Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen???

+5
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got the bunch of red beets cooked and cubed for supper......stems and leaves ready to cook, too. I have a nice rib eye steak sitting in the refrigerator with seasoning sprinkled on it so the flavor gets absorbed. I'm thinking I want some of the little cream potatoes to go with it.

(moved from the February.....WRONG......thread)

So, supper was as good as anticipated ~ I got started early and had plenty of time to think about it.  The baby cream potatoes (fresh from the farm market) got braised with onion, A la Tina.....I just mashed them a bit and let the onion-y goodness soak in.  The steak was pretty darn tasty and the bone got chewed on as dessert.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_01_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I got the bunch of red beets cooked and cubed for supper......stems and leaves ready to cook, too. I have a nice rib eye steak sitting in the refrigerator with seasoning sprinkled on it so the flavor gets absorbed. I'm thinking I want some of the little cream potatoes to go with it.

(moved from the February.....WRONG......thread)

So, supper was as good as anticipated ~ I got started early and had plenty of time to think about it.  The baby cream potatoes (fresh from the farm market) got braised with onion, A la Tina.....I just mashed them a bit and let the onion-y goodness soak in.  The steak was pretty darn tasty and the bone got chewed on as dessert.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_01_10

Surely does look good Beth! Know What?? I haven't seen you cook pork steaks in a long time! You always cause my mouth to water the way that you cook them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Again.... two bowls of salad greens. A Boston cream doughnut. Coffee.
Waiting for the 3 to 5 inches of snow overnight. Had like 2 inches last night. Just love the beauty of the snow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, Tina is making American Goulash for lunch! She invited her friend Christine over.

Niagara Visitor

I think I need to take a refresher course in how to cook. LOL Been eating out so much lately. Last night I stopped in to see 86 year old uncle, and he suggested we go out for dinner. We had some calamari as an appetizer, then we each couldn't finish our dinner. I had an excellent lasagna, the second half is in my fridge. He had liver and onions, and also took half home.

Today, sis called she was feeling housebound so we went out. Had first a bowl of bean soup each, then shared some flatbread with pancetta, cheese and arugula, and some escargots. All appetizers, but portions were really good for lunch. No take home package today, and that's great.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm in the same predicament, Lore.....today was ladies' lunch.....no supper. Dane thawed some soup from the freezer. Maybe I'll cook tomorrow.....

Niagara Visitor

A couple of weeks ago I made some oven roasted veggies (peppers, onion, zuccini, mushrooms) let them cool and made a salad. Took some to sis, and she said it's/they were the best thing in food I had ever given her. She asked me to make them again for later this week when her daughter comes from NY. So, I guess I haven't lost the touch totally! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did burgers on the grill, mine with a fat slice of onion. Baked sweet potatoes & the last of the red beets & greens......

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_02_10

How wonderful to hear your oven roasted vegetables really hit the spot for your sister! It must make you both feel fabulous that she enjoys your dishes that much.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a crockpot full of 15-bean soup for Katie. I am going to make crispy pan fried cod for Joe. I don't know what I will have.

I bought some deli containers that go from freezer to microwave for Katie's soups. I got 36 with lids for about $14. They work great and stack.

I am trying to figure out how to solve a problem: I have a 4-poster bed that is too tall. The top of the mattress comes up to my waist. The only thing I can think of is buying some brackets made for poster beds and have Joe screw them on the legs of the head and footboard closer to the ground. Or, get a mattress frame with the same brackets and get rid of the side rails. That might be the best solution because I can't get my hands down into the rails to get the sheets on. My hands get all torn up.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made the American Goulash and we ate that for lunch.
I made waffles for the kids and grand kids for breakfast.....
I had the two waffle toastmaster in high gear, and keeping everyone's plate filled with warm waffles.

Supper.... was blue tube pizza. I had anchovies on mine.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a chicken breast out of the freezer this morning without a clue of what it would become......and somehow inspiration struck (when I had to move stuff in the refrigerator because the wine bottle laying on it's side had sprung a small leak and needed to be washed out and I came across the bottle of buttermilk).

Chicken nuggets are just chunked up boneless chicken breast, marinated in a bit of full-fat buttermilk and sriracha, pressed in unseasoned panko and allowed to sit, covered, on a plate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so for the panko to absorb the moisture from the buttermilk. Keeps the breading in place when it gets pan fried. Beans got blanched and then tossed on a sheet pan with some thick sliced crimini mushrooms, seasoned with a bit of Cajun and s&p ~ browned in the convection oven. The acorn squash was just cut in half and baked for about 40 minutes before the oven got changed to convection for the beans.

And I had a bit of sweet chili sauce to dip my chicken nuggets in......

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_04_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I pulled a chicken breast out of the freezer this morning without a clue of what it would become......and somehow inspiration struck (when I had to move stuff in the refrigerator because the wine bottle laying on it's side had sprung a small leak and needed to be washed out and I came across the bottle of buttermilk).  

Chicken nuggets are just chunked up boneless chicken breast, marinated in a bit of full-fat buttermilk and sriracha, pressed in unseasoned panko and allowed to sit, covered, on a plate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so for the panko to absorb the moisture from the buttermilk.  Keeps the breading in place when it gets pan fried.  Beans got blanched and then tossed on a sheet pan with some thick sliced crimini mushrooms, seasoned with a bit of Cajun and s&p ~ browned in the convection oven.  The acorn squash was just cut in half and baked for about 40 minutes before the oven got changed to convection for the beans.

And I had a bit of sweet chili sauce to dip my chicken nuggets in......

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_04_10

Great looking meal Beth....
The chicken looks good for me to eat. Nice and crunchy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a split pea soup with ham diced and potatoes and carrots.
This was a cup to taste while it was cooking. Those puffy things are those oyster crackers.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? Img_1416

bethk

bethk
Admin

Split pea soup is made to warm your whole body......good stuff!

Niagara Visitor

In my challenge of using up everything in my freezer, I came upon a prize. A wonderful piece of fish and I have no idea what it was. The piece of the filet was about 2 inches thick, white and beautifully flaky. I am sooooo bad about labelling things.

So, that was last night's dinner, gonna look through the rest of my things and hopefully find another piece like that. I am having "surprise" dinners these days. LOL

Niagara Visitor

Found some chicken thighs in my freezer, so I thought cacciatore. But, weather is lousy, and I love mushrooms in my cacciatore. But, I looked up Giada's recipe, and she doesn't add mushrooms, just onion, garlic and bell peppers. So, if it's good enough for her, it'll be fine for me too without mushrooms, right???

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Found some chicken thighs in my freezer, so I thought cacciatore.  But, weather is lousy, and I love mushrooms in my cacciatore.  But, I looked up Giada's recipe, and she doesn't add mushrooms, just onion, garlic and bell peppers.  So, if it's good enough for her, it'll be fine for me too without mushrooms, right???

Go for it Lore!....
We love mushrooms here! I can make a meal out of them.

Niagara Visitor

I love mushrooms too, just fried in a little butter, black pepper and that could be my dinner. Have you ever had chanterelle mushrooms? They are a wild mushroom in season in forests in August/September. Very expensive, but well worth the price occasionally.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The most exotic mushrooms I get are shitake, oyster. crimini, enoke.....and once in a while I'll find 'hen-of-the-woods'. I think the mixture of shitake and crimini are probably my favorite, or maybe just that I can usually find them I cook them more often. I don't think I've ever seen chanterelles, although it would be a real treat, I'm sure!

The other day I took a meatloaf out of the freezer to let it defrost in the refrigerator for a couple days. I like having it made and all I have to do is put it on a rack and bake it ~ I form 2 lb. loafs in the foil loaf pans lined with plastic wrap. When I'm ready to bake I tip the formed loaf on to a small rack and put it on a foil lined sheet (I don't like scrubbing sheet pans). Today I played around with starting it off in a preheated 425° convection oven for 20 minutes to sear it quickly and then I dropped back to a traditional bake at 350° for another hour or so. Finally, when I put on the ketchup/brown sugar glaze I put the oven back on convection to carmelize the glaze on the meat. I didn't hear any complaints from the 'peanut gallery' (as Dad use to say) so I'm thinking it worked out pretty tasty.

I made some mashed potatoes and really pretty peas & carrots to make a real comfort meal.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_05_10

Niagara Visitor

That looks great, I love meatloaf, but don't make it often for myself now. I make it for my son and DIL in a regular loaf pan, and then I sometimes make a small one for myself.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The most exotic mushrooms I get are shitake, oyster. crimini, enoke.....and once in a while I'll find 'hen-of-the-woods'.  I think the mixture of shitake and crimini are probably my favorite, or maybe just that I can usually find them I cook them more often.  I don't think I've ever seen chanterelles, although it would be a real treat, I'm sure!

The other day I took a meatloaf out of the freezer to let it defrost in the refrigerator for a couple days.  I like having it made and all I have to do is put it on a rack and bake it ~ I form 2 lb. loafs in the foil loaf pans lined with plastic wrap. When I'm ready to bake I tip the formed loaf on to a small rack and put it on a foil lined sheet (I don't like scrubbing sheet pans).  Today I played around with starting it off in a preheated 425° convection oven for 20 minutes to sear it quickly and then I dropped back to a traditional bake at 350° for another hour or so.  Finally, when I put on the ketchup/brown sugar glaze I put the oven back on convection to carmelize the glaze on the meat.  I didn't hear any complaints from the 'peanut gallery' (as Dad use to say) so I'm thinking it worked out pretty tasty.

I made some mashed potatoes and really pretty peas & carrots to make a real comfort meal.

March, 2019 ~ What's Cooking in the Kitchen??? 03_05_10

The meal looks great. Tina was reading someplace?? where it said, don't mix the meat for the meatloaf too much. Lightly mix it and don't pack it down in the loaf pan too tight. It will make the loaf too dense, and the meatloaf will be hard and rubbery! Haven't tried that yet. Next meatloaf.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a Sams Club run in Pennsylvania today. They closed our store.
She made a kielbasi run at Komensky's in Duryea. Made a trip to the Moosic bakery and picked up pushki doughnuts filled with prune, and some with jelly and cream.
It's a great period of the Lenten season.
Oh! And she brought back Krispe Kreme doughnuts for the kids and the neighbors.
Today is Fat Tuesday in NOLA.
Haven't heard from Crybaby lately. Not heard from Imelda nor Cooking girl...??

I made tuna salad for tomorrow. ( No meat day for us for ash wednesday ).

Made potato salad also. Thursday is Kielbasa braised with onions. We will have the potato salad with that! Noodles with butter sounds good to me. I don't eat potato salad with Kielbasa.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I am still around.. not cooking, but still around. Last week, I moved, into Senior Housing.

It is mind blowing.. Yes, into senior housing..

It was a really fast occurrence. I could not refuse, as I would have to wait another couple of years to get in. I am not really happy with the apartment; but am here.. not sure if I like it here..

I feel as if I do not belong; but I am saving so much money.

The apartment is so tiny.. only a one bedroom. I am on the beach. I do have a beach view. It is a corner apartment, so the walls are angled.. very weird. and very tiny.

It is taking a lot of adjustment. I cannot find anything.. and I cannot put my desk in the bedroom, as I wanted to.. so I am not really happy with the arrangement.

I had to purge 12.5 years of things. It was a massive undertaking..

This place has been here for 40 years.. and has a little bit of everything..almost all encompassing.. all the people here, love it... but, I have a Yappy dog next door which is driving me crazy. The owner is clueless...Grateful, the dog is quiet at night.. but each time someone walks by--is it off....

Geoffrey seems to be adjusting better than I... He is still hiding under the bed.. comes out occasionally to sit on the floor to ceiling windowsill to watch the traffic, waves, seagulls, people walking...

The kitchen is so tiny...kind of like a galley kitchen.. and the stove is so so so tiny.

They do provide a dinner, daily.. I have been trying it this week---gross.. what do I expect from senior housing.. gross... and for some reason, raw red onions are everywhere, with a weird taste to the food.. I am giving it this week and then I will just go back to making my own...

that is about it..

I have been running around, since mid January... finally moving last week.. I am exhausted.. sleeping a ton... I have been staying in also... because I am so tired.. the bed just 'calls' me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Finding an affordable housing is one of those "take-it-now-or-be-sorry" life issues. A sister of a friend had the same option come up last year. She wasn't going to take the apartment because she insisted she was too young - but she has no income other than her meager SS and the new place is hundreds cheaper than the awful place she had been living in. She doesn't have meals provided but it's still so much mor affordable.

You'll adjust and settle in after a bit....give it some time to get use to. It sounds lovely to be so close to the water. You and Geoffrey will grow to love it!

Niagara Visitor

A senior residence where they serve meals is cheap? Here they start at about $3,000./month. MY aunt is in one, and the meals are very good, although portions for me are small.
My sis requested for me to make (replicate) a roasted vegetable salad that I made a couple of weeks ago. Her daughter is coming from NY to take sis to an appointment with the oncologist. Daughter is a great vegetable eater and always happy to take food home! Shopping today and it's only 12 degrees F outside. But, the sun is out, so it looks great.

cookingirl

cookingirl

It is government, subsidized senior housing... income adjusted.

The food is an additional $200 a month.. but I look at it as part of the rent. I do not have to pay for heat, electricity, or water.. so it is a bargain.. I am one of those living on Social Security; so I need this.

It is very overwhelming, in here. the building is very big; over 270 apartments.

I guess in 5 years or so, I will fit into the profile.. until then, I do not feel comfortable here.

I do have some friends from my old building living here. They were like 'mother hen's' in the beginning.. now that I have been here for 9 days, they are backing off... and leaving me to my own devices, to explore...

Not what I wanted, and a huge adjustment. But it is for the future.. and is what I need now--a cheaper rent, which is impossible to come by, in the NorthEast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum