Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn called and asked me to meet her at an Ocala Hospital where Bill has been admitted since Friday ~ another 'new' symptom....she's exhausted and just wanted to get away for an hour or so. So I picked her up and we went to have a late lunch.

I think she felt a little better when I dropped her back off. Turns out they are releasing him to go home.....don't know if that'll be more work for her or not. But it's never fun to spend your days assisting in a hospital.....

When I got home I knew I needed to get started on supper ~ it was 4:00 already and, fortunately, I had a sloppy joe supper planned. Surprisingly, everything got done by the appointed 5:00 supper time !

I just air fried the broccoli and had chips. I was going to make a salad but decided against it at the last minute. and I don't think it was missed.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_22_20

NormM

NormM

Crabs are still on sale. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0911
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0912

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Take advantage of those crab prices, Norm. Ours have gone back up to $15 - $18/lb.

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops and roasted potatoes; sort of Greek salad. Didn’t have any cucumbers so a yellow pepper substituted."

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_22_21

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]supper today was potato gnocchi's with jarred marinara sauce
Lunch was KFC chicken tenders. I don't like them. I wanted pop corn chicken, but the man gave her tenders. too rubbery, and not crispy and crunchy. Tina said, the man said they are the same qs pop corn chix. That's B....S.... I had them there before.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Crabs are still on sale. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0911
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0912

Not Fair, Norm! To keep posting about crabs, just to make me salivate and they are so expensive here. BUT, I think I deserve them, so, think I'll get some for myself today. LOL

NormM

NormM

Crab prices at the other stores are over $20.00 a lb. This store has had them at 7.99 for at least a couple months. I know they are selling if I am the only one buying. Don't even ask about the price of King crab.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Crab prices at the other stores are over $20.00 a lb.  This store has had them at 7.99 for at least a couple months.  I know they are selling if I am the only one buying.  Don't even ask about the price of King crab.

Norm, we've had absolutely NO King Crab available at all. Story we hear is it had been over harvested so there was none to be caught. We have had whole cooked and legs/claws of Pacific Dungeness Crab, and this is the first year since I've lived here that I've seen it.....but, again ~ way too pricey for me!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 sent me pics of her supper last night.....Sheet Pan Nachos.

That sealed the deal for tacos for tonight!
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_23_16

I had mine as a Taco Salad with Guacamole on the side and HE had his as soft flour tortilla tacos. We were both more than satisfied!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made chicken soup, and I had it with egg noodles.
Dessert will be a a Boston Cream doughnut. Coffee to wash it down.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Treated myself to some king crab. They were on ‘special’ half price, and those two pieces were $21,67!  They were wonderful, but a little dried out. Guess that’s why they were on special. Made some garlic bread, and in the small dish I made a mango salsa with corn, tomato, onion, parsley and a jalapeño.  That was really good."

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 King_c11

Lore ~ two pieces of King Crab for $22 is still a very good deal IF you compare it to the 'Market Price' charged in a restaurant.  And it's not as if they're doing anything special to it in a restaurant ~ it's a simple steam/warm up....already cooked on the capture ship.

Of course, I do pay extra for wonderful sides and the cocktail!  LOL

Last edited by bethk on Wed May 24, 2023 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Some years ago, I think quite possibly almost 40, King Crab was really cheap. It was coming here from both Norway and Russia. There was a large article in the National Geographic magazine about it. As I remember it, there was an over abundance of King crab in their waters which were eating up all the smaller fish, and shrimp in particular. So, they lowered/changed the quota of allowable crabs. And we benefitted. The king we get here are still coming from there. Maybe now they have been overfished again!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store, hoping for inspiration......

the only thing that looked good to me at the time was a package of chicken wings ~ fresh looking, meaty and ON SALE! HE gets the drummies ~ I get my 'flats & tips'.....and we're both happy about it.

So, Buffalo Wings was on the night's menu. I had half of the cubanelle pepper to use so I par cooked a potato in the microwave and fried it up in butter & olive oil with the pepper & onion. I also tossed together the package of Sweet Kale Salad I had in the drawer. Supper was done.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_24_21

Cookin Lore

Son texted....................... Mom, do you need a pint and some food this afternoon? So, how can I turn him down. Met him at his brewpub and had what is going to be a feature there basically all the time. A kind of "Shepherds' pie" with a different meat filling each week. This week it's venison, so that's what I had with a ceasar salad. Yummy, forgot to take a picture. Danny had just come from the airport. He drove Lisa there who is on a trip to Croatia with two girlfriends.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Late this morning I noticed Dane standing in front of the open refrigerator (yes, it's a rule you must open the doors and stand there for 5 minutes ~ with the 'open door' alarm dinging ~ to decide what you want to remove) and I asked him to NOT choose the leftover sloppy joes because that's what I'm planning to have for supper.

OF COURSE, that was what HE wanted......

But HE'S a wise man ~ he decided on leftover tacos for his lunch instead......

So, we'll have sloppy joes and a little bitty can of baked beans dressed up with a slice of chopped bacon to add some flavor.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE didn't get to eat them for his lunch but he enjoyed his supper.....

(( leftovers ~ ~ sigh..... ))

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_25_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

I have been trying recipes from a BBQ cookbook I got last year. The one I tried today uses a mustard based BBQ sauce. I put a tomato sauce on the other. Mustard BBQ sauce is an acquired taste I guess. It was popular in the Carolinas in the 1700's before tomatoes were used in sauces. The rub was to salty for my taste too. Oh well, you can't hit a home run every time you swing at the ball.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0914
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0913

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs, baked potato and a cauliflower “steak” all done in the oven. Yumm!"

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_25_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Moussaka. She picked up two nice egg plant this morning at the farm around
the corner from us. Luckily It was from Canada; along with the red skinned potatoes. We try to buy produce grown in Canada. The ground is colder, and less chemicals added. Even though it is grown in hot houses at this time of the year.
I had some eggplant at 4:30, just as it was pulled from the oven.
I had a piece, but I was still hungry; so I grilled a small fillet magnon, as my second course. LOL
Dessert was coconut cookies and 1 scoop of ice cream.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I have been trying recipes from a BBQ cookbook I got last year.  The one I tried today uses a mustard based BBQ sauce.  I put a tomato sauce on the other. Mustard BBQ sauce is an acquired taste I guess. It was popular in the Carolinas in the 1700's before tomatoes were used in sauces.  The rub was to salty for my taste too. Oh well, you can't hit a home run every time you swing at the ball.

I agree about not caring for a mustard based BBQ sauce, Norm. I think, at our ages, we're pretty well used to tomato based, sweetish sauces for our pork. The other one I have difficulty with is the white Alabama sauce ~ but maybe that's because the couple times I've had it there was too much horseradish for me.

I also have trouble putting too much mustard on hot dogs or grilled bratwurst ~ I like just a tiny bit and most places think it's a major taste that should be shared with the taste of the meat....

NormM

NormM

This mustard sauce isn't as mustard-y as mustard. It is about equal parts vinegar and it has some honey in it. It is a rather mild and sweetish. I think it might be a better match with chicken. I think Alabama white sauce is also better with chicken. The thing about these ribs that ruined it for me was with the combination of the rub which was too salty. I used the same rub on some brisket and it was OK then but really not good with the mustard and rub combined.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're meeting Patrick (Dane's boss & our former contractor) at an Irish Pub for supper. Dane has been there a couple times with Patrick & neighbor Jim and tonight is my turn to check it out. I'm told the food is excellent so I'm looking forward to the evening outside 'the bubble' of The Villages.

NormM

NormM

I think it was Buddah who said Your best teacher is your last mistake. Yesterdays ribs were a mistake. I tried again today and these ribs turned out well. May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0915
May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0916May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0918

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftover lamb chops from a couple of days ago, and a salad. All kinds of good things in my salad!"

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! - Page 5 05_26_15

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I think it was Buddah who said Your best teacher is your last mistake. Yesterdays ribs were a mistake. I tried again today and these ribs turned out well.

I've never heard of that, but that's a great thought/quote. That, in my opinion, fits right there with "If it doesn't give you joy, get rid of it."

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum