Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring?

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Well, it was an afternoon ‘snack” on one of the beautiful live edge boards that I have from my son. Wood from a tree in their backyard!  I had a planning meeting of our social committee in my condo this afternoon, so this is what I served. See the pretty Easter type little tablecloth?  For the first time, I saw jackfruit in the grocery store. It was cut in what seems to be quarters.  Interesting flavour. But not interesting enough to buy it again."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_10_25

Lore ~ your board is fabulous!  What a show piece....and one with 'history'!

Love the tablecloth, too!

Thanks, Beth.  I have several cutting boards made by my talented son, all with a history!  Will send some pictures with nothing on them, just to show the beauty. Those small, square tablecloths are very popular in Germany, made for pretty well any occasion. I have another one for Easter, as well as two for Christmas.

bethk, cookingirl and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"MY CUTTING BOARDS I have boards of all sizes. My fav is the one with all the small icees, those are end cuts, the light ones are oak from a tree from our farm. But they are all special, love the live edge also. I have boards of all sizes. My fav is the one with all the small icees, those are end cuts, the light ones are oak from a tree from our farm. But they are all special, love the live edge also."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_13

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_14

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_15

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_16

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, your boards are all stunning!

I think I shared the story about my 2 brothers and I having to 'flip' a coin to see who got Mom's PIG SHAPED CUTTING BOARD when we divided up her belongs.

It was the ONLY thing all 3 of us wanted!

Fortunately, I won the coin toss and I kept the board in my kitchen for a year ~ until the next Christmas. Then I sent it to my older brother in Georgia who kept it in his kitchen for a year and then sent it to our youngest brother who still lived in Ohio.

We sent it back & forth for about 5 years and then my rotten little brother decided to keep it forever~LOL Occasionally he posts pics of it on Facebook just to taunt me.

Hahahahahaha

cookingirl likes this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks.  In the end cut  board, besides the light oak, there are some dark strips.  They are from a slab of wood called Katalox or Mexican Royal Ebony.  My son wanted to make a headboard for my bed.  So we went to a local wood shop/dealer where we found this really fabulous slab of wood.  I bought a ten ft. section which Danny used, along with some of the oak from my farm, to make this fabulous headboard and bench.  There is no stain on the wood, just a clearcoat of varnish.  The dark is the centre of the tree, the light the outer edge.  The 10 ft. Katalox slab was $950.  and it weighs a ton!  Will send a picture of that.  You can see the live edge at the top of the headboard.,
Here’s a look at the headboard and bench with the bed made up! I had a pig cutting board also years ago. Don't know what happened to it.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_10

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing gets the culinary ideas going in your brain faster than inviting someone for supper when you don't have a plan of action at the time.....

LOL

Jim stopped by with a tool he wanted to show Dane. I knew I was going to have Johnsonville brats on the grill but didn't have any other sides in mind. But when you invite your Polish neighbor you have to think quick. I asked him if he liked German Potato Salad ~ had to explain it was a hot potato salad with bacon, onion and a sweet & sour dressing. I hooked him with that one! And just to finish things off I'll make a vegetable side I know is a favorite of his: steamed & buttered cabbage.

He is one who really appreciates a home cooked meal ~ but so many of the things I cook are things he can't (spicy) or won't (vegetables) eat. But if I'm making Haluski with smoked sausage, noodles and cabbage I know he's in. And pot roast with potatoes & carrots and lots of gravy is an invitation for sure.

So, even though he doesn't know if he's ever had the German Potato Salad, he's game to give it a try.

And, Lore, I know you said it wasn't anything you ever had or made. I have no idea which region of Germany it might be from. My mom (have I mentioned she wasn't the best cook in the world?) heated up cans of Read's German Potato Salad for our suppers ~ with hot dogs. But since I did like the flavor, just not the texture of the canned potatoes, I found a recipe I liked in my 1968 'gingham' Better Homes & Gardens loose leaf cookbook I received as a wedding shower gift. That dear cookbook has been my 'go-to' reference for lots of different recipes over the last 50+ years.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_17

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_18

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_19

Cookin Lore

I really don't know what German potato salad is. I came here when I was 11, and we were poor refugees in Germany after WWII, so what we ate was very basic. I do know from all our trips to Germany (hubby and I) that potato salad was definitely made with "Speck" in it. Bacon as it is in North America was not used in Germany, was not available even in grocery stores. I did most of the cooking in mother-in-law's house when there. The Speck is more like a prociutto than bacon. I have seen potato salads here in grocery stores called "German" and with the skins on. A true German would never eat the skin on any potato. However, they may have changed, it's now almost ten years since I was last there. They would probably have sauteed the onions in lard which is a staple in the German kitchen.

I know that when we were in the B&B biz, many German guests asked for crispy bacon and eggs for breakfast, because bacon was not available in Germany. I think many of the ethnic recipes, whether German or whatever, become Americanized. Have you ever made headcheese for your neighbour? Is he just of Polish decent, or an actual immigrant? He might like that also.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Headcheese is probably something Jim would NOT care for, and it's a moot point because I don't care for it and wouldn't make it! LOL

It has a texture similar to the cold pickled pigs feet my Grandpa ate with his stinky Limburger cheese. I don't know if it's the jellied component from the collagen when it's cooked or how tender and texture of the bits of meat....but it's not something I care for. To each their own!

Jim DOES like chicken livers & gizzards. Surprisingly there are a number of restaurants in Florida that have them on their menu. Alas, I'm not a fan of that meal either but I will occasionally cook some for Dane. I remember going to a restaurant in Michigan ~ Joe's Gizzard City....near Lansing, MI. It was a couple hours from our house in Ohio and we drove there with a bunch of people from Dane's classic car club. And, no, I didn't order any gizzards when I was there........

Hahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Again.......you know you can scroll past.......LOL

I simmered my Johnsonville Brats in (cheap) beer and water. Then, just before dinner they will get browned on the gas grill.

I browned my bacon and removed it to reserve for the salad. The chopped onions got simmered in the rendered bacon fat. Then I added some flour and sugar and just a tiny bit of celery seed (normally I'd use chopped celery but followed the recipe for a change). I then added a cup of the water I boiled the sliced potatoes in and also added the cider vinegar ~ adjusted the seasoning (added a bit more sugar) and let it simmer to get fully thick. I added more water a couple times because it really tightened up a lot.

The onions for the cabbage got started first and then the sliced cabbage went into the pan to saute low and slow.

Finally it was time to add the hot dressing to the warm sliced potatoes, added the chopped egg, bacon & chopped parsley.

And the last picture is my supper of Grilled Brats, Sauteed Cabbage and German Potato Salad.

I can report both Jim & Dane enjoyed their meals, too!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_20

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_21

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_22

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_23

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_24

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_25

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"MY CUTTING BOARDS I have boards of all sizes. My fav is the one with all the small icees, those are end cuts, the light ones are oak from a tree from our farm.  But they are all special, love the live edge also. I have boards of all sizes. My fav is the one with all the small icees, those are end cuts, the light ones are oak from a tree from our farm.  But they are all special, love the live edge also."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_13

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_14

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_15

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_16

I have a striped cutting board like the one in the third picture. My son made if for me when he was in high school shop class.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Beth, I made a version of your Spanish rice. I had to guess on some of the anounts and supstitute gochuchang and garllic powder for Sambal. Two of Charlie's Mexican friends were here when I finished it and there was enough for everyone. They all put it on soft flour tortillas, topped it with grated cheese and Valentina hot sauce. They all liked it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, I made a version of your Spanish rice. I had to guess on some of the anounts and supstitute gochuchang and garllic powder for Sambal.  Two of Charlie's Mexican friends were here when I finished it and there was enough for everyone.  They  all put it on soft flour tortillas, topped it with grated cheese and Valentina hot sauce.  They all liked it.

I mentioned it was easy to substitute with whatever you like ~ it's just a basic one-pot meal.

I'm glad they enjoyed it!

JanaAZ

Drunken noodles today….

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 Img_0212

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I overpurchased red peppers, so had to do something with them. Had all the “stuff”to stuff them. So, here’s dinner. Three went in the freezer, I had one for my dinner!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_11_26

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having our annual HOA meeting tomorrow night ~ it's always difficult to get our residents to show up for the 'boring' stuff.

I suggested they announce "Dessert will be served !" and then they would get a much better turnout. So, I thought it only fair that I contribute since it was my idea.

So, in a couple hours I threw together a Texas Sheet Cake and a pan of Rice Krispies Treats.

I'm sure both will be well received.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_12_18

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_12_19

Cookin Lore

Sounds good.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had leftovers tonight.

HE ended up with the Chicken Fried Steak, potatoes & gravy and lima beans.

I finished the Spanish Rice.

There's still a couple grilled brats, German Potato Salad & Cabbage in there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed HE will decide to have it for his lunch tomorrow.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since we have a meeting to attend tonight I wanted something light & easy.

Turns out a Ham & Asparagus Frittata fit the bill just right.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_13_20

Now we just have to stay awake & alert until it's time to go to the meeting!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_13_21

Cookin Lore

That fritatta Looks so delicious!  I think I'll do do something like that for our tapas party tomorrow.  Maybe do it in small muffin tins for ease of serving.  I have a couple of cans of crab wonder if that would work???? JUst got a brilliant idea.  It's ten A.M.  I haven't had breakfast, and going out for supper, I'll do a mini test for myself.

PS.  It's an hour later, made the fritata, ate every morsel of it! I just sent two pictures.  Now a shower, then I am going to do some organizing and culling in my pantry today. Music lesson at 4, dinner out at five.  Busy day today.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_14_10

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_14_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I wanted a breakfast. I usually just have a cup of coffee with an English muffin or maybe I pull a homemade peach scone or one of my (purchased) glazed sour cream donuts out of the freezer. But this morning I wanted eggs and hash browns.

I don't know why my pic looks like I cremated my hash browns.....they were absolutely delicious and not at all burned!

And for supper I made the Mediterranean Chicken Salad ~ just because it warmed up so much and that really sounded good to us.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_14_16

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_14_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed some chicken thighs (my favorite piece to cook because you can do so much with it and it won't over cook) and had to come up with an idea.

I looked in the pantry and saw a box of Chicken Rice-a-Roni....that San Francisco treat! (can't get that jingle out of your head now, huh ??? LOL)

I decided to brown the thighs well on all sides and then use the rendered chicken fat (plus a bit of butter) to brown the rice. I also have some chopped onion & celery to add when the rice is the right color because I always like to throw some vegetables in whenever I can. Then, some toasted almonds will get added ~ because I like them ~ and the seasoning/water top everything off. I think I'll let the chicken finish off on top of everything.....just because.

I have the latest picking of green beans to finish off my meal plan.

Cookin Lore

I'm making some bites for this afternoon's tapas party. Celery has been stuffed with cream cheese, plain yogurt, and a small jar of red pepper and peach chutney which has a bit of a bite to it. Am also doing/stuffing some of those mini peppers with crab, mayo, a bit of jalapenjo and dill. Will send a picture when I've got it assembled.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did I mention I really like chicken thighs because you can't over cook them?

These were still moist and tender even after being sauteed to get them brown and then simmered on top of the Rice-a-Roni.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_15_26

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_15_27

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Cookin Lore wrote:I'm making some bites for this afternoon's tapas party.  Celery has been stuffed with cream cheese, plain yogurt, and a small jar of red pepper and peach chutney which has a bit of a bite to it.  Am also doing/stuffing some of those mini peppers with crab, mayo, a bit of jalapenjo and dill.  Will send a picture when I've got it assembled.  

It's four hours later.  Party's over, a good time was had by all, as they say.  Picture has been sent.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 03_15_10

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a Neighborhood Brunch today ~ last monthly brunch of the season.

We both were so filled from a noon meal that neither of us wanted any supper.

I did, however, have tomorrow's corned beef on the stove for most of the afternoon. It's now sitting in the refrigerator in the strained cooking liquid firming up so I can neatly slice it for tomorrow's supper.

I was rather disappointed with the huge fat cap ~ as thick as the meat itself. But, it's one of those 'once a year' meals that I still make no matter what.

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked me if I could make our annual corned beef dinner a day early or late because his car club was having it's monthly meeting then. He tried to tell the president that trying to find a quiet corner for 15 people in a bar on St. Patricks day was not a good idea but they went ahead with the plan. I cooked our dinner today It was Corned Beef Brisket, Irish Roast Potatoes, Roasted Cabbage wedges-which looked fine in the oven until I took them out and found they had burned on the bottom. Irish Scones, Irish Roast Potatoes, Boiled Rutabaga, parsnips and carrots and Scotch eggs.I know it seems odd but the Scotch Eggs recipe came out of an Irish Bar Food cookMarch is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 3 Img_1511
book and it is the best Scotch Egg recipe I have ever tried.

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum