Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us! (( How did the year go by so fast??? ))

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Speaking of Soup.... I had Tomato soup Topped with croutons and lots of black pepper and a dollop of butter in the center, and swirled a little. Tina had a small bologna sandwich.
She is still fighting the cold; she is under the covers all day. She does a virtual visit tomorrow with the MD

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim invited us out for a Christmas celebration.....he really is the nicest neighbor.

So, no cooking for me tonight!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to the Chop House for our holiday celebration dinner with Jim.

I can honestly say we have never been disappointed with any meal we've had there ~ although, for a celebration, I almost always get their small filet, which is cooked at a perfect medium rare every time, with Bearnaise Sauce on the side, a baked potato w/butter & sour cream and asparagus. And it's always done perfectly.

Yes, I can cook a filet just as good....but to get it all served with the side dishes and sauces....it's just such a treat.

They also have choices of a Bourbon Peppercorn Sauce or Gorgonzola Butter to top your steak....but the Bearnaise Sauce is my favorite.....unless I'm really splurging and getting it 'Oscar Style' with asparagus/crab meat and hollandaise. But that's for a really special occasion....LOL

The restaurant is a 'white tablecloth' place, which is nice in itself, and the staff is very good. As I said, it's probably our favorite here in town.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had shrimp in a wine butter garlic sauce, over wide noodles. Tina's having mashed potatoes.
Dr. called to let us know she has RSV .... Highly contagious. Such a let down...

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had a very not balanced dinner. Didn't feel like cooking, but had taken a small section of pork ribs out of the freezer. Just mixed up some ketchup and brown sugar, and the oven did its thing. Unfortunately, nothing green, but ribs were great! LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Dr. called to let us know she has RSV .... Highly contagious. Such a let down...

Oh, dear ~ poor Ms. Tina! I've heard that's a tough one. Have Maria make a huge pot of chicken stock for her....

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said he wants fried chicken for supper.....

So I'll go to Publix and pick up one of their packages of already fried chicken from the deli. I have one of the Sweet Kale Salad kits to go with it.

So, I guess I don't have to cook tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Oh, dear ~ poor Ms. Tina!  I've heard that's a tough one.  Have Maria make a huge pot of chicken stock for her....

The Chicken soup is done and ready to boil the noodle's.
So that is supper for all!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sure hope she feels better soon, Jimmy. I'm saying prayers for her....

Supper was the easy meal of Publix Fried Chicken, Sam's Club Sweet Kale Salad kit and microwaved asparagus (cut up asparagus, a little salt & a couple Tbsp. of water in a casserole and microwaved on high for 2 - 3 minutes.....let sit 3 minutes, drain, butter & serve).

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 12_22_18

cookingirl

cookingirl

Oh No Jimmy!! RSV is not good for us seniors... Tina needs rest.. and more rest.. But it is Christmas and knowing Tina, she will not rest.
Yes, it is highly contagious.. Please take care.

Did you guys happen to get the RSV vaccination?

Chicken soup, and more soup... fluids, rest,... more soup..

Try to have a Merry Christmas...

cookingirl

cookingirl

BTW, here is a new picture of Geoffrey:December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1718

And a picture of Santa and Mrs Claus from last night, at our "Holiday" party...

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1718
December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1719

Sorry for sending a duplicate...

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!!

Been really busy... Going to cousin's for a late Eve.. Up Early for first Mass-- giving out communion.. So it is going to be a really easy Christmas for me.. Staying home..
Have some ravioli, sauce, meatballs.. All picked up today from an tiny Italian pasta shop in my city..

With Italian Cookies for dessert-- Italian Bakery..

And Italian Christmas.. for me and Geoffrey.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I sure hope she feels better soon, Jimmy.  I'm saying prayers for her....

Supper was the easy meal of Publix Fried Chicken, Sam's Club Sweet Kale Salad kit and microwaved asparagus (cut up asparagus, a little salt & a couple Tbsp. of water in a casserole and microwaved on high for 2 - 3 minutes.....let sit 3 minutes, drain, butter & serve).

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 12_22_18

Thank you Beth... Just got meds, and one inhaler simmered down the coughing.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Oh No Jimmy!! RSV is not good for us seniors... Tina needs rest.. and more rest.. But it is Christmas and knowing Tina, she will not rest.
Yes, it is highly contagious.. Please take care.

Did you guys happen to get the RSV vaccination?  

Chicken soup, and more soup... fluids, rest,... more soup..

Try to have a Merry Christmas...

Thanks Cindy..... No, we did not get the RSV shot. Just the regular FLU shots, and the pneumonia shot for seniors.
You have a merry Christmas also. God Bless.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:BTW, here is a new picture of Geoffrey:December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1718

And a picture of Santa and Mrs Claus from last night, at our "Holiday" party...

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1718
December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 Img_1719

Sorry for sending a duplicate...

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!!

Been really busy... Going to cousin's for a late Eve.. Up Early for first Mass-- giving out communion.. So it is going to be a really easy Christmas for me.. Staying home..
Have some ravioli, sauce, meatballs.. All picked up today from an tiny Italian pasta shop in my city..

With Italian Cookies for dessert-- Italian Bakery..

And Italian Christmas.. for me and Geoffrey.

That Cat is so cute. He looks well and content..... ( Thanks to you ).

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tapas Last night in my building. Always a fun time and good food. I made the individual quiches in the round dish with tinfoil under it."

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 12_22_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn picked up the roast for our Christmas dinner today....she says it's HUGE!  I'm thinking we'll have to cut a couple steaks off if it's as big as she says.

She wants to do something a little different this year.  We don't usually exchange gifts and, in the past, just brought something for Bill because it was his birthday.  I always made him a Cherry Crostata because it was his favorite.

But with 12 people attending she wants to have a White Elephant Gift Exchange.  Everyone is to bring a wrapped gift ~ something you have in your house you no longer use or need.  I had no problem finding an appetizer dish, in the original box, someone gave me and I never use AND the handy dandy 'as-seen-on-TV' vegetable slicer/chopper Jim bought (didn't have any idea how to use) and gifted to me a few months ago.  I tried to refuse but he insisted I keep it.  I don't need it....I have a knife!  LOL

So I got those wrapped up together and looking pretty with paper and a bow.

But finding something for Dane to bring.....Hmmmmmm???

I got the brilliant idea to pick a bunch of lemons (we have SO many on the tree and I've already got about 3 pints of juice in the freezer from the ones that have dropped off and needed to be juiced).  I put in a baggie of sugar ~ just in case whoever picks the box isn't a cook ~ and wrapped up 8 big lemons along with a couple 'recipes' I printed off allrecipes.com for homemade lemonade.

I just love when a plan comes together!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a couple crab legs the last time I went to Sam's Club ~ I love I can purchase just one or two legs and not have to get a 'package' of what they decide to put together.

So, tonight I thawed a piece of salmon for HIM (he doesn't care for crab) and made some rice & vegetables this afternoon to make a nice fried rice side dish.

I cook his salmon on a piece of foil on the gas grill and I wrapped the broken crab leg in foil and heated it on the grill, too. So nice to have the 'stink' outside!

My crab with a bit of butter and the fried rice was delicious.  HE ate two bites and decided he had a stomach ache....geesh!  He saved the salmon....maybe he'll have it for a lunch tomorrow....

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 12_23_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sloppy Joes for me, and soup and mashed potatoes for Tina.
I had my sloppy's with tabasco sauce. That took the sweetness away. Now, I am foraging around and looking for dessert. Maybe just a yogurt.....

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I went to my son and DIL yesterday for a lunch of nibblies. Was invited to come either for that, or turkey dinner with all the trimmings for supper. I opted for lunch' I still had so much prep to do in my living/dining room for today, and if I had supper out, I knew my get up and go was gonna be done and gone. Now I am in the middle of getting stuff going for tonight. Just finished browning 10 beef rouladen, they are in the crock pot. Next is getting all the veggies organized. One pan of mixed, potato, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, onion. Then peeling some potatoes for mashed, 'cause when you have a yummy gravy like from the beef rouladen, you gotta have mashed to soak it up, right?

I'll make some plain corn, right out of the can, a veggie and dip tray. DIL is bringing sweets for dessert. THat's it for our Christmas celebration, the 24th has always been our big day. Tomorrow we vegetate! LOL

Merry Christmas to all my COOKING FRIENDS! I have learned sooooo much since I found you here! Thank you!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I went to my son and DIL yesterday for a lunch of nibblies.  Was invited to come either for that, or turkey dinner with all the trimmings for supper.  I opted for lunch' I still had so much prep to do in my living/dining room for today, and if I had supper out, I knew my get up and go was gonna be done and gone.  Now I am in the middle of getting stuff going for tonight.  Just finished browning 10 beef rouladen, they are in the crock pot.  Next is getting all the veggies organized.  One pan of  mixed, potato, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, onion.  Then peeling some potatoes for mashed, 'cause when you have a yummy gravy like from the beef rouladen, you gotta have mashed to soak it up, right?

I'll make some plain corn, right out of the can, a veggie and dip tray.  DIL is bringing sweets for dessert. THat's it for our Christmas celebration, the 24th has always been our big day.  Tomorrow we vegetate! LOL

Merry Christmas to all my COOKING FRIENDS!  I have learned sooooo much since I found you here!  Thank you!

Sounds like you have everything under control, Lore. May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas dinner tonight and be able to sleep peacefully long into Christmas Morn!

Cookin Lore

Thanks. I seem to be a little ahead of my schedule for today, so I decided to bake some gluten free biscuits for tonight. My DIL is gluten sensitive, she can take it in small amounts, like something that might be breaded a bit, but she can't eat a whole bun that would come with a burger. So, she can take some home.

Got a recipe from a friend whose husband and both daughters have celiac disease. They are really good.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE apparently is having gut problems again.....

(( sigh ))

So tonight he just wanted a leftover chicken thigh and a bowl of steamed cauliflower. Sounded awful to me but if that's what sounded good to him, so be it.

So, leftovers it was.........

December, 2023 ~ The holidays are upon us!  ((  How did the year go by so fast???  )) - Page 3 12_24_21

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the fish dinner last evening. It was a big pot of stew, with mussels, clams, shrimp squid, and scallops. Then, lobster bisque; and tons of breaded regular shrimp, and coconut shrimp. Steamed clams, and peel and eat shrimp in a ring.

By the way....... Happy, and merry Christmas to all. God bless you, and all.......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Merry Christmas to all our cooking friends.....even if you're too tired to cook!

May your day be Merry & Bright!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't know if it's Murphy's Law or The-Best-Laid-Plans......

Christmas dinner at Lyn's has been postponed until further notice.

She called me at 9:00 this morning ~ she tested positive for Covid. She said she thought she just had a 'cold' but didn't want to take chances so she did a test.....and it came up positive immediately. She asked me what I thought and I said, "well, we have to cancel tonight". Apparently 8 of today's attendees were at her house last night to keep her company for Christmas Eve so 90% of tonight's guests are exposed. And three of them agreed with me when she contacted them.

(( sigh ))

So, Dane & I are planning a Christmas frittata for supper........

LOL

Bah HUMBUG !!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum