Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us! (( How did the year go by so fast??? ))

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm blaming it on 'morning fog' ~ but I'm sure I'll come up with an idea before tonight of what to cook.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's an absolutely beautiful day here. Sunny, warm (75°) and just a bit of breeze to move the air around.

I decided to do a 'self-clean' on my oven. One too many times of making chicken wings and whole chickens ~ spatters fat all over! So, I pulled the racks out and put them in my sink ~ have I mentioned my beautiful, super large kitchen sink is large enough to place my oven racks in? I also pulled out the little rack from the toaster oven that also needed a good scrubbing. Into the sink with about 6" of hot water and a cup or so of 'lemon' ammonia ~ says 'lemon' but it STILL smelled like ammonia. The racks soaked until the water was comfortable for gloved hands....they got a good scrub and now are nice and clean ~ well, as clean as they need to be.....LOL

The oven is feeling like it's going to burst into flames at any moment ~ so HOT! But that's why I have HIM pull it out from between the cabinets. The cabinets are old and I don't want them getting overheated and either melting the crummy finish or bursting into flames. It says it should be done in 3 hours but if I remember right it takes a good 5 hours before it cools down enough to let the oven door unlock.

Then HE will have to pull the door off the oven so I can wipe the inside with vinegar water. I'm so happy we looked up the 'secret' of unlocking the door so it can be removed. Otherwise I cannot reach to the back of the oven to wipe it out. I just love 'You Tube' videos!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I didn't want to cook anything that would dirty up my stove.....I just want to glance at it every once in a while and know it's at least sanitary for a bit....LOL

Anyway, I looked in the freezer and saw the bag of burger patties ~ it's such a lovely day that firing up the charcoal grill sounded like a good idea. Paired it with the leftover salad (ANOTHER one out of the refrigerator!) and HE had some chips with HIS.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_01_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday was codfish with butter wine sauce. Spanish yellow rice, and powdered cake doughnuts for dessert.

I added the pic of the cod supper.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) Img_2438

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had tickets for a play this afternoon ~ the person she was going to go with got ill so she asked me if I'd go with her. Turns out the other 4 people who planned to go also had pressing matters (illness, hospitalization, accident.....geesh!) so she was really happy to not have to go and sit there by herself. It was like a neighborhood acting group ~ almost a 2-man play (with another 2 as very minor players). And it was about raising babies and having to choose whether to go back to work or be a stay-at-home parent......been there, done that.

But it was a different way to spend an afternoon.

We went out for a late lunch (very late or could be considered early supper) so I did no cooking. So that's another plus!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I found some delicata squash yesterday ~ first time this year ~ at our local Sprout's Market.  I was thrilled to pick up a couple.

So, tonight I've got some 'boneless pork ribs' (aka: pork shoulder) that I'll brown up and then braise in a soy based sauce thinned with some chicken stock.  I should have a vegetable, too.....maybe some of the corn that's in the drawer.  

Yeah, fresh corn it is!

Phew!  Supper is planned.  The hardest part is over.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I was pleased with my Asian Braised Pork supper! I had some 'leftover' soy marinade I made another time ~ I know it had soy sauce, Mirin, Rice Wine, Sesame Oil, Sugar & (probably) Sweet Black Soy Sauce. It doesn't take much to season a dish so I usually thin it with some chicken stock ~ tonight I had homemade stock (lucky ME). I took it out of the oven when the squash went in (the pork braised at 325°) and I reduced the sauce a bit so it was more of a glaze that I simply slipped the pork back into.

The delicata squash were simply sliced, seeds removed, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with s&p, roasted on a foil lined quarter sheet pan for about 20 minutes in a 425° oven.

The corn was par-cooked in the microwave & cooled so it's easier to cut off the cobs. Then it was seasoned with butter, s&p, Dixie Dust (cayenne based seasoning from a local restaurant) and a little half & half.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_03_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was telling my daughter I was thinking about making Lasagna Roll-ups (thanks, Lore!) and she reminded me to check the freezer.

Sure enough ~ there's two loaf pans of lasagna I made long ago.

I knew they'd be dry when they reheated ~ I should have frozen them before baking ~ but I had a small container of marinara in the refrigerator freezer to thaw and use to sauce it up.

It wasn't my best effort but it's now out of the freezer!

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_04_20

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]It was Mike's casserole for supper. Frozen veggies, with tomato sauce, browned ground round then a layer of Pillsbury's biscuits and topped with mozzarella cheese grated. We bake 350F till the biscuits are browned, and the cheese is melted. Apple pie for dessert.

We had a friend that hated it when his wife made it. It was like the tv ad that the kids wanted Milky to try the cereal; and said he'll like it. ..... As for our friend ( NOT! ). No way he was gonna eat that casserole. ... So that is how the casserole got its name in this house.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a Gargantuan pot of split pea soup with potatoes, ham diced, and carrots diced; with a large ham hock swimming in the pot. I asked her if we were running a soup kitchen?...
That calls for extra gas ex pills for that soup.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) Img_2439

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's still 'What's-this-in-the-freezer?' time at my house. Fortunately only one of the labels fell off so I knew from the looks that both containers were the same thing.

Leftover pot roast & gravy ~ Morphed into hot roast beef sandwiches weeks later.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_05_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It's still 'What's-this-in-the-freezer?' time at my house.  Fortunately only one of the labels fell off so I knew from the looks that both containers were the same thing.

Leftover pot roast & gravy ~ Morphed into hot roast beef sandwiches weeks later.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_05_15

Looks good Beth. Today will be finish up the pea soup, and fillet mignon .... Apple and coconut custard pie's to finish up from the last weekend.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Haluski ~ smoked sausage, noodles, cabbage (plus carrots & onions) all fried up together. A comfort 1-pot meal.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_06_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed some chicken thighs for supper but (Lucky ME!) Jim just called and asked if we'd pick him up to go to supper at 5:00.

So, chicken thighs TOMORROW night.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover chili tonight.... Simple Supper...

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad tonight's supper was planned yesterday.

Lyn gave me her matching electric recliners since she just bought a couple new chairs. So, today was 'moving day'.....and I'm too old for this stuff.

I got one of our recliners cleaned and will clean the other one before I call a local charity store to donate them. Both are in good condition ~ but not matching and one is 'over-sized' and I've never liked it because my feet didn't reach the floor when I sat in it. So, off to a new owner!

Supper was chicken thighs, boiled potatoes & asparagus.....easy and NO LEFTOVERS!!!

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_08_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Scrambled eggs with cheese mixed in them, toast and ketchup on Tina's.
It was a scrambled up day for sure. Today was a throw out day. We had a 30 cubic yd. dumpster delivered to get rid of a lot of stuff. Including around 3 thousand cook books. Yep! Tina's collection. Anything she needs is on the computer on line if we need it. It's a shame that we can't give them away. Nobody wants them; not even the library's.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

This weekend is an ethnic food festival. Yesterday I started fermenting sauerkraut. Today I made latkes and for the next few days I’m working on tamale stuff. I cooked the pork yesterday, I’ll made the red sauce for the pork and probably get the masa made today too. Then I need to get my 3 fillings ready so I can make tamales hopefully tomorrow.

Busy busy busy December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) Img_9911

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was our neighborhood brunch ~ we both ate enough to say, "No" to any supper tonight.

It always amazes me how just one meal a day can be enough......Used to be '3 square meals a day' ~ but not anymore!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was tomato and bell pepper soup, with croutons. .... Tina had a grilled cheese with it.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a loss of what I wanted to fix for supper. I knew I wanted a BLT Salad but figured I needed more protein.....so I came up with the idea of a rotisserie chicken to go with the salad.

But I wanted to pull off the breast meat while it was still warm (I always stash it in the refrigerator unless I'm using it right away). I want to make some chicken salad for my lunch for a couple days and I want to use the rest for Chicken Enchiladas for another night....as soon as one of the avocados gets ripe.

So many moving parts to keep track of! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It is a pot roast, and a rotisserie chicken.....mashed potatoes and gravy. Carrots. and canned corn. The kids are here eat it all up.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I haven't been around here for a couple of days. busy with stuff in my building.. We had a great christmas open house yesterday I'm still recouperating. But, I have some ribs in the oven, and potatoes, will steam some sprouts, one of my favourite vegetable. Picture later, I hope!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a Mish-Mash Supper. I knew the BLT Salad (yes, there are little tomatoes hiding under the lettuce....) was what I wanted. But the rotisserie chicken was just to add some protein that I figured HE would want. I think we're both full......

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) 12_10_12

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Scrambled eggs with cheese mixed in them, toast and ketchup on Tina's.
It was a scrambled up day for sure. Today was a throw out day. We had a 30 cubic yd. dumpster delivered to get rid of a lot of stuff. Including around 3 thousand cook books. Yep! Tina's collection. Anything she needs is on the computer on line if we need it. It's a shame that we can't give them away. Nobody wants them; not even the library's.

Too bad about the books. We sell a lot of second hand books at the thrift store. especially cookbooks. Many people here seem to want a physical book. I don't like looking recipes up on line. I like my books that I can scribble in when I make a change to a recipe.

Admin, bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum