Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration

+4
cookingirl
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
Imelda HL
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 12]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:My Goodness.... Tina and I just ate the Shepherds Pie, and we are getting hungry just looking at your stuffed cabootchki Beth!

What meat do you use in the filling? Rice too?.....

It's a combo of ground beef and ground pork....and cooked rice.  The sweet/sour tomato sauce is the main flavoring componant.

Here's a link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/stuffed-cabbage-rolls-galumpkis-recipe.html

Like I said, I add 1/2 c. cider vinegar and 1/4 c. brown sugar instead of his listed red wine vinegar & 1 Tbsp. of sugar.  (Oh, and I leave out the garlic due to Dane's sensitivity....usually add 1/2 t. garlic powder.)

Yeah!... good that you eliminated all that garlic. Garlic overpowers halupki.
They call for onions.....
Tina's grandmother always cooked them with and in sauerkraut. She made a rue, and made like a white thin sauce to bake them in.

I'm glad you and Dane enjoyed them!... They really look great! ( mouth watering)

You know what's a joke? .... our kids and even granddaughter will not eat them.
Only my DIL loves them. Son Jim used to eat them when Tina would wrap his in foil so they wouldn't touch the cabbage, and we never mentioned the word cabbage. Then he wised up and saw them cooking one day, and that was it.
They immediately became yucky! lol!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Both our girls like cabbage and sauerkraut....only 1 out of 3 grandchildren don't care for it. Someday we'll make a convert of him, too.

Barbara101

Barbara101

going to hit 70` today,,I may have to grill something.. January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 512660330

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:going to hit 70` today,,I may have to grill something.. January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 512660330

I just rubbed some 'rib rub' on a rack of St. Louis. Dane has late lunch with golf group today so I'll put 'em out on the grill tomorrow. Love when the seasoning has a couple days to soak in!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I think we are having a French Toast casserole that DD made and dropped off yesterday!.... I won't eat it if it has scrambled egg stuck to it, so we shall see!
We were supposed to have it this morn, but Tina had to work at the church this morning.
yuck!...We were supposed to have chuck stew, and T bought some beautiful chuck steaks. That fizzled out because it is so warm out. It's like 36º and that is not a calling for comfort food.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 Grilledchorizo2

Getting ready to put these on the grill. Skewered ...Went in the Mexican grocery today & bought some made by them... Chorizo ..

bethk

bethk
Admin

looks like a winner-winner dinner!

Barbara101

Barbara101

I better get a move on too.Going to get dark 30 soon..

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 Grilledchorizo5_thumb3

NormM

NormM

I didn't use a recipe but this is pretty much the same as Cordon bleu. Also had sweet potatoes baked with apples and asparagus.

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 DSCN2244_zpsf3d5dfb9

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks really tasty, Norm. Love the apples with the sweet potatoes, too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Every ones food looks great!

We had the French toast casserole.... I ate 1/2 of a slice on top. The bottom bread was wet.
Cooked, but wet with sugar syrup.
I then made a ham and cheese on a roll instead.
I have no clue what todays meal will be.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have leftover shrimp so I am making a mixed grill.I have some leftover chorizo too.Will throw some chicken thigh & broccoli in it..Over 70` again..So I will take of advantage of it.. January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 3267860543   January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 512660330

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have a patio party to attend this afternoon. I got up this morning and threw together a pineapple upside down cake to take since my Lemon Cornmeal cake was such a disaster yesterday.

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 PineappleUpsideDownCake

I didn't have any pineapple rings so I subbed a couple cans of crushed pineapple....I think it'll be easier to serve. Never thought of that before. Duhhhhh......

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 4056093967 January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 3593629538

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

At least everyone gets some pineapple evenly. Also, they wont have to saw through the pineapple rings with their forks. That's a plus!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup! It was a hit. And you are correct ~ it was much easier for people to eat and serve.....a little pineapple with every bite. I've got to remember to do that next time.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yup!  It was a hit.  And you are correct ~ it was much easier for people to eat and serve.....a little pineapple with every bite.  I've got to remember to do that next time.

Good show! .... I remember when mom bought the first Sunbeam electric skillet.

It was like the perfect easy peasy quick dessert!.... But!! It was like E V E R Y Week!.... It got to the point that when Dad came home from work, he would eye that upside down cake, and his eye's would roll back (while saying WoW! Again).

Mom would get Pxxxed off.... and brother and I would wind up snickering at the table. Mom would be in tears, and along came the, "No body appreciates what I cook anymore, and some choice words toward dad!" When Ma went upstairs, dad would say, Geeze, "I wonder what the heck your mother is gonna dream up to make for the next four weeks dessert?"

Us kids had no clue, and never put our 2 cents in under those conditions. It could backfire.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made Yin Yang Soup out of some leftover crab (it is supposed to be lobster).January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 <a href=January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 IMG_1310" />

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 Grilledmeats3

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow Bugs,That looks awesome..  January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 4137497845

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 Grilled%20meats4

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Bugster ~ what is that on the top? Taro root? Love the way you put your ying/yang together.

Geeze Louise, Barb....your 'leftovers' look just as good as the original meal. Nice

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is on the top is a piece of fried lotus root.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 7 2453703928

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum