Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I did the braised pork steaks (my favorite cut), sauteed some zucchini, yellow squash & onions, made some creamed corn and used the last of the arugula & homemade lemon dressing for a side salad with some sliced radishes.

All in all a pretty tasty supper.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 08_08_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight I did the braised pork steaks (my favorite cut), sauteed some zucchini, yellow squash & onions, made some creamed corn and used the last of the arugula & homemade lemon dressing for a side salad with some sliced radishes.

All in all a pretty tasty supper.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 08_08_10

Great sounding supper Beth!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Ok guys, what do you call your evening meal? Dinner or supper?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Interchangeable.

Depends upon my mood. Holidays have dinners. Weeknights can have dinner or supper.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Ok guys, what do you call your evening meal? Dinner or supper?

Supper the evening meal.

Growing up in PA .... Breakfast 7 am to 9 am

Dinner 12:pm to 1: pm ( now lunch ) No such thing as Brunch ........

Supper ..4:30 pm to 5:00 pm
What Do Ya want from a bunch of Coal Miners???

NormM

NormM

I use both terms interchangeably for the evening meal.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

It has always been dinner out here. No one uses the term supper. It has always been breakfast, lunch and dinner. Brunch for a late breakfast.

JanaAZ

we definitely call it dinner.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I spatchcocked a chicken to put on the grill. Also grilled some sweet potato wedges & asparagus. I just wanted to keep the heat out of the kitchen. It was a hot one today ~ looked like it was going to rain a couple times but figured if I used the gas grill I could always just shut the top and walk away until the rain let up. As it was, it all blew past and we didn't get wet.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 08_09_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was great.....
I made macaroni salad, and Kielbasa. Tina was at the Dr in Morristown, NJ
and on way home, she picked up a seeded rye bread.
Poor Tina calls me, and said the brakes went to the floor. Hard stopping, but she nursed it home. She did a great job getting home....So I set it up for her to drop it off at Mavis Tire and repair center.
To think, I just had $500.00 + to have the brakes done 3 weeks ago, at my mechanic.
I should have taken it back there, but they wouldn't get to just look at it for day's.
Always Something ......

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 Img_1536

Bugster2

Bugster2

My car is in the shop too. The air conditioner went out. It is too hot to do without it. My car is 18 years old and has turned into a money pit. Can't afford to replace it, so I fix it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I hear you Debbie.
You are better off getting it repaired. Like me.... One is a 2006 like 13 years old, but I need that car for Tina. Its a Mercedes 4Matic which is a 4 wheel drive. We need that here in the snow belt region. It's got 157,000 miles on it. I bought it used, for $8,400.00

Then, we got another one; 1997 E420 MB yes a 23 year old with 278,000 miles on it.
That one needs a transmission valve contact plate, so I gotta get that fixed for a spare transportation vehicle. That one is a rear wheel drive, and is so so in the snow.
I just throw sand bags in the trunk for weight and added traction in the snow.

In the long run, we're still better off fixing it; instead of buying another car.
Plus both cars get 27 mpg. hwy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, the fresh tomatoes look amazing! I'm thinking I should throw together some mac salad for our hot dogs tonight. I think I've even got some hard cooked eggs already in the refrigerator.....

Thanks for the idea!

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I hear you Debbie.
You are better off getting it repaired. Like me.... One is a 2006 like 13 years old, but I need that car for Tina. Its a Mercedes 4Matic which is a 4 wheel drive. We need that here in the snow belt region. It's got 157,000 miles on it. I bought it used, for $8,400.00

Then, we got another one; 1997 E420 MB yes a 23 year old with 278,000 miles on it.
That one needs a transmission valve contact plate, so I gotta get that fixed for a spare transportation vehicle. That one is a rear wheel drive, and is so so in the snow.

In the long run, we're still better off fixing it; instead of buying another car.

My car has 98,000 miles on it. It actually has a lot of life left in it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I hear you Debbie.

My car has 98,000 miles on it. It actually has a lot of life left in it.

It surely does. What model is the car? That means a lot too.

* Update * Got the car back from Mavis ( formerly STS )
They did a brake check, and all is in order. All the components are brand new he said, and all in working order. I know, because I did the complete mechanical on it a month or so ago. The problem, is in the ABS control system for anti lock braking system and only a dealer can access and repair the system. I made the appointment for tuesday at the local MBenz dealer in Newton. $$$$$$$ I told tina to shake the piggy bank. I'm hoping it's just a speed sensor? No

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm thinking just burgers with Greek style Chili sauce....

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, my car is a BMW 3 series wagon. Katie has a beautiful 2004 Jaguar sedan with 100,000 miles on it. She has had to dump money into it but she loves it. Joe is without a car at the moment. He is looking for something to buy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, my car is a BMW 3 series wagon. Katie has a beautiful 2004 Jaguar sedan with 100,000 miles on it. She has had to dump money into it but she loves it. Joe is without a car at the moment. He is looking for something to buy.
BMW is a fine car. We had a 5 series once. ... I was just looking at one 2002 3 series wagon for Tina; as her spare shopping car, but it was not 4 wheel drive.
She will get a loaner while her car is serviced, and I know she will pick an SUV to use. She's dying to try one.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Mine is a 2001. The major issue I have had with all of the BMW's I have owned is the transmission. They always go out and they ain't cheap to fix.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper plans worked out exactly as anticipated. This afternoon I made the macaroni salad ~ turns out the eggs were past 'prime' so I cooked 3 more. I finally have it down where I actually MEASURE the elbow macaroni....1/2 cup......and that's just right for the two of us. We usually end up with just a small serving for a bedtime snack or lunch the next day. I use to just pour some in the boiling water, maybe add it by the handful, but I always had macaroni salad for DAYS. Now I know just how much I need and that's a good thing for me!

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 08_10_10

NormM

NormM

I got a 2011 car in Jan.  I wanted one a couple years newer but they were selling it as I walked in the door. This was the only other one in my price range.  It is a Lincoln MKZ AWD.

It seems whenever I don't want to put much thought in dinner, I usually end up grilling a steak.  We had a couple of strip steaks with vegetables, potato pancakes and strawberries with angel food cake.August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 3 20190816

bethk

bethk
Admin

STRAWBERRIES WITH ANGEL FOOD CAKE !!!!!!

Aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh...........yer killin' me, Norm!

Now that's what I WANT!  It's too hot to bake a cake.  And I don't like store bought because they usually have almond extract in them and I'm not a fan.

So, I guess I'll just have to put my WANT on hold.

The rest of it looks really good, too.

But I WANT STRAWBERRIES WITH ANGEL FOOD CAKE

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Mine is a 2001. The major issue I have had with all of the BMW's I have owned is the transmission. They always go out and they ain't cheap to fix.
OH Yeahhh!.... it was the same issue with ours.
I learned the word limp mode with that car, hahahahaha Shut it off, wait 2 minutes, and it was good to go, until the next drop into limp mode again.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was so surprised to see that at 6am this morning it was 48 degrees outside. It hit 86 this afternoon. Cool for us. Cooking two meals tonight: one is a steak for me and the other is shrimp for Joe and Katie. Baked potatoes and a salad to round out the meal. This broken hand is getting so old. I have lost movement and it has no strength. It has been 1 month. I can see it is going to take some time to get it working again. Chopping up things with my left hand is such a clumsy undertaking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum