Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is still not eating real food.  He's been on chicken broth, noodle soup and today some scrambled eggs with cheddar.  Thank goodness he can call and make an appointment to see the dentist tomorrow to be sure all is doing well in his mouth and the excess pain he's experiencing is just normal due to the extensive work that was done.

But I've had enough of leftovers and trying to keep 'real' food out of sight.  So I made myself an early supper of a chicken arugula salad with green beans, egg, tomato & avocado all with a light lemony dressing I shook up.  It was pretty good, even if HE wasn't able to enjoy it with me.

**********oh, darn, trouble getting a pic to insert yet again.......maybe I'll be able to add it later.  We'll see.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 08_25_11

TA DA !!! I don't know if it's the forum or my computer. But all's well that ends well.....

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making cod breaded in panko, homemade tartar sauce, au gratin potatoes and steamed broccoli.

My hand is still giving me hell. My fingers won't bend all of the way without pain. I have to make an appointment for some physical therapy. Still swollen a bit. I bought 10 eggs of Silly Putty to start squeezing in hopes it will help loosen things up.

We watched a documentary about the 50 year anniversay of Woodstock last night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Dane is still not eating real food.  He's been on chicken broth, noodle soup and today some scrambled eggs with cheddar.  Thank goodness he can call and make an appointment to see the dentist tomorrow to be sure all is doing well in his mouth and the excess pain he's experiencing is just normal due to the extensive work that was done.

But I've had enough of leftovers and trying to keep 'real' food out of sight.  So I made myself an early supper of a chicken arugula salad with green beans, egg, tomato & avocado all with a light lemony dressing I shook up.  It was pretty good, even if HE wasn't able to enjoy it with me.

**********oh, darn, trouble getting a pic to insert yet again.......maybe I'll be able to add it later.  We'll see.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 08_25_11

TA DA !!!  I don't know if it's the forum or my computer.  But all's well that ends well.....
Maybe he should get antibiotics for ten days. May be an infection?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had codfish in butter wine sauce. Heated fries that turned into rubber sticks. 2 corn on the cob, and a chocolate dixie cup for dessert.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am making cod breaded in panko, homemade tartar sauce, au gratin potatoes and steamed broccoli.

My hand is still giving me hell. My fingers won't bend all of the way without pain. I have to make an appointment for some physical therapy. Still swollen a bit. I bought 10 eggs of Silly Putty to start squeezing in hopes it will help loosen things up.

We watched a documentary about the 50 year anniversay of Woodstock last night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tina uses a wash cloth rolled up, just to hold when she is in pain. She is not any better, and is still in pain.
Hope you get some relief Debbie.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy. I hope things get better soon but I am afraid it is going to take some time. Tina has it worse. I read about her problem and it is a tough one to overcome.

Last night was one nightmare after another. I wonder why that happens? I finally gave up sleeping and got up.

Katie ate that entire bag of candy in one day. Makes me sick thinking about it. I have a very long sweet tooth myself but she has me beat by a mile.

182August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I figure enough is enough for eating chicken broth.....almost a week on that stuff.

So, I've got some goulash sauce going. I figure if I simmer the ground beef with the tomatoes long enough it will be really tender and soft ~ then the elbow macaroni will go in until soft. Beef/tomato flavor has got to be more appealing than another chicken meal.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina mommy put on a big pot of beef stew for supper.
A big loaf of Hoboken round crusty Italian bread to mop up the juices and to use as a pusher.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've had this recipe for ages and finally decided to make it the other night when I pan-seared two pork tenderloins and then brought them up to temp in a hot oven while I made the sauce. It was delicious. First night, I used French tarragon in it; when we had the leftovers, I whisked in some freshly chopped cilantro and it really brightened up the flavor.

Dried Cherry-Port Sauce w/Onions & Marmalade
Sauces 2 pork tenderloins. Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, Nov-Dec. 2004

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick (about 1-1/2 cups)
[I added a thinly sliced large clove of garlic]
3/4 cup ruby port
3/4 cup dried cherries
[I added about a Tablespoon of chopped fresh tarragon]
2 Tablespoons orange marmalade
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
Table salt and ground black pepper

1. Add oil to still-hot skillet you cooked your meat in, swirl to coat, and set skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes (if drippings are browning too quickly, add 2 Tablespoons water and scrape up browned bits with wooden spoon). Set skillet aside off heat.
2. While pork is resting, set skillet over medium-high heat and add port and cherries; simmer, scraping up browned bits with wooden spoon, until mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add any accumulated pork juices and continue to simmer until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 2 to 4 minutes longer. Off heat, whisk in orange marmalade and butter, one piece at a time. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. [I added tarragon the first day and then freshened up the leftovers with some freshly chopped cilantro; both really good.]

bethk

bethk
Admin

The dried cherries reconstituted in the orange sauce is such a good combination. That's a sauce that would go well on a flip flop!

Supper was soft. But at least it wasn't chicken ((again)). Poor guy, he's never one to be in pain for more than a couple days in a row. But he did appreciate the flavor even if it was soft and really loose.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 08_26_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sounds good Michell!

##############################################

Beth, the elbows stew looks great!.... Very Happy

Bugster2

Bugster2

I keep getting packages for the old owners of our house. Very annoying. Obviously they don't read their order info before placing it. I have to call customer service and ask what they want me to do with it and I always get a woman with an attitude spelled with a capital A and a huge chip on her shoulder. Got one today. GEEZ!

Joe is going to have a hot leftover tri tip sandwich for dinner. I am eating leftover broccoli and au gratin potatoes. Katie will have leftover cod and broccoli.

I lead such an interesting and exciting life. Today I cleaned up 3 piles of cat barf on the floor and one on the back cushion of the couch. Then there was a pile of poo Katie's cat left on the carpet. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

In our town,..... stupidly, there is a ( # Roberts Road ) and a ( # Roberts Terrace ).....
We keep getting the other address mail. Luckily, they don't get ours.

NormM

NormM

I get next door neighbors mail a lot and sometimes I get mail from another block and another number, neither are anywhere close to my street or address.

I didn't get a ribeye cap steak at Costco today but I did get a rib roast and cooked it for dinner and for sandwiches later.August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 20190818

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I get next door neighbors mail a lot and sometimes I get mail from another block and another number, neither are anywhere close to my street or address.

I didn't get a ribeye cap steak at Costco today but I did get a rib roast and cooked it for dinner and for sandwiches later.August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 20190818

Ummm! A carnivore's delight.

191August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, that roast looks done to perfection!

192August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Jimmy and Debbie.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

193August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We were eating our corn on the cob yesterday, and it turned into a discussion.... I said,"Now....chew it good, or it will stick to your intestines ( guts )!" ....
Tina said "NO NO NO, its stick to your stomach!"
I also said, The saying was ( from my parents anyway ), "NOW, DON'T swallow your gum, or it will stick to your HEART!" .....  Tina said "NOOoooooo!" "It's stick to your Bones!" "NO WAY..... "It's HEART!"

I said,"Drink your Milk, it's good for your bones. There were a lot of them sayings at the dinner table. "Eat the crust on the bread..... it makes your hair curly!"
And we believed all that stuff.  

bethk

bethk
Admin

And I remember that old time favorite: "Eat you supper or I'll knock you into tomorrow!"

LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

A friend of mine says you only rent corn.

196August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:A friend of mine says you only rent corn.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 2876911673 August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

A hot dog and a bowl of chili for supper......didn't bother with pics ~ it was OK but not what I was hungry for. Unfortunately it was what he said HE was hungry for......

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

3 German sausages from the butcher shop.
Applesauce, and some salad.
I will post a pic later.

Ooops.... can't find the picture????? OK here it is!

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 Img_1540

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I had a 'Get-Outta-Dodge' in Orlando Day. One of her cars needed serviced so we always volunteer to take it the hour drive just so we can play all day. Bill knows to make the service appointment for late morning so after the car is serviced we can head to lunch and then off to shopping where ever we happen to want to go. Today was Macy's where we BOTH found some tops to buy ~ ON SALE !!! ~ and clothing shopping is my very LEAST favorite thing to do. Portly women are seldom clothes hogs.....we don't like trying on clothes and we hate the sizing tags in the neckline....so when we get them home we cut them off! LOL

We ended going to lunch at a place called Seasons 52. Our waiter was a joy and the food was fantastic. Lyn loves that she and I can order appetizers and just split whatever, and that way we get to try more different dishes. We had an order of grilled baby artichokes with vegetables and hummus, and I have to say, it was the very best hummus I've ever tasted. It was super smooth, not at all grainy as some can be, and it was NOT garlic forward, if it had any garlic at all. The grilled artichokes were also fantastic. Then there was a four mushroom flatbread ~ to die for! The crust on the flatbread was super thin, like thick typing paper.....but crispy, even covered with wall-to-wall mushrooms and held up when you took a bite. She is always so generous to share with me and not have GOAT CHEESE on the flatbread, which is the way it's normally served.

The restaurant menu was interesting as there were no sandwiches and nothing deep fried ~ a wood fired oven for a lot of what they served. And just a lovely setting next to a lake in a sun drenched dining room. And there wasn't a lot of noise ~ we could hear each other have a conversation but not the people surrounding us. All in all, a perfect luncheon/dinner place.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 08_28_11

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 8 08_28_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:3 German sausages from the butcher shop.
Applesauce, and some salad.
I will post a pic later.

Ooops.... can't find the picture?????     OK here it is!

German immigrants brought the very best sausage recipes! I love the history of them coming to America and setting up shops. That was the only good thing about WW II.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum