Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies!

+4
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Cookin Lore

Up relatively early today, temp is hovering at the freezing mark.  Show me/us your best "warming" dishes.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Freezer game, yet again.......

First thing I laid eyes on was a package of casing hot dogs.....

OKey dokey ~ hot dogs with some of Jimmy's Greek Sauce & Onions on a toasted bun.

Didn't make anything to go with it so it was just a hot dog and chips.

Tomorrow I'm going to the beach with Lyn and 4 other ladies. It's going to be cool (in the low 70's) but all we really do is sit and listen to the waves and smell the fresh sea air. It's always good to get away for a few days. I should be home on Sunday ~ so behave while I'm away.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_01_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was Suzan's meatballs ....
Beef ground with onions, then fried just to brown a little; then baked with cream of mushroom soup.
Scalloped potatoes with that. Now, I want dessert. I'm wishing for waffles.
Would you believe Tina wanted me to throw this monster machine away?
Nothing wrong with it. It just makes perfect waffles. Who cares if it's old... No  This was a $300.00 machine in the 60's.  Mad

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! Waffle11

bethk, Imelda HL and muzicgirl like this post

JanaAZ

Made dinner for my friend again today. This poor woman is up all night with a baby that won’t sleep.

Today I make teriyaki chicken with coconut rice and grilled pineapple. I made a few pieces for us too. Steve was really enjoying this and asked me if I had a recipe. Stupid question because he knows I usually don’t.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! Img_9712

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Aash-e Jow (Persian Barley, Rice, & Bean Soup)

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! K%2FPhoto%2FRecipes%2F2021-01-Aash-E-Jow-Persian-Soup%2Fk-photo-2020-12-persian-soup

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE CARAMELIZED ONION GARNISH:
2 large yellow onions
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons dried mint
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed

FOR THE AASH-E-JOW:
1 large yellow onion
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 cup white basmati rice
1/2 cup pearled barley
1/2 cup French green lentils
8 cups water, plus more as needed
1 (about 15-ounce) can garbanzo or cannellini beans
2 ounces baby spinach (about 2 cups)
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 bunch fresh cilantro
Plain Greek yogurt, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
MAKE THE CARAMELIZED ONION GARNISH:
Thinly slice 2 large yellow onions. Coarsely chop 4 garlic cloves. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and a pinch of kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed.
Add the garlic, 3 tablespoons dried mint, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and stir to combine. Taste and season with more kosher salt as needed.

MAKE THE AASH-E JOW:
Peel and dice 1 large yellow onion. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and a pinch of kosher salt and cook until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric. Stir until the spices coat the onion, about 1 minute more.
Add 1/2 cup basmati rice, 1/2 cup pearled barley, and 1/2 cup French lentils, and stir until well combined. Add 8 cups water and bring to simmer.
Cover and simmer until the grains and lentils are al dente, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and rinse 1 can garbanzo or cannellini beans. Coarsely chop 2 ounces spinach until you have 2 cups. Coarsely chop the leaves from 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves until you have 1 cup. Coarsely chop 1 bunch cilantro leaves and tender stems until you have 1 cup.
Add the beans, parsley, cilantro, and spinach to the rice mixture. Stir and bring back to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally and making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot, until grains are tender and cooked through and soup has thickened but is still a bit loose, about 15 minutes more. (Add more water if it gets too thick.) Taste and season with kosher salt as needed. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and garnish with the reserved caramelized onions.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Welcome back muzicgirl and Imelda.
Tonight was chicken breasts bone in, and roasted in Tina's new lodge cast iron roaster.
It was ok, but it needed salt. She uses mrs. dash to limit my sodium.  BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 2764 for my heart health.

bethk, Imelda HL and muzicgirl like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The planned pork chops never happened. They can be for tomorrow.
Instead, we celebrated the start of diabetes month. For me anyway. We had Belgian waffles with whipped butter, and syrup. I just got my Trulicity diabetic drug, and Tina is still waiting for her Ozempic.
Operantly, It's hard for the pharmacy's to get it. That's ridiculous.
After supper, I'm having a piece of coconut custard pie, and a 'Krispy Kreme' cup of perked coffee.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you Jimmy.

Hi everyone, I'm back, I was away visiting my family in Jakarta for 5 weeks, came back here to bad jetlag, it took me a week to get back to my routine. No cooking, I still had some frozen meals I made for them, so that was what we ate, D also made some supper

Today I made some meat ball soup, I had some frozen meatballs, so I just added whatever veggies I had in my fridge and pantry

I got the idea from this site

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/albondigas_soup/

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! Dbc27010

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore (on 11.02.23)

"Dinner Tonight. Some butterflied garlic shrimp from Costco. (Just stick in the oven) and a salad. Salad was basically clean out the fridge."

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_02_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina breaded and fried pork chops. Baked potato with butter and sour cream.
Apple sauce and in a separate bowl ,spinach to eat with the chops. Jello for dessert. Whipped cream on top of mine.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina pulled a ring of lugonega sausage out of the freezer, and she is picking up ground beef at Weis after church. She wants the Sunday Sauce / gravy with macaroni; to be decided later....
I won't argue with that. I always said growing up, " Spaghetti every day; just cooked another way!"

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a lovely time at the beach with a bunch of old lady friends.....

Chicken Salad I had:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_02_13

A couple German Pancakes we had at brunch ~ one with assorted fruit and the other with apples.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_03_16

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_03_17

And I actually caught the sunrise one morning!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_04_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE picked beans when I was at the beach.....had the first of them tonight with breaded pork steak and acorn squash.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_05_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. More Lake Erie perch today and a baked acorn squash was my dinner. But also two pictures of the catch that my son and his friend Cauthen today. They got 46 perch. I got to take some home, Yumm!"

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_05_17

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_05_19

Son’s friend with two he caught. Lake Erie apparently has millions of those tasty fish swimming in there!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_05_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going out with neighbor Jim tonight.

It's also the first of the 'season' Social Club Meeting ~ I still cannot believe they voted me in as President......I'm the least social person in the entire neighborhood!

Cookin Lore

Very busy day for me today at thrift shop. I did a new "job" this morning. That was in the clothing section Checking shelves and racks of hanging clothes. taking off empty hangers, putting out new merchandise, checking fitting rooms etc. We have 4 colours of price tags. Red, yellow, green, blue. Every week one colour goes on 75% off on Monday morning. It was bedlam. I'm too old for this kind of work. Much easier to do the cash and take their money. I am exhausted, will not do one of those shifts again.

So, when I came home, I did the easiest thing for dinner. PUt a chicken leg in the oven, and the other half of the acorn squash that I started yesterday. Too tired to do more. No picture.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We're going out with neighbor Jim tonight.

It's also the first of the 'season' Social Club Meeting ~ I still cannot believe they voted me in as President......I'm the least social person in the entire neighborhood!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 4056093967 Congratulations Prezz ! BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 3267860543

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made nice Chicken Soup early this morning. No Skin.... No Bones.... No Beaks...and No Feet!. Just Broth with Beans, Corn, Carrots, and Zucchini, with HerbOx Low Sodium Powdered Bullion. We are having the soup, and then filet of sole right from the fresh fish monger that Tina bought from Costco .... Not Frozen... Tina will cook it in a wine / butter sauce.,

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:We're going out with neighbor Jim tonight.

Yes, Congratulations, Madame Pres! I'm sure there will be amazing things done in your presidency!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, no, no.......

You don't understand. I've been President for 3 years........and I'm sick of it! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Didn't know what to fix tonight. I knew it would be something with beans.....

I've got beans coming out of my ears! I think he has something like 8 plants of Blue Lake Bush Beans and they just produce like crazy! For once he got a pack of seeds that didn't get mixed up with runner beans that have to be de-stringed when you snip them. These have all been beautiful and tender green beans ~ SO much better than what's sold at the grocery store.

I finally decided on Buffalo Wings ~ and again, THANKS, NORM, for mentioning you had made the wings with the Alton Brown method of steaming and then baking. They come out tender and crispy on the outside ~ just the way we like them!

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_07_13

NormM

NormM

This Bucatini is becoming our new favorite pasta.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! Img_1223

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I had a lovely time at the beach with a bunch of old lady friends.....

Chicken Salad I had:

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_02_13

A couple German Pancakes we had at brunch ~ one with assorted fruit and the other with apples.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_03_16

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 09_03_17

And I actually caught the sunrise one morning!

What kind of dough mix are those pancakes? The only German pancake I know are some made like a French crepe, and rolled.

BRRRR, November, 2023 rolling in! Time to do the rib stickinng goodies! 11_04_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

What kind of dough mix are those pancakes?  The only German pancake I know are some made like a French crepe, and rolled.

They are also called a "Dutch Baby" or "Baked Pancakes" ~ an eggy batter that is poured into a hot skillet and then baked in a hot oven so it bakes up the sides of the skillet, forms a sort of 'bowl' shape.  The first one I ever had was sprinkled heavily with powdered sugar and they served it with a bunch of lemon wedges to be squeezed over the top.

Last edited by bethk on Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookin Lore

Thanks, I've heard of Dutch Baby but never heard them called a pancake. THey look good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum