Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring?

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I wanted to use some of the nice baby bok choy I picked up at the market in Orlando. I thought about it and I've decided on Chicken & Orzo with Bok Choy ~ haven't figured out all the details in my mind yet but I'm thinking of a 'soupy stew'. I also have some green beans HE picked from the patio pots the other day ~ they're good with any meal!

I decided to go pick up a rotisserie chicken ~ I can't buy a whole chicken for less than $12 and then I have to deal with cooking it and then breaking down what I want to use. With a rotisserie chicken I can bring it home, it's still warm so I can break it down to dark meat (my favorite) and the breast meats will be used for another meal or sliced for sandwiches (HIS favored lunch meat for a sandwich).

So, I have all the seasoned skin ~ so much color added to my stock, all the bones and any meat that was dried out in the roasting process. I cleaned out the vegetable drawer of a bunch of celery, a couple carrots, bits of onions and some trimmings from a hand of ginger that I really needed to get wrapped and into the jar in the freezer. I covered it all with water and added a box of stock for added richness. I'll let it simmer for 3 or 4 hours and then strain it all and let it cool in the refrigerator out in the garage overnight. (I'll cool the bowl of strained broth in a larger container of ice water before it goes into the refrigerator)

When I went to my pantry to get the orzo so I would have it at the ready.....I COULDN'T FIND IT!!! I almost gave up my search but I was 99% sure I had some. So, by standing on the little step stool I was able to catch a glimpse of the box way back in the corner. I really should take some time to tidy it up and put things back into some sort of order.....

But since I DID find my orzo ~ ~ well, that job can wait for another day! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was........

different.

There were no complaints but it was hard to think of what to call it.

I've decided to call it Chicken, Orzo, Bok Choy Soupy Stew.....

Or, I'll call it George and leave it at that..........Hahahahahaha

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_24_22

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_24_23

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked Mexican Meatball soups with cilantro, MiL doesn't like cilantro, so it tasted a bit off. Dirk love it, he always ordered it when we ate at the Mexican cantinas, I added canned beans, green beans and diced tomatoes, frozen peas and carrots and a bit of leftover pasta  

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 1bfa6c10

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some boneless beef short ribs ~ not really sure if it's actually 'short rib' beef or from some other part of the steer. But I've used it before and it's much like beef chuck steak ~ long and low cooking and comes out meltingly tender.

I'm going to brown the beef, cut into bite size chunks and then add some sliced mushrooms (that need to be used) and some onion. I'll add a bit of the chicken broth I made yesterday (most went into a quart jar in the freezer) and I have half a can of beef consomme in the freezer from the last time I used some ~ I'll use that as well. Oh, and I might just have to deglaze the pan with some wine that just happens to be in the refrigerator......

I'll make a decision at serving time whether I think it needs a bit of sour cream (ala beef stroganoff) to mild it out ~ will serve it on buttered noodles (store bought). I have the green beans snipped and ready to go as well.

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The beef I picked up was really, REALLY nice ~ no trimming needed, no excess fat, no gristle, no icky bits. I just seasoned it and dredged it in flour before browning it.

It braised for about 2 hours in a 350° oven, removed the lid for the last 30 minutes to concentrate the gravy/sauce. I tasted it and it was really rich ~ needed the addition of some sour cream.

I would say it was pretty well perfect for HIM.....I can't remember the last time he had seconds!

I had called neighbor Jim and he already had plans for this evening so the one leftover serving will get sent to him for another evening. I know it's something he will really enjoy.

I told DD#1 it was a 'restaurant worthy' meal ~ a little less than $9 for the beef, little or nothing for the Walmart noodles and the beans were 'free' (grown in the patio pots). So, tonight counts as a WIN !!!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_25_20

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

I just finished the last of the peppers I stuffed last week. Son Michael took two home on Saturday so he had them for lunch today at his jobsite. No picture. Tomorrow I might cook. We'll see.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

NormM

NormM

I have made chicken often lately but it was always at Charlies request. One was the Cornish hens served with an orange flavored teriyaki sauce and the other one was an Italian style chicken breast with a
Romano & Panko crust.March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1513
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1514

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I have some boneless beef short ribs ~ not really sure if it's actually 'short rib' beef or from some other part of the steer.  But I've used it before and it's much like beef chuck steak ~ long and low cooking and comes out meltingly tender.

I'm going to brown the beef, cut into bite size chunks and then add some sliced mushrooms (that need to be used) and some onion.  I'll add a bit of the chicken broth I made yesterday (most went into a quart jar in the freezer) and I have half a can of beef consomme in the freezer from the last time I used some ~ I'll use that as well.  Oh, and I might just have to deglaze the pan with some wine that just happens to be in the refrigerator......

I'll make a decision at serving time whether I think it needs a bit of sour cream (ala beef stroganoff) to mild it out ~ will serve it on buttered noodles (store bought).  I have the green beans snipped and ready to go as well.

I read this yesterday, then I rushed to my kitchen, I just bought 2 packs of chunk beef (bottom round cut ) the night before, I took out 1 pack and cut it, then coated with flour, browned them, and roasted them for 2 and 1/2 hours, I poured in a pack of Onion seasoning and 3 cups of water. To my surprise they came out fork-tender. When they were cool, I stored them in fridge, today I took them out, took out the solid fat, I made the gravy and added some sour cream, and tadaaaa beef stroganoff on pasta was ready

My MiL clean up her plate in no time
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 43425410

here is D's plate
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 43458010

bethk, NormM and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Fabulous, Imelda! It's great to get an idea and know it'll work for your family.

You did a great job!

Cookin Lore

Your beef looks and sounds great!  I actually made dinner tonight, first time I think in a week.  Went out last Thursday with Uncle to a Chinese buffet.  THen Friday I had some surgery, and (I'm fine, it went well) since then I've been either grazing or leftovers.  Today I took three small pieces of Pikerel (Walleye)   out, pan fried that, made a small salad and some baby potatoes.  Yumm!  

Picture on its way!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_26_10

bethk, NormM, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I wanted to finally finish up the last half of the bok choy tips and baby bok choy I had in the refrigerator before they went bad and had to be tossed. It's just a wonderful vegetable that I wish I could source readily whenever I want. Alas, I can only get it when I make the trip (an hour 1 way) to Orlando ~ and that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

So, I got both out of the drawer and gave it all a good wash in a big bowl of tempid water ~ helps the dust/sand to release and wash off much easier than cold water. I swished it around in fresh water a minimum of 5 times before I could find no residual dirt wash off and showing in the bottom of the wash water bowl. Nothing ruins a meal faster than a mouthful of sand! LOL

It's all sitting on a rack over a platter to help it drain off and dry off a bit before it's time to head to the charcoal grill.

I thawed a chicken breast and sliced it into strips ~ soaked some bamboo skewers in warm water and threaded the chicken on. It's now in a little zip bag with some of the soy marinade I had in the refrigerator and added to.....I always like to have some on hand.

So, I'll make some rice.....I'm thinking some of the Trader Joe basmati rice I picked up....and the chicken and bok choy will get grilled and basted with more of the marinade.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I liked tonight's supper more than HE did ~ but HE did have seconds so it couldn't have been terrible. Of course, since I wanted to use the charcoal grill it had to start to rain ~ albeit a very light rain ~ just as I was ready and the coals were hot.

HE pulled one of the umbrellas around by the grill & awning and I didn't have to stand in the drips!

I got the chicken skewers grilled and then put them on the top rack to stay warm. Then I got started on the baby bok choy heads that were cut in half. Everything got a slather of the same soy marinade on the grill. Finally, it was time for the bok choy tips ~ I like that they get charred and crispy bits on the leaves.

It's not for everyone ~ but it was fine for us.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_15

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_16

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_17

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_18

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_19

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_20

NormM

NormM

I made some air fryer with air frier Zatarain mix for chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans todayMarch is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1515

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs and a salad. A friend brought me some flowers!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_21

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_22

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_23

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs and a salad. A friend brought me some flowers!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_21

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_22

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_27_23

My friend brought flowers, and there were so many, I actually made up three arrangements. The one in the dish that is a blue shallow dish is my fav. I bought the dish in Huntington Beach CA when visiting my daughter. It has three vertical posts to put flowers in, so that you get height. I took a floral design course at a local college when I first started condo living.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I like to use my new air fryer very much, my other air-fryer oven I bought few years ago is too small and hard to clean. Yesterday I air-fried 3 pork steaks, I coated with corn starch/garlic powder and salt, sprayed cooking oil on both sides, then air-fried them until they were crispy, about 7 minutes each side, I made some gravy with store bought white gravy package. they like them. I cut mine and mixed with my sambal and with hot steamed rice, so good

D's plate
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 3b953a10

My MiL's plate, I had to cut the steak, it made easier for her
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 57e96f10

and tada.. here is mine
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Feba2a10

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:I made some air fryer with air frier Zatarain mix for chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans todayMarch is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1515

How many minutes to fry the chicken in air-fryer, Norm?

Cookin Lore

I use the air fry feature in my oven a lot. Don't want another contraption taking up valuable kitchen counter space real estate. But, I cook just for myself!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was gone helping a friend all day and I spent the day doing mundane chores.

I didn't know what time HE would return so I thawed a quart of chili and prepped a grilled cheese sandwich for HIM.

And that was it....(no big surprise there's no pic.)

JanaAZ

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_0310

You can’t see it for all the arugula but I made a blt pie topped with arugula and creamy garlic dressing. It was good but I know if I make it again, I’ll make a lot of changes. At $6 a lb for heirloom tomatoes, it didn’t highlight the flavor enough. But he liked it a lot so I’ll probably try it with some changes when you don’t have to take a mortgage for the darn tomatoes

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Amazingly, HE came up with an idea for a meal.....again!

I think he's afraid if it's up to me, HE will end up taking me out to eat ~ LOL !!!

But tonight he wants hot dogs & chili sauce (which just happens to be in my freezer, stored in little KFC cole slaw containers ~ just the right size). I just got done with some potato salad. It's not easy making just enough for two (tonight there will be some leftover) but it's difficult to make it with less than 2 small potatoes and a couple eggs. But at least it won't be a quart of leftover salad.

I'm so glad HE'S decided to be in charge of deciding.

Cookin Lore

I didn't know that I could actually make just a little potato salad, but a few days ago I was at Uncle Ernie's (he's 91)  and he had three quite small potatoes jus lying there.  So, I asked him if he wanted me to make up some potato salad.  And, it actually worked out.  I should have thought about that today when I started to shred my cabbage for coleslaw.   I found out that the super in my building REALLY likes coleslaw, so I took them a big container of what I made.  Don't know what I'll do with the rest of it.  But, I digress.  

I made some devilled eggs today to take for our tapas get-together today.  I've done them using food colouring for the whites before.  These turned out really nice.   Picture is on the way!

Tapas afternoon in my building. This is what I made for today!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_29_10

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Yesterday we went hiking, while on the hike, my MiL's friend called and told us she wanted to see my MiL today. Today is Good Friday and we are fasting and abstaining meat,  so I'm planning to make some light brunch, I had canned Albacore tuna on my counter, and tuna salad was on my mind, I just bought some crackers at Costco,  I also had some Rye bread. Then I saw I had a big bag of baby spinach, enough to make a crustless spinach quiche. She brought some brownies and ice cream. We had a lot leftover for supper, tuna melt is on the menu

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 54f5bd10
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 85103410

bethk

bethk
Admin

HIS pick was spot on!

It was like a picnic in the house......

Nathan's Coney Casing Hot Dogs.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 03_29_16

NormM

NormM

We had chicken and mushroom stroganoff today.March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1517
March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? - Page 5 Img_1516

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum