Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us! (( How did the year go by so fast??? ))

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

NormM

NormM

Christmas Eve dinner was ham, Street Corn Pudding, Southern Green Beans and Melting Roasted Potatoes. Potatoes got burnt instead of browned. I probably used too much butter.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 Img_1314
December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 Img_1315
December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 Img_1313

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Christmas Eve dinner was ham, Street Corn Pudding, Southern Green Beans and Melting Roasted Potatoes.  Potatoes got burnt instead of browned.  I probably used too much butter.  

That's the way I LIKE my potatoes! Looks delicious!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Presenting our Christmas Frittata......

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_25_39

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_25_40

Not at all similar to Prime Rib......

(( sigh ))

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was charged with deciding what we should have for supper.

After 10 minutes of 'thinking' HE came up with tacos.

So, HE had a couple soft tacos with what he wanted included and I turned mine into a taco salad with guacamole on the side.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_26_17

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_26_18

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Might as well pick a picture from a couple of years ago, as you’ve all seen it before. Stir fry of onions, mushrooms, red pepper with shrimp and calamari rings. Served with cream on egg noodles. Yumm!"

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_26_19

Cookin Lore

Thanks, Beth! I really have to lose some weight, and that portion is not helping in that! I have to have some surgery in March. Nothing serious, but the surgeon told me that she would really like me to lose 10 pounds, basically from my "muffin top". So, I have twelve weeks, a pound a week should be a breeze!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks, Beth!  I really have to lose some weight, and that portion is not helping in that!  I have to have some surgery in March.  Nothing serious, but the surgeon told me that she would really like me to lose 10 pounds, basically from my "muffin top".  So, I have twelve weeks, a pound a week should be a breeze!

I've been trying for 10 years to drop 50 pounds. I'm not very good at this so now I'm concentrating on getting taller.....

Cookin Lore

I understand. I am not happy with myself right now, so it's either do something about it, or buy new clothes. I think this is the dreariest, dark, cold Christmas weather we've ever had. Rain, fog and just lousy.
But, my place smells really good. I have a pork hock in my slow cooker. I have made pork hocks many, many times, but done in the oven with sauerkraut under and on top of them. THat's how they are done in the northern part of Germany where my late hubby's family was. In the southern part, I found out recently, they are done differently. The hock is simmered in water with onion, spices, bay leaf, pepper etc. until well done. Then they are put in the oven, or on a grill and baked in dry heat to make the skin nice and crispy. So that's how I'm doing it today. Stay tuned for a picture later!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was a 'Blast-From-the-Past'........1968 Pillsbury Bake Off Winner....at least I think that's where it came from.

Funny, but Crescent Roll dough tastes different than it did in 1970 ~ my kids used to love this stuff.

But I will say it's easier now that you can purchase Crescent Sheets without the perforations to tear into triangles. No more leaky lasagna.

And I cut the recipe in half ~ and we still have leftovers.....

(( sigh ))

But it was met with no complaints so that's a plus!

So, Krafty Crescent Lasagna ~ layered with mozzarella cheese, a meat/tomato paste, cottage cheese/parmesan/egg 'filling', more meat, more mozzarella....covered & sealed ~ brushed with milk & sprinkled with s&p (or sesame seeds if desired).

Hot out of the oven

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_27_17

Cut so you can see the inside structure

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_27_18

Propped up on my knife to view the interior.....

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_27_19

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was in bed all day with a RSV cold. Tina in her recliner, with a worse hit.
Meals have been chicken soup.... and more more chicken soup.
The 3 day headache finally went away.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 652761166

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I was in bed all day with a RSV cold. Tina in her recliner, with a worse hit.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 652761166

Oh, no! You guys don't need any more illness! Prayers for you both.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making baked chicken wings tonight.....Alton Brown method of steaming, cooling/drying in the refrigerator and then baked until crispy.

I found what's left of a bag of 'Crispy Crowns' for HIM ~ Doesn't look like it'll be enough to share but I'll be fine with just the wings with Buffalo Sauce.  

Oh, wait, I have some cabbage.  I think I'll make some cole slaw.

There! Complete supper.....

I had picked 8 or 9 lemons for the 'White Elephant Gift Exchange we were going to have at Lyn's on Christmas Day (which got postponed because of her Covid positive test ~ she's feeling better, by the way). Well, anyway, I didn't want the lemons to go soft and leak all over so I unwrapped them and had to squeeze them today. I have a quart and a half of Meyer Lemon Juice in the freezer. I haven't a clue what I'll use it for but I just couldn't dump it all.

When we do have our Christmas dinner at Lyn's (when everyone is illness-free) I'll pick more lemons and re-wrap the 'Do-It-Yourself-Lemonade' gift box. There are LOTS still hanging on the tree.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I was in bed all day with a RSV cold. Tina in her recliner, with a worse hit.

Oh, no!  You guys don't need any more illness!  Prayers for you both.

Thanks for the prayers.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's gonna be spaghetti tonight. Tina had the meatballs frozen, so that was a help.
We are just hlding our own; staying hunkered down, and riding out our colds / flu etc.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

For any of you who are getting cold / freezing air outside right now, THIS is what we see when we walk out to our car......

Dane's Angel Trumpet plant ~ HE'S the talk of the town with this huge specimen.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_28_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

I really do like making Buffalo Wings in the oven ~ no hot oil to fry them. But because they bake at 475° it's always a challenge. I recently cleaned my oven so it's not covered in oil ~ but the smoke alarm went off when I pulled the sheet pan to turn the wings over after 20 minutes. It's nice to know it's functioning......Hahahahaha

He got some baked Crispy Crowns. I planned on having some frozen Sweet Potato Fries but, apparently, the sweet potato fries only take about 10 minutes to brown up.....

Hahahahaha! I'm sure it was because I really don't need to eat fries!

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_28_18

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_28_19

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_28_20

NormM

NormM

Early this morning Charlie asked if I would make a tuna noodle casserole.I don't think I'd ever made one before so he told me what was in it when he had it at someone else's place years ago. I found a recipe with those things in it and he said it was really good. December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 Img_1316

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Early this morning Charlie asked if I would make a tuna noodle casserole.I don't think I'd ever made one before so he told me what was in it when he had it at someone else's place years ago.  I found a recipe with those things in it and he said it was really good.

Hahahaha! I make a Tuna Noodle Casserole for Dane once every 10 - 15 years......

(( It has hot tuna and cheese so it's not something I eat..... ))

The potato chip topping is essential for a successful and memorable meal.

Cookin Lore

I have never made, or eaten a tuna casserole. I like tuna from a can in a salad type dish, not warmed up.

But, back to wings done in the oven, I have always done mine at 350; they take a little longer, but get nice and crispy too.

Cheese and crackers for me last night.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sicko's here are having a tough time figuring what to make for supper tonight.
No real good appetite's. Maybe fried bell peppers and eggs with sliced thinly potatoes.

As far as Tuna goes, Tina loves sauce and tuna from the can, with spaghetti. YYYYYuck!!!
She likes it, and I won't eat it. Period. Gives me an Idea; and that is tuna salad sandwiches for tonight on dark Lithuanian bread we got for Christmas.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE got his choice of a steak on the charcoal grill or a beef stir fry.

I think HE chose the stir fry because he didn't want to set up the grill & mess with the hardwood....

So, stir fry it was. I picked up some really fresh looking bok choy today ~ it's one of my favorites.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_29_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't remember when I bought the vegetables for making the Mediterranean Salad but they needed to be used.....today.

So, it's all ready to go. I even thawed a couple chicken cutlets to saute and have the marinade brushed on them in the refrigerator.

I'm not really hungry for the chicken salad but I didn't want everything to go to waste.....so I guess I can be happy that my meal is made and ready to go tonight.

Cookin Lore

I over shopped way too much for Christmas. So, I am only "shopping" in my fridge, freezer and pantry for a while. Took out a piece of sirloin for tonight. I will scrape something together for veggies! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have no idea for what to make for supper. I am thinking Chinese..... NOT... Tina cannot take the spices or if any msg used to enhance taste. It kills her stomach big time.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You've seen it before (way too many times....)

But it was what was for supper........

Mediterranean Chicken Salad with Fresh Market Olive Bread toast.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 4 12_30_18

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum