Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Mine is a 2001. The major issue I have had with all of the BMW's I have owned is the transmission. They always go out and they ain't cheap to fix.
OH Yeahhh!.... it was the same issue with ours.
I learned the word limp mode with that car, hahahahaha Shut it off, wait 2 minutes, and it was good to go, until the next drop into limp mode again.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I loved that you photographed your "browned" rolls to show us. I had to laugh as Brian, too, likes toast I consider over-browned but those would've been a bit dark for him, too!

Norm, your birthday meal(s) for Charlie, friends and neighbors sounded delicious and looked even better. You even made the store-bought sides sound good. The brisket looked fantastic. I keep wanting to pick one up for the smoker 'cause I miss smoked meat so much but I know I've got to wait until I use up some of the stuff in our packed freezer first. My life is kind of day-by-day these days dealing with this, that or the other that I've even tended to buy too much at the grocery when I go -- I just don't cook as much as I used to and Brian isn't always up for eating. But of course my enjoyment of cooking makes me think of doing it even when I can't.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian goes for another dose of chemo on Thursday. His appetite has been SUPER lately so I've been cooking more than I have for a while. He'll probably not want much food beginning next weekend and maybe lasting 3 or 4 days so I'm filling him with as many calories as I can until then. He gained 6.4 lbs. between his last two chemo sessions so we're doing pretty good keeping his weight up which is the only task we have. He can have one beer a day but hasn't had but one or two a week as he just doesn't have a taste for them. Me? I've been enjoying my old standby drink of many years, so good in the summer. Gin Gimlets! Had two yesterday when I spent several hours in the kitchen. If Brian is downstairs on the sofa watching TV and I move to the kitchen, he moves in there, too, to keep me company or chop or prep what he can. It's really hard for him to see me doing so much when he's been unable to help as much as he always has.

Made chicken piccata last night and took out some more chicken cutlets from the freezer this morning as Brian was really hungry last night. I had a big bok choy in the fridge which had been there a bit too long along with a basket of grape tomatoes that were kind of dried up. I cleaned up the bok choy that was still okay, chopping up the stems a lot smaller than the greens and cut all the tomatoes in half. I sauteed the bok choy with onions, garlic and red pepper flakes and then threw in the tomatoes with some fresh basil just long enough to warm up the tomatoes. It was a delicious side dish that came together in a heartbeat which was just what I needed as I was just about running on empty by the time dinner time rolled around. The good thing is I have some left for tonight and had enough of the piccata sauce left to dress up more sauteed chicken cutlets.
When I purchased a big pack of chicken breasts a couple of weeks ago when they were on sale, I was smart enough to make cutlets and freeze them in packs of 5 or 6 after sealing them with the FoodSaver. Not only were they "recipe ready" but I kept each cutlet in the piece of HandiWrap I'd hammered them in when I put them in the FoodSaver bag. So they defrosted super fast and were easy to "peel apart" when I was ready to flour them. We'll enjoy more tonight as the cutlets were small and we each had two last night. I purposely made a lot of the sauce last night so I didn't have to re-do that portion tonight.

I also pulled a London broil out of the freezer this morning to defrost in the fridge for dinner tomorrow night. Am laughing as I will cook it quickly on the stove's griddle and the splattering all over the stove can be damned as Lynn comes to clean on Tuesday so it's a perfect Monday night meal. She loves that stove and says it cleans up so easy! Wish the inventors of those rubbery "splatter cones" I've been using when sauteing stuff on the stove would make one to fit griddles, as I'd definitely put one of those to use. I never seem to want to make something that splatters the stove up until AFTER Lynn has come and cleaned our house -- she laughs when I tell her we try to cook messy dishes right before she comes!

I even remembered to take pictures for you guys of last night's dinner but didn't yet transfer them from the camera to the laptop -- something you Smart phone users don't have to do. Maybe I'll come back and do it later....

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I was reading your comments this morning and decided it was time to make a trip to Costco.  Sams is right across the street  from Costco, but I let my Sams card expire. Both are only about 5 miles from here and 3/4 of the way is on the Interstate.  I just had my first taste of Costco rotisserie chicken. It was good.  I felt that Sams was not any cheaper than Walmart, just bigger sized packages.  I also picked up some ribeye cap steaks too.

We don't go to Costco or Sam's -- never did though I did want to check out Costco for smoking/grilling meat. But ever since I saw the pictures of ribeye cap steaks on here, I've wanted some. And when I told Brian about them, he's been dying to get some and has actually remembered to bring them up to me. So I think I'm going to phone Whole Foods tomorrow and see if they have them. I have a pain doctor appointment on Tuesday and can definitely hit one of two Whole Foods not too far from where I have to go. I know Brian would go crazy if I came home with a couple of those!

I've resorted to buying more pre-made and frozen stuff than I've bought in my life to make meal prep easier. When I ordered from Walmart recently, I bought a big bag of frozen French fries from Rally's -- plan to try those out tomorrow when I grill that London broil. I hope they're a good imitation of those fries. We don't get fast food very often but we both love Rally's fries and Brian doesn't even eat potatoes!

NormM

NormM

Thank you Michelle.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:leftover stroganoff & noodles tonight.  I'm boiling some carrots & peas to go with it and tossing together an arugula & radish side salad with leftover lemon vinegarette.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 08_05_12

Boy -- things are changing around here?! The Kellers having leftovers?! What is the world coming to?!

Laughing as I too made beef stroganoff Wednesday a week ago -- the batch made two dinners for us and some grismies (Cajun French word for a little bit pronounced gree-mee) for a small lunch for Brian! It's funny but we hadn't had beef stroganoff in many years but I started making it again a couple of years ago after buying some "steak tips" by the lb. packages -- not cheap but too convenient for words as I could just throw the bags in the freezer. The funny thing is how many people seem to moan with pleasure lately when Brian or I have mentioned beef stroganoff. Happened to me while Mandie was blow-drying my hair recently and Brian said his friend from the Cape Jimmy just about died when he'd asked what I'd been cooking lately (Jimmy has been single since divorcing over 20 years ago after more than 20 years married) and he mentioned beef stroganoff on the phone yesterday! So many people are saying it's one of their favorite meals. Am not surprised your single male neighbor came running for it, Beth, nor anything you make. It's so much fun to cook for someone who enjoys it so much -- not to say that our husbands don't but it's just fun for someone who doesn't get a good home-cooked meal very often, you know? I'm sure all of you can agree when you cook for others how much fun it is!

It really is delicious for something thrown together so quickly. I just have to make sure I haven't killed all the dry sherry when making it, as I do enjoy dry sherry on the rocks (with a little crushed ice added to the cubes) with a nice twist of lemon! Brian hates it and can't believe I enjoy it. I also like dry vermouth the same way -- gotta have that lemon twist, too.

I've turned so many big chicken breasts into cutlets lately that I've got a nice bag of chicken tenderloins in the freezer to use in a recipe soon. I looked up and posted a lot of suggestions on a neighborhood cooking site I go into in Nextdoor for sauces one can make for chicken cutlets. You'd have thought I was a rock star at how many people thanked me for them! I showed one lady how to make the cutlets but she'd never seen a tenderloin on the boneless breasts she buys from Sam's so I found pictures of a breast with a tenderloin attached and told her they're what the grocery sells as chicken tenders and charges an arm and a leg for!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:3:00 in the morning here.  Can't sleep, so I turned on the 'puter.  And FB, that made me less likely to be able to sleep.  Too much stuff about the problems in your beautiful country.

As much as I type on here and as much personal stuff I share here with you guys, I just don't "do" Facebook as I don't enjoy it. I go in and look at friends's sites sometimes but often I see things on their Facebook page that I find offensive so it makes me feel differently about that person. So I tend to stay away from it.

Yes, Lore, reading about all the massacres in the U.S. could depress even those without scruples! Until we get a grip on "anyone" buying semi-automatic weapons that can kill large numbers of people in a minute, we will have this problem. Sadly, no real changes will occur in Congress until we elect more women. Women will take care of business and do what needs to be done without worrying about being re-elected or collecting a huge pension. Gone are the days when our elected officials actually represent the will of the voters who elected them. Sad but true!

So sorry to read of your health problems, too. I had gall stones back around 1997 which were misdiagnosed by an older physician. He said I had an ulcer but did no tests to diagnose an ulcer and when I asked for antibiotics I'd read could cure 98% of ulcers, this old man told me he'd give me antibiotics when the ulcer came back after he'd gotten it to go away. I ended up in the ER one morning when the intense pain was intolerable and the ER docs could not believe that the doctor I'd gone to had done no tests and just "decided" I had an ulcer. I'd already made an appointment to see a gastroenterologist as I knew the doctor was behind the times but the ER visit came sooner than I could see the new doc. After they pumped my stomach to ensure I didn't have a bleeding ulcer, it took them about 30 minutes to decide I had no ulcer but did indeed have gallstones. Thank God I was able to get laparoscopic surgery to remove them instead of the old type of stomach surgery my then alive RN mom thought I had to have -- she was intrigued to read about the type of surgery I was getting as she said so many infections resulted from stomach surgery of any sort.

You have my sympathy, Lore, as I know how painful those things can be and I can only imagine what problems and pain one caught in a duct can be. I'm glad to see your pain eased a bit but hope you get all of that behind you really soon. I'm going to add you to my prayers as I did your sister. Like Beth noted the other day, so many of us hereabouts need prayers these days, whether it's for us or our family members. I guess these things happen as none of us are spring chickens anymore (old hens and a couple of roosters come to mind instead)!!

Seriously, though, I hope you're feeling better really soon. Did you get a nice new neighbor when your RN friend moved out? I sure hope so. I hope someone new can benefit from your yummy dinners really soon!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Joe, Katie and I think there is a new (or old) scam. Katie sent flowers for a funeral. She paid a lot of money for the arrangement. A friend took a picture of the arrangement and it wasn't anything like what Katie had ordered - much less expensive. Today one of Katie's friends sent a flower arrangement. Joe took a picture and sent it to the sender. It wasn't what she had ordered. She ordered a bouquet of roses. What arrived was sunflowers. She called up the florist and let them have it with both barrels. They are coming to deliver the original order and pick up the old order. Whooda thunk? Everybody is out to make a buck. Now you have to start checking on orders to make sure people are getting what you ordered for them.

Yes, this has been going on for YEARS! I've personally hung a couple of florists out to dry for doing the same thing but never the florist I used (Brian and I are pretty good florist customers) but rather ones they had to use when a delivery was out of their area or if I ordered flowers for someone in another state. It has gotten a lot better now that I can call a florist directly after reading reviews online. It helps, too, if you lie and tell them you will be there (e.g., the funeral) to see the flowers yourself. But yes, sadly, if you're not careful, some florists take advantage of you. My MIL used to send pictures of every arrangement we sent her, which is how I busted one (my regular florist who ordered the flowers from an out of state florist gave me a complete refund and reported the florist he used to FTD so he'd lose his affiliation -- this was back in the 70s). I also busted a local florist who was supposed to send a ficus TREE in the 80s to a friend as a housewarming present. When she had a party and I saw the "tree" was two feet high, I had a fit, as I'd spent $85 plus tax and delivery for that (over $100). The florist actually tried to tell me I didn't know the price of flowers, plants or trees and I told her she was an idiiot and if she didn't make good on the delivery, I was going to turn her into Visa and get my money back like that. She said if I did that, she'd TELEPHONE the recipient and tell her I refused to pay for her "tree". I said go ahead and immediately told Rachel what happened. The florist came out and picked up the tree as I told her I didn't want her to replace it. I told the florist my friend would leave it on her porch for the florist to pick up and the florist balked at that; I said, "Well, it's where you left it when you delivered it so that's how you're getting it back." My OWN florist who'd called that one because it was 50 miles away, called another florist who replaced the tree -- Rachel sent me a picture of a 7-foot ficus tree in a beautiful basket with a gorgeous golden fabric ribbon tied around it. Her husband said, which cracked us all up, that he'd have preferred all the cash I'd spent on it!!! My own florist was handling it for me but the crooked florist kept the back and forth ongoing for so long I told them I'd handle it myself. My florist also reported the other florist to the respective organization they belonged to (not FTD but the other one).

You have to be careful when you search for a florist in another city as some will claim they're in that city when they're not. I once asked a florist if they were located in Quincy, MA and they said they were. But then she asked me to spell Quincy (pronounced Quin-ZEE and not Quin-SEE) so I busted her. Now I make sure the florist's website has their street address so I can verify they are indeed in the same city or nearby. And sadly, I always lie and tell them I'm going to be there the day after the flowers arrive or like I said above, will be attending the funeral....

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="bethk"]Sloppy Joes and some of the dried lima beans I cooked last week.  I wondered if freezing would affect the texture (they were still al dente after a 4 hour cook).  They were a smidge better, softer, but I'm glad I don't have more than another container to eat.  I like the flavor but the texture is just not right.

I saw your message yesterday, Beth, about the lima beans and wanted to comment as I make lima beans and butter beans (the big ones) from scratch all the time as Brian's not a big bean fan but loves both types of limas. I think the main culprit when beans don't soften up is definitely old beans -- plain and simple. I think it probably happens more often with limas because they don't turn over in the grocery as fast as other dried beans do. This happened to me a couple of times so now when I buy dried beans now, I write the current date right on the bag with a felt-tip pen. Beans are so cheap that it's not worth it to even try cooking them if they're too old -- who wants to waste a ham bone, ham stock or whatever meat or bone someone is using. (I realize in this case the beans were old when you bought them.)

I stopped pre-soaking beans overnight or doing that substitute boil them for a bit and let them sit solution that's usually on the package YEARS ago. I read that at best, you'd have to cook them from 10 minutes to 30 minutes more without the pre-soak and I decided it just wasn't worth it and then I could just make beans without pre-planning. I've never had dried beans not cook down when I haven't pre-soaked so I know for sure that is not a problem caused by not pre-soaking. I'ts probably been over 20 years since I stopped pre-soaking beans though my mom wouldn't have heard of such a behavior!!

The only thing that made me make more pots of beans than no pre-soaking was finding out I could buy a local company's ham shank in the meat section! I no longer had to wait until I made a ham to get a ham bone for my beans (as I don't make a ham too often in summer though I want beans all year long). We have ham hocks available all the time but I always favored beans made with a "real" ham bone -- these shanks they sell now (not every grocery sells them but the local brand Chisesi is known for delicious hams and people often only buy their sliced ham in the deli section) don't have all that thick and untasty fat that the hocks do but still have a decent amount of ham on the shank, too -- that exact type of meat that you find near the bone on a bone-in ham (I'm sure you know what I mean, the darker type ham with a bit of a different texture than the rest of the ham on a half or whole ham).

Though some people think you should add salt to beans from the start and some don't, I'd always read that salting beans too early would make the skins fall off while cooking and the bean itself would break down too much. I don't necessarily think this is true but I pretty much adhere to it for my own reasons. Number one, when I cook down onions, garlic and celery (MY version of the New Orleans "holy trinity" as I usually skip bell peppers at the start and often don't use them as other Creole cooks do), I feel the need to season with salt, pepper and any other dried herbs I plan to use. Like many chefs, I think seasoning in layers as you cook makes a better dish. Though I add salt to my aromatics at the start of making beans if I'm sauteing the aromatics, I use very little because (1) I don't want to oversalt as I've always liked salt more than many others do, and (2) rather than adding much salt as something cooks, I like to "save salt room" to add some chicken or beef or ham or whatever flavor of Better Than Bouillon paste later on -- even the low-sodium types they offer for their chicken or beef bases contain a good bit of salt. So I'd rather be able to use some of that as a flavor boost before finishing my dish. And I don't add any salt to my beans unless it's when and if I'm sauteing aromatics. But I wouldn't consider not adding pepper and other seasonings to dishes in stages as I cook -- I really don't think the dish would taste the same if I simply corrected the seasoning when nearing the end of its cooking time.

I'm sorry you experienced that with fresh limas as I remember you normally stick to the frozen type and I think the fresh ones are soooo much better than frozen beans especially when people REALLY like limas (I think you've said it's Dane's favorite veggie). Like with most beans I cook (red, black, white, limas, etc.), I always smash some of the beans against the side of the pot when they've cooked enough to thicken up the beans a bit. My mom used to do that when I was a kid, watching and learning, and it's funny now to see people suggest it like it's something new! I laugh too at directions that tell people to remove a certain amount, say 1/4 cup, of beans, smash them with a fork and then stir them back into the pot. Seems to just complicate something that can be easily done with a big serving spoon and a nice pot side!

Brian and I had a discussion about the difference if any between lima beans and butter beans. I'd told him that I thought the butter beans were just what people called the bigger limas whereas the baby limas were usually just called limas. That was pretty much what I learned via Google as well. But he laughed as when I placed my next online Walmart order to be delivered, I got a bag of "butter beans" which were simply large lima beans labeled as such with "butter beans" in parentheses underneath the names. We have a local brand of beans called Camellia which are really delicious beans that are usually very clean and without any small stones. I just read the other day where their red beans are now going to be making their way across the U.S. so if you see Camellia dried beans of any sort, make sure you pick up a pound or two. Some people just will not make red beans if they don't see the Camellia brand available!

Nuff bean talk but man, I do love beans. Brian likes them too but doesn't like leftover beans as much as I do. Except in bean salad, as he LOVES that and bean salad always gets better tasting the longer it sits around in the fridge! Yum!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:She won't eat what we eat, and calls it poison. Tonight, she was flipped out because I had mayo, on my tomato sandwich. affraid

Yet.... she has to have her w i n e with her meals, and while she cooks!
I know the wine has more carbs, and alcohol, than I had in the 1 tbs. of mayo.

Well, one tablespoon of mayonnaise has 57 calories, 4.91 grams of fat, 3.51 grams of carbs, and .13 grams of protein (BREAKDOWN is 75% fat, 24% carbs, 1% protein). One site said there were 103 calories in one tablespoon of mayo, which I thought was a lot closer to what I've read before than 57 calories but maybe it's 'cause we use Helmann's).

A glass (5 oz.) of red wine will give you 125 calories and 4 grams of carbs, while white wine will hit you with 128 calories and 4 g carbs.

I'm laughing as I think the food value of the wine would probably be better for you. Though I'd NEVER give up mayo and CAN'T STAND low fat mayo though I know it's come a long way from the glue they first sold people as low fat mayo, I don't like it slathered on thickly like some people and only like a heavier dose of it on a turkey sandwich or a BLT. But I'd never give up my wine either!!

What DD has to learn is calling out someone, especially a parent who raised them to be the smart cookie they now think of themselves as (I'm laughing over here), on using mayo on a tomato sandwich is going to make someone dig in and probably take a bigger blob of mayo next time they use it, especially if she's watching! I know how you like to bait people, Jimmy, so make sure you tell us about how much extra mayo you use only 'cause DD is watching you!!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I use both terms interchangeably for the evening meal.

Same here, which I think is true for most southerners though you probably hear supper a bit more than dinner if you're listening...

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 08_09_10

This looked delicious, B. I spatchcocked a huge chicken I bought pre-seasoned from the local grocery two weeks ago. It had a ton of meat on it and was delicious but I cooked it in the oven on top of thickly sliced onions, thinly sliced garlic and several sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary. I made my own dirty rice from leftover rice and we had some broiled tomatoes on the side, too -- some of the last of the seasonal Creole tomatoes we so adore.

A week ago I went to another store of the local grocery, Rouses, we normally shop at when I went to get my nails done. They usually have a bit more in their "prepared food" case than the grocery closer to my home, things like specialty burgers (our faves are ones with bacon, cheddar and jalapenos ground up with the 75% chuck meat, though they had some with half brisket one time that were divine). They had a new product they were marketing under the Rouses name and the case was stock full of them frozen. I dug through them until I found one Brian would eat. They were boned chickens stuffed with stuffing and frozen. The only bones left were in the wings. They probably had about 5 different types of stuffings that all sounded good but I got the one with dirty rice as Brian wouldn't have liked the others. It wasn't cheap -- I think it was $12.99 -- but it was a good sized chicken and I just had to try it. They had cooking instructions on it (in the smallest type you've ever seen, nearly got a migraine trying to read it) on the package for both cooking frozen or defrosted. I'd defrosted it so it said to cook it at 350F for 90 minutes and to cover it with foil if it got too brown. I was in a lot of pain so I put it in a glass 8x8 glass dish (it was a tight fit) and it seemed to exude a lot of liquid in the dish. Brian was downstairs and said he'd watch it for me. We like skin crispy so I left it uncovered and set the timer for 45 minutes, telling him to cover it with foil if he thought it needed it before setting the timer the second 45 minutes. He basted it with some butter with about 10 minutes left on the timer (he used the Thermapen and 90 minutes was a perfect cook) but he said he thought he could've skipped basting it as it looked pretty good before he did it). We let it rest about 10 minutes and it was not only delicious but was amazingly good -- it was so cool that you could just slice it across the middle and get a nice thick slice or you could've also cut it in quarters, too; I cut the non-wing side in slices and then cut the wing-side in half for leftovers. I decided it was really worth the cost as it was convenient, already seasoned with their own rub and absolutely no waste at all -- the entire thing was edible and those little wings were delicious too!

Some of the stuffings they offered with the boned chickens were crawfish dressing, shrimp dressing, boudin dressing (boudin is a rice-based Louisiana made sausage), spicy cornbread stuffing, and even more. We will definitely be getting more of these, and once his chemo is over, I'll try the spicy cornbread stuffing. (Brian's mouth, including his lips, tongue and inside of his mouth is a bit sensitive since he began getting chemo. He'd worked up to enjoying some mildly spicy dishes (well, mild to me anyway) several years after radiation but chemo has made him adverse to spicy stuff so I've got to watch what I buy that is already seasoned if it's labeled spicy.)

I just checked online and Lordy, look at the stuff they're now offering. And people, this is food that is seasoned the way we like it down here, not on the bland side at all. Not spicy either but just well seasoned which you don't always get with pre-made items.

https://www.rouses.com/stuffed-meats-seafood-vegetables-cooking-instructions/

Brian also likes chicken parmesan. I can take it or leave it but I bought him one of the store's pre-made chicken parmesan. It was a huge breast, the tomato sauce was delicious and didn't taste like it came from a jar as we don't care for that stuff, and the cheese was plentiful and gooey and stretchy, just as you'd want it. It was so good he made me taste it. Not cheap at $4.99 but definitely worth it and a lot cheaper than if you got it at a restaurant. So it's another pre-made item I can get to lighten my load around here a bit more!

Rouses will deliver (there are two companies that handle their deliveries) but the markup on the food versus the prices in the store is HUGE; nothing like Walmart where I just don't notice any markup so if there is one, it's very small. I keep checking to see if they went down on those prices considering the huge success Walmart is enjoying with pickup AND deliveries around here. One day hopefully they will stop with the huge markups..

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Mine is a 2001. The major issue I have had with all of the BMW's I have owned is the transmission. They always go out and they ain't cheap to fix.
I learned the word limp mode with that car, hahahahaha Shut it off, wait 2 minutes, and it was good to go, until the next drop into limp mode again.

My sister loved BMWs -- the ones she had were always in the shop. Always. She spent a fortune getting them fixed but still loved them. Then they moved over to Mercedes. Then they tried Lexus and seemed to have stuck with them. They, too, buy them used from the mechanic who works on imported cars; Lord knows they're close to him because they're always getting their cars repaired!!!

In late March 2017, I bought a new 2017 Honda Accord EX. I buy them loaded but without the GPS stuff as we wouldn't use it and it has aggravated us in others' cars; it usually means getting a model just under the top model for an Accord. Got a good price and a fantastic .9% interest rate, which interest will only cost us just under $500 for a 5-year car loan. I traded in our 8-year old 2009 Honda Accord that had just rolled over to 50,000 miles so I got a nice price for it. No one could believe our 2009 Accord purchased at the end of July 2009 (I always tried to buy right before the new models came out; don't know enough about cars to trust myself buying a used car so I always buy new) only had 50000 miles.

You'd laugh as the one I drove home on 3/31/17 is just about ready to roll over to 8,000 miles! We don't go on car trips and whenever we have driven a good distance in a car, we usually rented a car so we could just pick up another one if we encountered car trouble on the way and it wouldn't hold us up. We were laughing the other day as I told Brian the car will probably have 20,000 miles or less in 2022 when I finish paying for it. When I left the dealer this time, I told my salesman this would probably be the last car I bought when I was thanking him (we do all negotiations online except for how much he'll give me on the trade-in). He just laughed and said, "Yeah, Michelle, that's the same thing you told me in 2009! Come by with your next low mileage Accord when you finish paying for it and I'll tempt you with a huge trade in credit! I'll bet you'll like the new models in a couple of years!" I just laughed but now that we no longer smoke, I'll bet that trade in price would definitely be an incentive to buy a new one!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:She won't eat what we eat, and calls it poison. Tonight, she was flipped out because I had mayo, on my tomato sandwich. affraid

Yet.... she has to have her w i n e with her meals, and while she cooks!
I know the wine has more carbs, and alcohol, than I had in the 1 tbs. of mayo.

Well, one tablespoon of mayonnaise has 57 calories, 4.91 grams of fat, 3.51 grams of carbs, and .13 grams of protein (BREAKDOWN is 75% fat, 24% carbs, 1% protein). One site said there were 103 calories in one tablespoon of mayo, which I thought was a lot closer to what I've read before than 57 calories but maybe it's 'cause we use Helmann's).

A glass (5 oz.) of red wine will give you 125 calories and 4 grams of carbs, while white wine will hit you with 128 calories and 4 g carbs.

I'm laughing as I think the food value of the wine would probably be better for you. Though I'd NEVER give up mayo and CAN'T STAND low fat mayo though I know it's come a long way from the glue they first sold people as low fat mayo, I don't like it slathered on thickly like some people and only like a heavier dose of it on a turkey sandwich or a BLT. But I'd never give up my wine either!!

What DD has to learn is calling out someone, especially a parent who raised them to be the smart cookie they now think of themselves as (I'm laughing over here), on using mayo on a tomato sandwich is going to make someone dig in and probably take a bigger blob of mayo next time they use it, especially if she's watching! I know how you like to bait people, Jimmy, so make sure you tell us about how much extra mayo you use only 'cause DD is watching you!!!!

Oh! I seriously know how to set out the bait. Just yesterday, Tina bought me Nutter Butter peanut butter cookies. They come 4 in a pack. As the others / complainers watched through the corners of their eye's, I picked up each cookie, and spread Jiff Peanut butter.... Rolling Eyes
I just enjoyed the sounds and head shakes they made, as I smacked my lips with goodness! .... August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Boy -- things are changing around here?! The Kellers having leftovers?! What is the world coming to?!

Yes, Michelle, HELL has frozen over here in The Villages. As a matte of fact, much to my dismay, we had LEFTOVERS yet again tonight.

Leftover stir fry. I just can't make a stir fry for two. It's impossible. I got close with the basmati rice but ended up making just 1/2 c. extra to go with the leftover rice and ended up with a bunch too much. But I'm no fool. I just dumped it in the trash and said, "Enough is enough."

And, Jimmy, after having leftovers for supper I would kill for a package of Nutter Butter cookies! Heck, I'd even be happy if I had a package of those peanut butter cheese crackers (and, SURPRISE! I do eat the cheese crackers with peanut butter because the crackers don't have the texture of cheese. But I cannot swallow the cheese crackers with CHEESE.). I've been known to dab a bit of 'real' JIF on my crackers just to add a bit more peanut taste. Good stuff!

But I could really go for a small batch of those peanut butter cookies you bake off.....1 c. peanut butter, 1 c. sugar, 1 egg. And I just might do that.......

Yeah, now that it's in my head, I just might.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

My sister loved BMWs -- the ones she had were always in the shop. Always. She spent a fortune getting them fixed but still loved them. Then they moved over to Mercedes. Then they tried Lexus and seemed to have stuck with them. They, too, buy them used from the mechanic who works on imported cars; Lord knows they're close to him because they're always getting their cars repaired!!!

In late March 2017, I bought a new 2017 Honda Accord EX. I buy them loaded but without the GPS stuff as we wouldn't use it and it has aggravated us in others' cars; it usually means getting a model just under the top model for an Accord. Got a good price and a fantastic .9% interest rate, which interest will only cost us just under $500 for a 5-year car loan. I traded in our 8-year old 2009 Honda Accord that had just rolled over to 50,000 miles so I got a nice price for it. No one could believe our 2009 Accord purchased at the end of July 2009 (I always tried to buy right before the new models came out; don't know enough about cars to trust myself buying a used car so I always buy new) only had 50000 miles.

You'd laugh as the one I drove home on 3/31/17 is just about ready to roll over to 8,000 miles! We don't go on car trips and whenever we have driven a good distance in a car, we usually rented a car so we could just pick up another one if we encountered car trouble on the way and it wouldn't hold us up. We were laughing the other day as I told Brian the car will probably have 20,000 miles or less in 2022 when I finish paying for it. When I left the dealer this time, I told my salesman this would probably be the last car I bought when I was thanking him (we do all negotiations online except for how much he'll give me on the trade-in). He just laughed and said, "Yeah, Michelle, that's the same thing you told me in 2009! Come by with your next low mileage Accord when you finish paying for it and I'll tempt you with a huge trade in credit! I'll bet you'll like the new models in a couple of years!" I just laughed but now that we no longer smoke, I'll bet that trade in price would definitely be an incentive to buy a new one!

The Honda is a good choice in my opinion, and with that low of mileage, the price is in the upper resale value.
Through all my working years....I never needed a vehicle for work.
I was always provided with a company vehicle. Paid (0) zero for it.
I was even allowed to use it for personal use. I was very lucky. Smile

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Yes, Michelle, HELL has frozen over here in The Villages.  As a matte of fact, much to my dismay, we had LEFTOVERS yet again tonight.

Leftover stir fry.  I just can't make a stir fry for two.  It's impossible.  I got close with the basmati rice but ended up making just 1/2 c. extra to go with the leftover rice and ended up with a bunch too much.  But I'm no fool.  I just dumped it in the trash and said, "Enough is enough."

And, Jimmy, after having leftovers for supper I would kill for a package of Nutter Butter cookies!  Heck, I'd even be happy if I had a package of those peanut butter cheese crackers (and, SURPRISE! I do eat the cheese crackers with peanut butter because the crackers don't have the texture of cheese.  But I cannot swallow the cheese crackers with CHEESE.).  I've been known to dab a bit of 'real' JIF on my crackers just to add a bit more peanut taste.  Good stuff!

But I could really go for a small batch of those peanut butter cookies you bake off.....1 c. peanut butter, 1 c. sugar, 1 egg.  And I just might do that.......

Yeah, now that it's in my head, I just might.

It's in my head too!.... I love peanut butter cookies.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nothing to write about..... but I had a liverwurst on rye, and macaroni salad. Tina had scrambled eggs and rye bread buttered.
DD and he BF went out to eat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well it's alllllll YOUR fault!

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 08_11_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The Honda is a good choice in my opinion, and with that low of mileage, the price is in the upper resale value.
Through all my working years....I never needed a vehicle for work.
I was always provided with a company vehicle. Paid (0) zero for it.
I was even allowed to use it for personal use. I was very lucky. Smile  

That is one heck of a job benefit, Jimmy, especially when you got to enjoy it your entire working career! Today it's considered to be valued at $8500 a year though I thought it would be much more than that. Brian had a company car for many of his 30+ years in the steamship industry but not for more than his last 10 plus years in management. We were spoiled and had to get a second car, something we weren't used to. But after Katrina (2005) when our older car literally limped home after we spent 7 weeks in Houston, it was my idea to try to make due with one car. We'd planned to do that when we retired so I wanted to give it a try. It took a little organizing but we got used to it rather quickly and have had one car ever since. We're lucky though not to have to deal with having a car and dealing with snow as that's a pain in the butt I never had to get used to. My cousin who lives in MA used to tell me she'd gladly deal with the snow instead of putting up with our humidity. We all laughed when Brian (my snow-hater) told her, "Yeah, Jeannie, but no one ever dies from shoveling humidity! So top that!" sunny sunny sunny

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Well it's alllllll YOUR fault!

Shame on you, Jimmy, for making Beth bake all those cookies!

Crybaby

Crybaby

One more thing before I sign off:

It has been 106 DAYS since I had a cigarette!!! Brian, too, and no cheating by either one of us! I'm busting up with glee that we're not smoking and believe it or not, Brian is proud of himself, too!

I knew we could do it as we'd done it before but we occasionally smoked one or two someone would give him to bring home at night, or we'd smoke a couple if we went out. And eventually, just like an alcoholic, you'll just jump right back in. This time, I don't think either of us will ever smoke again. We both stopped "told curkey" too! Our anniversary was April 29th and we both smoked our last cigarettes on April 27th -- it's the BEST anniversary present I ever got with Brian as I'd been bugging him for years to try to quit with me, as I couldn't quit and watch him smoke; I just knew I'd never succeed unless we both tried to quit together again.  

Yahoo! And thank God for the whole living room of new furniture I bought, too, as we both smoked inside! And all the fresh paint downstairs not only still looks fresh but will for years, even my shiny white trim around the windows and doors!  I am truly a happy camper about it. Plus we're saving a bundle of money, too, which is always a good thing!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Congratulations to both of you, Michelle! That's fantastic!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well it's alllllll YOUR fault!

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 2876911673 August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 4 2876911673 And Fork Crossed too!....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:One more thing before I sign off:

It has been 106 DAYS since I had a cigarette!!! Brian, too, and no cheating by either one of us! I'm busting up with glee that we're not smoking and believe it or not, Brian is proud of himself, too!

I knew we could do it as we'd done it before but we occasionally smoked one or two someone would give him to bring home at night, or we'd smoke a couple if we went out. And eventually, just like an alcoholic, you'll just jump right back in. This time, I don't think either of us will ever smoke again. We both stopped "told curkey" too! Our anniversary was April 29th and we both smoked our last cigarettes on April 27th -- it's the BEST anniversary present I ever got with Brian as I'd been bugging him for years to try to quit with me, as I couldn't quit and watch him smoke; I just knew I'd never succeed unless we both tried to quit together again.  

Yahoo! And thank God for the whole living room of new furniture I bought, too, as we both smoked inside! And all the fresh paint downstairs not only still looks fresh but will for years, even my shiny white trim around the windows and doors!  I am truly a happy camper about it. Plus we're saving a bundle of money, too, which is always a good thing!

And a congratulations from A quitter after over 50 years a smoker.
3 packs the last 8 years. I stopped using a mild Vaping electric device.
A vaper / non inhaler, and only 6% nicotine in my tobacco flavored glycol.
The last helicopter ride and experience last october did me in.
I'm not using any nicotine. The only thing I vape is Albuterol to clear my copd in the lungs.
No No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum