Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 18]

126JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 CITYCHICKEN1_zps835b7dd0HERE is the Sunday Supper today.

Had troubles with pics on image shack photo site...had to creep back to P- Bucket.

City Chicken 1/2 pork...1/2 Veal

Asparagus Canned one. Tina likes soft and well well well done veggies.

Mashed taters...and I ate mine with applesauce.
Usually we always eat with applesauce for these beauties, but Tina was not ready to challenge the looking for the applesauce in the WAY OVERDUE Time to clean out the refridge.
I DRAGGED IT OUT OVER THE 13 STICKY JELLY JARS. Grrrrrrrrr!!

2 for $6.00 for the doughnuts. hahahaha...One box for the right hand, and one box for the left hand. Two in the mouth, and what's it all about?

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 CITYCHICKEN3_zps15be0ed8

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 CITYCHICKEN2_zpsc1f93135

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 CITYCHICKEN4_zps61fbda81

127JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 2453703928  Thank you for your thought Beth.. he is much better and went home earlier today..  my BIL and her 2 girls are coming to visit from OR, so we are going back there to see them tomorrow..

today I made smoked salmon, learning from the TV show Cooks Country.. I brushed my salmons with salt and sugar then let them cure ( is that what it calls?) for 2 hours in my fridge, then my DH smoked them in our wood grill.. it tastes so good but the big cuts ( whole fillet) does not look good, I was going to bring some tomorrow but I changed my mind, it fell a part, so I'm thinking to flake it and make some salmon casserole..

and I made some sausage rolls for the girls tomorrow
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 266346835 

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 DSCN7270

the thicker cut.. looks so beautiful, and it tastes so yummy too

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 12

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 11

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 15

Imelda...?? Nice doggies in the blanket.
What kind of dough is that you used??....Did you make bread dough? They came out so nice and flakey. I want them soon! Piggy Me! Ooops! Did you cook the sausages first??

128JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lookie!!!
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Rsy8

Just Got Mine Today!!

Tina picked them up today. DD and BF were over for 10 minutes, and in 2 minutes, there are 4 left in the box out of 10.

I like the Yodels and Ring Dings ( Drakes Cakes ). Can't wait for them to come back...

129JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only Hostess product I can say I miss, although not right now, are the little coconut crunch cake donuts. A cool fall day, a mug of steaming hot chocolate and a pile of those little donuts to dunk in - gotta get 'em out before they are too soaked and fall to the bottom of your mug!

Supper tonight was a treat for the 10 yr. old - creamed ham on toast. He just loves the stuff and it is such a quick and easy meal I thought I'd make it just to see him smile. I also blanched some pea pods and then reheated in a pan I sauted some shallot in....just a spin on my usual side dish of green peas with the creamed ham.

130JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara, your salmon patties (love them but Brian doesn't eat fish) are magazine-worthy pretty. Mmm Mmmm Mmmm!

131JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, your smoked salmon did indeed look divine.  I might get some thick filets for Brian to smoke for me. Thanks for letting us kow how you did it.  

Brian doesn't like potatoes unless they're crispy, crispy, crispy.  I had some russet potatoes left after I made corned beef hash so I decided to try something on the grill with the potatoes.  I cut them in chunks (didn't peel them and the chunks were about 1/2-inch cubes) and then parboiled them for about 10 minutes.  Then I mixed olive oil, salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic and fresh rosemary together and mixed the tomatoes in that.  Then I put them in a roasting pan and had him put the pan on the hot grill (he put the coals on each side so it was an indirect fire).  Instead of stirring them, I used the spatula upside down to stir them up every 15 minutes or so and also spun the pan around.  They got super crispy and even had some little "burnt" pieces that broke off. The man went crazy over them.  I even bought a 5-lb. bag of russet potatoes the other day -- something I NEVER do unless a holiday is coming and I'm making roasted garlic mashed potatoes.  Brian asked me last night to make them again so the next time he grills something (tomorrow), I will make another batch. God, we really enjoyed them!

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 am; edited 2 times in total

132JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 1069294_4953744488840_1207468618_n

seems like I eat the same thing over & over.

grilled salmon, with fried green maters gone bad lol. they broke apart but heck I sure ate them.

133JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I could eat at your house any night, B, and I'd be happy to have that same meal over and over again, too. JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 3921676023 

134JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 IMG_2785

ok ok I am so bad. But IF I am going to eat a potato it might as well be a good one.

This was a while ago.Ppl treat them self to ice cream or other sweets,me I want a potato,

135JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

In agree, Barb......but I see TWO HOT POTATOES!!!

But if anyone knows whether she can treat herself and be OK, it's you. But if I lived next door you better believe I would have saved you from eating those nasty fried green tomatoes. Yes siree....I would have made that personal sacrifice and snatched every last bite right off your plate as a special service to you. LOL

136JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol I just ate one. next day I ate the other one for lunch.

oh I ate those messed up fried Green T..JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 3326752767 

137JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby, I do potato packets on the grill all the time. Cube raw potato, maybe some onion, usually a nice cubanelle sweet pepper, drizzle with evoo, s&p and seal in a strip of nonstick foil.....BE CAREFUL OF THE EDGES, IT IS SHARP! By sealing the foil the potatoes steam cook, then let em sit on the coals and they will get crispy in that pack....but the nonstick allows them to fall right out when you open it and pour into a dish. The cubanelle almost melts from the steam heat and just coats and flavors the potatoes.

Another thing I like to do is par cook for a minute or two in the microwave and then cut into 2" rounds, brush or dip in oil and brown on the hot grill. By leaving them thick they stay soft on the inside and crispy all around the cut edges. A sprinkle of finely minced rosemary is really nice, too. I especially like the yellow fleshed potatoes cut into thick rounds on the grill because of the creamy texture of those varieties.

138JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sandwiches for supper.
Tina put dinners together to freeze for her uncle in South Jersey.
She is going there tomorrow, and GD is going with her.....

Too hot to cook (outside ) so Tina had a skimpy ham sandwich with a whopping 1/4 tsp of mayo. She doesn't like mayo squishing out of her sandwich. LOL

Mine...well that's a different story.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 4j3h

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Iqcm

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Smdi

Mine was ham / cheese / tomato / lettuce / onion / lots of mayo.

Watermelon cubes and Twinkies for dessert!

139JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got some BLT Pasta in the works for supper. I was near the Italian market today so I made a stop for a box of the DeCecco Bugatini spaghetti, the thick spaghetti with a hole in the middle. Love that stuff. It's such an easy meal, but a satisfying pasta dish.

I made salad the other night and neither Dane nor Robin ate any. So it's just going to be the BLTPasta and toasted Italian bread.

140JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 pm

NormM

NormM

Cassie wanted to invite relatives over today before they returned to Mexico tomorrow, so I got everything ready the day before but then she decided not to have them over after it was too late for me to change plans so I made it anyway. There was pulled pork that had been injected with apple juice and topped with a spicy rub then smoked to an internal temp. of 190º. Corn grilled on the cob, then cut off and seasoned with butter, salt, honey and cream. The baked beans were made with a jar of seasoning and navy beans.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 DSCN0630_zpscdc20d87

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 DSCN0633_zps5a4ab0d5

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

141JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Cassie wanted to invite relatives over today before they returned to Mexico tomorrow, so I got everything ready the day before but then she decided not to have them over after it was too late for me to change plans so I made it anyway.  There was pulled pork that had been injected with apple juice and topped with a spicy rub then smoked to an internal temp. of 190º.  Corn grilled on the cob, then cut off and seasoned with butter, salt, honey and cream.  The baked beans were made with a jar of seasoning and navy beans.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 DSCN0630_zpscdc20d87

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 DSCN0633_zps5a4ab0d5

Looks awesome Norm.
Is there a dipping juice that can go with that pulled pork?

I've only had pulled pork once believe it or not, and the woman that made it, said to put the pork shreds on the bun, and then she had this juice / sauce, and she sprinkled it on the pork. Wow! I remember it was awesome, and a little spicy.
I was only like 15 or 16 then, and my only interest in food,...was eating a lot of it!

142JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, it sounds like she had a mustard, vinegar sauce, maybe with some brown sugar. I used a bottled BBQ sauce that is spicy. It is called Gates & Sons.

Here is a Memphis sauce that you may like. It is used with pulled pork and coleslaw to make a sandwich.

2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste

5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste

4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.
Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

143JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 261389_131301000287827_7112203_n

sausage/brats. pork steak.

144JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gosh, Norm, it's a shame you couldn't cook that pork long enough to have it pull apart easily....LOL

WOW, that all looks amazing. I've read about carnitas a lot recently - is that something you would make from leftover pulled pork? They just look like pulled pork soft tacos to me, but I am definitely not a Mexican cuisine authority.

Barb, that mixed grill looks good enough for breakfast, lunch & dinner! Did you have any sides with it?

145JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes . I had onions & peppers. I thought about cooking them on the grill in ci but that seemed like to much work geek 

146JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 pm

NormM

NormM

Here is my recipe for carnitas

Tacos de carnitas
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Packaged tortillas are fine, but even better are freshly made corn tortillas found in some supermarkets or Latino markets.
4 1/2 pounds pork butt
6 cups water
1 1/2 onions, diced
7 strips orange zest
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
24 small corn tortillas, warmed
Finely chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, salsa or hot sauce
1. Chop thick fat from the outside of the pork butt. Cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Discard any cubes that are pure fat. Combine pork with the 6 cups water, onions, orange zest, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and cloves in a large pot. Heat to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Skim any scum that forms on the surface. Simmer until meat is very soft and falling apart, adding more water if necessary to keep the meat submerged, about 1 1/2 hours.
2. Season with salt. Heat to a gentle boil; cook until the water has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Cook a little longer to fry the meat slightly, watching carefully to prevent burning. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Place meat in a fine strainer; push gently with a wooden spoon to remove any excess fat. Discard the fat; pull meat apart with forks, if necessary. Fold a few tablespoons of carnitas inside each tortilla; top each with cilantro, onion and salsa.

add sliced radish

AND here is the recipe I used today

BBQ Pork Butt

Injection marinade

1/3 C. apple juice
1/3 C. white grape juice
1/4 C. sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

Inject every inch, let set overnight.

Pork Butt Dry rub

4 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cumin
pinch ground ginger

Place in smoker and smoke @ 250º to 225º until done to 190º. Smoke for 2 hours, paint with apple juice, wrap in foil and continue cooking until done.

147JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, it sounds like she had a mustard, vinegar sauce, maybe with some brown sugar.  I used a bottled BBQ sauce that is spicy. It is called Gates & Sons.

Here is a Memphis sauce that you may like.  It is used with pulled pork and coleslaw to make a sandwich.

2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste

5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste

4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.
Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

Sounds good Norm. Thanks, I copied it already.
I know there is 5 tsp. salt....but salt makes everything taste so good.
I guess not bad considering I use Kosher salt.

148JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup Supper, and watermelon for desert.

Bean,s Potatoes, Celery, onion, corn, ham, carrots, ...... Beef Broth.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Tbcl

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 8ybc

149JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, that's just a big old bowl of love !!!

All the things you like best in one handy, easy to eat bowl (and no way to hurt yourself with your fork since you can use a spoon.....).

150JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 6 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, that's just a big old bowl of love !!!

All the things you like best in one handy, easy to eat bowl (and no way to hurt yourself with your fork since you can use a spoon.....).

Very Happy Actually, I opened the refrigerator crisper, and there were two 1/2 bunches of celery and a brand new full one.
I didn't want to waste the two 1/2 ones; so I made the soup.
I could have frozen it in water for soup, but, and I say BUT!!!!!
In the freezer, there are like 5 bags of it that Tina saves.
Somewhere in that freezer, I could swear she has Cromagnon Man in ice somewhere!!Mad 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum