Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies!

+4
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was a perennial favorite ~ Sausage, Ham, Potatoes & Green Beans ~ all cooked in the same pot and served in the pot. Lazy Mom Supper!

The first time I ever made it was 'One-Of-Those-Days'......no idea of what to fix and no energy to go to a lot of work. I used what was in the refrigerator and put the pot in the middle of the table. Robin was still living at home and she looked at her dad and they both asked at the same time, " WHAT IS THAT???"

I just looked at them and said, "Supper......"

Funniest thing is ~ I thought I had made way too much and before they got up from the table the pot was empty.

That's when I (mentally) patted myself on the back for a job well done!

First time I made it was just with cut up ham steak. I've since 'tweaked' the recipe to start with some browned sliced Johnsonville Smoked Brats because it adds more smokey flavor as well as some pork fat to the dish. Then (for the two of us) a cut up slice of ham (I used Walmart brand tonight and it was good flavor), a few cut potatoes & enough water to cover. When the potatoes start to boil I add the fresh green beans and let it simmer until both vegetables are tender.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_13_16

(oh, NO!!! It's all touching!!!)

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_13_17

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was fish day. Fillet of sole, rice and peas and carrots. Chocolate cake for dessert.
It was great. Tina made it...

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to a late lunch with Lyn today.

HE is going to finish up some leftovers tonight.

Guess who's NOT at all hungry ???

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I finished the chicken soup. Picked on some kielbasa, and had coconut custard pie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Piece of baked salmon, sweet potato and yellow beans. Beans looked anemic, so I threw in a few spinach leaves at the end for colour!"

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_14_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went outside where HE was putzing around with his plants and told HIM I was going to go to Fresh Market to get some ground chuck. Okey dokey ~ see you later!

I drove to the store and as soon as I saw the parking lot was not packed I realized today is Wednesday......NOT TUESDAY as I thought......

(( sigh ))

I'm not going to pay the regular price for ground chuck just because I'm too lame brained to remember what day of the week it is.

So, I made a stop at the Publix down the street to see what they had in their 'BOGO' bins ~ nothing I needed ~ so I just picked up some lovely celery that I knew I needed and some broccoli that was on sale.....and headed home.

So, my meal plan for burgers on the grill will have to hold off until NEXT Tuesday. I knew I had everything in the vegetable drawer for a Greek Chicken Salad.....just had to thaw a couple thin chicken cutlets and get them marinated with the Greek oregano, Hungarian Hot Paprika, s&p and olive oil.

My salad is made and dressed ~ sitting in the refrigerator until supper time. I'll occasionally give it a toss and then, when it's time, I'll quickly saute the chicken and we'll be ready to go.

bethk

bethk
Admin

You've seen it before ~ and it never changes........

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_15_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chili with rice. So good...
Raisin bread toasted and buttered for dessert.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 Img_2437

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night we went out with neighbor Jim ~ his daughter is visiting to plan his dinner party for his birthday party on Saturday. As usual, he's complaining and being grumpy because he doesn't like turning 80.....we keep telling him it's a privilege and to stop with all the complaints.

It was funny, however, when he said he got a call from his other child, his son, who 'let it slip' that his daughter had hired a clown to come into the party room during his dinner to sing Happy Birthday to him. She had NOT done any such thing but he believed his son's story and was madder than a wet hen! When he told us about how his son tricked him we laughed so hard ~ ~ just knowing how mad he would be if something like that happened at a restaurant and all the attention it would bring to him.

So tonight will be supper at home ~ nothing looked good in the freezer OR at the grocery store to cook so I just ended up picking up some fried chicken. I have some zucchini and broccoli that will go in the air fryer oven while the chicken re-heats in the toaster oven at a much lower temperature.

Then, tomorrow night will be the birthday party dinner so I won't have to cook again.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight ~ Publix fried chicken, air fried zucchini sticks & broccoli (no, it isn't 'burned' ~ that's the way we like it).

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_17_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made breaded veal, and a pan of lasagna. I had a garden salad with mine.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I think I have become a PITA about the age thing.  I hear so many people complaining about getting old.
Sorry folks, what's the alternative?  My daughter died at 44, I wish she could see getting older.  I will NEVER complain about getting old.  I know, stop preaching, Lore. Next week it will be 14 years since that plane went down with my Cindy and her husband in it.  Give your children a special hug for me, please

PS, cheese, crackers and a can of makerel for me tonight. And some small tomatoes.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

I grilled a couple of steaks and made Street Corn Pudding BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 Img_1310

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely Birthday Celebration for Jim's 80th at a local Country Club. Both his daughter & son were there, along with his son-in-law and three grandsons. Altogether there were 14 of us there to celebrate with him. He was, of course, embarrassed by the attention which is why, I'm sure, his son made a toast to him and then lead the group to sing 'Happy Birthday' to him as we had dessert. There's not a whole lot you can do to argue with your adult son! LOL

But the food was good and the service was very good ~ no problems with anything and everyone got served at the same time. I appreciate the restaurant being able to take care of a birthday party when the rest of the place is packed with their regular Saturday night crowds.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Italian wedding soup. I had that for lunch, and now will be a burger for supper .

Tina made a banana cake for dessert. Maria brought pastry's from the local farm stand.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with the suggestion to finish the leftover Publix fried chicken. We both had a huge breast ~ too large for a meal but what wasn't eaten was dumped so it's gone.

I went to the store this afternoon to get the first of the holiday meal ingredients ~ and stuff we needed like TP, paper towels & Kleenex......boy, that stuff adds up fast.

But WalMart had some fresh collards and I thought it would be good with the chicken. I knew I had a box of Jiffy Mix cornbread (I add a can of corn, blitzed in the mini food chopper, to the mix ~ we like it that way). And that was supper.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_19_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lasagna roll ups done. Delicious, and easy to make. Will be doing this from now on!"

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_19_14

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_19_15

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_19_16

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_19_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It will be just spaghetti and a salad. No muss, and no fuss. I just came from imaging for a CT scan for my copd. I made a pickle pimento sandwich, and a slice of cherry pie. Tina went to the blue army shrine to get a new bracelet. DD is putting up the Christmas decorations.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm so happy to finally make a trip to Fresh Market on the Ground Chuck special price Tuesday.....I missed the last two weeks because I got distracted with other 'stuff'.

So, tonight was my Big Boy Burger ~ not a large burger but one that mimics the Big Boy Restaurant burger we had regularly when we lived in Ohio. It was like our 'go-to' place when the girls were young. I loved their 'special sauce', which is, in reality, their marketed tartar sauce. And it's a perfect pairing with a thin burger with the addition of shredded lettuce, sliced onion and dill pickles.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_21_15

Cookin Lore

A burger is always good! Son texted me, do I want to meet him and DIL for dinner at the brew pub???? Of course, I went. They make a fabulous Jalapeno grilled cheese sandwich, I asked for extra Jalapeno, 'cause I love spice. Sandwich was great, lots of the little rings of pepper, but they take all the seeds out and it wasn't enough for me, Oh well, good times with kids! That's the most important. No picture, well there is one of them, so Ill forward that. LOL

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Getting a head start on tomorrow's holiday meal for 2.....

Jim was able to get a rental car so he's going to his daughter's.

My Jello salad is done. I'm starting the potatoes now. My pie comes next.

I'll wait until tomorrow to do the green beans & mushroom sauce, as well as roasting the chicken.

Now I just have to remember to heat the dinner rolls (thanks to Fresh Market) and put the jellied cranberry sauce (out of the can) for HIM. The last two years it just sat on the shelf in the refrigerator, sadly forgotten, until it finally got used for either a crockpot pork or a chicken casserole.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I didn't want chicken.....saw the pork tenderloin scraps that I cut for Sweet & Sour Pork when I trim the tenderloins and stash it in the freezer. Pork for the day before Thanksgiving sounded like a good idea.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_22_22

And I really wanted to do a test run to see how long whipped cream would last.....so I decided to combine it with a test of the pumpkin pie..........LOL (I'm so lame with my excuses........Hahahaha!)

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_22_23

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 3 11_22_24

I can report that even using the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts.....the pumpkin pie is just fine.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made stuffed cabbages tonight. She made 7 pumpkin pies and is prepping her stuffing and had made 4 pans of lasagna with ground beef, and one pan for me and GD with just the cheese. We are also roasting Two 12 Lb. turkeys.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made stuffed cabbages tonight. She made 7 pumpkin pies and is prepping her stuffing and had made 4 pans of lasagna with ground beef, and one pan for me and GD with just the cheese. We are also roasting Two 12 Lb. turkeys.

So, 100 people for dinner tomorrow????

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made stuffed cabbages tonight. She made 7 pumpkin pies and is prepping her stuffing and had made 4 pans of lasagna with ground beef, and one pan for me and GD with just the cheese. We are also roasting Two 12 Lb. turkeys.

So, 100 people for dinner tomorrow????

Hahahahahahaha !!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum