Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A tomato sandwich with Mayo. and or bit of fried onions with kidney beans and over
shells macaroni's

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Left over lamb from last night with a corn vegetable salsa. I had some corn, added some orange pepper, radish, tomato, lots of parsley, salt/pepper some oil. And a half an jalapeño. I love spicy."

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_12_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:A tomato sandwich with Mayo. and or bit of fried onions with kidney beans and over
shells macaroni's
#############################################
See the little twin baby beans laying together in their little shell beds?
That is a treat to the taste sensors.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_2326

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had an early Mother's day dinner today, my sis in-law came visiting and had to go back to CA tomorrow. I cooked baked salmon with Parmesan topping, everybody liked it May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 Ab079d11

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 1e247211

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out last evening ~ it was Andrea's last evening here and she wanted to take us out to eat. Sometimes short visits are just too short.

But we had a nice evening and she & I sat up until much later than our usual bedtime just talking about our family history and things that happened......

Hopefully she & her husband will be moving closer to us when Tori begins college in the fall. I know she's looking forward to a smaller house and some warmer weather. I can only hope.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got Andrea to the airport on time and home in time to start marinating some sliced beef top round for a faux Korean kalbi beef grill. I knew I wanted to grill some of the baby bok choy I picked up at the International Market we stopped at on our way home on Wednesday.

I have some bean sprouts I need to use by tomorrow, I think, or they'll be tossed. I know ~ stupid to buy something just to toss it but it doesn't seem to fit with what I'm making tonight.....maybe I'll come up with something quick, I don't know. And if I do toss them I'm only out $1.21 so it's not as if I haven't wasted more than than at other times.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, how I wish Andrea would have stayed one more day.....but she needs to be home for Mothers' Day!

She would have appreciated tonight's simple supper of grilled kalbi beef (not exactly correct but mighty tasty and that's what matters!) and grilled bok choy brushed with the same marinade sauce as the beef sat in (no, not from the beef dish but a separate container). The charred leaves were probably my favorite ~ burned stuff just tastes good to me.

HE said he was full ~ and then sat and picked at the last of the beef as I was finishing up my supper.

So, I finished off the bok choy and now there's no leftovers except a bit of rice (and he may dump that instead of saving it).

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_13_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK, ..... lemmi see! Where am I?..... Oh yeah. Supper was a bowl of chili
that was left from the batch I made a couple day's ago.
I just started prepping for tomorrows birthday celeb meal, and for Mothers day.
I just sliced thinly, like 1/8"Inch thick eye round's from one large, and one 1/2 size one.
They were frozen, and I had to wait till they were 30 degrees before I sliced them. I makes it easier, and actually makes it possible to slice it. Dear Son wants that as one of his favorite meals.
fried with Italian seasonings and garlic powder in olive oil.
I guess spaghetti or rice to go with it.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Happy Mothers' Day! I just put some ribs in the oven yesterday before going for my shift at THRIFT! Too lazy/tired to make anything fancy, and I had some leftover beans to go with them. It will be a very quiet Mothers' Day for me. Sons have gone fishing, daughters in law are enjoying their quiet alone time. All our area fruit trees are in full bloom as well as so many flowering spring bushes. Think I'll take a drive in the country.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane just got home from his weekly shopping trip.....he's been going on errand runs every Sunday morning since I can remember. It was always his 'thing'.....

He got home and said, "Here. Happy Mother's Day." I was confused because he's NEVER given me a gift on Mother's Day (always said I'm NOT his mother......)

The 'gift' was a Zevo Bug Catcher device ~ saw it on TV and we discussed it might be just the thing to rid the house of the tiny gnats that we seem to have all the time. Don't know if it's because we now have some plants growing inside or why ~ there's no fruit sitting out ~ but they are just so irritating. Always seem to bother us.

So, I'm happy with my 'gift'!

LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOTHERS IN THIS FORUM, ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL DAY

No special cooking here as we have had celebrated early with my sis in-law on Friday, she and her husband have left yesterday

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane told me not to plan any supper for him tonight ~ he's going to make himself eggs (again....) as he's having a bit of gut distress. Man, every time I think he's all healed up and good to go he has another bout and seems to go back to square one.

But at least he's able to catch it before he's in extreme pain and just makes a meal for himself that is easy for him to digest. I suppose I should be happy he's not asking me to come up with something neutral and fixing a second meal for him.

As for me, I decided I'd make myself a 'Big Boy Hamburger' ~ garnished with my Frisch's Original Tartar Sauce, dill pickle slices, onion & shredded lettuce. I'm not usually a big sandwich eater but this is one sandwich I enjoy ~ especially when I make it myself and add just what I want. I also have some of that Mediterranean Salad with cucumbers, sweet red peppers, onion, parsley & kalamata olives. I wanted to get it made before my cucumber got soft or I forgot about it. The dressing is such a simple one: equal parts fresh lemon juice & olive oil, s&p and a tiny bit of dry Greek oregano. Whisk it up and you're good to go! (sometimes, if my lemon juice is extra tart I'll add a pinch of sugar to off-set that....)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I felt kind of bad that I had something I thought was absolutely delicious when HE was eating his 3 soft cooked eggs and one piece of toast......

But, hey, I got OVER that GUILT in no time!

LOL

And, yes, I did love my sandwich. But I do wish now I had made my 'thin' patties with 3 oz. of ground chuck instead of 4 oz. ~ What can I say? I like my burger patties for this type of sandwich to be 'smash burgers' and really thin and crispy around the edges. You can only get that with just a little beef.

The main component is the 'special sauce', Frisch's brand Tartar Sauce. It is the exact taste my mouth was hungry for. And even though the original sandwich doesn't add onion, I had some on mine because I happen to LIKE raw onion.....and thinly sliced dill pickles and shredded lettuce.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_14_16

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_14_17

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Everything went off with perfect cadence. Tina pan seared the steaks ( only because she has the knack of cooking them ). DIL made the veggies of potatoes and zucchini.
DD made iced cup cakes, and bought two grain breads.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

My Mother's Day was me, myself and I. BUt, I'm not complaining. My sons had gone fishing for the weekend. I had a wonderful day. I saw "Gypsy" on stage at the Shaw Festival Theatre. I bought season's tickets for the Shaw, I love live theatre. Then I wanted to go to one of my favourite places for an early dinner, had my tastebuds all set for some of their grilled octopus and GREEK potatoes, but the parking lot was jammed so I went home and had cheese and crackers! It was good too!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so this ISN'T about cooking (and maybe out of place, but, hey ~ skip if you're 'bugged' by the subject.....

Here's my Mother's Day gift ~ a Zevo flying insect trap. It's a 'plug-in' blue light with a sticky trap shield next to the light. I'm not sure of the price but I'm guessing around $20 for the unit and under $10 for the 2 refill pack. HE picked it up at the local Home Depot store.

I'll just post the pics ~ you can figure it out.... I took one pic last night ~ pretty spooky in the dark! LOL And the last one is of the many gnats that are no longer flying around me. I think it works!

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_24

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_25

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_26

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_27

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_28

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:My Mother's Day was me, myself and I.  BUt, I'm not complaining. My sons had gone fishing for the weekend.  I had a wonderful day.  I saw "Gypsy" on stage at the Shaw Festival Theatre.  I bought season's tickets for the Shaw, I love live theatre.  Then I wanted to go to one of my favourite places for an early dinner, had my tastebuds all set for some of their grilled octopus and GREEK potatoes, but the parking lot was jammed so I went home and had cheese and crackers!  It was good too!

I'm with you, Lore.....no going out to eat on a holiday ~ ANY holiday! The restaurants are crowded, sometimes they have a 'limited' menu and it's just a miserable experience.

So, sometime this week find a friend who enjoys the same type food and go and have a fabulous meal!

By the way, when I was at Costco I looked in the frozen fish area and didn't find ANY calamari steaks. It's fortunate for you they carry them by you!

Cookin Lore

I'll look for the calamari steaks again today. Gotta make a Costco run, and all my calamari are gone.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Neighbor Jim stopped and asked if we would go to supper with him.

It IS rude to turn him down (especially when I have absolutely nothing planned). LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had pierogi tonight. Luba ( Tina's uncles caregiver ) made them this morning.
I had mine heated in butter and fried onions.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Cajun catfish, fingerling potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts. Yumm!"

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_15_29

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim had gone to Sam's Club to buy some chicken. He rarely cooks, doesn't know much about cooking but still insists on making purchases at Sam's Club.....he lives alone and eats most meals out......I can't figure it out.

Anyway ~ he THOUGHT he was purchasing chicken thighs. (they sell small packages of chicken thighs at Publix or Winn Dixie grocery stores) Instead of coming home with chicken THIGHS he had 3 cryovac packs of chicken BREASTS ~ packaged two/pack. He tossed them into his freezer and then stopped by to ask if I would be able to use them. I don't normally want that much chicken at one time but decided to take them instead of having him dump them in the trash.

So tonight we're having chicken nuggets ~ marinated the cut chicken in buttermilk/sambal oeleck garlic chili sauce ~ and then coated in panko. They will be put in the oven using the air fry feature.

I also have a sheet pan of cubed sweet potato, seasoned with Rich's Mad Hunky seasoning and a big pan of carrots & parsnips that HE has been asking for.

It's hotter than Hades today but I'm making an oven meal.....dumb, I know. But the oven is heating up and I've got the stove vent on 'HI' so it should be fine.

I'm just glad I figured out how to have everything cook in the oven at the same time and get done in a short amount of time.

NormM

NormM

I thawed the piece of the brisket I had saved from St. Patrick's day and put it in the smoker today. It took 6 hours at around 225ºMay, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0832
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0833
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0831

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very nice, Norm!  It's always great to be able to pull something out of the freezer and just go with it ~ your meal looks delicious!

I did everything in the 'air fryer' function of my oven ~ I really love I have that option.  I had all my sheet pans covered in foil so there's no difficult clean up.  

Chicken nuggets (with a dipping sauce of a leftover Chic-fil-a packet), carrots & parsnips (seasoned with olive oil & s&p) and a cubed sweet potato (seasoned with Mad Hunky & salt)

anything that looks 'burned' ISN'T ~ it come out of the oven really nicely caramelized and sweet!

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 3 05_16_20

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum