Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration

+4
cookingirl
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
Imelda HL
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, you ought to try Pepcid Complete. They are chewable tabs and do a good job on the stomach. I must have either picked up some bug somewhere or ate something that wasn't quite right. All I can think of is the egg I had this morning. My lower gut hurts but no trots just pain.

Thanks bugs..
I chewed a tums soft chew, and the enzymes seemed to stop the acid flow.

I think tomorrow I will suggest hot dogs. Tina likes BBQ hot dogs cooked slow in a BBQ sauce made from brown sugar / onions / ketchup / celery / vinegar . / and water and worchestershire sauce.
I will just have a few chili dogs ....

I put split top Hot Dog buns on the tomorrow shopping list.

For me to think about food, I must be feeling better! LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

Good thing the 3 of us do not live in the same house.. Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes affraid

I had toast & scrambled eggs.Plain, no butter or jam..Jimmy I could never eat that with just being 'cleaned' out & gassy..  I may eat light again today..Just to be safe..

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was up all night with my gut and it still hurts this morning. If it continues DH and roomie will have to fend for themselves tonight. They were planning on salmon with me making an herbed butter sauce and spiral zucchini.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was up all night with my gut and it still hurts this morning. If it continues DH and roomie will have to fend for themselves tonight. They were planning on salmon with me making an herbed butter sauce and spiral zucchini.

Oh, No! .... bugs, do you have cream cheese?. That on toast is a good thing to eat with a sik tummy. Ginger Ale is good to drink, but stir it a little so the carbonated bubbles are less ....... FEEL BETTER!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Was supposed to be chili dogs / hot dogs, but T bought a cooked chicken breast ( for gabe and her )

I will have a nice ham / cheese / tomato / onion / lettuce on light toast. A shmear of Mayo!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, the problem with Tums or any other calcium carbonate based antacid is that it initially does the job but when it wears off there is something called "the rebound effect" where the acid can come back but even worse than before. It is better to use an antacid that is magnesium based, like Maalox or a generic (Walmart makes a good Equate brand generic). They work better but if you take too much it will work like a laxative, which isn't so bad sometimes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I stopped and picked up another butternut squash to replace the dried out one I tossed. I wanted it baked to have with my braised pork steaks and lima beans.

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 012815

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Ham4

Look familiar?  January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 2876911673

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Ham5

bethk

bethk
Admin

good stuff, Maynard.....

lol

(it's like an itch you just gotta scratch....once you get that meal in your head, nothing else sounds good)

NormM

NormM

Cassie made dinner tonight. It was very good. She took a chuck roast i got the other day and made flautas, guacamole, black beans and salsa as well as a Mexican rice dish.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight.

Don't know what Dane wants as I only have one meal of whatever in the refrigerator. He'll decide and then I'll have whatever is left.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot Ta Dogs Ahh

So Quick and easy....but tasty too!

I just have to remember to chew first, and not wolf them down like a hungry dog. LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Pork%20and%20beans6

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Pork%20and%20beans7

Niagara Visitor

My friend and her 12 year old daughter came for our weekly "date" tonight. Generally on Tuesday night, but this week Thursday. We spend an hour in the pool in my building, then have supper. I made a pot full of chili yesterday a pound of ground beef, tomatoes, beans, some mushrooms and celery. It was yummy!

Young Joy took the last for lunch for school tomorrow!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Pork%20and%20beans7

Yum ~ beans & pork....a perfect pairing. Did you start with dried or do canned (like I've been prone to cooking lately)?

I like the addition of the tomatoes & rosemary. I'm not usually a big fan of rosemary, but if it's not too much to be 'pine-y' I think it adds a depth of flavor to the dish, bringing out the taste of the other ingredients.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:My friend and her 12 year old daughter came for our weekly "date" tonight.  Generally on Tuesday night, but this week Thursday.  We spend an hour in the pool in my building, then have supper.  I made a pot full of chili yesterday a pound of ground beef, tomatoes, beans, some mushrooms and celery.  It was yummy!  

How nice you had enough to send along for her lunch. I find it amazing that, after spending an hour playing in the pool, the pot of chili wasn't 'inhaled', including the bowls it was served in! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, the problem with Tums or any other calcium carbonate based antacid is that it initially does the job but when it wears off there is something called "the rebound effect" where the acid can come back but even worse than before. It is better to use an antacid that is magnesium based, like Maalox or a generic (Walmart makes a good Equate brand generic). They work better but if you take too much it will work like a laxative, which isn't so bad sometimes.

Sorry bugs,,......just saw this. Thanks for the info Doctor Bugster MD.
We have malox, and liquid di-gel.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yum ~ beans & pork....a perfect pairing. Did you start with dried or do canned (like I've been prone to cooking lately)?

HA canned.When HT has them for on sale I buy buy buy..I use these white beans up fast.

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:My friend and her 12 year old daughter came for our weekly "date" tonight.  Generally on Tuesday night, but this week Thursday.  We spend an hour in the pool in my building, then have supper.  I made a pot full of chili yesterday a pound of ground beef, tomatoes, beans, some mushrooms and celery.  It was yummy!  

How nice you had enough to send along for her lunch.  I find it amazing that, after spending an hour playing in the pool, the pot of chili wasn't 'inhaled', including the bowls it was served in!  LOL

Thanks. Actually, I forgot when I posted that everyone was so hungry, we ate before going into the pool. As for lunch, Joy basically eats everything, and I try to make something so that leftovers are good. They now have a spot in my bathroom where they keep their pool things. No point in taking them home just to bring them back in a few days. It helps me stay in the pool longer when they come.

And, speaking of lunches, the schools seem to have become really ridiculous here in the rules regarding what children can bring for lunch........... Not just peanuts are banned, but all nuts, seafood, bananas, eggs, dairy. I wanted to give her a can of V8 as a drink, not allowed. They are not allowed ANY cans. Nothing even made with dairy/eggs, like a muffin or cookie. I'm surprised that the chili is allowed, doesn't it tend to give people gas? And isn't that dangerous?

I am leaving in a little while to go visit "Uncle Ernie". Hubby's uncle who also has to sell his country place and downsize. He is 82 and in very good shape, but age does have a way of creeping up. I have a rabbit in the freezer, and some Lake Erie perch courtesy of my fisherman son, both are going with me, so Unc can take a breather from cooking for a couple of days. I also have some cabbage that will become a coleslaw to take along. Everyone seems to like my Texas coleslaw out of one of my favourite cookbooks "America Cooks" a collection of recipes from the Women's Clubs of America.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm getting to really hate planning meals. I want something different but nothing comes to mind. I saw a quart of chicken in broth in the freezer and had to decide what to do with it. I ended up making a chicken noodle casserole. Now I have two more small casserole dishes in the freezer....gotta eat the two stuffed cabbage casseroles just to make some room.

I use to be so organized in my freezer. But no longer. I just stash stuff in there (although I do try to be sure everything is labeled as to what it is). I've got to stop doing that and plan some meals around what's already available.

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 013015

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 221942_212451218783157_2381262_n

Barbara101

Barbara101

January, 2015 ~ A New Year of Meal Inspiration - Page 11 Potato%20gratin3

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a jumbled up supper tonight.
Tina wanted pizza, and I didn't want to make it....
GD is going out to a nice Italian restaurant with her BF.

I had a chicken salad sandwich on a split top roll and with romaine lettuce.
/I made the salad; so I know it was well cooked, and picked clean of all fat / skin / etc.

Tina had bread and butter from the Italian bakery she stopped at on the way to her uncles in West Orange, NJ.

Gabe had a ham & cheese on rye. FOR Lunch at 4:00. He woke up at 12:30 today and is out of whack with meal times.

Barb....the ham looks really delicious. And those crispy potatoes. ummmm!!

BETH .....How did DANE like the casserole??.... And YOU?

And as far as having the well organized freezer. NOT.... Tina said, join the club!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum