Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us! (( How did the year go by so fast??? ))

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Ribs, crinkle cut potato and steamed sprouts. Yumm!"

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_10_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Ribs, crinkle cut potato and steamed sprouts.  Yumm!"

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_10_13

Thanks, as always, Beth. I love my little crinkle cutter for potatoes, they crisp up nicely in the oven.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftovers from yesterdays meal. Chicken soup also that Tina made last night.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I drove a couple neighbors to The Seafood Shack in Leesburg ~ about a 30 minute drive (because of the ridiculous traffic). It's just a little 'hole-in-the-wall' place but it's very clean, the staff is wonderful and the food is excellent. They specialize in lobster rolls (aka: New England style seafood rolls) with the grilled buns and super fresh seafood.

Both friends had the warm lobster w/butter roll. They really enjoyed their lunch. I've had that a couple times and wanted their fried clam strips ~ that taste just like the ones I got in Maine when I vacationed there. Another neighbor told me I should be ordering the 'whole belly' clams and the clam strips were something no New Englander would order. Well, I'm NOT from New England and I happen to really LIKE the clam strips so to each their own! Let's face it, I was raised in Ohio. We didn't have clams ~ except at the Howard Johnson's Restaurant I worked at when I was 16. And I didn't care for the clam strips when I tried them at that age. So I came late to the party ~ and I like what I like NOW. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is going to be Chicken Enchiladas. Haven't made them in a while and it sounded good when I thought of it.

I've got all the 'condiments' ready: Verde Creama, sliced tomatoes, chopped onions, black olives, avocado, green onions and shredded lettuce.

It all came about because I bought a rotisserie chicken the other day. We had pieces of 'roast' chicken for supper one night. I pulled the meat off the carcass and saved the breast meat for tonight's enchiladas, used the leftover dark chicken meat for chicken salad for a couple lunches for me and boiled all the bones & skin, etc. for another batch of chicken stock to stash in the freezer. That stuff comes in handy for so many meals.

It's such an easy meal to put together ~ takes longer to get the 'condiments' prepped than to make the casserole. It's certainly NOT anything like what you'd get in a Mexican Restaurant but it's made the way we like it ~ and, yes, HE'S to the point he doesn't mind there's no cheese in the dish.

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 saw my dinner picture and said it looks like an Enchilada Salad.....I gotta agree. You can't even see the two rolled Chicken Enchiladas under all the 'stuff' I pile on top! LOL

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_12_16

But it was really good. HE was as full as I am but I convinced him to finish the last of the sliced avocados & tomatoes so they didn't just get tossed out.

Surprisingly, the inexpensive avocados from Aldi were really good ~ perfectly ripe (after a couple days on the countertop) and no brown stuff or stringy icky parts inside. And they were only like $0.49 each. I'm glad I got 4 of them!

HE likes to have a small avocado with cottage cheese for his lunch every so often.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE's out 'with the guys' to celebrate the holidays.....whatever.

I'll make myself an egg sandwich or just have the leftover chicken salad. I'm not all that hungry so it may get skipped altogether.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I walked through the store looking for inspiration.

Didn't work.

Nothing looked like anything I had a taste for.

Of course, the meat cases were full of 'On Sale' hams and beef roasts......but nothing I wanted for a Thursday night supper.

I walked through the deli and saw the lavash bread.....Hmmmmm....maybe a pizza flatbread.

Yeah

That's what we'll have.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since we both like 'thin crust' pizza the Lavash Flatbread is a great 'crust' for a pizza topped with what we like. Easy and quick baking.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_14_16

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_14_17

Cookin Lore

I made some headcheese yesterday some for friends Dora and Peter; some for Uncle Ernie, some for me. I had some with some plain bread for a late lunch, then I made some "testers" of stuffed [peppers and mushrooms for to morrow. There's a tapas group in my building that meets Friday afternoon, and I haven't been able to make anything for it yest, because I generally am at my volunteering "JOB". But, someone asked to switch a shift with me, so I'm working in the morning, not afternoon

So, I tested some stuffed mushrooms, some stuffed small peppers for tomorrow. The peppers will be stuffed with sauteed onion and mushrooms,,crab and cheese; the mushrooms will be done in the traditional escargot way. Tried a few today, they will be great. Hopefully I'll remember to take a picture tomorrow~!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday was soup and sandwich. Today is subs / Hoagies, and brownies for dessert.
It's been a mixed up week so far. Computer problems; Demolition of the old shed in the back yard, and family issues. Tina's brother's wife passed away yesterday right after Tina came home after visiting her at hospice. 86 years old.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear ~ tell Tina how sorry we are. I hope she had a lovely visit and has that as a fond memory.

I thought chicken cutlets sounded good tonight. I had some red beets and asparagus so that was what went along with the chicken.

And, darn ~ I just remembered I made some cucumber salad this morning......but didn't put it on the table. I guess it'll be fine for tomorrow.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_16

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, dear ~ tell Tina how sorry we are.  I hope she had a lovely visit and has that as a fond memory.

I thought chicken cutlets sounded good tonight.  I had some red beets and asparagus so that  was what went along with the chicken.

And, darn ~ I just remembered I made some cucumber salad this morning......but didn't put it on the table.  I guess it'll be fine for tomorrow.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_16

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_17
Thank you Beth. She went down hill only 5 days ago, and hospice sent the bed and the visiting aid nurse was in only one day to set up the hospital bed etc. and after the first visit..... She expired.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tapas Last night. Group in my building started this fun tradition a few weeks ago. I made escargot in crimini mushrooms; peppers are stuffed with cream cheese, mushrooms, crab, onion and topped with more cheese. Unfortunately one person is allergic to crab, another mushrooms! The rest enjoyed them! "

Prior to baking:

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_18

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_15_19

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Shrimp Alfredo over Linguini tonight. Coconut Custard Pie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a bone-in, skin-on chicken breast that I started in a little cast iron skillet to brown the skin and then I let it finish in the toaster oven. So easy.

Reheated some frozen mashed potatoes and made lima beans to go with it. I even remembered to dish up the cucumber salad I made the other day. I hate when I forget stuff I make.....

((sigh))

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_17_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

My daughter sent me 3 jars of my Frisch's Tartar Sauce ~ sure wish they used plastic jars instead of glass.....one broke and I'm left with two.

But, hey, that's two more than I had!

So tonight was burger night. Man, that sauce just makes the burger taste like home!

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_18_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well..... It's about time. We finally were able to reset our passwords to log in to our e-mail accounts and web site. We have three accounts, but only one was able to reset and get on line.
I've been trying with the robot voice for two days and unable to get a real person to help.
Everything is done on one of them, like bank and ordering etc etc. Finally by saying NO NO on the selection button, we were aket to use a live help person. She was beyond help. She was calm as I was doing my typing speed which is index finger's and chicken pecking my way to create a message.
#######################################################

Tonight was beef stew that Tina Made.... And as usual, she is sick with a cold. Always on the holidays without fail.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonght. Burger, Hasselback potato and a cauliflower “steak” all done in the oven. Yumm!"

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_18_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's Soup Weather!!!

I've got a pot of chili on the stove for tonight.

All the ingredients for my version of Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana is in the refrigerator.

It will get made tomorrow or another day this week.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chili simmered all afternoon.

HE wanted another 'test' sauce dish at 4:30......I said, "Wait until supper time."

So, by 4:50 it WAS suppertime......LOL

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_19_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had cod fish in wine and butter sauce. Tina had Mrs. Grass' chicken soup in the box with the packet of seasoning. No more little yellow egg anymore I guess.... ? Lipton is better we thought.
She feels like crap with a cold. that's why the chicken soup. Dessert was cherry nut cake ( like fruit -cake ) with just the candied cherries and pecans;..... She made it yesterday.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's soup & salad night (again). It always amazes me HE enjoys this soup almost as much as I do. It's not exactly like the one served at Olive Garden because I don't care for Italian sausage. But it's a good sausage/potato/kale soup and I especially like the kale because it holds up to being reheated and I can make a big batch and freeze it and it's still not mushy.

Zuppa Toscana (copycat of Olive Garden's soup)

Serves : 6
Prep Time: 0:35

1 lb. hot/spicy Breakfast sausage – crumbled (I used Jimmy Dean brand)
3 Slices Bacon
1 qt. water
1 – 32 oz. ‘box’ Low Sodium Chicken Stock (I used homemade)
2 large russet potatoes – slice in half lengthwise and then slice into ¼ inch slices or small cubed
1 med. onion – chopped (about 1/3 cup)
3 cups de-stemmed/chopped kale (cut pieces slightly larger than would fit on a spoon)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper - to taste (heavier on pepper – it doesn’t need much salt because of the bacon)

-In a skillet crisp bacon ~ reserve. Over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.

-Place water, broth, potatoes and onion in a pot; simmer over medium high heat until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes – don’t overcook because it will be cooking an additional 10 minutes).

-Add kale, sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.

-Add cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through. Do not boil.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a simple tossed salad to go with our soup.

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 2 12_20_16

Cookin Lore

No cooking for me today. Went out for lunch with two friends from my volunteering job. Greek restaurant, I had my fav there, their grilled octopus! It's a big place that has been there forever, very busy with Christmas lunchers! I was afraid they were going to throw us out, we sat for so long! Fun time. No picture. Well, there is, I'll send that. Not the food, but the three of us,.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum