Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring?

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your meal looks DELICIOUS, as usual! I'm sorry your cabbage didn't cooperate to participate in your meal ~ but I doubt you went hungry without it. LOL

I just saw a program (Southern cooking theme) and they were cooking their cabbage over charcoal on the grill. For some reason it sounded really good to me. There were 2 cooks and one put the cabbage wedges directly on the grill (both drizzled with some oil) and the other cook put hers into a 'fish basket' so it was all held together and easy to turn....that seemed like the best way to accomplish the most even grilling. One of these days I'll give it a try.....

(just don't hold your breath until you see it from me.........Hahahahaha!)

NormM and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thought I would have a really easy cooking day ~ I just have to get the vegetables prepped to simmer and let the sliced corned beef reheat.  

But then I got this idea I wanted a Rhubarb Custard Pie.....it's rhubarb time!  So, I set off to check if Publix had any fresh rhubarb.  That's where I found it a few years ago.  I looked and, no, none to be found.  But I did ask and the clerk said they are getting it in at this time but it sells out quickly.  She suggested I call on Monday or Tuesday to see if they get some more in.

So, darn it!

But when I was driving home I thought I may as well stop at Sprouts since I was going past.  They didn't have any and when I asked a clerk he said they didn't carry fresh but it was in the frozen fruit area.

Who'd a thunk???  It never crossed my mind to see if there was frozen rhubarb!

Ta Da!!!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_14

So, I headed back to Walmart to get a refrigerated pie crust ~ and a can of Carnation Evaporated Milk.  And, yes, I do think the refrigerated pie crust is just fine.  Especially if I don't feel like making pastry.

So, my pie is now in the oven.  It bakes for an hour and 15 minutes.....I sure hope it has time to cool completely so I can cut it for our dessert tonight!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_25

It's after 3:00.....I don't think my pie will be cool enough to cut until late tonight.

HE goes to be way to early so I'm guessing I'll be the only one to have pie tonight! LOL

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_26

cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

Cookin Lore

The pie looks amazing. I've had a bug in my brain about a rib recipe that I had years ago that someone called "Chinese style ribs" Thought for sure I had it in a folder, NOPE. I remember that there was celery, onion, red pepper in chunks and crushed pineapple. From the juice in the pineapple can I made a sauce which I know had soya sauce in it, And something to thicken it, probably corn or potato starch. I think I combined the chopped veggies with the pineapple and sauce, and put that on top of the ribs. Then baked them. I don't remember what spices, so I'm going to wing it. Fingers crossed, wish me luck!

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm sure your ribs will be delicious, Lore. It's fun to get an idea in our head and then just go with our instincts.

And thank you for the inspiration......yesterday I minced up a couple Kalamata olives and a few green stuffed olives and mixed them into some softened cream cheese.

Today I have an accompaniment for my supper......Stuffed Celery!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_27

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy St. Patrick's Day !!!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_28

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_29

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

JanaAZ

Last night we had chicken piccata with risotto and roasted asparagus. We had a friend over for dinner and I needed something simple to make. I was going to make a banana cream pie per his request but I pulled my back and couldn’t roll out dough. So I had some cake in the freezer and I mascerated
some strawberries and whipped some cream. Not banana cream pie but a good substitute. No photos of that.

I made the corned beef and cabbage the other day so all I need to do is heat it up. However since I went to the store…I bought a pie crust. Don’t tell anyone though lol. Photos of this when it’s done

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 Img_1310

bethk

bethk
Admin

No shame in a purchased pie crust, Judy.

I never thought I'd be one saying that's what I do.....I made pie crusts without measuring for years...a few scoops of flour, a bit of salt, some spoonfuls of Crisco, pastry cutter or knives to combine ~ then to the kitchen sink with the bowl, turn on the cold (well) water and just put in straight from the tap.

It came out perfect every time.

Then they changed Crisco to make it healthy for us.

Pillsbury refrigerated crusts are just fine for me!

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. First I had a lovely salad of the lettuce I grow in my small hydroponic aero garden. Then, the disaster of what is what I remembered of a rib dish from maybe 30 years ago! Ribs were edible but only because I was hungry and had nothing else! Tomorrow is another day!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_30

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_31

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today for me was Pi Day ~ aka: Pie Day....Rhubarb Custard Pie / first pie of Spring

The first piece is never the best looking ~ but the taste is there for me.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_32

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_17_33

JanaAZ likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I made air fried (in my convection oven) chicken tenders and smushed potatoes with microwaved asparagus.  Easy and very little mess.  WAY better than frying in spattering oil on the stove top!

When I'm going to have chicken tenders I cut the chicken to size and marinate in (usually) buttermilk mixed with some garlic chili paste ~ but I didn't have any buttermilk so I subbed a small amount of half & half.  The protein takes the spice out of the chili paste and still leaves a nice flavor from the seasoning.  After marinating for an hour or so I press the chicken into plain panko crumbs and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan to sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator until it's time to bake them (allows the panko to absorb the marinade and stay stuck on the chicken) ~ they only take about 20 minutes in total, turned about half way.

The asparagus gets put into a microwave safe casserole, about 2 Tbsp. water and a bit of salt added then covered with plastic wrap and microwaved on high for 3 minutes. Allowed to sit for another couple minutes before pulling back an edge of the plastic wrap to drain and then seasoned with some butter and s&p. Same for broccoli or cauliflower, too.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_18_16

When I use parchment to line a pan I tear it off the roll at the size I need and I crumple it up.  Then I smooth it back out and it's much easier to get it to form to the shape of the inside of the pan.  It works for sheet pans, 9X13 and even pie plates.  

Cookin Lore

It all looks and sounds great.  I saw a kitchen hack on the net the other day where they showed that when lining a pan, cut the corners so that the parchment fits easier.  I was busy today just doing stuff  in my condo.  Organized part of my pantry, I have enough Balsamic to last me a lifetime.  Threw a few things out, then I had some plants that needed re-potting.  The last plant is heavy, and the pot it's in is real heavy.  I'm getting too old to move them around.  

Had two pieces of chicken thigh, the last of the butternut squash in my fridge, and a half of one of those purple sweet potatoes.  I am having some surgery on Friday, so I'm trying to organize things here.  Thursday I'll get whatever fruit and fresh veggies I will want the next few days, as I won't be driving for a while.  Organized my little freezer on Saturday, and I surely don't need to buy any meat or fish.  Sending a picture of my dinner.

Edit: Last night. Not very balanced. Nothing green! But it was tasty. Love those purple sweet potatoes.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_18_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had to take her car in for service so we spent the day in Orlando....great fun day!

She is always up for trying a new-to-us place and today was DimSum King & Seafood Restaurant. We're pretty sure it's an authentic Chinese restaurant because the daily specials were written in Chinese on a chalkboard at the entrance. That and the fact she and I were the only caucasian old women there. We were a little late for the lunch crowd so we didn't have any problem getting a table. Our waiter was very kind and showed us how to mark what we wanted on the menu.

Not knowing exactly what to try we decided on Shrimp w/Chive steamed dumplings and Pork Soup dumplings ~ then we went 'safe' for our lunch with what we were both familiar with. Lyn had her chicken fried rice and I ordered vegetable lo mein. We ate the shrimp & chive dumplings before I remembered to pick up my phone that I purposely left sitting on the table by my hand....I must have been excited.....and they were excellent. The dumpling almost tasted like a rice wrapper ~ nothing I've tasted before. The pork soup dumplings were good ~ the broth inside was very rich and the little pork 'meatball' enclosed in the dumpling wrapper had good ginger flavor notes.

Lyn loved her fried rice ~ she loved it had lots of vegetables, egg & fairly large pieces of chicken. But it was the texture of the rice and the seasoning she really liked.

My lo mein was fabulous. It had lots more vegetables than show in the picture....and for me it was the texture and flavor of the noodles. When I've had the dish before it just tasted like spaghetti noodles. The lo mein noodles were almost chewy ~ and in a really good way. The flavor was so good. Everything was well seasoned and the vegetables were cooked but still tender crisp. I don't usually bring leftovers home but I did today and reheated them for my supper.

When we know we're going on a shopping spree we always take a cooler in the car with us. Worked well to keep our leftovers 'safe' and not let my purchase of bok choy (2 kinds) from the Asian market fresh. It always amazes me how reasonably priced the vegetables are.

And, Lore, I'm SO excited! They had the purple sweet potatoes!!!

Tomorrow I'll make pork chops or something they will compliment. I can't wait to see if they're the same as you get.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_19_19

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_19_20

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_19_21

NormM and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Small sort of pizza on a piece of naan. Cheese, sausage, olives, hot peppers and anchovies. Ok but I’ve definitely made better. But, I got sidetracked today, visited a friend in my building and didn’t feel ambitious."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_19_22

bethk

bethk
Admin

You know I love shopping at the Asian market in Orlando. Here's the bok choy and bok choy tips ~ and the Japanese Purple flesh sweet potatoes I got. The bok choy was only $0.99/lb. and the two sweet potatoes totaled $2.69 ($1.99/lb.)

I think they are all an incredible value when compared to what is the price around our area grocery stores ~ and what the Asian market sells is amazingly fresh by comparison.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_19_23

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"We have two different kinds. The long one is white inside. And the smaller one is purple inside. I can’t tell by your picture which one you have. Good luck."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_20_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, oh BOY! Our supper was excellent.

I grilled over charcoal and the flavor of the hardwood charcoal was perfect for my meal. I used some marinade I had made up in the refrigerator to baste the pork and bok choy tips. It added a nice bit of sweet, salty and 'yum' ~ my sweet potato got cooked in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes and then dried a bit on the top grill grate while the other things grilled.

HE noticed how creamy the Japanese sweet potato was and liked the thin skin that could easily be eaten with the flesh.

I've had the white ones before and wasn't as impressed ~ not as much flavor to me and definitely NOT creamy. I will be picking up more of the purple ones when I have the chance.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_20_16

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_20_17

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

This recipe with the silly name (Spicy Marry Me Chicken) was in the Kansas City Star a few days ago and I decided to try it today. Charlie said how much he liked this recipe three of four times during and after the meal.  It had two ingredients that I could not find at the store and had to substitute. One was sun-dried tomatoes.  This store had them before but not today. Another was canned-in-oil calabrian chiles. I substituted tomato paste and canned  chopped jalapeño chilies. I also substituted fresh mozzarella chiles for the goat cheese. There are several goat cheeses I don't care for but I don't remember which ones and preferred not to take a chance.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 Img_1512

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Boy, oh BOY! Our supper was excellent.

I grilled over charcoal and the flavor of the hardwood charcoal was perfect for my meal.  I used some marinade I had made up in the refrigerator to baste the pork and bok choy tips.  It added a nice bit of sweet, salty and 'yum' ~ my sweet potato got cooked in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes and then dried a bit on the top grill grate while the other things grilled.

HE noticed how creamy the Japanese sweet potato was and liked the thin skin that could easily be eaten with the flesh.  

I've had the white ones before and wasn't as impressed ~ not as much flavor to me and definitely NOT creamy.  I will be picking up more of the purple ones when I have the chance.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_20_16

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_20_17

Oh, that steak looks so good!  I surely still miss having those yummy foods grilled over our firepit.  If I had to choose one protein over all, it would be a great, grilled steak.  I'm pleased to read that you also found those sweet potatoes "creamy".  That was my first thought.  And isn't the colour amazing?  "they" say to eat the rainbow, and the foods with intense colours are the best for us, then these purple yummies must be off the chart healthy!

PS on edit. I agree about the flavour of the white ones, not as flavourful, compared with regular orangy sweet potatoes, they are blah!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thankful I thought to 'save' some of the sliced corned beef when we had it for St. Patrick's Day supper. Tonight it got made into Reuben Sandwiches. I made a simple salad to go with the sandwiches. HIS was traditional with Swiss cheese. Mine was made with mozzarella slices.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_21_23

Cookin Lore

No

No cooking today. Uncle Ernie that I've talked about many times I guess, likes to go to the Mandarin, and Ontario Chinese food buffet franchise. So, that's what I had today. Lots of good foods. Yumm. No food picture. I'll send a picture of the two of us instead!

cookingirl

cookingirl

The Rabbi in here is from Israel and is a vegetarian. We have a mix of religions in here. The building and Corporate is Jewish; here, a Rabbi, with their food restrictions. This one is female, young and fairly cool.

She is having a vegetarian Cooking class every 2 weeks. I have been to 2 of them. Really good food, with a ton of Cumin and Turmeric in her recipes. Not really recipes, she just throws things together. She has tried to print out recipes and pass them out.

The last one was a Middleeastern Rice & Beans, served with an Isreali salad. She left out the raw onions because of me. That was so nice of her. The meal was served with a dressing of Tahini, lemon juice, some grated lemon peel, and of course, Cumin. She uses a ton of lemon juice, and caramelized onions.

All I can say is that both the salad and rice/beans were delicious! Absolutely delicious!  I think I am going to try the recipes this week.
I know they will not come out as good as hers. She uses special lentils-- expensive and Tahini directly from Israel, sold in very few Jewish butcher and specialty shops.
I never heard of Beluga lentils, until she used them. They are delish, but very expensive.

A few weeks ago, she made a delicious Lentil soup--- made with orange lentils.. or were they pink.. I think orange. They just melted into the soup. This soup had potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, tons of Cumin and a lot of Turmeric.  Again, delish!

Thinking the rice & beans, with the salad should be a good option for this week of Lent.

The soup does not hold up well with freezing. It also thickens up a ton overnight in the refrigerator.

She makes one pot before the class and another during. We sit, and sample the food, after the class. The aromas are amazing. The entire staff rush in to grab some.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I asked HIM, "What would you like for supper?"

HE answered, "I don't know. What do you have in mind?"

To which I said, "Same as you......I DON'T KNOW !!!"

Finally, HE came up with the idea to have hamburgers or hot dogs. That's all I needed to pull a couple burger patties from their freezer packs and start a couple eggs steaming to go into some macaroni or potato salad.

And that's how meal planning is going around here.....

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_23_14

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Tonight I made air fried (in my convection oven) chicken tenders and smushed potatoes with microwaved asparagus.  Easy and very little mess.  WAY better than frying in spattering oil on the stove top!

When I'm going to have chicken tenders I cut the chicken to size and marinate in (usually) buttermilk mixed with some garlic chili paste ~ but I didn't have any buttermilk so I subbed a small amount of half & half.  The protein takes the spice out of the chili paste and still leaves a nice flavor from the seasoning.  After marinating for an hour or so I press the chicken into plain panko crumbs and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan to sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator until it's time to bake them (allows the panko to absorb the marinade and stay stuck on the chicken) ~ they only take about 20 minutes in total, turned about half way.

The asparagus gets put into a microwave safe casserole, about 2 Tbsp. water and a bit of salt added then covered with plastic wrap and microwaved on high for 3 minutes.  Allowed to sit for another couple minutes before pulling back an edge of the plastic wrap to drain and then seasoned with some butter and s&p.  Same for broccoli or cauliflower, too.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 03_18_16

When I use parchment to line a pan I tear it off the roll at the size I need and I crumple it up.  Then I smooth it back out and it's much easier to get it to form to the shape of the inside of the pan.  It works for sheet pans, 9X13 and even pie plates.  

Beth, did you spray oil on your chicken before you baked them? I just bought another air fryer and I like to use it a lot.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Last week I went out for brunch with my girl friends at an eatery called Teaspoon, I ordered Lobster and crab meat omelet (the meats were tiny little bit ), it was very good. Last Friday I made some, no lobster, no crab meat, but shrimp meat; I sauteed my shrimps ( lots of them ) with onion, garlic, spinach, finely chopped broccoli, chopped red bell pepper, basic seasoning with salt and pepper, I took out most of the juice, made omelet with 2 eggs ( should have made it with 3 eggs, 2 eggs was a bit too thin  ), I added some cheese on top of my vegetable filling, they were good

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 43278010

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 4 43422210

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's always fun when you can get inspiration from a restaurant dish!

It was nice you created one with what YOU had available and I'm sure it was delicious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum