Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies!

+4
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]It will be breaded and fried chicken, and turned into chicken Frances. Tina will cook and save a few pieces just fried to a crisp for me. ... I wont eat wet chicken like that. Uh Uu ! NOPE!
I may drizzle a little of the garlicy broth as I eat and cut mine. The garlic sauce is delicious.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a spaghetti squash sitting on the counter.....Hmmmmm..........

So, Spaghetti Squash w/marinara and a small chicken cutlet, just seasoned & sauteed, splashed with a bit of the marinara, added sliced mozzarella.....put into the hot oven the squash was baked in until the cheese melted.

It was pretty tasty ~ and HE didn't have any complaints........

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_08_18

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

A Bed and Breakfast Inn here in Kansas makes a version of Dutch Babies called "Prairie Puffs" They serve then with seasonal fruit.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with about 4 ideas for supper.......NONE of which I wanted ~ or wanted to cook. I did get some ground beef out to thaw to make tacos tomorrow.

But I ended up making vegetable omelettes ~ his with cheese, mine with taco sauce on top.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_09_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had kielbasa braised with onions and potato wedges. Grated horseradish to eat with it.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had a cheese and tomato sandwich..................... I don't know what my body is telling me. Went to my third piano lesson yesterday. There is a full flight of stairs to go up, which is normally no problem. I was fine, but on my way down, about halfway something seemed to almost snap in my left leg, and I have been in excruciating pain since then. First it seemed to be in the knee, then it went into my thigh area. Couldn't imagine cooking anything.
I have another shift at thrift this afternoon, hope some extra strength Tylenol will help enough to do that. I have some Oxi Codon left from when I had my broken ancle two years ago, but I really don't want to use them if I have to drive, and in the case of working as a cashier, who knows if I can handle the $$$$ properly.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ it's time to go have your leg checked by a professional.

It could be a torn meniscus. It requires attention.....cold will help with the pain and/or swelling.

According to google:

"The meniscus is the thin, fragile tissue between the knee joints. It acts as a cushion and shock absorber and is crucial to keeping the joint stable. It also helps more evenly distribute body weight across the knees. Without the meniscus, the joints and bones would push and rub together, causing regular wear and tear and inevitable damage."

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of the meals HE suggested yesterday that I didn't want......

Tacos ~ HE had his on soft tortillas, dressed as he wanted.

I turned mine into a taco salad.

I will say, the guacamole was really tasty and we both enjoyed it with fresh tortilla chips.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_10_25

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore ~ it's time to go have your leg checked by a professional.

It could be a torn meniscus.  It requires attention.....cold will help with the pain and/or swelling.

According to google:

"The meniscus is the thin, fragile tissue between the knee joints. It acts as a cushion and shock absorber and is crucial to keeping the joint stable. It also helps more evenly distribute body weight across the knees. Without the meniscus, the joints and bones would push and rub together, causing regular wear and tear and inevitable damage."

THanks. Didn't go to the doctor, keeping leg elevated has helped. I didn't go to do my shift, have nothing planned for the next several days, so I'll see how I am on Monday. Maybe then go to the doc. There's no swelling.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a neighborhood monthly lunch today ~ a couple dozen neighbors show up and have a nice time visiting at a local restaurant.

HE looked at me as we were getting ready to leave......said, "No supper needed tonight!"

I agreed. Seems like one meal per day is our limit.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I’m hobbling around with a cane, but managed to make dinner. I had a London broil ready to make Thursday night and then had the problem with my knee.

It’s better to the point that I could put the meat and some crinkle cut potato slices in the oven. Made a salad of what I had, cuc, red pepper, green onion, grated daikon radish, and some parsley,basil and lemon juice. Oh, and Somme canned mango to add sweetness. Yumm!"

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_11_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was pizza night. I made some pizza for the kids and my nephew who came up from MD for a visit with his wife....

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 Img_2436

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tonight was pizza night. I made some pizza for the kids and my nephew who came up from MD for a visit with his wife....

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 Img_2436

WOW! THat's enough pizza for a large crowd, they all look great! Can you, would you tell us what is on each one, just so we'll all get hungry???? Please?? I'm particularly intrigued by what the green is on one of them?

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:We had a neighborhood monthly lunch today ~ a couple dozen neighbors show up and have a nice time visiting at a local restaurant.

HE looked at me as we were getting ready to leave......said, "No supper needed tonight!"

I agreed.  Seems like one meal per day is our limit.....

That's a great idea, neighbourhood lunch!

In my building, a group has formed that does tapas on Friday afternoon. There is a large area called the observation deck, but it's inside both heated and has AC. Comfortable furniture small tables. Gorgeous view of the area from the top. Unfortunately, the area is not available by elevator, there's a whole flight of stairs to get there. When this building was built in 1987, accessibility was not high on the list of requirements.

Everyone brings something sharable, and it's BYOB. A fun couple of hours, and also pretty well no dinner afterwards. I had made some carrot cake before my knee problem, so one of the guys came to pick that up and help me get upstairs.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had two lemons drop to the sidewalk this morning so I started looking for a recipe I could use the juice for. I had seen a recipe for a Cream Cheese Lemon Bar that sounded good to me because it wasn't as tart and had a better texture to the lemony custard than the ones I had previously made. So, I looked until I found a few and then just adjusted it until I had what I wanted.

The recipe called for 3/4 cup of lemon juice ~ I got a little over a full cup of juice from the two lemons we got today. They just have to be scrubbed really well because they hang on the tree for most of the year before being harvested in November - January.

I posted the recipe I used in the 'Sweets' thread.....

The Cream Cheese Lemon Bars are in the oven now. I'll let you know how they taste after they're baked and cooled. If they're good I'll be handing out little plates of them all around the neighborhood. Lord knows I don't need a 9 X 13 pan of them waiting on me to keep eating them!

Oh, and here are a couple pictures of my Meyer Lemon tree that is planted outside my front door:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_16

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cream Cheese Lemon Bars are out of the oven to cool. I'll let them come to room temperature and then refrigerate them before attempting to cut them into bite size servings. I know they're really sweet and rich so small is better.

(( Small is also easier to eat without anyone seeing you.......LOL ))

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tonight was pizza night. I made some pizza for the kids and my nephew who came up from MD for a visit with his wife....

WOW! THat's enough pizza for a large crowd, they all look great!  Can you, would you tell us what is on each one, just so we'll all get hungry???? Please?? I'm particularly intrigued by what the green is on one of them?
Thanks Lore... The green topping is Bell Pepper Strips. The rest were Sausage, pepperoni, onion, plain, and a mushroom.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday morning I boiled the carcass & scraps from a rotisserie chicken to make soup stock. HE asked why I purchase a rotisserie chicken from the store and I told him it's cheaper than buying a whole chicken and then having to cook it, plus the seasoning and browning of the skin really adds a lot to the flavor and color of my stock.

I also wanted to use the dark meat for chicken salad (that I had for my lunch today) and I'll use half the breast meat for my soup tonight ~ the other half will be for HIM to use for cold chicken sandwiches (with Miracle Whip) that he really likes.

So I have my noodles mixed & kneaded and ready to roll out. My stock is heating slowly to come up to temperature ~ I'll boil it to add the noodles a little closer to suppertime. Oh, and I have my carrots & celery already boiled and cooked to the way we like them, not too mushy. The cut up chicken breast is added to the vegetables to reheat and then gently stir into the soup when the noodles are cooked so nothing gets broken up too much.

Oh, here's a pic of my lunch chicken salad....dark meat chicken with a handful of toasted pecans, cut grapes & celery with a dressing of Hellmann's, Miracle Whip, Sour Cream, a bit of Grandma's vinegar syrup, and sprinkles of sweet curry powder, dried chervil & dried tarragon.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I won't be making the Cream Cheese Lemon Bars again....at least not until I feel like I can become a baker without huge FAIL!!!

I thought my foil sling would be just right to get the bars to release from my 9 X 13 pan.....WRONG!  I should have sprayed it all better.  The sugar heavy batter leaked under and behind the foil and it was like trying to open the door to Fort Knox without the key.

I thought they were baked through....but I was WRONG.  They surely needed another 15 - 20 minutes.  

Oh well, live and learn.  I won't be sharing any with the neighbors.  Some will be packaged in little bits for when I want something really sweet.  But most will get dumped because of my disgust with my big FAIL.

You can see where the filling adhered the foil sling to the baking pan ~ all the corners:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_20

I ended up cutting and prying out the ends that were stuck the worst ~ then I was able to pull the sling out of the pan ~ HE even had to come and hold the pan down as I pulled....and pulled.......and pulled!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_21

I cut them into tiny pieces ~ they're really quite tasty but sweet.....   That's when I noticed how gooey they were in places ~ NOT RIGHT!  (((  sigh   )))

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_22

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, I won't be making the Cream Cheese Lemon Bars again....at least not until I feel like I can become a baker without huge FAIL!!!

I thought my foil sling would be just right to get the bars to release from my 9 X 13 pan.....WRONG!  I should have sprayed it all better.  The sugar heavy batter leaked under and behind the foil and it was like trying to open the door to Fort Knox without the key.

I thought they were baked through....but I was WRONG.  They surely needed another 15 - 20 minutes.  

Oh well, live and learn.  I won't be sharing any with the neighbors.  Some will be packaged in little bits for when I want something really sweet.  But most will get dumped because of my disgust with my big FAIL.

You can see where the filling adhered the foil sling to the baking pan ~ all the corners:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_20

I ended up cutting and prying out the ends that were stuck the worst ~ then I was able to pull the sling out of the pan ~ HE even had to come and hold the pan down as I pulled....and pulled.......and pulled!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_21

I cut them into tiny pieces ~ they're really quite tasty but sweet.....   That's when I noticed how gooey they were in places ~ NOT RIGHT!  (((  sigh   )))

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_22

O my gosh! ... this is better than watching a dozen Lucy Ricardo's on tv. lol! BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 2876911673 BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 2876911673

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Let's face it ~ I never suggested I was a baker.....

Just plain cooking is more my speed.

So I did OK making Chicken Noodle Soup for our supper.

My stock & add-ins heated and ready to go:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_23

The noodles ready:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_24

Soup Cooking:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_25

Supper!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 11_12_26

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ok... I just came back from cleaning myself up from wetting myself from laughing at the Lemon Bar Dilemma!
Tina bought one of those serrated cast iron square pans. Well, DD cooked bacon on it, and added maple syrup on the bacon. The bacon stuck to the pan, and we had to chisel off the bacon. The syrup burned to the pan so bad, we had to throw the pan away....  BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 1f606  

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

LOL! The fails that the two of you had makes me feel sooooooo much better, just to realize that we all have fails occasionally. My children did suggest to me some time ago that I should stick to what I know, and leave the baking to others!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes ~ EVERYONE has dismal fails at times.

But only with really good friends can you share your flops and, hopefully, laugh it off.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes ~ EVERYONE has dismal fails at times.

But only with really good friends can you share your flops and, hopefully, laugh it off.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 2876911673 BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! - Page 2 2876911673

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum