Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Tonight was steak and peppers and onion on hot dog buns; topped with cheese, and broiled to toast the bun and melt the cheese. /...... ice cream later for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Very nice, Norm!  It's always great to be able to pull something out of the freezer and just go with it ~ your meal looks delicious!

I did everything in the 'air fryer' function of my oven ~ I really love I have that option.  I had all my sheet pans covered in foil so there's no difficult clean up.  

Chicken nuggets (with a dipping sauce of a leftover Chic-fil-a packet), carrots & parsnips (seasoned with olive oil & s&p) and a cubed sweet potato (seasoned with Mad Hunky & salt)

anything that looks 'burned' ISN'T ~ it come out of the oven really nicely caramelized and sweet!

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_16_20

I really like the air fry feature in my oven also. I haven't used my electric grill for quite a while, and am thinking about storing it away.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fried onions, mushrooms, yellow bell pepper and the last of the calamari steaks I had in a cream sauce on egg noodles. It’s not very colourful, should have used a red pepper, but the yellow was closer to “expiry”."

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_16_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

There were vegetables that needed to be used.....the last of the baby bok choy, the 'fresh' bean sprouts, 1/4 of an onion and a carrot......

So tonight is going to be a chicken stir fry.  I also have the leftover marinade I used for the beef and baby bok choy the other night.  So there's not all that much to do.

Well, except clean & trim the vegetables, get everything sliced to appropriate sizes and everything else washed & put out on paper towels to dry before the stir frying begins.

I'll make 1/2 c. of fresh rice and add in the 1/2 c. of leftover cooked rice and (hopefully) there won't be any leftover.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_17_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chicken stir fry was tasty ~ I'm glad I got to use the last of the baby bok choy & bean sprouts I bought a week ago. (Glad I remembered to store them in the refrigerator in 'lock/lock' containers)

Unfortunately ~ there's leftovers........

But they'll be eaten for someone's lunch before trash day comes again.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_17_16

Cookin Lore

NY Strip steak, Hasselback potato and a half of a delicata squash, all done in the oven. No picture. I have been helping 90 year old uncle with all that's involved in getting a new car. Motor on the old one died, so he's getting a new one He picks it up tomporrow and then I (hopefully) will not have any more duties or whatever. No picture of dinner.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

FAILURE  Tina made a casserole that we name (( Mikes Casserole )) !
Ground beef / onion powder / jarred sauce tomato original frozen veggies / topped with cheese and Pillsbury rolls in the blue tube on top.
No taste..... no salt..... Even Tina said it was tasteless. She used mozzarella instead of a cheddar.
I'm sure Mikey would not like this.
The grill is all fixed and cleaned up; so tomorrow, it will be hot dogs charred with Jimmy's Greek style hot dog chili. Raw minced onions, mustard and with Packo's sweet hot pickles on the side.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

.................. Oh my goodness.... how did the font get so big??......

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

BUMMER about the failure. But, the good news is that a failure is rare, so generally we can laugh about it. The grilled hot dogs sound great!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Lore,
Can't win em all! hahahahaha. Tonight will be a reprieve though. I made egg salad; tuna salad, plus
macaroni salad, to go with our hot dogs tonight.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

B.L.A.T.s for supper ~ Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado & Tomato sandwiches. It's amazing how much the addition of some avocado can add to a sandwich to completely fill you up. I also made some macaroni salad this morning to go with the sandwiches. HE didn't even go looking for chips to eat with his sandwich. Surprising!

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_18_16

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_18_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looking for something to eat that's easy, and tasty, but quick.
We have egg salad, tuna salad, and macaroni salad, so that can be a go to....?
We had corn on the cobb yesterday, so that is why the big issue is why we are not very constructive in wishing for anything special. We both feel like we were pumped up with gas pains in the guts.
I just took 2 Gas-X pills, and I'm burping like crazy. What a relief!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, look into rachelstea.com

Dane has found a lot of relief from the herbal teas....and, yes, you can add honey or sugar if you don't like it plain.  It's got a definite peppermint smell ~ I don't drink it but HE does.  He tells me when he's having a flare up it really calms things down.

I mean, it's worth a try....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was cooked on the gas grill tonight: Salmon & Grouper, packet potatoes (cubed potatoes, onion & cubanelle pepper) and asparagus.

It's been a long time since I've made the packet potatoes ~ I guess it's because I have to make a special stop at Publix for the cubanelle peppers because WalMart and Winn Dixie don't carry them. We either grew them in Ohio or had them always stocked at the Kroger & Meijer grocery stores.

As usual, HE got his salmon, simply seasoned with s&p, I had a small piece of grouper, seasoned with s&p and then slathered with mayonnaise and crusted with panko bread crumbs. The asparagus had olive oil and s&p.

Super easy ~ and quick to cook. The potatoes were secured in a non-stick foil packet and they steam and brown without making a mess on the grill. The foil allows them to slide out easily when cooked. The asparagus is just laid on the grill grates and rolled to brown on all sides. The fish gets cooked on a grill mat ~ easy & non-stick way to let the fish cook without breaking apart or sticking to the grill grates.

I like to get everything ready to go and let it sit on the table by the patio door (next to the grill) to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before I start cooking.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_19_15

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_19_16

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_19_17

NormM

NormM

I thawed some chicken thigh and did them in the air fryer. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 Img_0910

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, look into rachelstea.com

Dane has found a lot of relief from the herbal teas....and, yes, you can add honey or sugar if you don't like it plain.  It's got a definite peppermint smell ~ I don't drink it but HE does.  He tells me when he's having a flare up it really calms things down.

I mean, it's worth a try....

Thanks Beth. I will pass it on to my great item finder....
Tina or DD Maria.
Now that you mentioned that, we used to take sips of cream de mint to relieve stress in the digestion process. drunken

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Rachel's Kickapoo joy juice is ordered. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 1f603 bounce Can't wait to try it.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Rachel's Kickapoo joy juice is ordered. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 1f603 bounce Can't wait to try it.

I hope it helps.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight's supper is kielbasa cooked in sourcrout and potatoes.
Tina made a white vanilla cake with chocolate icing, and I want mine with ice cream, and fresh strawberries on the side. The heck with diebeatus for one meal. It's not gonna matter that much.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch day at Cheng's Chinese Restaurant. I knew I wanted something light.....and HE always likes the Mediterranean Chicken Salad (PLUS it agrees with his stomach.) so that's what I fixed.

I 'thawed' a chicken breast in the microwave and cut it across when it was still partially frozen ~ then when completely thawed I pounded it so it was the same thickness (and helps to tenderize it) and added the marinade ~ a simple paste made of Hungarian Paprika, s&p, Greek oregano & just a little bit of olive oil. I've tried to brush it on but find it's just easier to add the tiny bit to each side with my fingers. And then, immediately, washing my hands because I don't want to have 'red Hungarian hands' for the rest of the day! LOL

The salad is simply a seeded & chopped English cucumber, chopped sweet red pepper, chopped red onion (soaked for 10 minutes in ice water to remove the 'bite'), parsley from the patio pots and a good amount of halved kalamata olives ~ dressing is equal parts of lemon juice & olive oil, s&p, Greek oregano and maybe just a pinch of the Hungarian paprika. Today the lemon seemed really tart so I did add about 1/4 t. of sugar just to off-set the taste (honey works well, too). The salad usually gets made a good hour ahead, although today I mixed it all up and put it in the refrigerator to marinate in the dressing at 2:00 for a 5:00 p.m. supper. It's a salad that is good the next day if you have leftovers ~ just needs to sit out at room temperature for a bit so the olive oil doesn't get clumpy.

At serving time the chicken gets sauteed in a dry non-stick skillet until cooked through and then chopped into bite size pieces.....put over the salad and serve.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_20_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled out a half-rack of meaty pork ribs last night. After thawed I added some of Rich's Mad Hunky seasoning. I'll 'steam' them in the oven (on a rack & covered with foil) for an hour or so. Then, depending upon the weather, I may sauce & glaze on the grill or just leave them in the oven to get glazed (might just be easier).

I have carrots & parsnips to roast in the oven on 'air fry' and a couple potatoes that will bake along side of the ribs so they're nice and soft on the inside, crispy on the outside.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Woke up today with the aroma of Italian sausage and peppers cooking in the toaster oven. Tina can take credit for cooking that. I had a sore tongue during awakening; thinking my tongue was the sausage, and it was time to eat in my dream. OUCH!!!

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

No cooking again today. Went out for lunch at the Mandarin (large Chinese buffet in Ontario.) With uncle and an old friend of his. Uncle paid, so I'm happy. I had several little bits of salads, shrimp, mussels, more shrimp, some black pepper beef, broccoli, sauteed mixed Chinese vegetables, sauteed mushrooms; some more fish, some chicken etc., etc., No supper, that's for sure.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I guess I am to assume my BBQ Ribs w/Baked Potato & Roasted Carrots & Parsnips was a success ~ I watch as HE took 2 ribs, then another and another....Said he was trying to decide IF he liked them! LOL

The BBQ Sauce I used was half a jar of peach preserves blitzed in the mini-chop with the same amount of Sweet Baby Rays original. I do like a bit of sweet fruit included in my sauce.

I ended up finishing the ribs, cut into individual ribs, in the oven. About 3:00 p.m. it started to rain.....HARD.....so I didn't bother asking for the grill to be uncovered. I baked a couple potatoes and had the roasted carrots & parsnips.

I'm so full I think I'll just kind of roll around for a while!

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 4 05_21_14

Cookin Lore

THat's cute, figuring out by the third plate whether he likes it! My sister-in-law's boyfriend is the same, and never gains an ounce! I'm sure it was fabulous. I haven't done anything "Indian" style for a long time. Think I'll pull out my cookbooks. Today is a holiday in Canada. Called "Victoria Day" in honour of Queen Victoria of the late 18 hundreds. Also called May 24th. As in the weekend closest to the 24th of May, and cottage opening time. Most retail stores are closed, but the garden centers are busy, busy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum