Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy New Year to All! NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 911454047
I guess it's leftovers we can find,in the icebox. Very Happy

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, I have made that recipe with the cream, spinach. Joe and Katie thought it was really good.

We spent NY Eve watching the first three episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel".
I fell asleep the last hour. We then had popcorn and champagne and watched Dick Clark's NY Eve. I can't take much of it so I am going to try and find a movie.

NormM

NormM

Charlie really liked it the chicken recipe too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Niagara Visitor

No leftovers here.  I ate a bit of leftovers last night while watching two Trevor Noah specials on Netflix.  Gonna start the New year off by cooking again.  I haven't cooked anything since Dec. 24 Tonight I think it will be some salmon and vegetables.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not all that crazy about sun-dried tomatoes. The jarred variety tastes rotten to me and are mushy. The dried tomatoes you put in hot water are tough. I found a brand called California sun-dried that is like a dried apricot. It comes in bags in my produce dept. They taste very fresh to me.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Watching the Rose Parade for the umpteenth time. We used to live right where the parade floats would line up. It was such fun to go out and look at them. The Clydesdale horses were huge - like an elephant and pooped just as much. Fortunately, Budweiser had their own pooper scooper who kept the street clean.
It is so interesting to see how the Rose Court has changed over the years. Back in the day, all of the girls were very pretty. Now I see that the queen is a very smart jewish girl who wears glasses and is a lesbian. Who-da thunk? And the president of the Tournament of Roses is a black man. Back in the day it was old money Pasadena or San Marino and usually a member of the Valley Hunt Club. Times, they are a- changing (Bob Dylan?).

NormM

NormM

New Years day dinner was the same as always, sort of.  The store had pork shanks. A brand I have had before. It was mostly bone with just a bite or two of pork. Pork not ham. So I got a nice sliced ham and cut the meaty bone end off.  You know the end that is never sliced and hard to get the meat off. I have a butchers bone saw that I used to cut the bone. I cooked it with the black eyed peas and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted just like ham shanks or ham hocks, plus there was a lot more meat for future meals. We also had collards and cornbread.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 20190110

Bugster2

Bugster2

Now that is a real southern meal. My mother would have loved it.

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:Norm, I have made that recipe with the cream, spinach. Joe and Katie thought it was really good.

We spent NY Eve watching the first three episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel".
I fell asleep the last hour. We then had popcorn and champagne and watched Dick Clark's NY Eve. I can't take much of it so I am going to try and find a movie.

Love Mrs Maisel. Best show on air. I breezed thru 2nd season so fast and now are anxiously awaiting the 3rd season

10NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My sister-in-law did all the cooking today. I felt lost...... but her kitchen is tiny and only big enough for one to work in. We had a blueberry marinated pork tenderloin w/blueberry salsa, collard greens, black eyed peas, rutabaga mash and a skillet of cornbread. She's born and bred in the south so it's all very familiar comfort food for her. Everything was delicious. I have some pics that I'll post when I get home to my computer. Happy New Year everyone!

11NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your meal and description made my mouth water! Yum!

12NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:New Years day dinner was the same as always, sort of.  The store had pork shanks. A brand I have had before. It was mostly bone with just a bite or two of pork. Pork not ham. So I got a nice sliced ham and cut the meaty bone end off.  You know the end that is never sliced and hard to get the meat off. I have a butchers bone saw that I used to cut the bone. I cooked it with the black eyed peas and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted just like ham shanks or ham hocks, plus there was a lot more meat for future meals. We also had collards and cornbread.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 20190110

Looks good Norm! I had to laugh about an experience I had when I was a 16 year old working with dad; installing a new toilet in the lady's house ( Marie ).
I was on a 6 foot ladder and with a sawzall, I was cutting a lead pipe off the toilet, and when the lady saw that, she asked, "Oh Jimmy Junior, Could you cut this ham in half for me with that nice saw?"

I told her I had a brand new blade, but.................All she did was wipe off the blade with her greasy apron, and there we were, as I was cutting, and her and dad were holding the ham as I cut it. Razz I never laughed so much in all my life! affraid

13NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:33 am

Niagara Visitor

Sis and I went out for our first "lupper" (late lunch early supper) today.  We went to one of our favourite places and shared what they called a 2 pound pork chop.  Very interesting way to serve it.  It was grilled with the curved rib attached, the bit of meat and fatty part on the rib grilled also.  Fat had cuts about every inch.  Yummy!  

I don't think I explained it well, but I thought good for the restaurant to figure out how to serve that rib part with which they really can't do much on its own.  If they had served just the part that is the normal chop, they might have been able to sell it for $15.00, but it looked so impressive, I paid $28.00............... Anyone see a chop presented that way before?

14NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes I have had a chop like what you described. Years ago. It was really good. I love eating the fat on a pork chop when it is a bit crispy.

We had eggs benedict for dinner. I didn't like it. We used Jones brand Canadian bacon and I thought it tasted metallic. Katie didn't eat. She drank Bloody Marys. I had one sip of just the Mrs. T's base and got a stomach ache. Can't tolerate the spice in it.

15NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Yes I have had a chop like what you described. Years ago. It was really good. I love eating the fat on a pork chop when it is a bit crispy.

We had eggs benedict for dinner. I didn't like it. We used Jones brand Canadian bacon and I thought it tasted metallic. Katie didn't eat. She drank Bloody Marys. I had one sip of just the Mrs. T's base and got a stomach ache. Can't tolerate the spice in it.

It looked sort of like what I have learned is called a cowboy steak, but the bone was quite long.  There was a bit of meat on that part, and the whole chop was plenty for both of us to share.

16NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We got home from my brother's late this afternoon ~ thank goodness the drive is only a little over 4 hours.  I hate driving on I-75.....CRAZY drivers!

Our New Year's celebration was directed by my sister-in-law, Elaine.  Chuck use to be a very good cook but he let Elaine take the reins in the kitchen.  She's a born & bred Southerner so it was a lot of fun to observe how she cooked traditional southern dishes.

The first evening we were there she had a ham and made a 'tried & true' southern squash casserole.  Everything was really tasty.  Unfortunately, I must have been tired from the drive and never thought to grab my phone to take any pics.

But I did get some shots of our New Year's Day 'good luck' meal:

Blueberry marinated pork tenderloin with blueberry salsa, black eyed peas, collard greens and mashed rutabagas with a skillet of southern cornbread.  I don't normally go for 'seconds', but the collards and black eyed peas were worth moaning over a too full belly!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_10

And I learned something new ~ Southern black eyed peas are wonderful when you top them with raw onion and a spoonful of chow chow relish!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_11

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_12

17NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Talking about Thursday here.
Supper was a ham and cheese on whole wheat bread with mayo.

biscotti cookies, and late tonight, a piece of quiche lorraine that Tina made two of.
Ham, cheese, broccoli, and eggs and cream.

18NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We got home from my brother's late this afternoon ~ thank goodness the drive is only a little over 4 hours.  I hate driving on I-75.....CRAZY drivers!

Our New Year's celebration was directed by my sister-in-law, Elaine.  Chuck use to be a very good cook but he let Elaine take the reins in the kitchen.  She's a born & bred Southerner so it was a lot of fun to observe how she cooked traditional southern dishes.

The first evening we were there she had a ham and made a 'tried & true' southern squash casserole.  Everything was really tasty.  Unfortunately, I must have been tired from the drive and never thought to grab my phone to take any pics.

But I did get some shots of our New Year's Day 'good luck' meal:

Blueberry marinated pork tenderloin with blueberry salsa, black eyed peas, collard greens and mashed rutabagas with a skillet of southern cornbread.  I don't normally go for 'seconds', but the collards and black eyed peas were worth moaning over a too full belly!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_10

And I learned something new ~ Southern black eyed peas are wonderful when you top them with raw onion and a spoonful of chow chow relish!

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_11

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_01_12

Great looking meal .....

19NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, Friday, will be grilled filet mignon steaks that Tina picked up at BJ's Warehouse yesterday.
We have a new grill/ panini/ griddle, on way here to be delivered Today.

DD bought us one for Christmas at BB & B but it was an electronic digital control type; and had to be programmed with temp and time etc. Way too much to just cook a steak.
She took it back, and I ordered the one from amazon
We can't wait.

20NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been thinking of getting an electric 'smokeless' grill just to do Korean BBQ at my counter or table. But then I think about where I'm going to store the thing and I nix the idea. If I really want to give it a try I can always borrow Lyn's (I think I'd have to order a grate to grill on 'just-in-case' the Korean BBQ made a mess of HER grill grate.....). I just don't want to have another piece of cooking stuff that has no permanent home in my cabinets.

It looked like it was going to rain last evening but I wanted something lighter than the meals we've been eating over the holiday. I wanted a charcoal grilled burger. And the rain blew through without a drop so I was a happy camper! The idea of a lightly charred onion slice always makes me smile. I had seen a pic of someone's macaroni salad on Facebook yesterday morning so that was what put me in the mood for a grilled burger and mac salad.....and it was either reheat the veg or just pull 'em out of the freezer and toss 'em. It surprised me how well they held up ~ the freezer didn't hurt the texture at all. Who'd a thunk?

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_03_10

21NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't know how big the smokeless grille is, or how much room you have for storage, but I have a portable butane grille that I got at Costco a few years ago. It is very compact and we have used it to grill Korean BBQ.  I put a grate I put over the burners, then put some non-stick foil over that and cook on it.

22NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Do you use it on your table? I don't want to burn down the house but I thought it would be a fun, interactive meal to do with friends.....

It might be nice if I ever got to go to a Korean BBQ Restaurant and saw how it's suppose to be done. I'm just guessing on grilling the meats & veg on a grill in the middle of the table.

((It's so sad to be ignorant of different cuisines......))

24NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's interesting......not sure if I'm ready to put a gas grill on my dining room table, even if I do put it on a wooden cutting board to protect my table. I wonder if my house insurance covers stupidity on my part???? LOL

I decided to look at what was in the freezer out in the garage this morning, hoping for inspiration of something to cook. As I was poking around I must have nudged the Pyrex casserole of the Cottage Pie too close to the edge. Lightning Quick Reflexes saved it before it smashed on the concrete floor!

So, Cottage Pie it was. And as long as I was there I decided to grab the jar of pickled golden beets I made a few months ago. They tasted just like the pickled RED beets but the color wasn't right ~ I was kind of hoping Dane would decide not to eat any, since they're one of my favorite meal additions, but he took some ~ and then there were none. ((sigh))

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? 01_04_10

25NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been thinking about the differences in how my sister-in-law, Elaine, cooked our New Year's Day 'good luck' dinner and the differences in our cooking styles. I've made all the dishes she made but the method of cooking was different, as well as the flavor of the end results.

She made black eyed peas, something I never had growing up, but have made as an adult. I made mine by soaking the dry peas (or what I would call 'beans') in water overnight. I made a ham stock by simmering ham hocks and/or ham bone in a pot of water with onion, celery and carrot ~ then strained the stock, cooled and stored in the refrigerator overnight to remove the fat. Then I cooked the soaked peas with chopped onion and some grated or chopped carrot, added a lid to the pan and let it simmer away until the peas were tender.

Elaine had a different cooking method. She started with about half a pot of water in a Dutch oven on the stove top and added pieces of smoked pork jowl and onion that she 'chunked' into the pot. She let it cook at a slow boil until the onion was soft. Then she added her dry peas - just sorted and rinsed, not soaked overnight. The pot was brought back to a boil and then simmered without a lid for a couple hours until the peas were soft. I noticed she rarely stirred the pot, but just allowed it to simmer away and allow the water to evaporate. When the peas were tender to her taste she pulled the pork jowl out of the pot. The pot of peas was perfectly cooked and thick with just a bit of 'pot licker', or juice, to be soaked up by a slice of cornbread when she ate her peas served in a bowl and topped with raw onion and a spoonful of chow-chow relish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum