk

Admin
You just need some suggestions, Jimmy.  Try going back in the forum, maybe 3 years ago, and start looking at the pics.  I'll bet you get hungry.

I'm thinking your homemade manicotti or something will catch your eye.....

Or, go back and review May 17, 2013 and you'll find YOUR detailed cooking description of a meal you loved and have probably forgotten about:

"OK... Imelda, I can let you know exactly how I made the egg sandwich. You can vary to your own way and ingredients, but I will tell you exactly what you see on the picture. I didn't show on the light toast, but here it is:

I take hot cherry peppers (red & green ) that are Bottled wth water / vinegar from the store. B&G / or Mount Olive, or some others whatever you can get there.

I prepare those peppers way way in advance, and I eat them with everything.
I drain . tak out seeds and stems, and wash in cold water.
I cut the peppers in small 1/2 a penny pieces, and then add olive oil just to coat them well, and a couple Tbs. of water. I mince fine fine two small cloves of garlic, and mix with the peppers. The peppers will keep for months in the refrigerator. OK...Next

I add a few drops of cooking oil in a non-stick fry pan.

I add some peppers from the jar (I like to add Tbs. of peppers for one egg.

Crack the egg on top the peppers, and stir Quickly to break the yolk and to mix in with the whites of the egg. ( This gives a different taste other than scrambled or eggs over easy or over any way) You can do as you like if you wish!

I fry the egg on the one side, and when set, I flip over, and cook the other side till set.

I then add slices of mozzarella (used polly-O brand) whole milk kind. the part skim is ok too.

I flip the egg and now the mozzarella is on the bottom of the fry pan.

Do not fear! ... there is a trick so it does Not Stick!

I cook the mozzarella till you can see it browning on the edges as it Ooozes out from under the egg.

I have sliced white bread toasted very light...not too brown!

I then take the frying pan with the egg, and I take a larger pan with cool water or a shallow larger pan, and then just touc the hot fry pan on top the cool water, and right away, you will see the cheese crinkle up and cool down. Now the egg and melted cheese will flip out of the pan without sticking to the spatula or the pan.

Drop on the toast, and enjoy! .... I don't add salt because the peppers are salted when they are canned in the jars. Ooooo! So Good!

Tina does not like the hot peppers, and does not like the cheese browned.

These I make for her...( I love them too for a late night snack )

I add some drops of oil in the fry pan, and break the egg and break the yolk.
add a little salt...and then fry the egg. When cooked on both sides, I add thin slices of mozzarella to cover the egg, and then throw a tbs. of water in the pan side and cover quick. The water makes steam, and melts the mozzarella cheese.

I just put on very light toast, and we like grind fresh balck pepper on top.
OMG .... so good with the cheese... It is a un-discribable taste!"

33 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Good idea Beth.
Just like Flash Cards for food / meals.

34 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

This is just on my mind. Opening the freezer, there in front was Steak-Um minute steaks. I'll run that past Ms Tina mommy.

35 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:12 pm

bethk

Admin
I knew you'd come up with something, Jimmy!

By the way, you sure were talkative way-back-when.......

Hahahahahahaha

36 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I knew you'd come up with something, Jimmy!

By the way, you sure were talkative way-back-when.......

Hahahahahahaha

I love to talk about F O O D. Very Happy

37 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:18 pm

bethk

Admin
The other day I pulled one of my meatloafs out of the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator. I baked it in a hot oven (because I like it DONE and crispy on the outside) and then put on a seasoned ketchup glaze for the last 15 minutes. Parsley/Chive potatoes and Southern Creamed Corn.

And Michelle......THIS is for YOU!..........Beth's food "T * O * U * C * H * I * N * G" !!!
(Actually, vegetables on top of potatoes is one I like a lot)

38 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:Dinner's done, dishes in the dishwasher, some left that need hand scrubbing.  They're soaking till tomorrow morning.

Lamb roast was amazing.  I gave some of the leftovers to sis to take home.  I called Uncle Ernie, figured there was always enough for one more.  It's been a good day. 

My sis has been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.  This is her third round, and it's not good news.  It is in her spine, radiation will hopefully slow it down, but that's pretty well all we can expect.

My SIL also was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in her spine a few months ago. They zapped the spot with x-rays and now she is taking some kind of experimental treatment. She will have to be on it the rest of her life. She also wears a fentanyl patch on her spine. God Bless them both.

39 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Bugster2

It got to 95 today. Hot. I have been trying out various clam chowder recipes this week. I make the base and see if I like the taste without wasting clams if it tastes bad. I have thrown out all except one which was good. Still haven't finished my testing though. Joe brought home a container of his favorite clam chowder. I took one taste and immediately knew it was canned soup of some kind that had been adulterated with the restaurants own additions. Once you start cooking a lot, it is funny how sophisticated your taste becomes and you just know when something is canned.

40 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The Jhirmack is what I use.  He has a similar purple 'silver-saver', but his hair is just too long to be attractive ~ that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!  We've discussed it until I was blue in the face, as well as comments both our girls made ~ but it's his hair and, quite honestly, My Dear, I just don't give a damn.......

Old men can be SOOOOooooooo vain!

(To be fair, he doesn't like my short hair, but if it gets longer I start to 'drip' from the time I get up until I go to bed and that's just gross feeling.....)

I really laughed reading this, Beth! Brian is a good looking man but I had to mention to him a couple of months ago that I would really appreciate it if he'd shave every day! He laughed and asked if it bothered me when he didn't shave and I told him he wasn't as attractive when he didn't shave and that he looked so much older too. He laughed but he started shaving every day again! It's easy 'cause years ago, he had to stop using a blade razor because of the blood thinner he takes -- it kept leaving red patchy marks on his face and his cardiologist told him that he'd told him years ago to use an electric razor. So I bought him a super duper expensive electric shaver that he loved. Which leads me to how easy it is, as he can leave that thing on his bedside table for days out of the charger; he can sit in bed and shave while he watches the news in the morning and enjoys the coffee I serve him in bed every morning!!!

His hair isn't as curly as it used to be and of course, it has thinned out considerably. So if he doesn't get a hair cut about every 3 weeks or so, it lays flat on his head and is pretty flyaway. He was really dressing like a slob until about six months ago, too -- granted, his clothes were too big but I caught him a bunch of times leaving the house with a sweatshirt or a polo on that he'd obviously spilled something on the front of and I'd stop him. He reminded me of my mom when he said, "Honey, I'm old. No one gives a chit how I look!" To which I responded, "Well, I sure do. And you're not going out of the house looking like an old drunk, as that's what you look like in dirty clothes!" He laughed when I suggested he go ahead and pee in his pants so he can REALLY look like an old geezer but I guess it struck home.

He's cute, too, as when he comes home from the doctor, he'll sometimes say, "Hey, honey, I got told how nice i look 3 times today. I told them what I always say: My wife dresses me nice, doesn't she?" But you can tell he likes looking good. No way am I heading into the end stage of this life without looking the best I can -- and if I have anything to do with it, Brian is going to look good until his time comes, too! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

But I bought him some new clothes a while back, got suspenders and had the tailor sew the suspender buttons into most of his pants and also bought him a type of suspenders that hook on to the back of a belt so you can wear them with pants without any buttons. He pulled up his pants from the back constantly for years as with no rear end, they inched down constantly. Now that he has a bit of trouble with "dropping" one foot, I was worried he was going to trip and break a darn hip! His pain doctor recommended a brace that goes under his problem foot and up his leg and seals on with Velcro. Before he got it, I told him not to bother if he had no plans to wear it and then, of course, I had to harass him constantly to wear it for months. Now he wears it willingly, as I reminded him all his falls have been lucky so far but once he broke a hip, we'd have to sell this house. That's the best thing I could've said. Now he even wears them outside of his jeans, as they're too small around the ankle to fit over the top of the brace.

You can tell that he REALLY likes looking better now, too. I didn't say a word about the new jeans I bought him with the trimmer legs and more fitted in the hips (he's got no butt at all!) but he looks sooooo much better -- and he actually LIKED the style of the jeans. He's still a handsome man so I'm glad he is dressing nice again and shaving most days. Heck, I dress nice every day though I admit I usually don't put on a full face of makeup unless I'm leaving the house -- but I dress decently, take care of my skin and hair and he always comments on how nice I look, so I don't feel bad wanting him to look nice, too!

41 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Tonight was a WINNER Dinner!  I'm calling it a Korean BBQ Beef Bahn Mi Taco......

It's my invention and I can call it what I want!  LOL

I sliced up some of the Beef Flap I got at Costco and marinated it in a tiny bit of the Korean BBQ sauce for a few hours.  I made some pickled vegetables with cucumber, radish, carrot, green onion and a small red jalapeno pepper ~ all julienned very small.  Then I made a pickling mixture with rice vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, sambal oleck chili paste, fish sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. The vegetables only marinated about an hour because I didn't want them to get too wilted.

I also shredded some green cabbage to have a bit of crunch in my taco.

I heated some flour tortillas, stacked on some of the grilled beef, added a bit of the cabbage and topped with the marinated vegetables.

A real fusion of cultures and really, really tasty!

Oh, I also stopped at my local Chinese restaurant and got a pint container of sticky rice ~ only ate half so it was really economical (it was $1.05 for the box of rice).

God, Beth -- that looks divine! I could almost taste it as honestly, it made my mouth water!

42 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:We had some leftover ham, my MIL gave me 1/3 of her leftover ham to take home, yesterday I made some with it, I added canned beans, leftover corns, tomato, onion, celery, nutmeg, salt and lots of blackpepper, I added some fresh asparagus just before I served it.. the soup was so good

Yet another mouth-watering dish, Imelda. You and Beth are making me hungry.

We've got turkey, andouille and oyster gumbo I'm going to eat again tonight but I'm sure Brian will want something else as we've had it two nights already. Turned out so good. I made the turkey stock from the carcass we had from Easter and I simmered it for two days. I smelled that stock so long I just had to make some gumbo. Plus I had no places big enough in the freezer to hold a bunch of stock. BUT I had some andouille in the freezer and Brian stopped and picked up a pint of oysters for me and it really turned out to be a perfect day for me to make it as a storm had gone through in the early morning and our weather was cold, humid as all get out and windy. My Yankee husband bundled up like it was freezing outside before he headed out on an errand. He knew I was smiling at how bundled up he got before he left and made me laugh when he came home and said, "Hey, I saw a LOT of old ladies while I was out who had just as much clothes on as I did. One even had a scarf around her head!" We were both howling in laughter as I sometimes tell him, "You'd think you were an old lady how cold you THINK it is!" One thing never in short supply around our house is laughter, which is always a good thing. Razz Very Happy Smile Rolling Eyes

43 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Crybaby

Beth, I'm just loving that newsletter you started sending out. Brian leaned over and laughed when he saw his favorite in there this morning when I opened it up -- Madge's Damn Good Brisket!  Of course, it led to brisket talk again. I should see one soon on sale or at least a smaller one that's not outrageously priced like the last one I saw. I really should join Costco but I know we wouldn't go vey often...

Okay, I'll talk food for a change today. Jimmy, go get your drink and settle in!

When I made turkey stock last weekend, I had separated the white meat from the dark and froze the dark for gumbo eventually. Brian enjoyed turkey sandwiches on a bun for lunch a couple of times, as I had a lot of leftover gravy ( Very Happy ) so I heated up the slices of white turkey meat in the gravy. Then the rest of the leftover gravy just got added to the big pot of turkey stock on my simmer burner on the stove -- love that thing on my stove, which I'm STILL enjoying like it was brand new instead of almost 2 years old! He had his homemade cranberry sauce on the side and I had mine on my sandwich. I make a lot of that when I make it as we both like it a lot, and it holds so well in the fridge since it has that Cognac in it. So we'll have cranberry orange sauce available in the fridge for a while but it compliments almost any meat when you think of it. And it jazzes up a sandwich, too.

Another thing we had last week was a club sandwich minus the third piece of bread. I had a couple of nice ripe tomatoes, lots of leftover roast turkey meat and I made some of the best bacon we'd had in a while. It was our regular brand -- we most often buy Bar S but sometimes Oscar Mayer -- but it was a tad thicker and didn't have all the fat it normally does even though it wasn't the thick sliced type. Those sandwiches were to die for.  Neither of us had had a club sandwich for a while and we remembered why we like them so much!

I also made some homemade tomato soup (I posted the recipe here before -- simple to make, just chop an onion and dump the cans of stuff in along with some dry sherry and heavy cream added at the end). He usually makes the grilled cheese sandwiches on the stovetop griddle but I made them for a change. He loved them as I used pepper jack cheese and sliced tomato, and served pepperoncini on the side. Boy, nothing like tomato soup with a grilled cheese, and Brian was dunking away.  I'm no dunker but I sure enjoyed the combo of soup and sandwich.

This week we're going to have Sicilian Round Steak, which is something an old boyfriend's brother made for us over 40 years ago. You just section a couple of round steaks, removing the fat, and hammer the heck out of them. Then I brown them really well in a Dutch oven, add a couple of cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes that I break up one at a time in my hand over the pot, add in about three minced garlic cloves, about a half teaspoon of dry mustard and a teaspoon of dried oregano leaves which I always pinch between my fingers before using. Just mix all that up, put a top on and simmer that on low for about one hour. I've never been a big fan of round steak but I just love it prepared like this. My friend's brother told me it was a Craig Claiborne recipe he got out of the NY Times -- it was so simple to make that I actually remembered what he told me he'd done. You add some fresh parsley to the top when finished. I usually make penne pasta with it and sauce some of the pasta and then put extra sauce on top of the pasta one I serve it. The sauce just clings to the pieces of meat. Super with grated Romano on top, too. This time I'm going to use that imported pappardelle pasta we like so much -- if you haven't tried it, you really ought to. Takes a lot longer to cook than regular pasta; the package says 9 minutes but I usually find I have to cook it a full 11 minutes to get it al dente.  Here's a picture of the bag:

Brian likes round steak a lot more than I do. He likes when I make it like my Dad did -- except I hammer the meat first, cut the fat off and then make some slices about 1/2-inch thick and a couple of inches long (about the size of beef in a dish from a Chinese restaurant). I brown the heck out of the meat, then remove it from the pan and add some chopped onion, minced or sliced garlic, and sliced celery. Once that has cooked down and softened a bit, I add a tablespoon or so of flour on top of everything and cook the flour about 5 minutes. I've found adding the flour like this is a lot easier to do than flouring the meat like I used to do prior to browning it. I still get the fond in the bottom of the pan from just browning the meat in some olive oil and if I have to do a couple of batches when I floured the beef, I've found the fond sometimes getting too dark and almost burning as I like the beef really browned. So I started browning the meat "bald" and then adding the flour to the partially cooked aromatics. As long as you cook the flour for a bit, it tastes exactly the same and I don't have to worry about burning the flour from the floured meat in the pan. After I've cooked the flour, I add my beef broth (if it's not homemade beef stock, I usually use chicken stock and then later on add a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base or the Beef Au Jus Base -- I've never found a package of beef stock that I really liked the flavor of though I recently read that Cook's Illustrated rated Rachel Ray's the best commercially available; I've never seen it in a store though) and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of red wine for more flavor. I universally use thyme leaves (crushed!) in just about every dish we make along with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper unless it's an Italian dish when I switch out the thyme for some oregano and a bit of Italian seasoning.  Again, you simmer the round steak pieces about an hour with the top on.  Fresh parsley and fresh thyme leaves if I have them go in the pot right before I serve it. My father LOVED that though he didn't pound the round steak -- I find it too chewy and tough unless it's pounded prior to use. Brian loves this dish too and acts like I've made a holiday meal whenever I make it!   I don't buy round steak as often as I used to as just like other beef, it's gone way up in price the last couple of years. But I saw it reasonably priced a while back so I bought a couple of packages of it and froze each large piece of round by itself after sealing it in the Food Saver -- it won't take long for me to defrost each one if I freeze them separately. And they fit like playing cards in the freezer, too, so I can always squeeze them in there!

We're also going to have some hamburgers this week, which are defrosting in the fridge. The grocery we go to, Rouse's, has a case of food they've prepared in their kitchen for you to cook at home -- things like stuffed chickens with various stuffings, stuffed pork tenderloins, stuffed pork chops, stuffed bone-in chicken breasts, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp patties, meatloaf, etc. They've got a pretty good kitchen, too, and we've never been disappointed whenever we've tried a couple of their items. They also make up 1/2 pound hamburgers they sell in two-packs which vary. Our favorite is when the meat mixture contains bacon, jalapeno and cheese -- all of those things are finely ground up so there are no recognizable pieces of the ingredients and it looks just like ground meat. But the flavor they impart is absolutely delicious. They cost $5 for two of them, but they're a half pound each so I don't think that's a bad price as they use good ground meat as well -- must be 80/20 as they're just fatty enough and you've GOT to have some fat in a really good burger. They come out really nice cooked on the griddle or in a cast iron pan and I brown the big seeded hamburger buns in the broiler and throw on a couple pieces of cheese on each one, sometimes cheddar, and often provolone or just plain ol' American cheese. Boy are they good. I never used to buy a single premade item but as we've gotten older and don't have the usual "oomph" every day anymore, we're more amenable to trying things like that. I serve them with thinly sliced onion and if we've got a nice tomato, I'll add a slice of tomato and lettuce to each one, too. I often wish I'd caramelized some onions to put on top but I never seem to remember to do it until the burgers are ready to be cooked.

I now make this "book" even longer... I was watching The Kitchen recently on the Food Network channel and saw where Sunny Anderson makes caramelized onions in the slow cooker.  I'm going to slice up a couple of onions on the mandolin and throw them in the slow cooker early one morning. Here's what she said to do: Toss the 4 thinly sliced onions with 2 Tablespoons of canola oil and cook on low in a slow cooker for 10 hours. For darker, crispier onions, she leaves them uncovered for another hour. I could start these one morning when I go down to get our coffee and they'd be ready right around dinnertime. Who knows but I may even try to get them started tomorrow. Brian's often still snoozing on and off when I head downstairs to get the coffee (one of us sets up the pot for auto-brew the night before so it's ready when I get downstairs), something for him to munch on for a light fattening breakfast, and a bottle of Boost or Carnation's Breakfast Essentials, along with a big glass of Crystal Lite for him and an iced coffee for me. Sunny said she tries to stir the onions in the slow cooker about every hour but that it's not really that important. Sounds easy enough and a good way to have some caramelized onions in a container in the fridge to add to dishes you're cooking or throw on a sandwich. Anything that keeps me from standing at the stove to stir something periodically is a real blessing.

Anyone still awake out there after reading all this?

44 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

bethk

Admin
I got a chicken breast out to thaw and then opened the pantry to rearrange and tidy things up (WHO keeps moving cans around so the labels aren't facing front???) because I can't find anything I want when I want it. I swear, SOMEONE in this house just goes into the pantry and turns the can of PAM around, even though it's still sitting at the front edge of the shelf, just so HE can watch as I struggle to find the yellow & red TALL can ~ and I stand there looking and looking until I realize it's just not facing so the 'PAM' letters show.

Anyway, I digress......when I was in the pantry I found a can of water chestnuts and a can of pineapple slices ~ and suddenly I wanted Sweet & Sour Pork. I mean, that's all I could think of. The chicken breast will be fine tomorrow sitting in the refrigerator. I got out a couple pieces of the pork shoulder steaks and thawed them slightly in the microwave before cutting them up & discarding the fat.

And supper was exactly what my mouth was hungry for! I know my version of Sweet & Sour Pork, based on the recipe in my ancient red gingham Better Homes & Gardens loose leaf cookbook, isn't even remotely like a REAL sweet & sour pork. But it's what I like and what I've been making and serving since the 1960's! I like the flavors, I love the colors.....it's comfort food to me.

45 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Dinner's done, dishes in the dishwasher, some left that need hand scrubbing.  They're soaking till tomorrow morning.

So sorry to hear about your sister, Lore. I think you told us she was ill before but I hadn't realized it was metastatic and in her bones. She'll be added to my prayers, as will you. Is she your younger sister? Was it just the two of you or did you have more siblings? I often envy your meals out with your sister. Wish I'd have been close to my sister...

I feel kind of stupid asking about the lamb now but I wondered what cut your lamb roast was. I take it that it wasn't a leg of lamb but wondered what kind of lamb roast was available in Canada. LOVE lamb. Brian always told me he didn't like it but recently said he may not have ever had it (smile). No one in my family liked lamb except my father and I. He'd buy a leg of lamb and we'd cook it together and then know that we could help ourselves to all of it!!! I think I should start Brian with thick loin lamb chops that I can brown heavily and make nice and crispy for him. Mmm! cheers

46 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:11 pm

bethk

Admin
Michelle, it's so good to have you back!

My Kindle is in need of charging and I don't have a book to read right now so it was great to read YOU.

LOL

By the way, I think the 'who-knows-who' of the forum sent that newsletter out, or maybe it was Facebook.....I had nothin' to do with it. Way too technical for me, believe me!

47 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina slopped some spaghetti sauce together with 6 meatballs. It was a 5 cheese jar sauce. Ragu Brand.
We ate it...( Like two robots programmed to chew )!"
I don't know how to explain it. ?  It's like, nothing we can think of to eat lately, is something we desire cook. It's like we are turning into finicky & fussy cats!

I presume you two have cookbooks, right Jimmy? Why not get out one of your favorites and just page through it. You might see something you haven't made in ages. Or decide if you want beef, chicken, pork or whatever. Then Google "Favorite beef recipes," or chicken recipes, or "Best beef recipes," and go from there. You don't actually have to use one of those recipes unless you see something that appeals to you but it might prompt some ideas.

Why don't you two make some homemade perogies? Would you believe I've never even tasted a perogie? I told that to Al (a/k/a my cabana boy thanks to Beth) recently and he was stunned. He's originally from New Jersey and told me he was going to make some perogies and bring them over so I could try a good one. I recently saw the grocery is carrying ones that are prepared by a national company and in the case ready for cooking -- they had them in the store near the filled raviolis sold with mushroom filling or 4 cheese fillings, etc. I told Al I was going to buy a package but he insisted I wait for him to make me some. I'm still waiting for them....

You haven't spoken of Braciole lately. Why don't you two work together and make some dynamite Braciole? Go to the store and buy some of that imported Galoforo pappardelle I'm always talking about to have with it. Start with a spinach salad with a nice warm bacon dressing and don't forget a loaf of bread to make garlic bread with. Gotta have garlic bread with your Italian dinner. While you're at the store picking up your fresh spinach and the pasta and bread, get some gelato for dessert. Or stop by one of those places Tina gets goodies from and pick up canolis for dessert!

Anything ring a bell with you yet? I hope so!

48 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Crybaby

Beth wrote:You just need some suggestions, Jimmy. Try going back in the forum, maybe 3 years ago, and start looking at the pics. I'll bet you get hungry.

I'm thinking your homemade manicotti or something will catch your eye.....

Great minds think alike, Beth. You and I were on the very same wavelength! Jimmy, I loved when you said Beth's idea was like flash cards!!!!

Please let us know what you and/or Tina decide to prepare, as we want to know what finally tickled your fancy.

49 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:And Michelle......THIS is for YOU!..........Beth's food   "T * O * U * C * H * I * N * G" !!!
(Actually, vegetables on top of potatoes is one I like a lot)

50 Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I got a chicken breast out to thaw and then opened the pantry to rearrange and tidy things up (WHO keeps moving cans around so the labels aren't facing front???) because I can't find anything I want when I want it. I swear, SOMEONE in this house just goes into the pantry and turns the can of PAM around, even though it's still sitting at the front edge of the shelf, just so HE can watch as I struggle to find the yellow & red TALL can ~ and I stand there looking and looking until I realize it's just not facing so the 'PAM' letters show.

I know JUST what you went through, as I do it, too. Brian has a deadly case of it as it just forgets to read any labels at all -- he just GRABS!!

Beth wrote:And supper was exactly what my mouth was hungry for! I know my version of Sweet & Sour Pork, based on the recipe in my ancient red gingham Better Homes & Gardens loose leaf cookbook, isn't even remotely like a REAL sweet & sour pork. But it's what I like and what I've been making and serving since the 1960's! I like the flavors, I love the colors.....it's comfort food to me.

I made YOUR version of Sweet & Sour Pork (well, almost your exact version) and it was a thousand times better than that orange sickly sweet version most Chinese restaurants serve. I won't even let Brian order it unless it's a special occasion. If he orders that nasty dish, I order a lovely seafood dish for myself -- and we'd both rather have two dishes we can share!  He loved yours, too. And it tasted a lot like the restaurant version but just not cloyingly sweet and not that nasty color either!  It's a winner that we were just speaking of making again the other day.

cheers cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum