Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 18]

151JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Imelda...?? Nice doggies in the blanket.
What kind of dough is that you used??....Did you make bread dough? They came out so nice and flakey. I want them soon! Piggy Me! Ooops! Did you cook the sausages first??

thank you Jimmy... I made the dough from scratch, using sweet roll recipe , I was thinking to use Parker house rolls recipe but changed my mind, I like more butter in my bread dough Very Happy and I did not cook my sausages first, I used Oscar Mayer wieners.. and our nieces love them

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup sugar ( I used 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
3 cups APF
2 tsp yeast

152JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Here is my recipe for carnitas

Tacos de carnitas
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Packaged tortillas are fine, but even better are freshly made corn tortillas found in some supermarkets or Latino markets.
4 1/2 pounds pork butt
6 cups water
1 1/2 onions, diced
7 strips orange zest
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
24 small corn tortillas, warmed
Finely chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, salsa or hot sauce
1. Chop thick fat from the outside of the pork butt. Cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Discard any cubes that are pure fat. Combine pork with the 6 cups water, onions, orange zest, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and cloves in a large pot. Heat to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Skim any scum that forms on the surface. Simmer until meat is very soft and falling apart, adding more water if necessary to keep the meat submerged, about 1 1/2 hours.
2. Season with salt. Heat to a gentle boil; cook until the water has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Cook a little longer to fry the meat slightly, watching carefully to prevent burning. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Place meat in a fine strainer; push gently with a wooden spoon to remove any excess fat. Discard the fat; pull meat apart with forks, if necessary. Fold a few tablespoons of carnitas inside each tortilla; top each with cilantro, onion and salsa.

add sliced radish

AND here is the recipe I used today

BBQ Pork Butt

Injection marinade

1/3 C. apple juice
1/3 C. white grape juice
1/4 C. sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

Inject every inch, let set overnight.

Pork Butt Dry rub

4 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cumin
pinch ground ginger

Place in smoker and smoke @ 250º to 225º until done to 190º. Smoke for 2 hours, paint with apple juice, wrap in foil and continue cooking until done.

I'm going to cook carnitas today.. I think it once with your recipe too.. I have pork butt thawing in my fridge, still had no idea what to cook, now I know what I'm going to do with it Very Happy

153JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD and the GS asked for tacos tonight. Glad I already had the prepared seasoned cooked meat in the freezer. Just have to cut up some lettuce and tomatoes. We won't have any guacamole but that's OK for once.

I did end up making a sour cream peach pie. I sure hope it tastes as good as it smells ! Boy, it's been years since I've make one.

154JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Imelda...?? Nice doggies in the blanket.
What kind of dough is that you used??....Did you make bread dough? They came out so nice and flakey. I want them soon! Piggy Me! Ooops! Did you cook the sausages first??

thank you Jimmy... I made the dough from scratch, using sweet roll recipe , I was thinking to use Parker house rolls recipe but changed my mind, I like more butter in my bread dough Very Happy and I did not cook my sausages first, I used Oscar Mayer wieners.. and our nieces love them

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1    large egg
1/4 cup sugar ( I used 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
3 cups APF
2 tsp yeast

Thank You ever so much! My Daughter looked and said,"Daddy, that is Pillsbury dough in the blue tube!"
I said,"No No dolly!" ... They puffed up too nice to be Blue Tube Dough!.
Oh! and BTW...The Oscar Meyer Weiners are fabulous.
If I do use pork sausage though, I would have to par cook / brown the links first to make it safe to eat.

155JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK... Imelda you have a place in my recipe home cooking file.

I named it... " IMELDA'S WEINER DOUGH!"

156JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Italian style fried breaded steak.
I cut it in wedges, and cooked them in the electric skillet.

Tina made a great meat sauce for GD, and elbows.

I just ate the steak and cole slaw from the Kentucky Fried Chicken place. I love their coleslaw.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Q7kh

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 D8oj

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Yjhr

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 H7rt

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 43lh

157JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 60789

pile of wings. geek 

158JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Cassie made chili rellenos, refried beans and salsa. I made a strawberry, lettuce & cheese salad with pecans and some snow peas.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

159JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I hope I feel better by late afternoon so I can make the stuffed peppers I had planned. I pre cooked the meat yesterday. so half will go to that & the other half for taco salad.

160JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm so hungry for wings....gee, I wonder why???

I haven't any idea what will be for supper. I don't feel like cooking and I'm pooped from schlepin' stuff around.

I do know I have to make a chocolate cream pie for the kid. Since he doesn't like fruit he didn't even taste the one I made yesterday. But I did make a crust in anticipation of making a pie for him.

161JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It just reached 90 degrees at 12:43 PM.
Tina went to the PO and brought back breakfast burrito's from Donalds Mac . They were good. For a Buck each..no muss no fuss.
I have no clue for supper unless I make Taco's.Meat.
I have soft shells... If Not... Take out Pizza... GD has to start work at 5 so that rips a big one.

162JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I hope I feel better by late afternoon so I can make the stuffed peppers I had planned. I pre cooked the meat yesterday. so half will go to that & the other half for taco salad.

You sick kid?? Feel better ...
I was outside checking the TinaMobile for her trip to PA tomorrow.
The heat gave me an upset tummy. Gotta Drink more water.

163JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing came home from work and went in to lie down. I called his coworker and said he's not returning today. We are suppose to be getting a cooling trend with nasty storms by Saturday...but it's OK if this oppressive heat ends for a while. I'm tired of living inside with the shades drawn, but it does help so the a/c isn't running nonstop.

164JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally decided to grill some nice center cut bone-in pork chops with just s&p seasoning. I started some potToes in the microwave for a few minutes and then let them finish cooking on the low side of the grill. Oh, and some Penzey seasoned green beans.

And since the 10-yr. old whined at his grandma there was a chocolate cream pie with a nice thick covering of Cool Whip on top.

165JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 28162_4973073052042_34221636_n

well no stuffed peppers. To much trouble when I don't feel good.

steak is fast.slice tomato, stuffed mushrooms.

166JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara, that is an extremely lovely plate. You may feel like crap but it sure doesn't show in the meal you just prepared. And besides that, it's a super healthy choice to get you back on track. Nice job.

167JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 28162_4973073052042_34221636_n

well no stuffed peppers. To much trouble when I don't feel good.

Poor Barbara!
You better drink some of that Kickapoo Joy Juice kid.

I made 2 nice BLTC... Bacon lettuce Tomato and Cheese, on toast. They were actually small bread slices.
Had them with My Hot Peppers in oil and garlic. Then the leftover container of KFC Cole slaw.

Tina made a Lemon Chiffon Pie. It's ready now in the reefer, but I'm gonna wait till after I shower and set in front of the kitchen TV to enjoy it. Wink 

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Xgsm

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Tt0z

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Sw9

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Ybyf

168JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:09 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

This was a while ago.Ppl treat them self to ice cream or other sweets,me I want a potato,

I'm with you. I'd much rather have some more carbs (pasta, rice and gravy, potatoes, etc.) than dessert. In fact, I try to think of carbs AS dessert when I'm serving myself.

169JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thst looked delicious, Barb, even down to the basil leaves!

170JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

thank you guys.I feel better today. I have no clue why I felt bad.

Maggie sure is feeling her oats.She acts just like she did when a pup. I swear she is driving me crazy.She is jumping on Molly & wants to play. She is jumping on me. She gets right up in my face & stares at me then sits back on her butt & does that pattycake thing with her paws.She drags everything around that she get hold off & plays with it cuz Molly won't play with her.She trys to upset the sleeping cat in her bed lol She, right now this very minute is in there tearing up the sofa pillows.lol

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 2855670339 

171JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:56 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

gosh I love KFC cole slaw too. hummmmmm..tongue 

172JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, you all have me going today.....

I've been hungry for wings since Barb had hers so I finally had a chance to go to the store to get some frozen ones to toss on the grill, and they were on SALE! Yea!

But, to keep it moving, on the way home I suddenly saw the KFC sign and the car just turned on its own and right into the drive thru lane....well, as long as I was there I had to order something so I asked for a large container of their slaw. And it's all your fault!

I think I'll just put some potato chunks on the grill to finish off my meal, and probably warm up the leftover beans from last night.

173JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success!  The wings were browned and rendered and then rolled around in some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and caramalized just shy of black - completely cooked but not so brown as to be dried out.  The coleslaw was just the right touch, as were the potato chunks, slices of par cooked potatoes drizzled with evoo, s&p and browned on the grill.  The final side was broccoli cooked in the microwave for 3 minutes.    

The last of the peach and the chocolate pies were dessert for any who wanted it.

174JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 3834c00c8c6e58ff46290e85cb38e44f

stuffed red pepper.

175JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We ended up with beef smoked brats on buns, the Southern style mayacoba beans topped with fresh chopped onion and cornbread muffins. WOW....I just realized our meal was 99.9% carb. It was tasty even though not the best choice, for sure. But I have been hungry for the slow cooked beans for a week or so. Now I'll have to see if the beans freeze well because I definitely won't want it a few days in a row.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum