Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies!

+4
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I called her Mrs. Swanson, the tv dinner lady.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Happy Thanksgiving Day/weekend to all! From chilly Niagara.

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:Happy Thanksgiving Day/weekend to all! From chilly Niagara.
Happy turkey day to you and all. ENJOY....

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, I'm so sorry (NOT) I didn't roast a 12# turkey.....

We ate two wings and one thigh......I should have just picked up 3 pieces at Publix yesterday.....

LOL

No desire for pumpkin pie for dessert ~ I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_23_29

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Happy Thanksgiving to all.. Still reading everything.. just not logging in...

Today, it was just me and Geoffrey for Thanksgiving.

I purchased a new Ninja 12 in 1 oven, a few weeks ago, because my oven is really horrible. When you live in senior housing, they do not expect you to cook, so they give you the cheapest stuff. This stove is a mini-stove, the oven door does not even close evenly. I gave up trying to
deal with it.

This will be the second time I am using the 12 in 1.  It has 2 ovens. Both small; the top one is tiny, but works well as a toaster oven and broiler. The bottom oven is a bit larger, air fries, air crisps, air bakes, etc.
The smoke detectors do go off when I used it. I found out, through a couple of sources, that I can cover the smoke detectors with shower caps, to keep this from happening.. so this morning-- I did just that.  Surprisingly, it works!! Now, to remember to take them down.

I decided on a non-traditional T-day. Since it was just me, and I really wanted to see if I remembered how to cook, I decided to do so. I do not care for turkey.
A couple of years ago, I made a chicken thighs in a cranberry chutney type of sauce.
I decided to do the same today.

It was stove top sautéed chicken thighs, with a cranberry type of chutney sauce: Whole fresh cranberries, onions, white wine, water, orange zest, fresh orange juice, light brown sugar, S&P..and then placed in the oven to cook further.

My Ninja worked great!! Smoke detector did not go off!!

I tried some air fried green beans - failure-- but win one, lose one. I still ate some.

Sides were Basmati rice with a spring of fresh thyme, and cooked in chicken broth.
And low sodium Stove Top Stuffing.
Pumpkin pie for dessert, with whipped cream.

It all came out good. I guess I have not lost my cooking touch!!  

Clean up was a pain. I did try to keep up with it as I went along..but I am tired.. No dishwasher..
I used paper plates-- easier and pretty on the table.

here are a couple of pictures:  one before the meal.. one with the meal.
I have leftovers... I swear I like the side dishes better than the main course.  I always did.BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 Img_1713

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

My food post..BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 Img_1716

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Cyn, I think cooking is like riding a bicycle.....once you learn how you just need to force yourself to try again! (and hope you don't end up with a broken arm! LOL)

I spent most of my day in & out of the kitchen. Bugs me that being on my feet that much leaves me with slightly swollen ankles & feet. But I'm able to know the kitchen is cleaned up (more or less) and now I can elevate my feet in my recliner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:My food post..BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 Img_1716
We ate on real plates, but I refused. I just love the paper plates; and the plates we have, are the same plates you have for the fall meals. We are also using the 4th of July plates we have left over.
BTW..... your meal looks and sounds great.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper was 'reheat whatever you want, whenever you want it' night.

The inside of my refrigerator is crammed with leftovers. I did make some chicken salad for my lunch (which is not exactly leftovers to me because I morph the chicken into something completely different than the hot meal it started as) and I enjoyed it.

But tonight I reheated some dressing & gravy and some green bean casserole.

Sadly, there is still a pie and more ~ I know I can't freeze the leftover pumpkin pie.... I'm sorry now I didn't find a new home for it when I made it Wednesday afternoon.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think we are finally DONE with leftovers.

I was done with leftovers 2 days ago.........

but tonight's supper was leftover sweet & sour pork.

ENOUGH!!!

Anything left in the refrigerator tomorrow afternoon is getting tossed.

I just looked in the refrigerator and I have what I need for the Mediterranean Chicken Salad ~ it may be something I've made too often but it sounds light and fresh and just what I want for supper tomorrow.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner was Stuffed cabbages that Tina made the other day. Lunch was a bologna sandwich on rye bread. Apple pie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

stir fry of Calamari rings, onion, red and yellow pepper with cream, over some egg noodles and a bit of spaghetti, 'cause the egg noodles weren't enough! No picture, but you've seen it before! LOL

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You've seen it 50 times before.....

but it's just right for a lovely 'mid-summer-winter' day. Today was a beautiful, sunny 73° day ~ and just right for a nice salad supper.

(( Sorry if others are having cooler weather ~ this is one of the joys of living in Florida! ))

We're supposed to have a cold front come through starting tomorrow morning ~ in the 40's ~ Brrrrrrr! For us, that's COLD!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_27_22

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. London broil from my favourite market, baked potato and veggie mix. Now, I have to admit that I have been on the “I only use fresh veggies” bandwagon, but I have realized that I have been wasting $$$ and throwing veggies away. So, I bought some frozen mixed vegetables and had some tonight. They are a little overcooked for my liking, but I can deal with it. So, I’m willing to try with frozen more often."

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_27_23

NormM

NormM

A few days ago we had on Charlies request, Swedish Meatgalls. Today we had chili but didn't take pictures.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 Img_1311

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't have a clue of what to cook for supper. Nothing looked/sounded good.

I finally looked at HIM and said, "It's up to YOU to come up with an idea for supper."

HE sat for a full 5 minutes and finally came up with "Order a pizza".......

That would be a good idea, normally, but I'm tired of them not offering the toppings we like and when we do get the pizza it's cold....well, warm, but not the way we like.

So, I came up with the brilliant idea of picking up a thin crust cheese pizza, just par cooked and not cut.....and then I could add the toppings we like and it would bake in my preheated oven in about 5 minutes.

What a plan!

And it worked! Yes, I could have made a pizza completely homemade ~ but I didn't want to.

I did fry up a bit of chopped bacon. I sliced some onion. I sliced a bunch of green olives.

(Alright ~ together now, say, "Ewwwwwww!")

What can I say. That's what we like ~ Thin Crust, Mozzarella, Bacon, Onion & Green Olives.

YUM! (( And I did something I only do probably once a year ~ I had my pizza with a beer. ))

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_28_21

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_28_22

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I didn't have a clue of what to cook for supper.  Nothing looked/sounded good.

I finally looked at HIM and said, "It's up to YOU to come up with an idea for supper."

HE sat for a full 5 minutes and finally came up with "Order a pizza".......

That would be a good idea, normally, but I'm tired of them not offering the toppings we like and when we do get the pizza it's cold....well, warm, but not the way we like.

So, I came up with the brilliant idea of picking up a thin crust cheese pizza, just par cooked and not cut.....and then I could add the toppings we like and it would bake in my preheated oven in about 5 minutes.

What a plan!

And it worked!  Yes, I could have made a pizza completely homemade ~ but I didn't want to.

I did fry up a bit of chopped bacon.  I sliced some onion.  I sliced a bunch of green olives.

(Alright ~ together now, say, "Ewwwwwww!")

What can I say.  That's what we like ~ Thin Crust, Mozzarella, Bacon, Onion & Green Olives.

YUM!          ((  And I did something I only do probably once a year ~ I had my pizza with a beer.   ))

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_28_21

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19413182/3427][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f67/19/41/31/82/11_28_

What, no pineapple or anchivies? That's not a reall pizza!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw the leftover Cranberry Jelly in the refrigerator.....90% still in the can.

But I'm sure HE enjoyed the one slice he had with his Thanksgiving dinner. Seems like such a waste but, hey, HE likes that little bit.

So, I decided to make Cranberry BBQ chicken thighs. I do like thighs ~ it's impossible to overcook them and I always make sure they are D*O*N*E ! I seasoned the thighs and then browned them in a cast iron skillet to render off much of the fat. Then they went into a baking dish and I put some of the BBQ sauce on them. That was cranberry sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, a tiny bit of soy sauce and some water ~ got heated to bring it all together and then cooled down. Oh, and I also added some sambal oeleck (garlic chili sauce) for a tiny bit of heat that we enjoy.

My butternut squash was the most beautiful deep orange color. I knew as soon as I cut it that it was going to be good.

I peeled the bottom of my asparagus so I could use more of the bottom of the stem. It was pretty easy to steam in the microwave for 3 minutes. Easier than opening a can of any vegetable....and so much better tasting.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_29_13

NormM

NormM

The store had these two steaks in one package for $!0. and I just put new burners on my grill. Too good an opportunity to ignore. We had a salad and twice baked potatoes too.BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 Img_1312

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Minuit steak sandwiches with peppers, onions, and cheese; with mine on rye bread. Tina's on white bread. My seeded rye was a mistake. Like eating a Peanut butter and ground raw liver sandwich on a stale bagel. Rye bread just doesn't match with taste for any steak that I eat, unless it's liverwurst or pastrami.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had leftovers of my Tuesday night dinner. Some beef rib with gravy, potatoes and a particular rolled pasta that my mom used to make. Trying to "Eat out of my freezer" as they say. Tonight it will be a stuffed pepper that was lurking in the bottom of my freezer.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No thoughts yet for the dinner menu.... ? ?

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Leftover lasagna rollups for me tonight. Shopped in my freezer again for tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We each had a garden salad, and dessert is on the way from Dunkin as soon as Tina brings it home from the store. She was taking GGS home next to a Dunkin where he lives by.
She had pick up the kid day from school...  

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

(I forgot to enter this last night......)

Again, I couldn't think of what to fix for supper. I'm in such a 'cooking funk' lately.

But I ended up making omelettes ~ and it seemed just fine.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 4 11_30_17

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum